Start by marking “Facebook: The Inside Story” as Want to Read:
Facebook: The Inside Story

Facebook: The Inside Story

He has had unprecedented access to Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg for three years. And now renowned tech writer Steven Levy delivers the definitive history of one of America's most powerful and controversial companies: Facebook.

In his sophomore year of college, Mark Zuckerberg created a simple website to serve as a campus social network. The site caught on like
Published February 25th 2020 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about Facebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facebook

Start your review of Facebook: The Inside Story
Lahiru Perera
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good one. Steven runs through almost everything since Facebook's early days. Goes into detail about some significant areas as you might expect. Though some parts I felt Steven was being a little too kind on Facebook.
Alex
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
The first third of this book is an interesting story about the early days of the company. The rest is just re-telling of last years' critical coverage of the scandals associated with Facebook with little insight or new information.
Emily Carlin
A readable history of Facebook. Also, in some senses, a biography of its founder.

I thought Levy was a little too neutral, but maybe thats the price he had to pay for the level of access he got (many interviews with Zuckerberg, Sandberg, etc.). The book veers a bit into glorifying-boy-genius-founder territory, but does temper that by suggesting a healthy dose of luck was necessary for FBs success (examples of companies doing similar things at slightly different times, etc.).

Even with the
Robert Krangle
Mar 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Steven Levy (the writer) is a pal of Mark Zuckerberg. He wrote or imho re-wrote the true story of Facebook just as Mark would like it. Levy tries to appear unbiased by putting Mark down at several points in the book but when it comes to the key re-writes of the Facebook story he does just as Mark wants. Mark is also "family friends" with David Kirkpatrick who wrote "The Facebook Effect" another book that does the same re-writes of Facebook's history. These books are garbage for doing that. Mark ...more
Dan Watts
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
In 10 years, when when/if young people take an interest in the early years of Facebook, then this book will be considered the authoritative guide. However, I can't recommend the book to anyone today: either you're already familiar with most of the material in this book, or you don't care about Facebook. Although the book is extensively researched (as proven by dozens of pages of footnotes) and the author was able to interview Facebook's executives, I don't remember anything of significance in ...more
Vitaly Barilo
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
The access to the company employees and Zuckerberg himself is a great thing, as we got the side of the story, we couldnt have gotten otherwise, but it also has another side of being too forgiving.
There is a lot of talk about apologies, but as history shows they dont mean anything to Zuck and company. I was hoping for a more Super Pumped vibe, as both Facebook and Uber are horrible companies managed by evil people, but its not that.
Also would be nice to have a more equal look on Republican vs
Jonathan Mckay
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fb-moral-hazard
15th book of 2020. An Outsider's view.

If you want an entertaining remix of the facts, I would recommend watching 'The Social Network.' It's equally inaccurate and has a better soundtrack.

Having worked closely on the areas that Levy covers, I can affirm that Levy is no Bob Woodward. Levy's book reads like a summary of press from 2017-2019, too busy dunking on Facebook's mistakes to bring any new insight to the table. If you want to understand Facebook, read Ben Thompson's newsletter, or Chaos
Marcel
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vor Jahren las ich von Steven Levy bereits In The Plex und war beeindruckt, wie viel Zugang er von Google bekam. Mit Facebook ist es genau so. Als jemand, der seit Facebooks Gründung Tech-Blogs liest, wusste ich zwar von seiner Entstehung, Gegenwart und absehbaren Zukunft, aber Levy hat so guten Zugang zu Insidern, dass die Interna dieses Buch für mich lesenswert machten.

Es ist eine faire Abhandlung der Erfolgsgeschichte Facebooks, die irgendwann zu der Geschichte eines Unternehmens wird, mit
Jolynn
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terrific read about a man, a company, an industry and an era. Levy did a remarkable amount of information gathering and had enough access to make his book ring true. The book is arranged topically more than chronologically - which makes complete sense from a story telling perspective but which made it a little confusing at times to know what was happening when. Useful resource documenting the development of social media writ large as well. Very engaging.
Annika
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Everything you'd ever want to know in any way about the start-up, running, and predictions of Facebook. Everything. And it's so dry you need Gordon Ramsey yelling at it.

I did learn I'm more well-read than Zuckerberg because he didn't know that "poke" is a euphemism from Lonesome Dove hahahaaaaa. I mean why would he know that with his zabillionaire self.
Phil Simon
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent history of perhaps the most controversial, important, and despised company in the last fifteen years. To be sure, Levy's balanced approach understandably offends Facebook and Zuckerberg haters. As someone who's read his other books, though, I expected nothing less than the well-researched, informative book that he ultimately delivers.
Michael
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Super informative, sometimes a little too much. I admit, I skimmed the last hundred pages or so because it was such current events that I knew a lot of the story already. Very heavily researched, and Levy is a great writer, I just feel this was one I could have read a chapter every so often instead of plowing straight through.
Michel Salim
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating history

As a Facebook engineer who joined just before the 2016 election, this is a fascinating insight into what the management thinks about the issues of the day as well as Facebook's mission.

Not commenting on the facts, but the atmosphere portrayed, and the big picture, seems accurate.
Dennis McClure
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Facebook is a fixed, if controversial, part of our culture. I found this exploration of its history fascinating. Well written, of course. This author has impeccable credentials.

To understand the evolution of Facebook is to understand the evolution of the world we live I n.
Fawaz Abdul rahman
Tells the story of Facebook, and stories of all its other major apps such as whatsapp and instagram.
and discusses facebook's approaches towards privacy, growth and future palns.
as well about major scandals especially the recent ones during the 2016 election.
Manas Saloi
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
If you have been following facebook's story over the last few years, there are not a lot of new things you will learn from this book. It also seems like an authorised account where the author was trying his best to put Facebook and Zuckerberg in a positive light

Kanishka Sirdesai
Picked this book assuming it will be a different story. Was surprised to find that its another puff piece. The author left the earlier lawsuits out. Can understand why, he needed the access to the bigwigs. Read this book only if you havent read anything about Facebook. ...more
Hank
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow incredible depth and nuance. It's not all villains or saviors, because that's not how the world works. I highly recommend this for anyone that is interested in the history of Facebook through the present day.
Mark O'mara
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book (audiobook). Essentially an excellent history of Facebook with some good well balanced insights into Mark Zuckerberg. I wanted to get up yo speed on some tech history and this well written and well respected book delivered.
Vlad
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid journalism. Lots of hard questions asked. Facebooks reputation damage feels self-inflicted, ultimately. ...more
Cathy
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5. Good deep background written by Steven Levy, a master on tech subjects and making the complicated understandable and giving context and insight into the players.
Tarun Pothulapati
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read, especially if you haven't been following a lot of news around Facebook and its companies, etc. The content in the first half of the book was definitely more interesting to me, as it gives a third person view of the core events that happened in Facebook's Growth like News-feed, etc. Definitely gives you an insider perspective (especially for good things.) Mark's view on acquisitions and his thinking around the core events was also interesting to know.

The one downside for
Jill Joplin
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is extremely fascinating and a little scary.
Rich Saskal
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian nonfiction.
Rich
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure this book has convinced me to stop using Facebook. Though their recent work to promote reliable COVID-19 resources deserves praise, regardless of their history of misinformation spreading.
Nate Johnson

• The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Status Anxiety
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Proud Boys and the White Ethnostate: How the Alt-Right Is Warping the American Imagination
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
  • The War on Everyone
  • Profiles in Corruption: Abuse of Power by America's Progressive Elite
  • Trust Exercise
Steven Levy is editor at large at Wired, and author of eight books, including the new Facebook: the Inside Story, the definitive history of that controversial company. His previous works include the legendary computer history Hackers, Artificial Life, the Unicorn 's Secret, In the Plex (the story of Google, chose as Amazon and Audible's best business book of 2011), and Crypto, which won the ...more

News & Interviews

“When you’re in a hole, stop digging.” 0 likes
“Zuckerberg hadn’t approached Thefacebook that way. He was building something that he wanted for himself, and people were naturally flocking to it. That had been the story of the giants of tech—Apple, eBay, Yahoo!, Google.” 0 likes