Start by marking “Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)

Heart of Flames

(Crown of Feathers #2)

Veronyka, Tristan, and Sev must stop the advancing empire from destroying the Phoenix Riders in this fiery sequel to Crown of Feathers, which #1 New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake calls “absolutely unforgettable!”

You are a daughter of queens.

The world is balanced on the edge of a knife, and war is almost certain between the empire and the Phoenix Riders.

Like N
Published February 11th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Flames, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Alex Rolli
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mi Universo Literario Writer Nope! It's the second book in the series. The third and final one is supposed to come out in 2021.…moreNope! It's the second book in the series. The third and final one is supposed to come out in 2021.(less)

Start your review of Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
There are still things I like the book and love that ending but I just can’t with all of these books anymore. I would buy these in a sale on kindle but trading the hardcovers in.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

From 4 to 3
Eilidh
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The hotly anticipated sequel to Crown of Feathers catapults us back into the world of the Golden Empire and the legendary Phoenix Riders.

Since the Battle of the Eyrie, Veronyka and Tristan are dealing with the new realities of what it means to be in open war with the Golden Empire’s armies, and they’re working toward building the Phoenix Riders forces. Meanwhile, Sev made his choice to stand with his fellow animages and the Phoenix Riders, and he faces his next steps in bringing down the Golden
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you so much to Simon Pulse Via NetGalley for the eARC of Heart of Flames in exchange for an honest review!

I enjoyed Crown of Feathers at least moderately, and unfortunately found Heart of Flames falling into the second-book-slump. The worst thing is that sometimes authors can take advice and lessons from the first novel, such as "don't repeat yourself so much," and apply them to the second novel. The author did not do this, and seriously just repeated herself ad nauseum to the point that s
Reva Dawn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So excited for this book!!!!
Carrie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto is the second book of the young adult fantasy Crown of Feathers series. As with most fantasy series this second book picks up after the first and continues the characters stories so they are best read in order to be understood. This particular series is one that changes the point of view between several characters and follows along their different story lines.

Crown of Feathers began the story and introduced the characters to us with Veronyka who is what is know
J.M. Storin
Jun 24, 2021 rated it liked it
I need to stop reading sequels to books I only rate 3 stars lol! I think this one was on me, I wasn’t a huge fan of the first book in the series. I had never really cared about the characters, plot, and even though the world building I think is very well done, I just never found myself wanting to get lost in the first book. So I probably shouldn’t have continued because I ran into the same issue with this one. This is an absurdly long book for what it is and I just felt bored most of the time. I ...more
Holly Hughes
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with a physical review copy. This has not affected my review, which reflects only my honest opinions.

"When a Phoenix Rider wanted to approach unseen, she flew under cover of darkness. Quiet as a shadow—soft as starlight.

But when a Phoenix Rider wanted to wage war, she flew under the sun."

My full review can be found here!

As most trilogies go, second books form the bridge between the beginning and the end. This journey, I have often found,
Laura ☾
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm torn between rating this 3 and 4 stars

While I enjoyed the overall plot and world, this felt so long-winded that it was tedious to read...it genuinely could have been about half the length...

Full review to come
Danielle Jordan (yaallegiance)
Oh.... my.... goddd
Diana
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one is complicated to rate. I mean, I was waiting for this book anxiously as I'd loved the first one, and I was a bit let down because this one was slow. I mean, there's a lot of internal monologue and thoughts, following every single thread of action/thought any of the characters can take at any given moment. And as we are following diverse POWs (Veronyka, Val, Tristan and Sev) those monologues can get old fast, as they are each one 2-3 pages for every chapter.

Honestly, I was skimming thru
Kalena W
Jul 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars, I’m gonna need a full week to process that ending oh my god

I was afraid I wasn’t going to like this but boy was I wrong, this was such an amazing story from start to finish. Since this is a sequel book, I'm not going to go into too much depth in terms of plot, but I will give a smaller explanation. We are following the Phoenix riders after the Empire's attack on their home, and the turmulous politics that each and every character has to wade through. Veronkya is just trying to trai
Danica
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book left me in awe and needing more! After the events of book one Crown of Feathers, (which I adored) I was worried a squeal wouldnt live up to my expectations. Trust me, there is no need to worry about that. Heart of flames goes above and beyond. There was so much action, emotion and romances. We see so much character development especially Veronyka and Sev. As always Val is such an interesting character to read you want to hate her but love her at the same time.

Since reading Crown of fe
Joleen (starlightbooktales)
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another strong 4.5. I need book 3 now please!!!
Drew's ambitious reading
OMG WHAT? Where's book 3?? I need it like now.... ...more
Melissa
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like any big book, this one has its lengths. But when the action kicked in, I wasn't able to let go, I wanted to read and know what was going to happen.

Before the action, I would've give it a 3⭐️, but I loved how everything unfolded and the twists and turns that predict a marvellous third book that I can't wait to read!

Many thanks to Simon and Schuster Canada for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Leah
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have but one word to describe Nicki Pau Preto's follow-up to the amazing book that is Crown of Feathers. Spell it out with me now. E-P-I-C! Yes. Over 600 pages of perfect, magical, phoenix-riding, EPICNESS!

See my full review at A Book Shrew

For those who have been keeping up with me, you will know how much I adored CoF. And how could I not? A high-fantasy with queens of lore, phoenix riders and a main character who disguises herself as a boy to prove them all wrong—it's all I never knew I wante
Brittany
If you know me at all then you know how much I absolutely loved Crown of Feathers earlier this year and how much I adore Nicki Pau Preto. I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Heart of Flames and I will forever be grateful to Nicki because of it. Crown of Feathers was so good I didn't know how Nicki could possibly top it but she managed it, 100%. Heart of Flames is SO good.

I've seen some reviews of Crown of Feathers that claim they didn't like Veronyka becaus
Brianna Benton
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished my first re-read of this book and believe it or not, it gets even better with the re-read. The amount of foreshadowing and other hints to the ending is thrilling. I am so excited for the next one (Untitled).
_____________________

I was given an ARC by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Wow this book was even better than Crown of Feathers! It's unusual for me to like the second book in the series better than the first but I love when it happens. This book is filled with
Caylynn
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
This was the trick, the thing the stories never told you. In order to survive, you had to be willing to let go.

Sometimes it was easy, the hand cold and limp and slick with blood.

Sometimes it was harder, the hand strong and fierce and clinging to life.

I am ruined. I am done. I have to wait ANOTHER YEAR for the conclusion???? HOW?

This was absolutely brilliant, and I have only two minor complaints that dropped my rating half a star.

Heart of Flames starts off relatively soon after
Asia Chrisma Currin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The time has finally came! Weighing in at around 600 pages, Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto will be released on 11 Feb 2020. With that being said...here are my thoughts (vaguely as you do NOT want to be spoiled and miss out on what this book has to offer).

Starting out, I was captured. The first chapter begins with Veronyka and Tristian begin with training for hand-to-hand combat. The bond between the two are beautiful and it breaks my heart to not see them well off right from the start. A co
Abby Salter
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.25
Thoroughly enjoyed this sequel to Crown of Feathers. This was a lot of fun.

I think I preferred the first book. Mostly because the first half of this was a bit slow. It is a rather long book at over 600 pages and potentially this could have been condensed a little. Explosive ending though and very much looking forward to seeing how this series wraps up in Wings of Shadow.
Ally Crouch
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy wow!

Everyone needs to bow down to the greatness that is Nicki Pau Preto. When I read Crown of Feathers earlier this year, I was blown away and fell in love with the characters and the world that Nicki has created. Heart of Flames has completely dazzled me... and I am not someone who uses the word dazzled.

Heart of Flames picks up shortly after the ending of Crown of Feathers and takes off pretty quickly. Everyone is trying to adjust to life after the events of the previous book, some more su
♡ Shu ♡
May 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
That ending gave me *goosebumps*.
Sam Glasbrenner (Sassyowlreads)
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, arcs
This book was so amazing! I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a digital arc.

Nicki Pau Preto managed to completely avoid the slow middle book pitfall and now I'm so mad I have to wait so long for the 3rd one.

It picks up pretty much exactly where Crown of Feathers left off and proceeds to go on a wild adventure. My palms were actually sweating at one point and a slight prickling sensation in my eyes may have occurred.
NevaReads
Veronyka and Tristan and Sev and Kade are so sweet! I adore them.

...I still crave more world building.
-------
The planning and care that must have gone into this story floors me. The history, the relationships...I need more!
Amanda Bradburn
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
So excited to see where Nicki Pau-Preto is going to take this unique story! I'm so looking forward to Heart of Flames (and DID YOU SEE that cover?) <3 ...more
Tamara (enviereads)
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
"The past fades and the future beckons.
Stay strong. Burn bright."

rating: 3.5 stars

I finally finished this massive book! I actually started reading it in May with my good bookstagram friend Khara, whom I also read the prequel Crown of Feathers with. And it was great, but for some reason at about 60% into it, we both stopped reading. There was a dip, where nothing much happened, and I guess we both lost interest. A few days ago I decided to pick it back up again and fortunately, I got back into it
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/02/16/...

With Heart of Flames, this series is shaping up to be pretty epic. It does what second books are supposed to do, which is progress the storyline and raise the stakes! If you haven’t read Crown of Feathers though, you might want to skip this review until you’re caught up, as I’ll probably touch upon some of the insane fallout from the first book.

For one thing, war has arrived. The Phoenix Riders are busy preparing, rigorous
Euodias
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great continuation to the first book but the pacing is noticeably a lot slower and I found that it does drag a little. Still a great read overall and I’m looking forward to the third book!
Vanessa (bookfairy95)
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
It took me a while to finish this one. Fist and foremost, because this book is a beast!!! It not only has a bit more than 600 pages, but it also is tall and there are a lot of words on one page. lol
Second, because I was in a slump in the middle of it and put it on pause, because it felt like I didn’t make any progress at all. So, this taking me a while to finish was entirely because of me and not because of the book!!

In the end, I don’t know why I paused it. I feel like as soon as I picked it a

• Such a Fun Age
  • Royal (Feyguard, #2)
  • Charming the Cowboy (Grape Seed Falls Romance, #3)
  • Grady (Outback Heritage #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • A Cowboy Never Quits (Turn Around Ranch #1)
  • I Love Stray Kids Journal: Woojin, Bang Chan, Lee Know, Changbin, Hyunjin, Han, Felix, Seungmin, I.N
  • Fraught (Alphabits #7)
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary Kings #1)
  • Dancing with the Single Dad (The Single Dads of Seattle, #2)
  • Rebound (Overtime #1)
  • Hired by the Single Dad (The Single Dads of Seattle, #1)
  • The Game Players of Meridien: Chronicles of the Second Empire (Chronicles of the Second Interstellar Empire of Mankind Book 1)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts #1)
  • To Be Honest
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Code Name: Heist (Jameson Force Security, #3)
See top shelves…
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isn’t interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Crown of Feathers (3 books)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Wings of Shadow (Crown of Feathers, #3)