Start by marking “You Are Here” as Want to Read:
You Are Here

You Are Here

Emma Healy has grown used to being the only ordinary one in her rather extraordinary family. But when she finds a birth certificate for a twin brother she never knew she had, along with a death certificate dated just two days later, she realizes why she never felt quite whole. She sets off on a trip to visit her brother's grave. Peter Finnegan, her neighbor, comes along fo ...more
Published May 19th 2009 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Cara
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of road trip reads
Marketing can be a wonderful thing. Why you ask? Well I wouldn't have bumped up this book up on my to-read list if I hadn't seen the new cover. Shameful, I know! Then I made the connection this was the author coming out with The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and so of course I had to proceed with the next logical step: read the book.

Emma Healy is the youngest member of her genius family. Her parents are professors for the local college and she has three older siblings who are ju
Pinky
Jan 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was on a huge reading marathon this week and all the books that I have read so far are books that I love and most of them are rated 5 stars. Since I just finished the Archived series, I was having trouble picking up another book. After reading the Dork Diaries, I still couldn't stop thinking about the Archived series, it was crazy!

This is me while I was reading:

So I decided to pick this book up because I thought it would help me recover. But instead, it just made me really bored. I was so en
Sara
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
After Emma discovers a birth certificate for a twin brother she never knew she had, she sets out on a road trip with her neighbor, Peter, heading for North Carolina where her brother was born (and supposedly buried a few days later), hoping to find answers about this unknown part of her life. Along the way, the two of them get to know each other, and I'm pretty sure a romance develops between them, although I stopped reading before that happened.

There was nothing particularly wrong with this boo
Najwa (najreads)
A fast and light read. SUPER CUTE and fluffy. Have I mentioned I absolutely love roadtrip books? Yeah this is one of my favs!
Patrixia Lansangan
I don't like giving ratings lower than 4 I swear....

But I was really bored reading this story. Maybe it's because I don't like reading in the 3rd person point of view. But this story was not fast paced and wasn't attention grabbing enough.

I did enjoy the friendship aspect but their love relationship didn't really grow even towards the end and that was such a downer for me.

Well...I'm sure others will enjoy this much better than I will, I was reading this for fun, but it seemed like a book you re
♡Ann  Matalines♡
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

Third Point of view. *cringe*
ضحى الحداد
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hate-it, e-book
It has been a while since I full on hated a book this much, but this book infuriated me like crazy and I barely finished it .. the story is about coping with grieve and getting to know yourself better but what I read was all about how bitchy this girl Emma is for dragging poor Peter in her pointless adventure and he has to put up with her bad temper and her lack of trying to be nice despite the fact that she actually asked him to join her !!
WTF Emma ? are you for real ? I really hated her so mu
Jen
Aug 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: youngadult
Yep. This book was a snoozefest. And I didn't realize it soon enough to quit.

Emma and Peter are two boring teenagers. Emma is excessively needy, whiny, and demanding. Peter does whatever Emma says. They take a really boring trip all the way down the east coast without their parents' permission, and everything I didn't care about was resolved really easily.

I was overjoyed when it was over.

The end.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, contemporary
My heart is so toasty now! That was just such a sweet and heartwarming story.

This was a beautiful road trip story of two teens who felt lost, and sort of found themselves and each other. This is a quite book. It's not filled with action and adventure, but it is filled with self discovery and some really lovely moments, where the characters mourn their losses.

I smiled and shed some tears, but most of all, I felt my heart fill with joy.

Martha
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

ANOTHER road trip book! :P

I was surprised to find that this book was written in third person (I've gotten so used to the narrative being in first person in YA books) but I think it worked well with this story. Especially when it came to the different voices of Emma and Peter.

Both Emma and Peter are loners and both struggle with their role in family life, though for different reasons. Emma was raised in a family of odd geniuses and, being pretty average herself, has never felt like she belongs.
Jana
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I wasn't much of a fan of Jennifer E. Smith's other books, I'm still very glad I picked this book up. It wasn't the most unique, emotional or amazing one, but it was really good and really fun, strangely enough, since this is about a girl who finds out she had a twin brother who died only two days after being born and that fact has been kept from her for all of her life. She ends up stealing her brother's car, breaking down with it and then embarking on a tour to visit her brother's grave ...more
Elevetha
This sounded way improbable and silly, and it is. And that's okay. But it didn't do as much for me as some of Smith's later books. For whatever reason, this ended up being mostly dull and not worth my time. Smith's other books, barring Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between, are much more enjoyable.
Melanie
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabrc, kindle
You Are Here was just as I expected -- a great contemporary YA read. I've read several of Jennifer E. Smith's novels and have yet to be disappointed with any of them. I think I can say now that she is a definite favorite YA author of mine. I loved this book and cannot wait to read even more of her novels.

The characters in this story were great and I loved the dog (felt so bad when it got injured!).
Serah
Wow. I never expected to actually like this. This is one of those coming of age stories that is damnably relatable. During our teenage years, we try to do silly or rebellious things - whether the sense of curiosity is too high or you just want an escape of the mundane everyday life. In this story, our protagonists embark on a roadtrip without telling their parents. Along the way, they got to know each other better as even if they were neighbors for 8 years, their relationship has never reached a ...more
Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Well obviously it was a good easy read because I finished it in about 4 hours. 8-) Good story though, and not really all that juvenile for a post that is considered YA. Has some good things to say and while I only picked it up for a challenge I am glad I read it.
Jennifer Girard
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5

This book had a lot of potential to be a 5 stars for me but it was boring... the last half of the book was WAY better than the first! The dog was amazing tho!
Laurence R.
I would have liked this book a lot better if it hadn’t been for Emma. I just didn’t like her a lot, even though there were parts of her personality that I liked.
Hafshie
Yeah, another J. Smith!

Be ready to be taken on a roadtrip!

To go on a trip is something, to go on a trip alone is another thing, but to go on a trip alone in a stolen car with the company of a stray dog is completely a different thing, not to mention scary, specially when you’re just 16-turning-17. But to Emma Healy, it’s something that she needed right now, something that might take her to find the missing piece in her life.

Peter Finnegan on the other hand, just wanted to get away from home (a
Meaghan
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
“And for the first time in his life Peter understood what the opposite of lost was: that it had nothing to do with maps or directions or staying on course; that it was, in fact, nothing more than being found.”

Stars (Out of 10): 9/10

Overall Thoughts: Jennifer E. Smith’s books are always a nice break from the tension and seriousness a lot of other books and series have. It’s always nice being able to pick up one of her books noncommittally, thinking “I’m going to feel something while reading this,
Angela
Jan 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know what to say other than that this was really really boring.

I didn’t expect much out of this because, well, it’s written by Jennifer E. Smith. The Comeback Season was a DNF for me and I only sort of liked The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Even if I never read any books written by her, I’d still be hesitant to start because it doesn’t seem like a book I’d like. The main reason I wanted to read this was because Emma and Peter go on a road trip. I’ve never actually been
Alexa
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexa by: Estelle
Shelves: read-in-2012
(Review originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

There is nothing as lovely to me as a beautifully written book, and You Are Here is definitely a prime example. I was eager to start another book by Jennifer E. Smith and this was the first one I stumbled across in the library, so I took the opportunity to read it. I'm glad I did, as this book features some of my favorite things - road trips, self-discovery and a little romance.

I adore road trip books. This one is pretty special because it picks out
Stephanie A.
I latched on to both main characters (and their families. and houses. and awesome small college town. even their getaway car) as soon as they were introduced, which really surprised me with Peter, because male narrators in YA are not known for being awesome. I came for the road trip, and I quite enjoyed it despite its general lack of planning beyond the endpoint, but it actually became secondary beneath how much I loved just seeing these two quiet, withdrawn loners reflect on their lives and spe ...more
Haley Isabella  BellaTheBibliophile
This book was a pretty fast read and I enjoyed it, a lot.
See my full review here ; http://bellathebibliophile.blogspot.c...
Hamster
This may be an amazing book. At least my friend, Krista liked it a lot. I‘ll never know, because I couldn’t get past the wretched prose. Renni Browne has ruined me forever for authors who overuse the present participle. (I used to LOVE Brandon Mull!)

Back to “You Are Here.”
I’ll try not to say anything about her name. But if my parents had called me Michael Johnson or something equally forgettable you better believe I’d be using a pen name.
Would you rather read a book by John Jones or Jolt Becken
Morgan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tears-for-days
This is by no means my favorite of Jennifer's books, however, it did have me getting teary-eyed and smiling at the ending. Jennifer is a master of weaving geography and travelling into her books. You Are Here is no exception. I loved Peter's obsession with maps and how he wanted so badly to just go SOMEWHERE. I get the travel bug so often that I can imagine reading about so many places just to feel like I've been there.

My issues with this book were the ways Emma siblings just happened to live c
Eve beinguniquebooks
Emma comes from a family of high achievers but has always felt lost.

Peter has his alcoholic police sheriff whilst being a high achiever.

Emma concocts a plan to travel to North Carolina arriving just about on her seventeenth birthday as she wants to find out about a brother she never knew, Thomas her twin.

After a break down and a pick up, Emma and Peter become travel buddies along with their companion of a stray three legged dog. As the two travel to Gettysburg, have a run in with the police, mak
Callie Smith
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute book. I was not expecting how emotional and deep this was, I loved the conversation about family and not feeling like you fit in. I cried while reading this, for sure they were happy tears... I was then immediately very frustrated by Emma which was slightly annoying. This was so captivating and the level of nerdiness that Peter has for History is very adorable and cute. The dog quickly became of my favorite characters of the book, he was such a sweetheart and for a dog lover ...more
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
"Some of the most interesting people I know are a little bit nuts."

Having read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight I expected a fun, quick read but instead I was surprised to get an engaging story that touched upon some important issues. Sure, it had some romance elements and the two main characters had their ups and downs, but I related to certain aspects on a personal level, so I connected to the story really quickly and enjoyed it. The side characters were as well written as
Samythenerdybeasty
A powerful message of learning to find your way and find out who you are while traveling the roads that interconnect with those around you and your family. In addition, grief is a big theme as well and I thought it was discussed, portrayed and written about in an excellent manner to give insight, even to those that may have not have ever experienced grief as of yet. The traveling on the road trip was both fun and symbolic, adding to the story in the best of ways. While the writing was pretty sim ...more
  • Reunited
  • Breathing
  • Perfect Escape
  • Fingerprints of You
  • Black Painted Fingernails
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.
“But a small part of him also knew that the reason he'd never ventured anywhere was because of the worry that the reality of the world wouldn't match up to his dreams.” 31 likes
“There are certain things in life that you'll be forgiven for, no matter how thoughtless or stupid or reckless, but if you do that same thing twice, you're on your own.” 24 likes