Start by marking “The End of Echoes” as Want to Read:
The End of Echoes

The End of Echoes

Two families, forever linked by tragedy.
Ruby Dunkin is in an abusive marriage. Her best efforts aren't enough to shield her two children from an abusive father whose cruelty knows no bounds. Their volatile situation ends in tragedy when Ruby's eldest son, Billy is torn away from everything he loves. Consumed by hatred and self-loathing Billy becomes the thing he hates the
Published August 16th 2019 by Gestalt Media

To ask other readers questions about The End of Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Echoes

Start your review of The End of Echoes
Peter
Nature?
Dawn Hosmers The End of Echoes is a gripping story that weaves fictional lives with disturbing realities of abuse and torment. There are moments of harsh physical and psychological brutality that are deeply upsetting. The novel is emotionally raw but while the horror mounts, seeds of hope compel us to maintain our connection with many of the wonderfully drawn characters and urge them forward towards reconciliation and break cycles of misery and harm.

The story is told from multiple
Beth
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how to start this review! The End of Echoes took me on an emotional journey I wasn't prepared for.

Let's start with mechanics. Dawn Hosmer is a flat-out talented author. I knew that from reading Bits and Pieces. In The End of Echoes, she used multiple, first-person narrators and a non-linear timeline. And, impressively, she did it well. The story progressed smoothly, even as it jumped forward and backward in time, and I connected with nearly all of the main characters.

I struggled
Shawn Burgess
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawn Hosmers sophomore novel, The End of Echoes, is a hard-hitting, 365 degree view of the impact of a terrible rape and murder, and how that pivotal event profoundly shapes the lives of those effected in different ways. And though this novel deeply stirs emotion as we grieve for characters, whose lives begin to self-destruct in the wake of the horrific murder, the novel is about hope. About crawling out from the wreckage and rubble of ones life to reclaim some semblance of who they mightve ...more
Lali Love
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, where to begin? This novel is every parents worst nightmare about abuse, violence, trauma and loss. I dont want to give the plot away too much but the Authors storytelling is so unique, with multiple points-of view of the personal tragedies experienced by the characters. I was taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride and felt empathy for each of the characters during their incomprehensible, painful journey. Its raw and so realistic, emotionally enthralling and heart-wrenching. ...more
Rob Rangel
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended

Wonderfully written novel that I recommend to anyone. The book captivated me from the beginning and I found it hard to put down. Looking forward to reading more by this author!
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
An exceptionally well-written crime thriller...

The End of Echoes by Dawn Hosmer is a wonderfully written and richly descriptive novel, with brilliantly drawn characters driven by heartbreak and the need for justice. The author weaves a well-crafted crime thriller with intriguing twists and turns that will captivate the reader from the first page to the last. Skillfully constructed, its a story that will take you on a heart-rending but fascinating journey.

The book description gives a sneak
Natasha Walker
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew, where do I begin. First off, I went back and forth about starting this book. I just didn't know what to expect and had no real opinion about it but decided to pick it up anyways. I'm really glad that I did. So many emotions! This author was able to tell a really dark and intense story in a way that made the reader really feel and understand the emotions that each character was going through. I wouldn't be surprised if the author had first hand experience with this subject matter because ...more
Charly Cox
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A riveting, tragic, and compelling story that I'd pit against some of the industry's best authors.
Most of us in our lives have been struck by sadness or tragedy, and some of us, more so than others. This book tells that story. And as much as I wanted to sit and read this page-turner in one go, I couldn't because the writing is so powerful and unrelenting that I was planted right there with all the characters (even the minor ones), living their tragedies through their eyes, wishing with all my
Emmy Bennett
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping story of two families whose lives were destroyed by the choices one makes. Hosmer has the characters all going in different directions with grief, anger and rage. The author also shows how each character dealt with their emotions differently.
It has many triggers, and I found myself having to walk away from some of the scenes and coming back later to read. A romance book was also being read at the same time because after reading this, I needed to read something happy,
Jodi Christensen
I had the opportunity and privelege of reading an advanced copy of this amazing story by Dawn Hosmer. The emotional journey she takes you on with these characters is incredible. I often found myself heartbroken by the tragedies endured on all sides of this story. But this isn't just a story of loss, it's a testament to the human spirit, the resilience of youth, and an honest look at how circumstances beyond anyone's control have a lasting impact. It's a journey of emotional discovery that will ...more
A.V.
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dawn Hosmer writes raw to the bone with a ribbon of hope left dangling to hold on to. The End of Echoes is a complex book - I'm not sure I'd call it a slice of life because it's more epic than that - that weaves the tragic tales of two torn families back and forth through time taking the reader on the journey to finally reveal how and where they were knotted and tied together in an unforgettable place of bad timing.
I listened to the audiobook version terrifically narrated by the talented Marnye
Ruth Anne Garcia
L.F. Falconer
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An introspective dive into the lives destroyed through substance abuse, madness, and hate in this tale of two families torn apart by death and despair.

This is by no means a "light read," and at times I had to put the book down just to walk away and breathe for awhile before I could continue on. As someone who lost a sibling at a young age to manslaughter as well as surviving domestic abuse, there were many emotional battles contained within these pages that hit really close to home. However, the
Sheryl Mumby
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The End of Echoes. Let me start with wow, what an emotional and gripping book. I was so captured by the characters they haunted meI had to know what happened and what happens next! From the first page to the last, Dawn Hosmer delivers a dark and enthralling story surrounding the mysterious death of a teenage girl.

The End of Echoes kept me turning pages and unable to put the book down. It is a complex and riveting tale told from multiple perspectives. Each characters viewpoint drew me further
Teresa Hurst
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawn Hosmer has done it again! After reading her debut novel, Bits & Pieces, I was eager to get my hands on Echoes. I wasn't at all surprised to find myself attached to each of the characters and finding myself completely immersed in the story.

Through multiple points-of-view, Hosmer introduces us to two separate families as they make their way through personal tragedies. A common event ties them together in a way that changes each of them forever. We see each character struggle to find their
Lyn
This was a hard read. So real. Triggering. Filled with truth and the ugly parts of life no one wants to think about, let alone jump into the trenches and experience with characters.

But it's honest and truth we all must face, the two sides, nature versus nurture, and the consequences when nurture is horribly lacking.

The author takes you through the valley of the shadow of death, plunges you in the river to drown, pulls you back out, and leaves you to weep alongside the thousands of victims of
Shauna
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to become so emotionally involved with the characters in this book! Author Dawn Hosmer brings life to the many people involved in this tragic story, artfully revealing the journey of each, through point of view storytelling. Hosmer has a true talent for weaving a realistic tale, with knowledge of human behavior and an empathetic, sympathetic heart.

I almost feel that I need to read it again, to catch anything I may have missed, because of the beautifully subtle way that this
Anna Ray
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not read this book fast enough. Wonderfully written and unforgettable story that was so easy to become immersed in. But make sure you have a tissue ready because the emotion in this book will shred your heart strings. I found myself crying several times throughout which is not typical for me. This is the second book from this author I've read and was not disappointed at all. Looking forward to future books from this exceptional writer.
D.H. Schleicher
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The End of Echoes is an emotionally exhausting read (and I mean that in a mostly good way) about emotionally exhausted families going through extreme trauma and change. Some of the tribulations are repetative, but they speak keenly to cycles of abuse and behavior. Not surprisingly, the author is a former social worker.

Hosmer does a great job bouncing back and forth amongst timelines and multiple 1st person POVs.

This is not for the faint of heart as child abuse and other violent crimes are
Shannon Condon
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dawn Hosmer again shows she is an extremely talented author. End of Echoes is not for the faint of heart. I am usually a marathon reader but I had to but my book down a few times and walk away due to the intensity of the subject matter. It was compelling, frightening and heartbreaking. Ms. Hosmer is not afraid to be gritty and real. I look forward to her next book!
julie e
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like Bits and Pieces, End of Echoes pulled me into its world of people looking for answers.

The author creates humans, not simply characters, and I was swept through the story on the waves of their emotions, sometimes needing to remind myself to breathe.

The subject matter of senseless death and domestic violence are not for the weak of heart, and could certainly be triggering to the reader. I pushed through the rapid beating of my own heart as the author kept me guessing and wondering and
T.J. Fox
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall: 3.5/5 Stars
Characters: 3.5/5 Stars
Believability: 3.5/5 Stars
Personal Opinion: 3.5/5 Stars

I am so torn on rating this one! It was really well written and it is absolutely going to grab your emotions and drag them along for the ride. While this packs an emotional wallop, it does so heavily and not always in a way I enjoyed.

This is the kind of story that gives you a glimpse into this small, ugly slice of life in the form of a massively traumatic event and how that kind of trauma can spider
Helen Whistberry
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intense and heartfelt story about very heavy subject matter. The book follows multiple points of view as the lives of two families eventually intersect to tragically life-changing results. It's hard to say I enjoyed this book exactly as the events described are so heart-wrenching and hard to read at times, but I greatly appreciated the empathetic presentation of all sides of a story where ultimately everyone is a victim of one kind or another. I found the multiple POVs a little choppy and ...more
Alain Davis
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin. This book is more than just a well crafted story. One I have never read the likes of before. Having a story presented in first person for multiple characters is no easy feat and Dawn Hosmer pulls this off flawlessly. Not only that, but the story is presented in a nonlinear fashion - again, difficult to do, but seemingly easy the way its executed here.

This book absolutely captivated me - the first person perspective drew me in and connected me to each character...invested me in
Laurie Holbrook
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful story of love, hate, and tragedy.

I loved Bits & Pieces by Hosmer, she has once again outdone herself. I look forward to reading more by this author.

In a quiet midwestern town, two families are connected forever. One in an abusive household, the father an alcoholic who takes his anger out on Ruby and her two children. The other, a loving family, until their daughter goes missing.

Imagine two families, their lives like invasive roots jetting off in all directions, are consumed by
Eileen Hammond
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gut-wrenching, well-written book. It tells the tragic tale of two families who have unthinkable things happen. One story is about the horrors of child abuse and its implications, the other is about a girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ms. Hosmer tells these tales seamlessly, working toward the connection and conclusion. The characters are real, and their actions are believable. A word to the wise, keep your tissue box handy.
Ken Biltz
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome read

Never have I encountered so much emotion while reading a book. There were so many scenarios that played out in this one, that I could imagine in everyday life nearby. I truly felt for this family and at times had a hard time reeling it in. I enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed Dawns first story, I really enjoy reading her work.
Laura Wilson
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The End of Echoes is a story that will draw you in, make you invest in a cast of imperfect characters and compel you to keep reading to the breathtaking end. The author does an incredible job of telling the story from multiple points of view and making you care about the outcome. It's truly a wonderful read!
Lark Sampson
Nov 16, 2019
Stoney deGeyter
Jan 17, 2020

• Watcher
  • River
  • Matriarch
  • The Forbidden Scrolls (The Forbidden Scrolls #1)
  • Alone In The Light
  • The Frost Eater (The Magic Eaters Trilogy, #1)
  • Ghost Story
  • The Tear Collector
  • Fairy Tale Lies (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • Percival Gynt and the Conspiracy of Days
  • Wilders
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Other People
  • The Housekeeper
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • Eagle (Linear Tactical #2)
  • Shamrock (Linear Tactical, #3)
  • Prophesy (The King & Alpha Series, #1)

News & Interviews