Start by marking “Welcome to the Party” as Want to Read:
Welcome to the Party

Welcome to the Party

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  293 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Inspired by the eagerly awaited birth of her daughter, Kaavia James Union Wade, New York Times bestselling author and award-winning actress Gabrielle Union pens a festive and universal love letter from parents to little ones, perfect for welcoming a baby to the party of life!

Reminiscent of favorites such as The Wonderful Things You’ll Be by Emily Winfield Martin, I’ve Love
Published May 5th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Party

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Welcome to the Party
Faloni © arr
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daanng, that party was amazing.. Had a crazy little dream that I was three months pregnant after reading this book though.
Rod Brown
Another one of those picture books about welcoming a new baby to the family. I appreciate the sentiment and the joy behind it, but I just don't get much out of actually reading this sort of book.

Nice pictures.
Allie
I have been so starved for new picture books! I stopped at Target and read basically everything they had for sale. This was a stand out! The rhymes are very sweet and it flows really well. This would be absolutely lovely for playgroup for babies & toddlers, although lord knows when we'll get to do in-person programs again. ...more
Alice (Married To Books)
Listened to the very short audiobook via BookBeat UK!

Simple and told in very beautiful and poetic writing, Welcome To The Party is a letter from all mums to the soon to be born babies and how welcome they will be made to feel and loved. Narrated by Gabrielle herself, it is a lovely listen.
Cheryl Gladfelter
Lovely story about a family welcoming a baby. Sweet illustrations.
Mary
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have you seen Welcome to the Party by Gabrielle Union, illustrated by Ashley Evans, floating around the interwebs yet? Just published on Tuesday, Welcome to the Party has received lots of well-deserved attention. Written in rolling rhyme, illustrated with bright and diverse yet simple and eye-catching illustrations, and hugely celebratory, Welcome to the Party is a wonderful new addition to book celebrating parents and babies!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Let's start with the dedication. Union writes, "To my daughte
Yaritza
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adorable story of a beautiful baby girls arrival to her own party. A party with family and friends that await her arrival, to finally join the family. Her party includes hugs, playtime, laughs, bath-time and snuggle-time before bed. The illustrations are super cute. The love Gabrielle has for her beautiful daughter Kaavia are seen throughout the book. This is a great book for children that will be having a new brother or sister. A babies arrival is such a beautiful moment for the whole family ...more
Phoebe
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sweet rhyme, adorable art, and very Black, culturally. Reminds me of how we held my little cousin's 1st birthday party at 12 midnight, and it was a rollicking, music-filled event with a VERY awake baby (still a night-owl, currently in her 30s). I think it's the lively focus on the colloquialism 'welcome to the party' and guest appearances from extended family that separates this picture book from the pack of other "mama-loves-baby" books, many of which I find saccharine beyond what I can stomach ...more
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text and beautiful illustrations? Yes, please. There’s a lot of mention of a party and it felt a little unclear as to if it was a welcome party or a birthday or something else. I get the concept that life is a party but the disconnect between text and illustrations made this 4 stars and not 5 for me. But this is a book that should be on your baby shower list or a 1st birthday list! It’s a great addition to any at-home library.
Cara Byrne
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
"We'll always celebrate you. Our world is complete. Joining other celebrity-written picture books, this is a joyful celebration and welcome of a new baby's arrival to her family.
Union's husband can be viewed reading the book here, while participating in the PBS Kids read aloud series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0NCF...
Tracey Santos
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt little love story

Gabrielle shares her love for her baby with us in a sweet and easy to read loving story. You can see the bond between mother and child in the illustrations and also the love in the family. My favorite illustration is the dance party - the family is filled with joy in celebration of baby Kaavia.
Haveyoureadthat
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing

For all my girl moms out there, Welcome to the Party is the perfect gift for your little lady! I loved the vibrant colors illustrated in this beautiful book, I mean just look at this cover! It perfectly described my feelings towards Savanna’s arrival here earth side. This book would make for a perfect gift for mom’s to be.
Sophia
May 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the Party by Gabrielle Union
Published May 5, 2020

Danielle
This is an adorable book showcasing the love between a Black mother and her child, and the love that continues throughout the rest of their family. The pictures were really cute and this representation is so important.
Angel Figueroa
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Copyright © 2020, Traditional Literature, Children, Family, Welcoming, Baby.
I liked that it talks about a new born. I might use it as a way to teach kids that they are the honors when they are having a party.
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Toddler

A newborn is welcomed to the party of life that is full of family, dancing, and daily routines. Nothing new here but it serves as an excellent read-aloud and baby shower present, providing much needed representation of Black families.
Macy Grider
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a super cute and interesting book that I think students will love! It shows the love between the parents and child and how we celebrate a child's birthday with love. I think students will find this book very interesting! ...more
Janet Damon
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Story!

We need more books that celebrate the joy of becoming a new mother and in a blended family! The pictures are sweet and I think children will enjoy seeing this birthday celebration.
Jessi
Cute!!
Mama Bearian
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom-dad
A mom welcomes her new daughter to the world. This is a sweet book with rhyming text and great illustrations. I love the expressions on the baby and the mother.
Katie
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
A cute picture book with fun rhyming and beautiful illustrations.
Lisa D
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Perfect book for new parents!
Ayenoumou
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute little book probably dedicated to a baby born. Bad seed still tops this tho. Sorry not sorry. 🤷‍♀️
Nicole
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to see that Gabrielle was going to be a mother! This book is such a sweet ode to the little one and how they truly bring such joy in our lives!
Jennifer Wolf
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet and completely adorable. I can’t wait for baby Delanie to have this book to treasure... feels like it was written just for her.
Goshen PL Childrens
GPL Storytime Goes Online on July 3, 2020
Cheyenne
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet
Christina
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Such a good book to read to your child.

• Bedtime Bonnet
  • I Promise
  • Sulwe
  • Antiracist Baby
  • Pinkalicious and the Cupcake Calamity
  • I Am Smart, I Am Blessed, I Can Do Anything!
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • Kamala and Maya’s Big Idea
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Love Makes a Family
  • Pete the Kitty and the Case of the Hiccups (My First I Can Read)
  • Oona
  • Cool Cuts
Gabrielle Monique Union-Wade (born October 29, 1972) is an American actress, activist, and author. She began her career in the 1990s, appearing on television sitcoms, before landing supporting roles in teenage comedic films She's All That and 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).