Start by marking “Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  457 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This edition, bringing together Volumes One and Two of Buber's classic work, contains marvelous tales - terse, vigorous, often cryptic - of the Hasidic masters.
Published July 23rd 1991 by Schocken (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2

Nick
Nov 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
When I read this book at age 17, it came close to making me want to convert to Judaism, enter a Yeshiva and study Torah all day. My Jew-fandom has since waned considerably, but this is still one of the most romantic, evocative, picturesque, insightful, and downright readable pieces of so-called "religious literature" I know of.
Leka

e miro e contemplo, Tu,
solo Tu,
sempre Tu.
Craig Bolton
Tales of the Hasidim (v. 1-2 i) by Martin Buber (1991)
Joel Kleehammer
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Martin Buber is an outstanding author, though not always one who is easy to follow. In this book, he retells tales of Hasidim, which are both magical and enlightening at the same time.
Edward
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I became curious about Hasidic legends and folklore after reading one or two in a different book about Jewish culture. While they don't represent Judaism exclusively, these stories have endured as a significant part of its heritage. For gentiles, Hasidic Jews are often the most visible members of this religious and ethnic community, and this book is an extensive collection of the anecdotes, quips, and aphorisms they used to define themselves over the last few centuries.

The Hasidic tradition is h
Israel Drazin
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic. It includes the sayings and acts of the early Hasidim. Scholars refer to it when they speak about the Hasidim. Buber's collection of tales is a joy to read and prompt us to think. For example: "Before his death, Rabbi Zusya said 'In the coming world, they will not ask me: 'Why were you not Moses?' They will ask me: 'Why were you not Zusya.'" Also, "Rabbi Uri said: 'David could compose the psalms, and what can I do? I can recite the psalms.'"
Tony
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
75. Buber, Martin. TALES OF THE HASIDIM. (1947(?); this ed. 1961). ****. Buber was a Professor of Social Philosophy at the Hebrew University and was descended from an old and famous rabbinical family of Galicia, the province that had been an active center of Hasidism. By his fusion of the world of Jewish piety and European learning, he initiated a Jewish cultural renaissance which has left its mark on succeeding generations of Jewish youth and found a wide resonse in Protestant and Catholic circ ...more
One of my New Year's resolutions was to finally finish this book in 2016. Tales of the Hasidim is Martin Buber's fastidious compilation of oral tradition about every Hasidic master he could find that lived in Eastern Europe during the 18th century. It me took so long because it's written kind of like an encyclopedia, with 700 pages of one-paragraph stories. Given that I am not terribly familiar with Eastern European names and places (many of which don't even exist anymore because they were total ...more
Jeff
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A Master Scholar this work shares the exuberant and joyous celebration of the Hasidim expression of Judiasm. I learned a great deal I did not know about what lies or did lie at the core of this amazing group. Buber points out that personal celebration of the divine need not be dogmatic or follow "the norm."

With people breaking into dance or song during worship... You may discover powerful and amazing Hebrew words like "Hitlahavut" or the burning ecstasy of God..

Rich spiritual fare that anyone ca
Bob Towner
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, challenging, delightful and profound stories told by the great lovers of G-d, collected by Buber, who himself qualifies as an embodiment of Chesed (lovingkindness) or a Hasid.

I am never finished with this book. And it reappears in some very good company. Noteably, in "The Spirituality of Imperfection, Storytelling and the Search for Meaning, by Ernest Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham
Dennis Ross
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read Buber's tales for a seminary course and and have returned to this book often over the years. It was an important part of my book, God in Our Relationships: Spirituality between People from the Teachings of Martin Buber. Some of the tales are a challnege to understand, but a good number are gems.
Harold Citron
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jews
Lots of stories about the founding rabbis of Chassidim. Some as short as a few sentences, the longest are perhaps a page, well over 1,000 in total. Somewhat similar to the P'rkei Avot. Some leave more of an imprint than others. Some make you laugh (yes, there is humor in their anecdotes), others make you think.
Brian Oconnor
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
couldn't actually finish it
Justin
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
I was hoping for tales full of meaning on how to live life. While I am sure there was some meaning there the tales seemed to be mostly biographical.
Ari
  • Kabbalah
  • The Jew in the Lotus
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs  Rituals
  • Wise Men and Their Tales: Portraits of Biblical, Talmudic, and Hasidic Masters
  • Jewish Meditation: A Practical Guide
  • God Is a Verb
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • Back to the Sources
  • Path of the Just
  • The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch
  • Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah
  • The Complete Artscroll Siddur (Artscroll Mesorah)
  • The Talmud: A Selection
  • Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • La famiglia Karnowski
Martin Buber was an Austrian-born Jewish philosopher best known for his philosophy of dialogue, a religious existentialism centered on the distinction between the I-Thou relationship and the I-It relationship.

Buber came from a family of observant Jews, but broke with Jewish custom to pursue secular studies in philosophy. In 1902, Buber became the editor of the weekly Die Welt, the central organ of
More about Martin Buber...
“The Two Caps Rabbi David Moshe, the son of the rabbi of Rizhyn, once said to a hasid: “You knew my father when he lived in Sadagora and was already wearing the black cap and going his way in dejection; but you did not see him when he lived in Rizhyn and was still wearing his golden cap.” The hasid was astonished. “How is it possible that the holy man from Rizhyn ever went his way in dejection! Did not I myself hear him say that dejection is the lowest condition!” “And after he had reached the summit,” Rabbi David replied, “he had to descend to that condition time and again in order to redeem the souls which had sunk down to it.” 1 likes
“And how shall we be able to tell whether he is a true zaddik?” The Baal Shem replied. “Ask him to advise you what to do to keep unholy thoughts from disturbing you in your prayers and studies. If he gives you advice, then you will know that he belongs to those who are of no account. For this is the service of men in the world to the very hour of their death; to struggle time after time with the extraneous, and time after time to uplift and fit it into the nature of the Divine Name.” 1 likes