Start by marking “Flash and Gleam: Light in Our World” as Want to Read:
Flash and Gleam: Light in Our World

Flash and Gleam: Light in Our World

The soft glow of a candle, the blink of a firefly, a burst of fireworks--light is everywhere in our world! Rhyming text and illustrations follow four children as they experience many different forms of light.
Published March 3rd 2020 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Flash and Gleam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash and Gleam

Start your review of Flash and Gleam: Light in Our World
La Coccinelle
Flash and Gleam focuses on the many types of light that light up our world. From the sun to lightning, auroras to fireworks, each kind of light is luminously illustrated. A very simple rhyming text accompanies the pictures.

I really enjoyed the illustrations here. They're absolutely lovely. However, I think the description on the inside jacket of the book does it a disservice, since it isn't entirely accurate. This book is supposed to follow "a diverse group of kids", but they're only "diverse" i
***Book Lady ***
What a beautiful children's book! The illustrations are breath-taking , with beautiful short prose poetry to shine the beauty with the light sources pictured. exquisitely. For all ages, because I sure did enjoy every page. It forces you to look at each page with an artist's eye as to texture, color and subject. Loved it! ...more
Alicia Bayer
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The art in this book is stunning, and worth getting the book for that alone -- but only for a young child. This book really needs to figure out its audience, as it's written like a board book for toddlers but it's about the science of light (it's recommended for grades K-2).

The illustrations show various children around the world and things that light up -- from the sun to rainbows to candles. The text is very sparse. For example, one page has the text of "Blast/Beam/Let us dream" with a pictur
Moonkiszt
Featured in grandma reads session.

The art in this bright, illuminating (couldn't help it!) book was a great way to start for our session - the first of our two picture books, followed by a graphics format and then a chapter book. True to the name of the book, it is all about sources of light. Natural sources, manmade sources and heavenly sources.

A lovely tour de luz. . . .

A great way to start our session.
Diana Murray
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sparse, poetic text ("Bolt/Flash/Thunder crash") paired with gorgeous, luminous illustrations take readers on a journey of light, from candles, to weather phenomenon, to fireworks. Various holidays are included, such as Diwali, Hannukah, and Christmas. I love the diversity of families and the overall flow of the story, from morning to night. Sure to "spark" some interesting conversations. ...more
Jenna Grodzicki
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Flash and Gleam is a celebration of all the light we encounter in our world. Whether it is natural light (sunlight, rainbows) or created (candles, fireworks), people interact with light in many ways every day. Sparse, poetic text paired with rich and colorful illustrations make this book shine.
Jesse
A very, very simple introduction to the many different forms of light in our world, told in verse! The illustrations are beautiful and I loved the representation, as well as the additional facts about light in the back matter.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The pictures are a delight! An exploration of all the ways light touches our lives--from when we wake up in the morning, to celebrations to different faiths, to fireflies. The text was sufficient, though not extraordinary: basically handfuls of punchy verbs to illustrate what's on each page. ...more
Amy Layton
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, astounding book!  With warm colors and a diverse cast, this non-fiction book about light and how we use it creates a sense of understanding through everyday and not-so-everyday experiences.  Take for instance sunrise and sunset--both are natural, and occur everywhere.  Take for instance a lantern festival, or a post-shooting shrine.  Or even, take for instance, a candle or a nightlight.  Light comes into our lives every day, and depending on where we're from or what culture we ...more
Leeya
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute book for small children about the different forms of light.

The illustrations are simply beautiful. I loved looking at the pictures and the artwork is the best feature of this small book.

Content wise, the book didn’t offer much, unfortunately. Every page contains a few words that rhyme and describe the light. The pages are not very informative but it would be easy to talk to your kid(s) a bit more about everything you see on each page.

There are two pages with information about light for
Vidya Tiru
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts

The illustrations glimmer and shine, and make this book glow while the minimal and simple rhyming text make the reading a sweet experience.

The book itself, with its sparse yet perfect for the book text and gorgeous artwork, will work very well for younger audiences (3 – 6 years), though everyone can definitely enjoy it! The information included in the back matter explaining scientific facts about light sources included in the book (fireflies, the rainbow, and more) as well as brief de
Emma
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is stunningly gorgeous book that became an instant family favorite! My kids are aging out of most books with simple, descriptive wording, but even my older two loved this one. The art is spectacular and the emotion it evokes captures attention even though there isn’t a particular plot or a lot of words.

I loved the broadness of this book’s look at light. Natural lights, man-made lights, daytime, nighttime, seasons, countries, and cultures are all touched on. It’s not a long read, but it’s th
Janet
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This book has absolutely incredible illustrations. The main text is a celebration of light, written in poetry. The back matter includes science about light and some of the cultural celebrations that surround it. I love light and the electromagnetic spectrum, so of course I had to read it.

I really liked this book. When I was reading the main text, I sometimes found myself wondering exactly what I was reading about. Tons of information were crammed into the back matter, but I found myself wanting
Jared White
This book has wonderful racial and ethnic diversity, it is a celebration of light and shows how humanity uses light to mourn, remember, delight, and celebrate. The holidays shown are July 4th, Yi Peng (Thailand), Diwali (a Hindu holiday), Hanukkah (a Jewish holiday), and Christmas (a Christian holiday). But it also shows how light is just a wonder of our day to day, sunshine, lightning, fireflies, and more.

The text is short enough that it could probably be used with toddlers but it could also be
Viviane Elbee
This is a poetically written non-fiction book about light in our world and it discusses both "natural" lights (sunlight, auroras, lightning, moon and stars...) along with lights used by humans in celebrations (birthday candles, fireworks, Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas...) Though the main text is very sparse - basically just a few words describing the illustration - there is back matter at the end of the book describing each type of "light" that the book covers. I loved the illustrations in this bo ...more
Victoria
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When I ordered this, I thought it was a non fiction book about light -- something close to the back matter. Instead, FLASH AND GLEAM is a gorgeous celebration of light, a illumination of the many ways light is used throughout the world from morning to night. To light the way, to celebrate, to dance, to heal...and to reconcile the impermanence of life when we watch it's daily disappearance.

Le has painted golden warm illustration which perfectly supplement the text and Fliess delivers simple yet
Iris
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant celebration of the different kinds of light and how they work in our world. From the rays of the sun that nurture and help grow living things as well as bend to form the colors of the rainbow to the various types of man-made lights that we use in different cultural celebrations around the world, this colorful book explores them all in such a way the youngest of audiences may appreciate. Back matter provides more detailed information for older children, but the main text is appropriat ...more
Gretchen
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Fliess and Le for this heartfelt multicultural and global celebration of light and our common humanity. The evocative spare text paired with Le's inspired drawings make this a book that will stand up to multiple readings and inspire conversation over years between parent and child. The back matter will inform these conversations, with information about the science of light and the ceremonies pictured in the text. Highly recommended! ...more
Jillian Heise
A beautiful book with that grows perspective with limited, simple text that shows light in the world through the eyes of four families around the globe. I do think it was a missed opportunity, however, to represent a family beyond just ones with a Mom & a Dad. Back matter adds more about the science of light + additional information on celebrations involving light from cultures/religions around the world.
Linda B
I loved this picture book. The theme of the book is light and we have everything: light helping things grow, the northern lights, firelight, candles, sunsets, lighthouses, sunsets, birthday candles, fireflies, fireworks, and MORE! The illustrations are charming and I especially like the pages that spotlight Dewali, Hanukka, and Christmas. Children from many nationalities, cultures, and ethnicities are the characters. Text is a simple 5 or 6 syllable poem. I really love this book!
Deborah
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully Illustrated book for young children about the different lights they can see. Very early introduction to the multi faith society they live in as illuminates Divali and Hanukkah.
Recommended.
I was given this book by Netgalley and the publisher. This is my voluntary and impartial review.
Julie Abery
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In spare rhyming text and luminous illustrations, Flash and Gleam, introduces young readers the world of light all around them. From daylight to moonlight, lightening and rainbows, candlelight and celebrations. Back matter at the end of the book gives more in-depth information on the different kinds of light.
Michelle Schaub
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sue Fliess’s simple, lyrical text and Khoa Le’s bright, lively illustrations pair beautifully in this homage to the different ways light makes life joyful around the world. This book illuminates diverse cultures and celebrations. The backmatter sheds light on the science behind light and provides more information about the holidays depicted in the book. So many layers to love in this book!
Susan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The simple rhyming text and gorgeous illustrations really impressed me. Fliess manages to pack a lot of emotional punch into each short rhyming couplet, while several of Le's art spreads are worthy of framing. It's an inclusive and (pardon the pun) illuminating book about the science and emotional connotations of natural and manmade light, from fireworks and candles to thunder and sunshine. ...more
Barbra
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
This brightly illustrated picture book features different families around the world and how light plays a big part in our lives no matter where we are. At the back of the book we learn a little bit about what light is, and the different kinds of light produced by nature. A wonderful picture book to remind us our world is and always will be beautiful.
Carol  V
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book about light, natural light, and events and celebrations featuring light. The book reads like poetry and has magnificent illustrations that define these different types of light! A great book to learn about the science of light through the information at the end of the book. Khoa Le, the illustrator, is a freelance illustrator, graphic designer, and painter based in Vietnam.
Emily Sammartino
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-lit
Light is everywhere and a huge part of our world. There are many forms and there is an explanation behind them all. This book explains the different forms of life and the science behind it all in a fun and interesting way for children. It is a great book to integrate into a science lesson and assess prior knowledge with students.
Lori
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweet and simple, beautifully illustrated story that illuminates the world of light for young readers. At the end, it includes more detailed information about light and the celebrations associated with light around the world.
Mandy
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the illustrations. The text is ok, but I was halfway through the book before I understood it was describing the different uses of light. I know it says it in the title, but a little introduction sentence at the beginning could have made it much clearer.
Lauren Kerstein
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-debuts
FLASH AND GLEAM: LIGHT OUR WORLD is a beautiful multicultural celebration of light and life. With sparse, powerful text, gorgeous illustrations, and informative backmatter, this book is sure to light up bookshelves everywhere!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hike
  • The Name Jar
  • Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera
  • See the Cat: Three Stories About a Dog
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents
  • Nonsense! The Curious Story of Edward Gorey
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • One Little Bag: An Amazing Journey
  • The Bear's Garden
  • On Account of the Gum
  • Snail Crossing
  • Bedtime for Sweet Creatures
Sue Fliess ("fleece") is the bestselling author of Robots, Robots Everywhere!, I'm a Ballerina! and How to Trap a Leprechaun, and more than 35 other children's books including Sadie Sprocket Builds a Rocket, Mrs. Claus Takes the Reins, Mary Had a Little Lab, Beatrice Bly's Rules for Spies, and many Little Golden Books. Her books have sold over 850,000 copies worldwide. Her background is in copywri ...more