Start by marking “Tot het voorbij is” as Want to Read:
Tot het voorbij is

Tot het voorbij is

Astrid Bell is een jonge, sterke Londense fietskoerier die niet goed weet wat ze met haar leven wil. Ze woont samen met zes vrienden, maar langzamerhand valt de groep uiteen door geldproblemen, verraad, nieuwe liefdes en uiteenlopende toekomstplannen. Dan sterven er twee vrouwen, en de enige overeenkomst tussen de twee moorden is de aanwezigheid van Astrid. Zodra de situat ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Anthos (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Tot het voorbij is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tot het voorbij is

Start your review of Tot het voorbij is
Kelli Wilson
AUTHOR’S RISKY TAKE ON STORY TELLING METHOD DOESN’T PAN OUT
2.75/5

A delivery bicycler lives in London with her 6 roommates. The first dead body was someone she had encountered just the night before. Then a second dead body was someone she discovered while delivering a package. Then there is a third dead body. And the only connection the police see is her!

This story is told in 2 parts. The first part follows the delivery bicycler from the beginning to after the third murder. The second part then r
Christie
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say I’ve been a Nicci French (husband and wife team, Sean French and Nicci Gerrard) fan for over a decade, but I may have to quit them after reading Until It’s Over.

Astrid Bell is in her early 20s and works as a bike messenger in London. She lives in a huge house with university pals Pippa and her former boyfriend (and owner of the house) Miles. They share the space with Mick, Dario, Davy and Owen. They’re a family, in a sense.

Until It’s Over opens with an accident. Astrid is ridi
Susan
I liked this story, but didn't particularly care about the characters - and there were many of them. The second half of the book threw me out and as a writer myself, I felt it was a bit of a cheat to retell the same story from the murderer's viewpoint. I think I would've included the murderer's viewpoint at the same time as the original storyline, leaving the reader in suspense as to who the murderer is until the end.

I found the ending disappointing because the epilogue jumps too far ahead witho
Deanna
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an early Nicci French, the writing duo behind a marvelous crime fiction series that is, sadly, complete.

The first half or so is in the POV of a bike messenger who keeps finding dead bodies and living the increasingly chaotic life of large house of disparate roommates whose drama is inflamed by the implications of the murders.

The last part of the book retraces much of the territory of the first half, only in the POV of the perpetrator.

Despite a slow leak of interest while old ground i
Baba
Astrid Bell is a cycle courier living in a house with an eclectic group of 6 other housemates in London. Two murders within a short space of time... there's only one thing that links them... Astrid!

I'm a big fan of the husband and wife writing team that is Nicci French, because they do mystery, suspense... and modern London so well. In this book, which I have astonished myself by reading 3 times they turn the London flat share to little piece of Hell, as secrets, lies, lusts, recriminations and
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Nicca French are one of those authors what i call my comfortable reads as i have now read 5 of thier books and know i like both the style of writing and the general story lines of the books.

With this one it was as always full of twists and turns and i loved that.

It only let itself down at the end where i felt the ending was a tad incomplete.I would have enjoyed a fuller ending with a small story as to what happend to the rest of the housemates.

Otherwise a great read and would definately read m
Kaethe Douglas
Pretty much a guaranteed good read. Starts off with a bang: a bike crash. Wince.

The Nicci French team produces consistently engrossing thrillers, fast moving, sexy, but with strong women who may be attacked, but aren't victims. The sudden shift in point of view was effective, and the ending was satisfying.
Debra
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It took me a while to get into it but with expected psychological suspense it really kicked in.

(Sorry to anyone who saw that before I edited out my typos. My vision is poor enough these days that I cannot always see the letters, but wanted to at least try for a personal reaction. Now you know why I use audiobooks.)
Donna
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-challenge, 2010
Nicci French always does a good psychological thriller but this one didn't seem as tense as previous ones I have read. I wasn't overly bothered about the characters, it seemed like there were a couple too many to actually get to know them.

The book is essentially in tow halves. The first half is the story of Astrid, a bike courier who is linked to three murders, although she didn't commit them she just kept finding the bodies! The second half is a retelling of the same story but through the eyes
Hermien
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
This book did not come up to scratch. The first part is told by Astrid describing how she finds three dead women. The second part consists of the same events, but told by the killer. Then in the last 10 pages Astrid entraps the killer, he gets arrested and Astrid lives happily ever after with a brand new lover. No explanation as to how or why Astrid and the police became suspicious of the real killer in the first place when they already had somebody in custody with evidence galore. I was hoverin ...more
Debra Komar
Could not finish this book. In fact, I gave up after 50 pages. The premise is interesting but the writing is bland and generic. Weirdly so, as if the text was written by a computer. The author's blurb indicates Nicci French is actually two people - a husband and wife writing team. Not surprising, as this feels as though it were written by committee. The prose is completely devoid of style. The words make sense and it is grammatically correct - it is just lifeless, bloodless. ...more
Ken
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid Bell seems to be a bad luck omen, first the London cycle courier is knocked off her bike by neighbour Peggy Farrell - who is soon found dead in an alley.
Then a client for the courier company that Astrid is scheduled to visit is too found murdered.
Surely it’s too much of a coincide?

A really gripping thriller as suspicion flux between Astrid and her six other houses mates.
Thom Swennes
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, jinx is someone or something that causes bad luck; also: a state or period of bad luck caused by a jinx. British dictionaries call it an Americanism and basically hope that it is a condition that affects others. The Thesaurus lists as synonyms: hex, charm, enchantment, condemn, hoodoo, nemesis, bewitch, plague spell, voodoo, black magic, evil eye and kiss of death. I call it Astrid Bell. The writing tandem of Nicci Gerrard and Sean French has done it ag ...more
Meagan
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book by sheer luck on discount at BAM and am so glad that I did. Very rarely does a written story have so many characters that you really get to KNOW during the course of a novel. You don't just know your protagonist or antagonist, every character is crucial. The characters are pieced together with many layers thus making them more real, more believable on a large scale.
The story. I absolutely tore through this book like my life depended on it. The questions that arose were not alw
Keri
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

3 STARS - I LIKED IT
AUDIOBOOK

This is the first book by this author that I've read and I enjoyed it. A lot of reviewers for this book state this isn't the best Nicci French book so I am encouraged because I enjoyed this one. It's of course a murder mystery set in London and there is a house full of people who we figure are the most likely to have done the crimes. I couldn't figure out exactly who might have done it until it was revealed to us... at about 2/3 into the book the POV changes from Ast
Elizabeth
This was an interesting experiment in form, with the POV shifting about 2/3 of the way through the story. Unfortunately, the reveal comes quickly after, with the result that the later chapters are just a rehash of the narrative that add little to the story or character. The shift allows for explanations, but the creepy tension (well created in the first part) completely dissipates as a result.

Knowing the culprit early in their piece of the telling also means that the resolution of the story then
Gillian Moore
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until It’s Over by Nicci French 🖤
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
So after reading and absolutely loving The Lying Room for Netgalley this month, I decided to pick up another book by this author. I also discovered that Nicci French is actually a pseudonym for a husband and wife team, which I kind of love 😊. And they may be new favourite authors. This was fantastic.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Astrid Bell is a young cycle courier in London and lives in a house share with a group of misma
comfort
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AUDIOBOOK

I really like the narrator of this story,it added to the enjoyment for me.

A bunch of "friends" sharing a house seemingly all is well until our heroine seems to be attracting dead people (not ghosts). Several people she either knows or is a few degrees separated from are dying violently and there are similarities.

There are lots of dynamics happening between all the house-mates and life in the shared house is not as idyllic as it first appears, but then they are all (mostly) growing olde
Anna
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all their books & love them. These first got me into murder mysteries /crime, as they're not gory, more like pyschological thrillers.

Very clever idea about telling the story from 2 points of view & extremely interesting to observe the same scene from the 2 different angles.

I was disappointed at the last few pages, it didn't seem quite finished.

Enjoyed reading an excerpt from the next book at the end & the interview with the authors.
Jill
Astrid was a normal person, whose job was a bike messenger. One day a neighbor, who she doesn't know, opens her car door and Astrid rides into it, then her story begins. Throughout the first part of the book we follow Astrid as she becomes connected to 3 different murders that she knows nothing about. The police are baffled and so are her flat mates. They all have a room in a house owned by Miles and are friendly until things start to fall a part.

The second part of this book was told from the ki
Kasia
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, giveaways
Thriller without thrills. First half is written from the perspective of Astrid - the girl that is somehow connected with all the victims - and second half is following the same events but is written from the perspective of a murderer. So the mystery is revealed pretty quickly and then you are forced to re-read everything with a slight change of perspective to check if murderer was caught or not. The first part isn't even that good to justify reading it all over again - there are moments when the ...more
Stephen
No review. Did not like this book....sorry
Steve
Barbara Lemon
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on Audible. I was glued to this psychological thriller. I see from some of these reviews that some people didn’t care much for this novel. But, I liked it immensely. I also thought the descriptions of characters and objects and emotions were beautifully rendered. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.
Lucii Dixon
As a fan of a series by Nicci French, I am deeply disappointed by this. I didn't enjoy it at all. Not even close. The only reason I'm rating this 2 stars instead of 1 is because her writing is eye catching and well descriptive.

I hated all the characters. And I mean all of them. I'm not sure the author did much research into matters for this book either. I mean, what kind of detective hauls in a witness to the police station and outright accuses them of committing a crime when they have no evide
Barbara
Astrid Bell never particularly intended to be a bicycle courier, a lycra clad road warrior zapping along London’s streets serving the urgent delivery needs of the city’s wealthy professionals but some how several years after starting the job she’s still on her bike. Then one evening as she heads home, in fact within sight of her front door, a neighbour opens her car door into Astrid’s path sending her flying over the handlebars and onto the tarmac. The bike is battered and so is Astrid.

The neig
Patsy Goodsir
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one I couldn't put down. Wonderful characterization of the residents at Maitland Road. Really felt I knew them all. I was convinced I knew "whodunnit" but turned out I was totally wrong. Three murders and lots of twists and turns. No flat points in this story. This is my second read by this husband and wife partnership and happy to say I have more lined up. ...more
Sandie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid Bell isn't sure what she wants to do with her life. At the moment, she's a bicycle messenger. She lives in a house with six other people, some of whom she's known since university, some who come and go. The house belongs to Miles. He, Pippa and she were the original occupants and they have been friends for years. Astrid and Miles had a relationship for a while but are now back to being just friends. Pippa is an attorney as is Miles. Astrid studied law but never followed through after grad ...more
Sandie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

I have been listening to Nicci French's back catalogue of books in 2018. Some of the books I have loved others not so much. I think Until It's Over is definitely up there in my favourites along with Beneath the Skin.

This book was a little different to Nicci French's other books. Cycle Courier Astrid Bell lived in a big house on Maitland Road with university friends Pippa and Miles who owned the house. The other tenants were Mick, Dario, Davey and Owen. The household w
Merel
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book had been sitting on my shelf for a few years. I’d found it at a book convention for a few euros and thought I’d give it a shot. The cover seemed cool and the blurb on the back intrigued me. I’ve always been a sucker for a good murder mystery so this seemed right up my alley.
That was true, for the most part.

Even though the beginning was fairly slow, I got into it pretty quickly. I’ve been having a reading slump for the longest time (until I started reading Warcross) and this was a

• To Tell You the Truth
  • Koorts
  • The Twilight Hour
  • Never Ask Me
  • Het laatste offer
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • The Sister-in-Law
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • The Searcher
  • In mijn dromen
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature