Start by marking “The Forgotten Sister” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Sister

The Forgotten Sister

In the tradition of the spellbinding historical novels of Philippa Gregory and Kate Morton comes a stunning story based on a real-life Tudor mystery, and of a curse that echoes through the centuries and shapes two women’s destinies…

1560: Amy Robsart is trapped in a loveless marriage to Robert Dudley, a member of the court of Queen Elizabeth I. Surrounded by enemies and wit
Published November 10th 2020 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Sister

Start your review of The Forgotten Sister
Carrie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Louise Wilson
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a duel timeline story that's told from 16th century Tudor times and the present day. It centres around the mysterious death of Amy Robsart. Amy was married to Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester.

Dudley Lester and Amelia Robsart are set to divorce. But she's found dead at the bottom of the stairs. The same way Amy had been found centuries ago.

This story has a duel timeline that blend Historical and modern day stories. It revolves around the mysterious death of Amy Robsart. The past is told
Zoe
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging, mysterious, and immersive!

The Forgotten Sister is an intriguing time-slip novel set in England during both the sixteenth century as well as present-day and is told from two different perspectives, Amy Robsart, the wife of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester whose untimely death is laced with suspicion and doubt, and Lizzie Kingdom, a young star who after getting mixed up in a scandal where history seems to be repeating itself uses her psychometric abilities to uncover what truly happened.
Alison
Lizzie Kingdom is a children's TV presenter, and her best friend from school, Dudley Lester, is the lead singer in a rock band. When Dudley's wife Amelia dies in mysterious circumstances Dudley and Lizzie fall under suspicion. But there are parallels with events which happened in Tudor times where Amelia's ancestor Amy was married to Robert Dudley, first Earl of Leicester and lover of Queen Elizabeth.

Alternating between Lizzie's POV in the present day and Amy's POV in the 1500s we learn of how A
Joanna Park
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s nothing I like better than a good dual timeline mystery and Nicola is one of my favourite authors for this genre.

In The Forgotten Sister the author has taken a real historical mystery and made an intriguing story out if it. I really enjoyed learning more about Amy Robsart and her horrible, callous husband Robert Dudley, particularly as I think there was more to Amy than history has given her credit for. The characters really seem to come to life with real character traits that they were
Teresa
Brilliant. Didn't want to put it down! Beautifully written.

Loved the two stories - Amy Robsart in 1560 and Lizzie Kingdom in the present day, and how their lives are entwined. (But you don't quite see until the end of the book... so cleverly done.)

I don't want to say too much, just read it! It has everything; history, magic; time travel, mystery, and of course, romance!
ChellsandBooks (Michelle)
I would like to thank Sian Baldwin at HQ for asking me to be apart of the blog tour for The Forgotten Sister.
As soon as I read the blurb for this book I knew I had to read it. I love a story that features the Tudors and like Nicola Cornick whose Grandma had books on the Tudors, I love nothing more than watching the amazing TV series or reading historical books and wishing I could be apart of that era.
The Forgotten Sister is set in the present day and in 1560. In 1560 we follow Amy Robsart who i
Kathy
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth I, Robert Dudley, Tudor England with a modern twist and a curse. What’s not to love I ask you? Not. One. Darn. Thing. That’s what.

Thanks to NC for breaking my ho-hum book slump. You are a treasure, Ms. Cornick! A real treasure. Write faster.

NOTE: The romance element for the modern counterparts of this dual timeline is drawn with a light, subtle hand. Just my style actually but may not suit others I know.
Julia
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten Sister by Nicola Cornick is a marvellous time-slip novel that has its roots in fact. The story has two time periods – 1550’s and present day. Actual historical figures are within the tale including Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley. They were both familiar to me as a historian.
The novel is an exciting read as both stories run parallel, causing the reader to read with heart racing. As the action flows, we are powerless to prevent the conclusion.
I loved the characters. They were well dra
Elliot A
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher, Graydon House Books, for providing me with an ARC of The Forgotten Sister in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The Gist

I was intrigued by the duality of the narration The Forgotten Sister promised to offer. One part historical fiction plus one part contemporary fiction makes for an interesting read for sure.

Throw in the promise of a murder mystery, a ghost and a special gift and I’m all yours.

The Details

I did not particularly like the two main cha
Ashley
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars Rounded Up! This book is SO GOOD! It is intriguing, moving, heart-wrenching, thrilling, and so much more. Whenever I picked up "The Forgotten Sister", I was whisked away on an emotional journey, and was hooked from the first page to the last.

This is the second book I have read by Nicola Cornick, and oh I love her books! She truly knows how to bring a story to life. She brilliantly weaves together various aspects of a mystery until each and every puzzle piece comes in to place, and she
Kari
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, for-review, kindle

The Forgotten Sister is told in dual timelines. In 1560, we follow Amy who is in a bad marriage with Robert Dudley. Robert is infatuated with the queen. All Amy wants is to escape her life. In the present day, we follow Lizzie who finds herself at the center of a scandal.

This ended up being a mixed bag for me. I liked Lizzie's timeline more than Amy's. I felt more invested in her. Amy came across as unlikable to me. I just didn't have much sympathy for her and felt like she made poor decisions.
Sharlene
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicola Cornick always writes books I enjoy. She has such well developed characters that one can relate to and this book was no exception. Could not put it down and it keep me up late reading. Highly recommend for any historical fiction/mystery fan.
Alyson Stone
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, history, mystery
Book: The Forgotten Sister
Author: Nicola Cornick
Rating: 2 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Graydon House, for providing me with an ARC.

This one is a rather difficult one for me to rate. On the one hand, I had a great time reading this. On the other, I really didn’t. I think a lot of it had to do with the pacing. I found the first half of the book to be very boring. Nothing really happened until at least the halfway point and it was really annoying to have to wait that long to
Christina
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time! The Forgotten Sister has everything you want from a time slip story and it was utterly, utterly brilliant!!! I've been a complete bore, totally ignoring my family since I started reading it, but I really didn't want to put it down. The author has managed to incorporate the story of Amy Robsart (wife of Robert Dudley in Tudor times) so cleverly with the characters in the present, and I love her take on Amy’s death – it definitely rang true ...more
Joanne
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous book. Really enjoyed the time slip between Tudor and Modern times. The Forgotten Sister had me captivated from beginning to end. Would highly recommend ❤️
Sandra
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten Sister is a dual timeline novel split between the sixteenth century and the present day. It centres around the mystery surrounding the death of Amy Robsart, wife of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. His cruel treatment of his wife, and the ruthless ambition fuelling his desire to be the partner of Queen Elizabeth 1, makes him a thoroughly despicable character.
In the present day, Dudley Lester, a member of the boy band Call Back Summer, is married to Amelia Robsart and they are on t
Judy Odom
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Forgotten Sister is a story that is told from the past and the present.

I love the Tudor era , what could be a better read?

There is Amy during the 16th century who is married to Robert Dudley , Earl of Leiscester , who in turn is infatuated with Queen Elizabeth 1 not to mention power.

Amelia in present day is found dead under suspicious circumstances and poor Lizzie Kingdom (love the last name) becomes one of the main suspects due to her relationship with Amelia's husband

I found both stories
Jane Hunt
This story rooted in historical fact weaves a tale of ambition, deceit, love and the paranormal, which engages and informs. The ultimate betrayal in the Tudor times, echoes over the centuries, with a series of tragic consequences.

Based on the mystery surrounding the death of Amy Robsart, the circumstances of her marriage, are explored, amid the intrigue of the Tudor court. In the present day, there is a suspicious death of another Amy, whose marriage was in tatters. Lizzie running away from a me
Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves)
My first book by this author and it won’t be my last!

This story is told in two different time periods. One set in Tudor England beginning after King Henry’s death and the other in present day. Both stories revolve around a mystery and death. Amy Rosbart is a young women in the 1500s when she married Robert Dudley, they had a very strained marriage and he was more dedicated to Elizabeth the 1st more then his wife.

In present day Lizzie Kingdom is a celebrity whose best friends Dudley wife Amelia
Virginia Winfield
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a bit different than the usual books I read. I loved how the story went from past to present times. I was never confused as to what time period it was and what characters were being talked about. I loved that this book gave a possible conclusion to what really happened to Amy Robsart during the early reign of Elizabeth l. I loved each story and the characters. I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Gretchen
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story of the intrigue surrounding Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley which shifts between the Tudor era and present day England. The characters share related names which makes it easy to follow. I recommend it for mystery buffs who want to delve further into that early time period.
Looking forward to reading more from Nicola Cornick.
I received this novel through a goodreads giveaway.
Sandra Danby
‘The Forgotten Sister’ by Nicola Cornick is a retelling of the Tudor love triangle of Queen Elizabeth I, Robert Dudley and Dudley’s wife Amy Robsart. The death of Amy has intrigued historians for centuries: did she fall downstairs, or was she pushed? Did her husband arrange her murder so he could marry the queen? Tudor history is mashed together with time travel and all kinds of mystical goings-on.
Cornick has fun with her explanation of events, telling the story in dual timelines and mirroring T
Rachel
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten Sister by Nicola Cornick is an excellent historical fiction that is a dual timeline novel. I have found in the past that either these dual timelines are in excellent taste and enthrall me, or they can be confusing, tedious, and disappointing. The Forgotten sister falls into the former of the two: an intriguing book that kept me engaged throughout its entirety, satisfied and interested from beginning to end.

This book alternates between16th Century England Amy Robsart and her husban
Susan Page
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story very much. It is two stories entwined, the characters in both having similar names, and for a long time - similar fates. In the Tudor era part of the story we are following the life of Amy Robsart, wife of Robert Dudley, first Earl of Leicester. It is a loveless marriage, he is a man of great ambition and has plans to marry Elizabeth 1st, the Queen. In the modern day part we follow the story of media celebrity Lizzie Kingdom, whose life and career are collapsing round her ea ...more
Cheryl M-M
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think you have to know your history to fully appreciate the way Cornick has melded fact and fiction to create this dual timeline story, although to be fair the majority of readers will have heard, read or seen something about Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Robert Dudley and Amy Robsart.

In 1560 we see Amy embark upon what will be a short-lived marriage with Robert Dudley, which culminates in her untimely death. A suspicious death that becomes a barrier between Elizabeth and Robert. With the suspicion
Abby Alessandrelli
An enjoyable read, telling the real life stories surrounding the death of Amy Robsart, wife of Queen Elizabeth I’s favourite courtier, Robert Dudley. Then there is a parallel story of modern day counterparts, cleverly named and characterised to reflect the characters from the past. We have Lizzie Kingdom, a flame haired, clean cut celebrity and Dudley Lester, childhood friend of Lizzie and rather an unlikeable character, married to Millie (Amelia) Robsart, who dies in mysterious circumstances.
T
Nicole
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off as not really the type of book I enjoy, I love books that have some historical and contemporary but honestly I have absolutely no interest in Tudors or Royals. However as the story went on I really enjoyed reading Amy's story I totally wanted her to escape Dudley and be free however I knew in history poor Amy Dudley dies. The way the two storys looped and came together including time travel and all the twists I did absolutely love. I really liked the contemporary parts and ...more
Marlene
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

The fate of Amy Robsart has been one of those long-standing historical questions, to the point where the mystery of whether it was accident, suicide or murder was one of the historical mysteries presented to Inspector Alan Grant at the beginning of The Daughter of Time. While he decided to investigate the “Princes in the Tower”, the question of Amy Robsart is still an interesting one, because of the way that it ties back to a towering figure of English hist
Annette
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2020
This story has dual time lines. I had a hard time getting into the past story. I thought the present day story much more interesting. I will say that the past story became more interesting more than half way through. Lizzie‘s character grew on me as the book went on. The idea of time travel appeals to me and to know things by touching them is interesting. I enjoyed the book!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Change or add publication date 2 10 Apr 01, 2020 04:48PM

• The Secrets of Saffron Hall
  • Echoes of the Runes
  • The Silken Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Secrets of the Mist
  • The Dying Game
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Golden Child
  • Jägerin und Sammlerin
  • Shameless With Him (Less Than, #3)
  • Summer at the Highland Coral Beach (Port Willow Bay, #1)
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • If I Never Met You
  • A Shadow Beyond
  • She Loves Me (Harmony Pointe, #3)
  • The Best Friend Bargain (Inked Love, #1)
  • Undone (Start Up in the City, #3)
  • Firecracker
  • Messy, Wonderful Us
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes dual-time historical mysteries that draw on her love for genealogy and local history. She studied History at London and Oxford and worked in academia for a number of years before becoming a full time author. Nicola acts as a guide and researcher at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House and is a member of the Board of Trustees ...more

News & Interviews