Start by marking “A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)” as Want to Read:
A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)

A ​Sky Beyond the Storm

(An Ember in the Ashes #4)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  22,783 ratings  ·  4,427 reviews
Prepare for the jaw-dropping finale of Sabaa Tahir's beloved New York Times bestselling An Ember in the Ashes fantasy series, and discover: Who will survive the storm?

Picking up just a few months after A Reaper at the Gates left off...

The long-imprisoned jinn are on the attack, wreaking bloody havoc in villages and cities alike. But for the Nightbringer, vengeance on his h
Published December 1st 2020 by Razorbill

·  22,783 ratings  ·  4,427 reviews

Start your review of A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
Well, this is it folks. I give the Ember Quartet recognition for being one of the first series to truly get me interested in fantasy as a genre. It is a sweeping epic, told through many eyes. It is no stranger to tragedy, but is also steeped with many joys.

This story is so dear to my heart, I put off starting this final chapter until I knew I could devote myself to the story. I had a sense that it would tear at my emotions, and boy did it. But I am not sad. No, I am fulfilled and complete.

Sabaa
Sabaa Tahir
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
You know, I don't usually rate my books b/c I always felt weird about it. But I am so damn proud of this book. I worked my tail off on it. And I think it's the best thing I've ever written. So this one time, I'm gonna rate a book of mine. Hopefully you guys won't mind. And hopefully you will love reading it as much as I loved writing it. ...more
Sofia
My most anticipated book of the year was a flop. The pain is greater than you can imagine.

This is the grand finale, the ultimate end, the culmination of the Ember series. Did it do its job? Yes. The series is now over. *crying* But what a terrible way to end it. Everything I liked was destroyed. And I was left with... this.

Like in Reaper, we follow three different first-person perspectives: Helene (Blood Shrike), Elias (Soul Catcher), and Laia (Laia). All I can say is... what happened to my ba
NReads
Mar 21, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
not gonna lie, the new covers are freaking awesome
Tharindu Dissanayake
“Here to torment you, one last time.”

To think, this could've easily been a 5-star read, the first person present tense narrative notwithstanding. Just when I thought 'A Reaper at the Gates' made sure that everything was perfectly aligned for a solid ending... A Sky Beyond the Storm marked the nadir of the series, and I still cannot make sense of the direction the author took with this one. Had I been reading this series as the books were being released, this book would've been the disappointment
jessica
im so very torn with this.

the phenomenal writing, character narrative, and entire atmosphere of this book is easily worth 4+ stars. ST has grown remarkably as a writer, and, strictly from an objective storytelling point of view, this is probably the best book in the series. its very much a satisfying and appropriate conclusion to the story considering the events of the previous book.

however, ‘a reaper at the gates’ was an instant mood changer for me regarding this series. my mind still fails to
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Review December 2020
Though not a perfect book, this is a perfect ending to the series.

I've been with the series for a long time. I started it over the Summer of 2018 when Reaper came out and binged all the books as a way of coping with my Summer Teenaged Angst™.

Needless to say, I've changed a lot since then and am now an adult reading this finale (if any of you are confused by my timeline, I was sixteen when I first read Ember and I'm nineteen now). So on the one hand I see the flaws in this ser
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
I feel like I should update this because uh the rant down there no longer reflects my feels. I kind of can’t even with this series anymore. I LOVED the first book but now it’s just too much sorrow and horror. I hate Laia, I don’t like Helene, I hate where Elias is going. Everything sucks and there are no small moments of happiness or joking, or fun that convince me to push through for the light at the end. I set Reaper aside and I might not continue on. I just feel meh about it all.
———————————
Beth
Bleeding Skies… 5 Stars!

”It was never one. It was always three. The Blood Shrike is the first. Laia of Serra, the second And The Soul Catcher is the last. The Mother watches over them all, If one fails, they all fail. If one dies, they all die…”

I think the best way to start this is say about the previous books maybe and how I grew to love this series and how much it means to me. A few years ago my friend Fathima said to me, I think we should Buddy Read something called An Ember in the Ashes, I h
Ariel
Oct 01, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"We are A̶q̶u̶i̶l̶l̶a̶ ̶ Fangirls. Loyal to the end"
"The library is my temple. The author is my priest. The fandom theories are my prayer. The release date is my release."
I'M SO PUMPED FOR THIS!!!!! BUT I PROBABLY WONT SURVIVE THE HEARTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!
Klaus
13/25 (52%); 2 stars.
description
First things first: I'm very disappointed because this book included a lot of tropes and things I hate within books - HOWEVER, if you're okay with these things, you'll love this one. But I didn't. I've had a lot of negative thoughts about its two last prequels (I still love Ember, but I felt that it got weaker and weaker afterwards) and all of the things I hated, especially in A Reaper at the Gates, are here once again. And there's even more. It still gets two stars, but jus
The Burning Rose (Jess)
A Sky Beyond the Storm.. A SKY BEYOND THE STORM A SKY B- oh my god!! I love this title so fucking much. And the cover??? God, I’m so happy HOLY SHITE. The release date is so close. I need to pick up and read the 3rd book as soon as possible! 😧
Yumiko
This review contains no spoilers.

There is anguish. There is grief. There is sorrow.

And then there is joy, and happiness, and family, and love. Sometimes it is so hard to separate the two warring sides in your head, of good versus evil. Sometimes it is so hard to see the good when your heart only knows the loss and the pain. That's how it was for me with A Sky Beyond the Storm. I wanted so badly to let this book shatter my entire soul (which it did). But I also had to remember the beautiful part
Marzuqa
A part of me grieves that this is actually OVER, and that I have to say goodbye to these characters that I had come to love. Laia and Elias will always remain one of my most favorite fictional couple.
Another part of me wishes I had enjoyed this finale book in the series as much as I wanted to. Sabaa Tahir has called this her best work so far, but book 1 still remains my most favorite book in this series. It warmed and touched me in a way I can never forget.
I just couldn’t connect the same way wi
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
***and the award for the most disappointing read of 2021 goes to....

Okay, time to go and break something because this one is bringing out the monster in me as I so wanted to destroy this one and wanted another version of this book 🤦 Sorry, dear pillows, bear my silent mind screaming 😌

And after all that drama and bloodshed, this entire series ends as a quest to answer who's Lovey. (We will all know who Lovey is ultimately but it seems so disconnected!)
I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

As muc
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
Idk, just to give you an idea...

#1 An Ember in the Ashes — 5 Stars
#2 A Torch Against the Night — 4 Stars
#3 A Reaper at the Gates — 3 Stars
#4 A Sky Beyond the Storm — 2.5 Stars

So, you see it’s a long time coming.

For the record, I’m NOT disappointed. I’m... resigned and mostly unbothered. It’s just one of those series that you’ve been following since the first book was published but you slowly grow unattached to because the story no longer appeals to you. I loved the first two books, but the third
Irina
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this so much. It was the perfect ending to an amazing series.
Now excuse me while I go in a corner and cry because of a certain character 😭
Bhavya
“Emifal firdaant. May death claim me first.”

Rating- 2 stars

( Content/ Trigger Warnings)

*Spoiler alert for An Ember in the Ashes, A Torch Against the Night and A Reaper at the Gates*

My original review for this was me just rambling about my feelings, and, let me tell you, four months later and I am STILL mad at this book . So this review is also going to be a huge rant, I will just try to frame it in more coherent sentences. Hopefully it makes sense. (I am not following my review format, a
Heather
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Gah Sabaa Tahir broke my heart but mended it somewhat but still....ALL THE TEARS.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, i-own
Five years of blood, sweat, tears, and cliffhangers later, the journey has finally come to an end...

Well, where to begin. This book ended perfectly. Beautifully. But (there's always a but), it could have been fifty or even a hundred pages shorter. I felt like there was so much exposition with little pay off with too much telling and not showing.

ex: "10 days later, Laia did this, 2 weeks later, Elias did that,".....

I felt like there were handfuls of 'empty' spaces within the book where characte
Lucy Tonks
“You are broken. But it is broken things that are the sharpest. The deadliest. It is broken things that are the most unexpected, and the most underestimated”

I did, indeed, need tissues. I don't think a book has made me cry this much. Ever. This was such a beautiful conclusion to such an amazing series! I couldn't wish for anything better. I am so sad that this was the last book, and I cannot believe that this series is over. We went through so many things with this characters, and their adventur
Angelica
May 08, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for this book has me like:
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
I WILL SAY NOTHING because SPOILERS.

BUT. I love this series with every one of my breaths and will forever hold it close to my heart. Sabaa has created a gift and I'm so glad to have experienced this journey.
Holly
mish ♡
What a small thing it seems, to walk with the one you love. To look forward to a day with them. I marvel at the simplicity of this moment. And I thank the skies for the miracle of it.

finishing this series was so heartwarming and bittersweet and also heartbreaking all at once. when i first read an ember in the ashes three years ago, it reignited my love for reading and was one of the books that really back into reading again. i absolutely fell in love with the world, laia, elias and everyth
Mariam ☀️
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have no words, and I don’t know if I ever will. 5 stars is a criminal understatement. Sabaa Tahir is a writer to behold for generations to come for this story that she so beautifully crafted with such immense love and care. I am forever changed.
sam
“I wish I could live a thousand lives so I could fall in love with you a thousand times,” he says. “But if all we get is this one, and I share it with you, then I will never want for anything.”

Favourite Book of 2020
The only fantasy novel that has ever genuinely made me cry until now
All time favourite
Best conclusion to a series

I can’t believe it’s finally over 😭 I’m gonna miss them all so much. Full review is up on my blog with a overall series review.
Musings and Perusings
What...happened?

Spoiler-free:

First things first, credit where credit is due. The thing this book, and the series in general, does well is the emotion. We've grown to care about these characters (some of them) and we see the horrible decisions they're forced to make and the consequences that come as a result.

As for the magic and supernatural aspects of the world-building, I've always thought they seemed a little out of place and this book shows why. They are not, in any way, well-defined. I want
ℨαrα
Jan 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-released
exCUSE ME

WHY DOES THIS SAY THAT THE EXPECTED PUBLICATION DATE IS 2020??

I’m
This is....not okay.

at least give me a title reveal and cover reveal that has Elias’s face in the meantime
Claude's Bookzone
CW: (view spoiler)

Well I utterly loved this dramatic, violent, beautiful book!

Fifteen minutes from typing the above line and I have eaten a large punnet of lovely fresh cherries (on special for $5 at New World supermarkets) whilst staring at my screen and thinking what to write in my review....

Okay.

In my opinion, Sabaa writes intimate and emotional connections between characters incredibly well. The stren

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 3: The Rebel Army
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Addicted to You (Addicted, #1)
  • Death Game (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #3)
  • Releasing The Gods (The Titan's Saga #1)
  • The Deepest Blue
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Never Enough (Meet Me in Montana, #1)
  • Hour of the Assassin
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
See top shelves…
**My apologies if I don't respond to emails or friend requests right away! Come find me on Twitter or Instagram @sabaatahir, or on my web site: www.sabaatahir.com

Sabaa Tahir grew up in California’s Mojave Desert at her family’s 18-room motel. There, she spent her time devouring fantasy novels, raiding her brother’s comic book stash and playing guitar badly. She began writing An Ember in the Ashes

An Ember in the Ashes (4 books)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Emifal firdaant. May death claim me first.” 130 likes
“I wish I could live a thousand lives so I could fall in love with you a thousand times” 123 likes