Start by marking “Someone to Watch Over Me (Spencer, #48)” as Want to Read:
Someone to Watch Over Me (Spencer, #48)

Someone to Watch Over Me

(Spenser #48)

In this next thriller in the New York Times-bestselling Parker series, Spenser and his new apprentice trace the murder of a young woman to an international crime ring that has been operating with impunity because of the powerful and highly connected billionaire at its helm.

Ten years ago, Spenser helped a teenage girl named Mattie Sullivan find her mother's killer and take
Published January 12th 2021 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Someone to Watch Over Me, please sign up.
Bob Brazeau you really have to give it a taste, might like it, or perhaps not. Took me a long time to accept the author. He does not write like RP.

Start your review of Someone to Watch Over Me (Spencer, #48)
Kemper
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free advance copy of this from NetGalley.

Spenser tries to bring down a rich pedophile who has been protected for years by his wealth and influence. This guy also has a partner in a woman who helps him lure the girls in, and they are often taken to a private island where other powerful men come to party.

That’s just such a disturbing and creepy premise that I’m glad this is a work of fiction and that nothing like that could happen in real life….

In the first Spenser book that Ace Atkin
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Cool PI story - very Epstein-ish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I can’t remember the last time I read a story by Robert Parker, reading this version, even though it’s number 48 in a series, was a brand new experience.

I have to say I was not intimidated in the least to be reading book 48 in the series. I had hoped that it would be a standalone to a degree and in fact, it pretty much was. While I’m sure the majority of the characters were in prior novels, I did not feel lost in the least.

The aut
Scott
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ace Atkins is back with his ninth “Spenser” novel following the untimely death of Robert B. Parker, the creator of the classic Boston-based private investigator extraordinaire. It’s hard to believe that it’s been over 10 years since Parker passed away, let alone this is Atkins ninth outing with Spenser, Hawk, Susan, and introducing Pearl the third. It’s easy to see that Atkins has captured the unique qualities and ide synchronies of these classical characters, as well as the heart and moral code ...more
Monnie
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spenser is one of my all-time favorite book characters (and one of very few who translated well to the small screen, IMHO). When this author took over from the late Robert B. Parker, I was skeptical; but he's done an exemplary job of staying true to the original. My only "complaint," if you will, is that I've seen little of Spenser's cohort Hawk - another favorite character - and when he did appear, he didn't quite "sound" like himself. Well, folks, Hawk's back in this one - both in person and v ...more
MicheleReader
It’s always risky to jump into a long-running series for the first time. But with a little checking on the characters’ backstories, I was able to enjoy Someone to Watch Over Me by Ace Atkins, the legacy author for Robert B. Parker and his Spenser series. I don't have the issue of comparing the "new" author from the series creator.

Most people checking into this book know the characters far better than I do so I’ll simply say I found Spenser, Hawk, Susan and the others enjoyable characters. Lots o
Lou Jacobs
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Iconic Boston Private Eye: Spenser returns to kick butt across Boston, Miami and the Bahamas with the aid of his best friend and ally, the ever dangerous and stylish Hawk. They are charged with taking down the villainous Peter Steiner and his henchwoman and accomplice, Poppy Palmer. In a gritty hard-boiled fashion, Ace Atkins provides a pitch perfect drama, as they attempt to make order out of chaos and injustice. Mattie Sullivan works for Spenser as a
part-time assistant and sleuth-in-training w
Jeff Dickison
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ace Atkins does a great job with the Spenser series and here he does a do over of the Jeff Epstein episode, and if you still don't get it, he names one of his cops Epstein. Spense and Hawk take down a rich millionaire and his procurer with a penchant for sex with children. Has a nice surprise ending. Recommended. ...more
Hobart
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
It was early evening and early summer, and my bay window was cracked open above Berkeley Street. I had a half-eaten turkey sub on my desk and the sports page from The Globe splayed out underneath. Dan Shaughnessy proclaimed Mookie Betts to be overrated. I'm sure many said the same thing about me. But I was pretty sure being overrated was better than being underrated. A mistake few made twice.

I contemplated Mookie’s s
Anthony Head
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is the last of the Spenser books. No, it isn’t an end to the series, but it is the end of my reading of the new ones. After forty-eight years, three authors, and forty-nine books, it is time to say goodbye to Spenser, Hawk, Susan and all the rest of the gang.

When Robert Parker died suddenly ten years ago, his estate’s decision to continue the series (whether for art, honor, or money) with Ace Atkins at the helm didn’t seem like a terrible idea. Ace Atkins is an excellent writer.

However, whe
Lesa
As I mentioned the other day, after Robert B. Parker died I tried one of the Spenser novels by Ace Atkins, and gave up. The voice just didn’t hit me right. I’d always been a fan of Spenser, enjoying his witty, sometimes snarky comments. It’s been a few years, and I finally picked up Robert B. Parker’s Someone to Watch Over Me. Spenser and Hawk are right in this book. I wonder, though, how long the series will continue. Both of them are aware that they’re aging. Of course, they’ve been aging for ...more
Donna
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Mattie is Spenser's part time secretary/sleuthing assistant. I can see why he likes her -- she's full of bravado and has a true mouth on her. She tells him a friend, only 15 years old, was asked to give a massage to an older man in a gentleman's club -- only a massage for $500. You can guess that's not all that happened. When the girl ran, she left her backpack and they won't give it back. You know Spenser is not going to let this ride.

Big news flash: Hawk is back! The Spenser books have not be
Mark
I'm thoroughly thankful for the estates of some of my favorite authors, like Parker, Tom Clancy or Vince Flynn, employing “legacy authors," that, not only keep the franchises alive, but have captured the original author's essence...Ace Atkins has the Spencer universe nailed, especially the dialogue driven scenes…Jeffery Epstein DID NOT kill himself, rather he shows up here on the pages of Ace Atkins' "Spenser," Someone to Watch Over Me."...Peter Steiner and Poppy, the millionaire, and the woman ...more
Arnie
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was going to compliment Ace on doing a great job capturing Parker’s voice. But really at this point it’s just a great Ace Atkins Spenser novel. When I laugh out loud while reading, I know it’s Spenser at his best. Thank you Ace.
Virginia C. Linch
Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointment

Having read every Spenser book, I was hoping his awesome legacy would continue. Not to be. EeK? From Spenser? Never has he ever been boring, he is now. Never has the dialogue been tedious, it is now. Never has Hawk been a mere sidekick, he is now.
Will 're -read from my library and be glad Robert Parker is not here to know that his legacy has been violated in the worst way
Peter Ackerman
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What might one do if a Spenser movie tanks on Netflix. Take another Netflix show and write a Spenser novel around it? That feels like what happened here with Robert B. Parker’s Someone To Watch Over Me written by Ace Atkins, but fear not, it works!

The book opens with Spenser and his new associate, young 22-year-old Mattie, helping a friend of hers who was accosted by a millionaire under the guise of giving a massage in his home. As the duo follows the crime, the millionaire, and the woman who as
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME is an immediate bright spot for the beginning of the new year. Ace Atkins was personally tapped by Joan H. Parker to continue the stories of Spenser, the iconic detective created by her late husband, Robert B. Parker. It was an excellent choice, as Atkins has been able to bring his own fine writing chops to the table while preserving and continuing Parker’s magic.

This latest entry brings back a character I am not particularly fond of: Mattie Sullivan, who is serving as s
Jay
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
In the latest Spenser novel, author Ace Atkins reintroduces readers to Mattie Sullivan. For longtime fans of the series, you'll remember her as the 14 year old from South Boston that Spenser ended up helping find out the true killer of her mother.

It's been 8 years since they first met and now Mattie is a 22 year old young woman. She helps Spenser with various administrative tasks associated with his PI business and is learning the ropes as a fledgling investigator herself.

That last part figures
Michael O'Leary
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When my favorite author, Robert B. Parker died unexpectedly in January 2010, I was devastated. He was a great mystery/detective writer with several viable series in the genre. After his death the executors of his estate decided, together with Parker’s publishers, to allow the Spenser, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall, and Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch series to continue to be written by agreed-upon authors.

The Spenser novels first continued with the one Parker was working on at his death was completed b
Glyn
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of either Robert B. Parker or indeed his detective creation Spenser before now and picked this book up on a whim, having seen the good reviews. Parker, I have since learned, died in 2010, but Ace Atkins has continued to bring Spenser to life and I'm glad he has (and maybe more authors should feel free to take this licence - why not have a new series of Sherlock Holmes, or Sam Spade and keep the wonderful characters alive for a new generation?).
The story is blatantly influenced by
Jenna
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
HOARDER CHALLENGE #18-MINIMALIST COVER

Mattie is a great additional character to the series. She fits right in w Spenser & his pals even tho she’s a young girl. Another kid for him to mentor. While it does fit w/ their characters & I get it, it’s a shame that he & Susan never married or had kids. I like that he’s taken on some young people over the years who become family (ie. Paul, Z, Mattie, etc.) the fit in with his world.
This is a rough one dealing with sex crimes against young girls
Jodi
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libby, 2021-read
This is a reimagining in Boston of the Jeffrey Epstein/Ghislaine Maxwell case. Spenser has a new sidekick, Mattie Sullivan, the girl he helped 10 years ago find her mother's killer and take down a crime boss. Now she's in college and works for Spenser on the side. She brings him what appears to be an easy case. A friend did a stupid thing. She took a job for $500 to give a massage to an older guy but the guy wanted more. She ran and left her backpack behind. She wants it back. Unfortunately, Spe ...more
Ken
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How old is Spenser supposed to be at this point? Woody Strode? Has to be over 60. Several illusions to "old man" but he still takes down the 30-40 year professional hit men with ease, and all the women's hearts go a flutter when they smell his aftershave. I've read 48 Spenser adventures so far. There were probably 15 great ones, 25 above average ones, and eight kind of like this, meh. I don't blame Atkins, he does a remarkable job of channeling Parker's style and character but he's really just g ...more
Debra Belmudes
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done! I thoroughly enjoy Joe Mantegna's narration of the Spenser books ... he captures Spenser's irreverant sense of humor so well! The author does an excellent job of carrying on Robert B. Parker's writing style.

It's your usual Boston PI story with an updated twist thanks to the news headlines provided by Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.... you get the idea.
John Owen
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you've read all of the Robert B. Parker books, then the Ace Atkins versions are worth reading. He does a great job of emulating Parker's style. ...more
Will G
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a vintage Spenser yarn from Ace Atkins worthy of those written by Robert Parker himself. A thinly veiled Spenser version of Jeffrey Epstein makes this very topical. Hawk is featured in this one as well. A great read....
Mary
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this book was the type of mystery I don't like. So my rating is probably not fair for those people who like this series. ...more
Rick
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spenser, Hawk and crew challenge a Jeffrey Epstein-like character and his disgusting entourage in this thriller. Susan is in this one too as a bonus.
Ned Frederick
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Someone to Watch Over Me reads like vintage Spenser. I was an early and devoted reader of the series starting some 40 years ago. However, its been 20 years since I last read one of the Parker originals, although I did consume the first Atkins-written continuation, Wonderland, a few years back. It’s fun being back in Boston's Backbay with Spenser. But he could use an update in my opinion. Surprisingly, even with a couple of decades more experience under his size 42 belt, I’m disappointed to repor ...more
Brett T
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the 48th Spenser book overall, Ace Atkins puts in a callback to his first outing with Robert B. Parker's main creation, Spenser. In 2012's Lullaby, he helped Mattie Sullivan find the actual men who killed her mother. In this year's Someone to Watch Over Me, a grown Maddie comes to Spenser for help with what seems like a small matter: A friend's young sister unwisely took $500 to be a "hostess" at a well-heeled private Boston club. The girl's encounter with a powerful man there unsettled her e ...more
Annie
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Someone to Watch Over Me is the 48th (!!) Spenser novel, and the 9th (by my count) written by Ace Atkins after Mr. Parker's death. Due out 12th Jan 2021 from Penguin Random House on their G.P. Putnam's Sons imprint, it's 400 pages and will be available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats.
I've been in love with this series since book 1 (The Godwulf Manuscript) and I was really sad when the author passed, thinking that I would have to confine
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise (A Jesse Stone Novel Book 19)
  • Hush-Hush (Stone Barrington #56)
  • Serpentine (Alex Delaware, #36)
  • Every Last Fear
  • The Lost Boys (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #26)
  • The Russian
  • Robert B. Parker's Grudge Match (Sunny Randall Book 8)
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Twenty (Jack Swyteck, #17)
  • Missing and Endangered (Joanna Brady #19)
  • One by One
  • Rage
  • The Breaker (Peter Ash, #6)
  • Invisible Girl
  • Don't Ever Forget (Adler and Dwyer, #1)
  • The Burning Girls
Ace Atkins is the author of eight novels, including his latest, Infamous, from G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

A former journalist who cut his teeth as a crime reporter in the newsroom of The Tampa Tribune, he published his first novel, Crossroad Blues, at 27 and became a full-time novelist at 30.

While at the Tribune, Ace earned a Pulitzer Prize nomination for a feature series based on his investigation into a

Spenser (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)