Start by marking “Emberhawk” as Want to Read:
Emberhawk

Emberhawk

The elementals have decided they're gods, and humans are nothing but fuel for their fire.

A starving trapper.

Merciless drought withers Kira's ranch, leaving her family hungry--and desperate enough to cross the border into the forbidden forest to trap wild game.

But the forest is infested with tree-scorpions and giant cats that wield elemental invisibility, and they're
Published February 26th 2020 by Fayette Press

To ask other readers questions about Emberhawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emberhawk

Start your review of Emberhawk
Sheila Goicea
I'm excited to be a part of the EMBERHAWK blog tour with MTMC Tours from March 16th - 25th, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from the author, Jamie Foley and MTMC Tours in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Injury, Starvation, Torture, Prejudice, Death, War
If the majority of humans worshipped elementals as gods, and this was their
Lindsay Franklin
Emberhawk's danger grips, the humor lands, and the romance smolders. Jamie Foley examines the beauties and hardships of pluralistic societies, and themes of faith, duty, and cultural expectations are skillfully woven into the narrative. Whether you're looking for an entertaining YA fantasy romp or something a little deeper, Emberhawk delivers.
Jenna
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cool book! I love the unique world; it was so vivid. All the character were so real and deep, and I loved all of their interactions with each other. I'll definitely be looking out for the next books in this series. <3
Laura A. Grace
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. FLAILS!! (And I'm literally doing that while grinning so wide my face hurts. And then breaking out into a fit of giggles. Hehe!)

So yes, MUCH love for this story that has a wonderful heroine who can stand on her own two feet, a hero who is snarky enough to make you smirk but then make you melt at said snark, and a storyworld that is incredible.

Let me sum it up like this

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THIS STORY!!!

*happy sigh*

Emberhawk gave me a little bit Avatar: The Last
Abigayle Claire
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If the cover isn't enough for you to try this book, I'm not sure my review can cure you of that defect. Adoring this book is an understatememt for me. The plot was super compelling (and surprised me more than once). Plus, the characters and world were as stunning as ever ... as in, a m a z i n g. I honestly don't know how one author can master so many elements of story and deliver such a fun book in a genre I don't normally read.

Highly recommend for 15+ for some romance, peril, injuries, and
Claire Banschbach
Overall a really fun world built with elemental magic and snarky characters. It was a fun use of elemental powers that I really hadn't seen done before. And it really reminded me of Avatar: TLA in terms of some cultures, powers, and creatures, and I was so here for that!

Ryon was probably my favorite character. But fire/light bender with an attitude and a snarky elemental fox friend. What do you want me to do here? lol! I do wish that we'd gotten to see more of Princess Vylia - I felt like her
Deborah O'Carroll
Emberhawk is an absolutely delicious book, with swashbuckling adventure, a richly detailed world, and snarky characters I had a total blast reading about! I loved it so much!

Im a huge fan of Jamie Foleys Sentinel Trilogy, so I was thrilled to get to dive into the first book in a new series set in the same world! Emberhawk takes place over a thousand years before Sentinel and has a different feel but is an equally fabulous read. Sentinel fans, youre going to love this bookand if youre new to
Abigail
I need book 2 now! This book was so good, oh my word! I really need to read more fantasy books, I love this genre so much and this book was so good and so unique. I was uncertain where Ms. Foley was taking this book in the beginning, but once I got into it, I could not stop reading. The characters were too die for and I loved them so much! Ryon was a cinnamon roll. I loved watching Kira's character development and she was a pretty amazing character herself.

I do not know how Ms. Foley wrote
Julian Daventry
So this was soooooo cool and unique!! I have never read anything by this author before, and I was very pleased with Emberhawk.

The characters were well written, and the POV characters very likable. I particularly thought Lysander had a neat arc (or maybe I just like saying his name, haha). But the storyworld, now...that was really cool! I love how fantasy is reaching out and encompassing other "feels" instead of the "medieval world feel" if you know what I mean (though I do love a good ol'
Katerina
3/5
Bookstagram
**Thank you to the author and Fayette Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a hard one for me to rate. I even had to sit for a few days and stew on it. I mean there were many parts that I absolutely loved about this book...and there were many parts that I absolutely hated. There was no middle ground for me...no grey area. There was just black and white. Which is very unusual for me. So it makes it difficult to write this review!
Mimi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I may not be part of the YA set, I certainly enjoyed this story. If you're ready for adventure, it doesn't take long to be swept up into it with this book.

First, I liked the dynamics of Kira and her family. They didn't seem forced, really like a normal family. We meet them all, for the most part, at the beginning of the story. It literally starts off with high energy and goes that way throughout the entire story!

Next we meet Ryon who is actually up to no good. He's caught nabbing a chicken
Vya
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A fresh, diverse world. A heroine resourceful enough to be strong, even without any supernatural power. An intriguing hero with a golden heart. Emberhawk is not your typical fantasy story and so worth to read! I was captivated from page one, and the story didn't let me go again until the last page.

There are three main characters in this book, although Vylia, the Malaano princess, doesn't get a big portion in this first installment. The story is more focused on Kira and Ryon, whose paths crossed
Lori
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say how much I enjoyed this book except that I didn't put it down until 3 in the morning.
A great adventure into the unknown. Sort of like Frozen 2.
With awesome characters and a fearsome plot I was immediately drawn into this story.
With faith, culture and various other things that are going on in this beautiful and magical world you won't want to say goodbye to these amazing characters.
The way this author writes ya'll is just amazing! I love how she describes the most beautiful
Hannah
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Foley did a fantastic job crafting an adventurous ya fantasy with high stakes danger, witty banter, and a sprinkle of romance. Within the first couple of pages I was completely drawn in and couldn't put the book down.
It's not very often where I find a YA fantasy that I can recommend without reserve. This had all the elements I liked without going too far in the romance department. The characters were likeable, relateable, dynamic, and well-developed. Plus, the bickering was quite
Alia Faith
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emberhawk immerses readers in a vivid world full of intrigue and wonder from the very beginningaka, the absolutely beautiful cover. The intricate yet seamlessly woven storyworld inspired grins and gasps of both delight and horror as I eagerly turned each page.

Instead of dumping Ryons tangled past into the readers lap all at once, the author slowly revealed it bit by bit and I eagerly awaited each new clue that would help me unravel his past. Ryon and Kiras often volatile relationship, from their
Zoe L.
Mar 10, 2020 added it
Oh my goodness this book! Not only is the cover beyond gorgeous, but the story is just so amazing and unique! Im a sucker for elemental based magic, so I knew that I would absolutely love this one as soon as I saw it! Plus, pssstttttt, its got a gorgeous map inside! EEEEEE!!!!! Internal and external squeals when I saw that! I dont know why but I just always find that extra touch of a well thought out map to make all the difference in my reading! I want to be able to see that the landscape makes ...more
Victoria Cadogan
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it is not my normal genre but a fantastic fantasy. Every character, creature and situation is explained beautifully and thoroughly enough that you can picture it all in your head- which I love about a good book- its like watching a film in your head whilst reading, with enough suspense and mystery to keep it interesting but not too much fluff or detail to get bogged down in and boring. Jamie is a wonderful writer with an amazing imagination that she seamlessly ...more
Stephanie Stoll
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Emberhawk, and am thrilled I had a chance to read it early!

Emberhawk is a fabulous YA fantasy story! The story has conflict and character growth, adventure and attraction, empathy and Elementals. The magic in this story takes the form of elemental abilities, which is something I havent read before and I found I really like. At least, I like how Jamie Foley has used it. I think the world the author has created is pretty unique and yet I had no problem understanding, through her
Nicole (Half Wild Books)
Immersing yourself in Foleys writing is a treat. A vivid and entertaining fantasy which sees two opposing sides forced to work together. Skillfully woven into the narrative is a strong passion for family, one which the reader cant help but fall in love with. Captivating and relatable, Emberhawk the dark horse you dont want to miss.

Full review on blog
Janet Murphy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enter the fabulous mythical world of Alani. Meet humans, shape-shifting spirits, giant tree scorpions, and all manner of magical powers. The story is about conflicts between neighboring tribes, but also a boy meets a girl. They get into all sorts of scrapes together as they travel the countryside. Will he save her or will she save him? Grab a copy and find out!
Darlene Loop
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing, I loved the adventure that I got to go on, So much excitement, I did not know what to expect next,
lin
Kira refuses to marry a guy who was dumber than a sack of rocks. Of which there were plenty.

So, I went into Emberhawk with no previous expectations. I was craving a unique YA fantasy, and in some ways this hit that sweet spot.

Im quite conflicted, because I feel like there were a number of things that were well done, and then others not so much. We follow our main characters, Kira and Ryon who are living in this dangerous world full of magic on the brink of war. Kira is setting her traps and
C.O. Bonham
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emberhawk by Jamie Foley, is a unique story world that blends many fantasy concepts together into a tasty pastry of a novel. I really enjoyed this book. So much, so that it had better never be made into a movie. A twelve episode Netflix series I'll allow though.

The aesthetic of this setting was unique, think ancient Japan meets, African tribes, with gypses thrown in for good measure. Now imagine it all takes place during the American Revolution.

My favorite thing about this book are the
Andi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book and the summary seemed really interesting, but upon finishing it ended up being a let-down for me.

The author has a lot of interesting ideas. A lot of them that are unfortunately not very... well formed and or grounded.

- The plot is very confusing. You don't get a good grasp of the layout of how the world and its magic system work with one another. The only way you pick up on it is if the character decides to mention it while they're talking about it and if it is important to the plot..
Lauricia Matuska
Recommends it for: Readers who love Asian-inspired fatsasy
War is threatening in the Malano Empire Conflicts between ranchers on the border and outlying tribes are increasing, causing hostilities to flare even as drought scorches the land.

With her father and older brother away preparing for war, Kira must help her ailing mother, her grandmother, and her younger brother maintain their family's ranch, but the drought has made resources scarce. Desperate to find a cure for her mother's mysterious illness, Kira supplements her family's resources by trapping
GoodBookNook  (Candace Renee)
Emberhawk is definitely a unique story with incredible places, characters, and creatures. There was very little about this story that I didnt like. Except for my personal challenges of being unable to visualize the setting right away, and a cliche romance.

At first I couldnt quite imagine what the different landscapes looked like. For some reason I started imagining a more Hawaiin-like setting with dry and tropical climates. Mostly because of the character names and how I tried pronouncing them.
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received an early copy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

Okay first...let me just point out that cover! It's gorgeous! Paired with an exciting summary, and I couldn't wait to pick this one up! I'm thrilled to announce, I wasn't let down, in fact I found this story to be beautiful inside and out, and loved reading it! I loved the characters, found the world-building to be detailed enough to picture, without overtaking the story, the plot was complex and easily kept me reading
Ejayen
Shelves: favorite-fantasy
I got an email from JustReads Tours asking if I would be interested in reading and reviewing this book. After a day of thought, I said yes. The email with the ebook said I had some time before the review was wanted so I put it out of my mind until after Grandpa's Birthday. Small problem, that was the day before he went into hospice and I was left in charge at home.
Then I got a message, Hey we would like it if you left your review around now. So I decided to read this book in one day.
It's late,
Farah Asche
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kira is protecting her farm from a fox that was killing her chickens when she accidentally shoots a young man leaving the woods. His capture sets of a chain of events that changes her life, and her families lives. Waring nations, politics, and belief systems rule in this young adult fantasy.

I loved the different cultures and religions that the author created. I dislike reading a book where everyone has the same religion and believes the same thing across the realm. This book had a diverse cast
Angie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This story is about war, rebellion, conspiracies, gods, elementals and tribes. This story was just an ok read for me. We have three point of views: Vylia, Ryon and Kira. Vylia is a diplomat princess of the reigning kingdom. Ryon is a spy while Kira is a normal citizen.

The world building is all over the place and a lot of info dumping that made yours truly dizzy and confuse. The world has a potential if only it was presented in a more systematic(?) way as I was really lost

• Northanger Abbey
  • Misadventures of a Time Traveler
  • Lost Down Deep (The Rose Tattoo Trilogy #1)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • Heartless
  • Every Other Weekend
  • No Chance Meeting (No Chance Love, #1)
  • Persuasion
  • Mansfield Park
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Kisses and Wishes: One Holiday Wish / Collared for Christmas / Stolen Mistletoe Kisses
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Across Five Aprils
  • All I Want Is A Kiss
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
Jamie loves strategy games, home-grown berries, and Texas winters. She's terrified of plot holes and red wasps.

Her husband is her manly cowboy astronaut muse. They live between Austin and the cattle ranch, where their hyperactive spawnling and wolfpack can run free.