Start by marking “The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre” as Want to Read:
The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre

The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre

Perfect for fans of Becky Albertalli and Nina LaCour, this #ownvoices romantic comedy from New York Times bestselling author Robin Talley has something for everyone: backstage rendezvous, deadly props, and a seemingly insurmountable obstacle to True Love.

Melody McIntyre, stage manager extraordinaire, has a plan for everything.

What she doesn’t have? Success with love. Every
Published December 1st 2020 by HarperTeen

Start your review of The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre
Miranda Reads
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
description

Just finished an Unboxing and Review Video for the December 2020, January 2021, Holiday 2020 and New Year's 2020/2021 boxes from Once Upon a Book Club!

My reading rep code: MIRANDAREADS10

description

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Iris
Feb 10, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
queer theatre kids queer theatre kids QUEER THEATRE KIDS
-ˏˋjamieˊˎ-
Melody, stage manager extraordinaire???? You cannot tell me that this book wasn't written specifically for me, Jamie, also stage manager extraordinaire (or so I like to think).
Sophie
I’m sad because I really, really wanted to like this book. As soon as I learned about it I was so excited to read it because 1) sapphic romance, 2) theater kids and especially 2.5) backstage theater kids, 3) they’re doing Les Mis!! my fav musical!! and 4) a curse? ooooh sounds mysterious!

Sadly, the more I read, the less I enjoyed it. The biggest problem for me, was that I just couldn’t stand Melody, our main character. Which, when you don’t like the main character in a story, it’ll be way more d
Larry H
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fun, queer, YA rom-com with theater kids performing Les Miserables , plus a theater curse? Sign me up for Robin Talley's The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre !!

The Beaconville High School theater program is well-known. Many of their shows have won awards through the years, and some students have gone on to bigger and better things. But a lot of peculiar things happen during productions, so each year the cast and crew have to follow a lot of superstitions to try and pacify the “theater curse
Leah Waters
I LOVED this book! Which I honestly didn't expect because I don't care about theater at all, but this book was such a joy to read. I highly recommend it to fans of rom coms, contemporary, theater--or just reading in general. :) ...more
Shannara
Nov 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute read. I did really enjoy this, but I was super annoyed about the whole love curse and Melody’s reaction to how things were going. Trying to keep secrets from a bunch of your friends is generally never a good idea and never works out. So this is 3 1/2 stars rounded up for me.

But other than that, this was super cute!!! Melody and her girl, to remain unnamed due to spoilers, are really sweet together!! I rooted for them the whole time and wanted things to work out!!

I didn’t l
The Nerd Daily
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Alexandra Nae

Before picking up this book, I wondered, “will this be my new favourite?”. I asked myself that question because everything about The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre is right up on my alley and I was really looking forward to reading it. Now that I’ve finished it, I have the answer to that innocent question: a big fat YES.

With humour and wit, great writing style, relatable characters, irresistible and swoony sapphic romance, and a flai
Lizzie Rhoades
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Was this cute? Absolutely. And I was enjoying it all through the first half. But I hate the ending. To me, having Mel apologize to the whole cast and crew constantly for things that weren't her fault was ridiculous. Yes, she made some mistakes, and obviously lying isn't cool, but the crew and cast put a huge amount of blame on someone who gave 200% to the show. Nobody else took any responsibility for their parts in this. It switched to a moral of "things don't have to be perfect" at the end and ...more
Anniek
It's been a while since I've read a book I've disliked this much. I felt like it would never end, it was physically painful to read this. It's entirely too long for a YA contemporary, but I would never complain about that if it was good. But it really, really wasn't. I was bored out of my mind reading this, and the writing was awful and just... made no sense at times. I've loved Robin Talley's historical fiction novels I've read (Pulp and Music From Another World), but I really wouldn't recommen ...more
Izzie
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely, sweet sapphic read and I had such a good time reading it. If you’re looking for something fun, lighthearted, queer, and totally theatre geek centred this is the perfect book for you.
rebecca | velvet opus
There's no such thing as a perfect show...

This YA sapphic romance was super cute! It's got queer theatre kids, a production of Les Mis and strong teenage friendships. There's SO much theatre drama, with superstitions and rivalries between the cast and backstage crew, and the ROMANCE! It's fabulous!

I read this via the Libby App.
Kristy
A sweet and diverse YA theater romance

Melody McIntyre loves theater with all her heart. She puts everything she has into her role as stage manager for her high school's productions. But when Mel's love life affects her latest show, she realizes that maybe her romances and the success of the shows go hand in hand. After all, it's pretty well known that their theater is cursed. So Mel swears off love for their current spring production of Les Miserables. Then she meets Odile Rose, a rising actor,
Tilly
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

After reading Robin Talley's "Music from another world", I was really excited to read this book! A queer romance based on a school production of Les Miserables? What's not to like?! Sadly quite a bit...

Firstly the things I enjoyed. This was a fun book, it made me smile and I did enjoy reading it.
I haven't read a YA book so focused on theatre (especially backstage) before so that was really interesting. Also I adore Les Miserables so I enjoyed all the references and could picture the set a
Ama
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
The entire premise of this book was slut-shaming one teenage girl... but don’t worry she’s actually a virgin! 🙄🤢 All of these *ssholes act like Melody owes them 1) to be single 2) to inform them if she is not. I couldn’t stand Melody, but I still wanted to tell all of her “friends” to f*ck off.
S
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very different in terms of style than the books I’m usually reading, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I found the writing to be refreshing and perhaps that’s due to it being YA, but it’s definitely also down to the writer.

Melody is the stage manager for the performing arts productions at her high school. She’s known as a serial monogamist, even as a junior. Like most people involved in theatre she follows a number of superstitions and her crew manages to convince her that for the sak
Amber
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book had me so stressed out! The lying, the drama, the mishaps, I swear I was about to tear my hair out!

Also, I don't know who I am this month having read two books revolving around acting and plays, the other book being Roman and Jewel. Not to mention the fact that I liked both of them!

I will say that this was a really fun and addictive read. I was questioning many of our MC's decisions, but this is a YA book and insta-love and friend drama is prevalent. The fact that I was so invested in
Alice 🌙
525 ⭐
This was so cute! It made my nerdy theater heart so happy haha.
sirius proserpine
oh my god it’s queer theater kids

the only part of this that turned me off and made it 4 stars instead of 5 was the section written entirely in dialogue. it really annoyed me and made it hard to read. otherwise, 5/5. was mel really fucking annoying? yes! but she was trying, and i can vibe with that. also, i just really liked the concept :,)
Amanda Belcher
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ya, lgbtqia, romance, 2021
Well, this was absolutely delightful. God, I miss theatre.
Jaye Berry
Nov 02, 2021 rated it liked it
When I finished this I was like yeah!! Finally a Robin Talley book that I can rate more than three stars!! But now I'm not so sure??

The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre is about high school stage manager Melody. After getting dumped on opening night, the show ends in catastrophe. Believing she's cursed, Mel swears off any romance until after her school's upcoming production of Les Mis is over. But Mel didn't count on Odile, rising star in the acting world and spring performance lead. Now Mel's plan
John Amory
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is full of the kind of theatre people I avoided in high school: vapid, annoying, narcissistic, egotistical, overly dramatic, super sensitive, whiny, entitled children.

If you read this and it makes you nostalgic for your high school theatre experience, I'm sorry to say you were probably one of these theatre kids.

mf
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
theater but make it extra gay
Alexa Blart, Library Cop
Pandered directly to the former theatre kid in me, but with a cute queer couple. Needless to say, I loved it.
Dilayra Verbrugh
Jan 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
How to sum this up? Queer theatre kids! The main couple is sapphic and the bisexual rep was great!
I loved Odile, she was such a sweetheart 😍
Taschima
"If I fall in love, the musical's doomed."

A young adult rom com in which the stage manager, who everybody says is cursed, falls in love with one of the actresses and shenanigans ensue.

The book was structured beautifully, and reading it was a breeze (even though it felt quite long for a light rom com). The romance part was of course my favorite part, as it has a tiny bit of forbidden romance vibe to keep you on your toes. Mel and Odile are really super sweet with each other and communicate i
sallanvaara
Bad bad bad, hate hate hate.

I'm tentatively giving this book 2 stars for being bad without being downright offensive, but it was almost offensively bad, to be honest and I might bump it down to one depending on how pissed I am at it in a few days' time. I definitely had a one star time with it, except for the bit where I got to roast it mercilessly over messenger with Emma. That was a good time. Everything else? An extremely bad time.

To be fair, I picked this book up with pretty cynical expectat
annikasplatzindieserwelt
Okay. Off to the barricades: Let’s talk about "The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre"!
THIS. BOOK. IS. EVERYTHING.!❤️🎭

Did you ever ask yourself if a book was especially written for you? I did and "The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre" was one of them! This book got me helpless, I just HAD to love it. My inner musical-gay-heart was thriving the whole time whilst reading!💕

The book was full of musical references and oh damn, I LOVED it! Even tho I have to (re-)listen to all of them immediately now!😂

The ch
Lauren
Jul 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and dramatic celebration of musical theatre !!

Melody McIntyre has a lot of love to give, and she definitely falls easily. With her dedication to stage management and love of musical theatre, her ex's can't help but feel a little forgotten. With theatre superstitions running wild, her theatre friends decide that Melody needs to not fall in love during a show, because things seem to go horribly wrong, when she is dating someone. Melody thinks that's an easy ask, and stage management c
Helen
Apr 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-books
This book was so cute! Always wanted a wlw theater ya novel and I would have devoured this book in high school

• Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)
  • Rodham
  • Mazie
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions, #1)
  • You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
See top shelves…
I live in Washington, D.C., with my wife, our baby daughter, an antisocial cat and a goofy hound dog. Whenever the baby's sleeping, I'm probably busy writing young adult fiction about queer characters, reading books, and having in-depth conversations with friends and family about things like whether Jasmine's character motivation was sufficiently established in Aladdin.

My website is at http://www.

Articles featuring this book