Start by marking “Beyond the Surface” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Surface

Beyond the Surface

Raen has always longed to see the world beyond the surface, but nothing could compel him to break the most ancient law of the merfolk. Could it?

Raen should have found his mate during his first hunt, instead he almost died. Two years later, he’s struggling with internal fear, and his father’s disapproval.

Until he encounters a land-dweller.A man he feels a deep and insta
Published September 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Surface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Surface

Start your review of Beyond the Surface
Rachel Emily
This was a sweet, sexy, well-written retelling of The Little Mermaid - I adored Raen and every little thing about him.

Raen is a young merman, about 21 in human years, and has yet to find a mate. He's a disappointment to his father, only more so when he does something he should not - save a drowning human man, Steven. Raen is banished from his home and loses his merman tail, but luckily Steven is there to save him.

I loved all the moments of Raen discovering the human world - food, clothing, seei
bri ♡
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
this was a cute easy read and could've possibly gotten a four stars had it been slightly longer and if we gotten more from the plot, but overall still cute.
Joyfully Jay
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

Beyond the Surface is a creative take on a Little Mermaid-style tale, and I had a good time with it. I’m into the paranormal worlds of shifters, but I’ve never read anything like this. Raen and his family aren’t shifters. They’re just…merfolk, and they’ve always existed. I was intrigued by the idea, so as soon as I saw it, I grabbed it up.

The story is interesting and compelling. There aren’t many people who haven’t read/seen the Little Mermaid, and this feels fam
Kaila
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
amazing.. sexy.. fun.. and interesting. it is so much fun and good.. i loved it.. this is my favorite by this author so far.. it is just so much fun to read and was really well written. very good and i cant wait to see if more comes of this series.
jazmin
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love stories about merfolk and this one didn't disappoint!
Alex25
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m finally out of my reading slump and this was a very cute and a light book to start with!
Kirstin
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this sweet tale of a merman and his human mate!

Raen was never meant for the life under the sea. His future was always going to be different than his brother's and he was fine with that. But he never expected a human!

Steven, emotionally scarred from a painful health condition, has taken some time for himself. To rest, heal, and find his path again. When he's dropped off in the middle of nowhere by plane, he's got a week at a time by himself before he gets a delivery for the next week. Af
Jennivie
Shelves: encore
This beautiful story is as much about the sometimes fragile bonds of family as it is about the power of love. These two men have stolen my heart. I read this book in almost one sitting because I had to know how it would all play out. Right now. I’m intrigued by the way merman society works. I want to know the whole story, every detail about every person or merman mentioned. This wonderful book has many delicious tropes: Age-gap, different species, sweet insta-love, fated mates, danger, sizzling ...more
Valerie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Raen, who thought he missed the chance to meet his mate, saves a human, Steven, although he will get banished for doing so. He's torn between what he's been taught and saving this human before he drowns. And by saving Steven, Raen finds what he's been looking for all along. This is a sweet read with destined mates, great relationship development, and a lovely ending. Highly recommended!!
Sue
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL FANTASTICAL ROMANCE

This is a beautiful story. Colette Davison is a FANTASTIC Author, who is working to spread her romance wings. This is an EXTRAORDINARY story. Raen is a merman who saved a humans life. Steven alone on a deserted island fell out of his row boat trying to fish. This is a fantastical romance that is truly beautiful and different. This is an enjoyable story. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!!!!
JoAnn
Sweet story. I will try and review later when I don’t have a borderline migraine.
Karolina Cebula
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raen disappointed his father for the first time, when during his first hunt instead of finding his fated mate, he almost lost his life due to excessive bravado. Since then, he's afraid to take part in another hunt, which drives his father mad. However, the straw that broke the camel's back turns out to be the moment when Raen breaks the merfolk's rules and saves a drowning land-dweller, a man who, as it seems, is his fated mate. At that moment, Raen loses everything that is dear to him. Is Steve ...more
~BookNeeds~
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute. Endearing. I love merman tropes. I liked Raen a lot. My only “one off” is how well they communicated, at times it was not very believable. I would have wanted to know what happens years down the future.
Anabela.M.
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing a review for 𝐁𝐞𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 is one of those occasions I wish I had a better way with words,because I'm sure I won't be able to convey just how beautiful I think Steven and Raen's story really is.

Steven doesn't have a plan for his future after 5 years of fighting leukaemia and hopes that living alone on an island would help him figure out a new purpose in life. But he never would of imagined to find it in the mesmerizing eyes of Raen(Reef),the  ethereal creature Steven discovers passe
Maggie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ll get straight to the review since you’ve read the blurb. First, this book is aptly named, and after reading the book, I LOVE the title. Not that I didn’t love the title beforehand, but reading the book makes the title all the more special.

The romance is very sweet, but intense, and quite steamy. Since this is my first merman story, I enjoyed reading about the culture of the merfolk. The author gives a wonderful explanation of family, kinship, rules, and even a powerful tentacle-like woman wh
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
I picked this new release from Colette Davison cause I’m a huge fan of the Little Mermaid since I was a baby, I still preserve the videotape of the Disney edition. Plus I’m a little obsessed with mermen stories in the mm genre. Beyond the Surface was a lovely surprise, I enjoyed it a lot.

I particularly appreciated the main characters, both Raen and Steven seemed to me very real; sure Raen is not human, but in his merfolk world he has gone through some hard time, like some of us he feels differen
Szidi ☼
Mermen.

I say it again - MERMEN!

Got it?! This book is about mermen!

YESSSS!

I love mermen books so much - althoug it was only the second one, but hey, I know I loved this genre when I first started Omega from the Ocean by Amy Bellows. And now, this book! Another love!

Steven and Raen's story was beautiful, I loved reading it, although I wanted more mermen scenes, but this way was good too. Raen was an interesting character I loved him and loved how strong he was.

The fated- mate thing was really
Scooby2
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I heard Colette Davison was coming out with a paranormal romance, including merfolk, I knew I had to read it. Once I started reading I couldn’t stop, I loved it. I really loved Raen and his brothers (well most of them), and I liked Raen with Steven. This is an insta-love story, so if you don’t like reading them or aren’t a fan of them, this won’t be for you. “Beyond the Surface” is a sweet fairytale story with a touch of angst and a lot of touching (you’ll see). It was so nice to see Raen a ...more
Lillian Francis
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fish out of water tale. No, honestly, this is a literal fish out of water tale. When Raen finally finds his mate, his mate is drowning, and male, and human. To save him Raen breaks the Merman laws and is banished from the ocean. This story is beautifully written in a very sensory and sensual way, with Raen unable to speak, so much communication is carried out by touch. As such you can understand that when the conflict comes it is at part a miscommunication/overreaction and at part Raen's lack ...more
Coline Peterson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe you could loose everything by one unselfish act, but gain everything you have ever desired. After saving Steven's life Raen was banished from everything he had ever know and thrown into a world where he had to learn what is was like to be human. Together they explore the world around them as they learn about the love growing between them. It is a very fast reading book with just the right amount of fantasy, drawing you in making you wonder if how a long loving future is even poss ...more
Sarita Chapdelaine
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is a sweet and quirky story with great characters and an intriguing storyline. Steven and Raen are unique and interesting characters and I love how they meet as well as Steven's determination to save Raen even though their inability to communicate verbally does not make it easy for them. Raen is thrust into a world that he does not understand and Steven is very patient with him as they find a way to communicate with each other. They have a lot to deal with and they will have to make some im ...more
Courtney Minor
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and heartwarming

I honestly didn’t know what to expect other than this being a book with a beautiful cover and written with a merman, but I loved this story. Colette Davidson did an amazing job bringing this story to life about a Merman named Raen and Steven a human who turns out being his fated mate. I loved that even though both have been through a lot they learn to trust each other and fall in love with all the difficulties that stand in their way. It’s a beautifully written story and I
Essie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
AL
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This retelling of the Little Mermaid story is a cute read I enjoyed a lot!
There were some shortcuts and simplifications that made the story less appealing, but I understand that an insta love fairytale has it’s own rights and the author did it justice in this regard.
If you like fantastical sweet stories, buy without hesitation.
Kathryn Manzella
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beyond The Surface by Colette Davison is a Paranormal mm romance with a fated mate and age gap aspect. Raen and Steven are great characters and their story is entertaining, sweet and satisfying Definitely kept me reading.
HAYLEY SMITH
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I adored this beautiful tale! I love merfolk, fairy tales and a beautiful romance and this book completely enchanted me.
Raen and Steven were fantastic characters and I would love to read more paranormal stories from Colette Davison, as this one was wonderful!!

Bran Zesti
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a read!! This two are wow. So many emotions and so much love. Ups down... I cried at one point,. You'll have to read it to see when. I smile a lot and I didn't put it down. All and all. I'll be reading it again.
Charlotte Kane
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favourite by Colette. I loved how she created a story with two characters who are completely different from one another, and from two different worlds. This book left me hooked and wanting to know more.
Wendy Ballard
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the absolute best story. Everything I like to read about and more. Such a great story I will read again and again. A keeper!!
N
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite fun!

• The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • The Guppy Prince (The Silver Isles #1)
  • A Pebble for Lewis (Alaskan Pebble Gifters, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • An Egg for Ansel (Alaskan Pebble Gifters, #2)
  • Secrets & Lies
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • Prince's Master (Masters #1; Calluvia's Royalty, #4)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • Captivating (Elite Protection Services, #2)
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • A Home for Ben (Alaskan Pebble Gifters, #3)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • Stay
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
I'm an indie author from the UK, who writes contemporary and paranormal M/M romance. My books have flawed characters, happy endings, and lots of heart.

VISIT MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE: