Start by marking “Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year

Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year

A magnificent collection of 365 passages from Shakespeare's works, for the Shakespeare scholar and neophyte alike.

Make Shakespeare a part of your daily routine with Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year, a yearlong collection of passages from Shakespeare's greatest works. Drawing from the full spectrum of plays and sonnets to mark each day of the year, whether it's a scene
Published October 13th 2020 by Penguin Books (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year

Start your review of Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year
Mackey
What a wonderful way to fill your life with Shakespeare! In Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year, you get a new quote from Shakespeare a day - obviously. Some correlate to the day itself Of course March 15th would not be complete with the quote "beware the Ides of March," but other days are filled with delightful bits of prose that are not as well known but equally perfect none the less.

If you adore and/or collect quotations as I do or if you know of someone who could use a bit of classical li
sandra ✿
the cover gave me romantic aspirations of waking up each day ready to better acquaint myself with the bard, maybe while having morning tea and listening to violin in the background. in hindsight it was a mistake to buy a collection of unrelated passages instead of just reading a full play. 3 stars for an impressive compilation, but it just didn’t do it for me.
Andy
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really doesnt get any better than this. Want to read Shakespesre but not a while play. This book gives you a speech or passage for every day of the year, with notes and fascinating facts. Perfect for everydsy dipping!
Pam
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an electronic ARC from Penguin Group through NetGalley.
I've already put this book in my Barnes and Noble cart.
Esiri has compiled a year's worth of readings from Shakespeare's canon. Along with the reading, she provides further informative text about the writing and the significance for each day. At the end of the book, she provides a synopsis of each of Shakespeare's works along with citations for when each is quoted in the book as well as an historical timeline.
It's delightful to se
Daisy May Johnson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully produced, this is something to wallow in. Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year does precisely what it says on the tin; three hundred and sixty five extracts from Shakespeare for every day of the year. It cover "sonnets, soliloquies, quotes and extracts" and rather delightfully pairs these with a little note of introduction for the relevant time of the year. So, for example, February 14th sees sonnet 29 "When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes" and a paragraph talking about how ...more
Lauren
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I think this is a really good collection of Shakespeare excerpts. A lot of important scenes are included, as well as some more obscure scenes from the less Hollywood plays (looking at you, Timon of Athens). The author did a pretty good job of trying to match up scenes to relevant dates, and provided some good background information. Naturally, there is not a Shakespeare quote/scene that perfectly aligns with every day of the year, but there was an attempt to find a good, corresponding phrase.
I
Lacey
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
*I received this e-ARC in exchange for a fair review.*

Allie Esiri's "Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year" offers its readers the opportunity to spend a little quality time with Shakespeare every day. Upon receiving it for review, I was concerned about how well this would work. I'm the kind of scholar who finds it annoying when people take quotations from his plays out of context and end up misunderstanding them, so I was curious to see how or if Esiri avoided this.

I was pleasantly surprised by
Ellesha Syke
🎭William Shakespeare wrote thirty seven plays, one hundred and fifty four sonnets and a handful of longer poems and you can discover them all here.

Each page of Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year contains an extract - a soliloquy, poem, quote or scene - matched to date. The introductory paragraphs serve as a window into the work, time and life of the greatest writer in the English language.

Perfect for reading or sharing, this anthology brings you Shakespeare's best-known and best-loved classic
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of Shakespeare For Every Day of the Year by Allie Esiri from Goodreads.

History buffs, Shakespeare fans, and individuals who enjoy learning something every day will simply love Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year by Allie Esiri. This fascinating compilation, from the beautiful cover, to the wonderfully laid out content, appeals to book lovers. The book is organized for daily consumption through the year. Each date offers a brief history about the times in which Shakespeare lived or
Diane Hernandez
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
It's an interesting idea but I'm unclear how each passage is chosen. I thought it was going to be reading one play in order in bite-size pieces, and then on to the next play, rather than piecemeal like this format. Due to this methodology, Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year is much better for readers that are already very familiar with Shakespeare's work. This book will be published on October 13 2020 just in time to be a great holiday present for the Shakespeare fan in your life. 4 stars!

Tha
Emma Dargue
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little premature in finishing this book but I really loved it. The way this book works is that you get an extract from one of Shakespeare's plays or sonnets. The format really allows Shakespeare to be a lot more digestible to people who aren't the biggest readers of Shakespeare a bit like myself. The use of different actors to portray the different parts and the fact that they use actors ranging from actors that are just starting out like Jade Anouka to more well known actors such as Hele ...more
Conny
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
In the time of COVID I wanted to learn something new and I realized that I never read any Shakespeare before, and I wanted to rectify that. This book is perfect because not only do you get your fill in small snippets but you also learn something about each day of the year as it pertains to Shakespeare. I am really enjoying it and find it very informative. It gives me an insight into all his works and I can decided what book I might want to read in its entirety. This would make a great gift. I ce ...more
Mandy Peterson
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'd really like to see this condensed into one of those daily calendars! The selections are paired with the date, season, or time of year to make every entry timely and applicable. It is great fun and would be a perfect addition to a library, personal library, or little free library. ...more
Cathryn Pattinson
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, to learn new favourites & revisit old quotes, speeches & sonnets. Literally one piece for each day & in some way related to that date in the year or a theme for the season. Brilliant!
Tfalcone
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley for the free ARC. Enjoyed this daily quote Shakespeare Book.It reminded me of how often we allude to the bard in our daily language. Great coffee table book.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has lots of potential in a classroom. It's a great way to explore how Shakespeare's work is deeply embedded in Western culture. ...more
Paula-Diane Lufflum
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love it, a bit of every part of Shakespeare's works, plays, sonnets, a daily dose of culture. ...more
Kyra Coffell
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this, it is something that you can read a little bit of every day with your students. Or every night with your child, exposing them to poems and giving them a diverse reading experience.
Katy
Nov 26, 2020 is currently reading it
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Antonella Gramola-Sands
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of Shakespeare’s extracts, one for each day of the year. One of the very few things that kept me sane this year.
Suhailah Iskandar
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finish my year with this book of excerpts from Shakespeare. Of all Shakespearean plays, I love and appreciates King Lear and having to read some scenes from that play, simply thrilling. Its a good compilation, I must say in a day to day 365 days concept. Well Done.
Sheila Howes
An interesting introduction to Shakespeare. I've learned a lot, and read parts of plays/sonnets I've never come across! ...more
Helen
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
3.5*

A lot of work has gone into collecting these extracts, and the editor has done a lovely job of explaining each day’s choice. The book does what it says on the tin.
Juergen John Roscher
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good short snippets from Shakespeare's plays. I've enjoyed getting a daily Shakespeare fix. Makes we want to regularly read a paly by the master. ...more
John Marshall
Excellent way to reflect on the breadth and depth of Shakespeare's writings in bit-size chunks! ...more
Lucy
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection, with fascinating passages of history.
Stacie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed are my own.

I've always loved books like this, with a surprise for every day. And Shakespeare is my favorite author, so I was really excited to see this one!

I'm still enjoying it (it's only February!), but this is as fun as I imagined. I love having a new (or old) quote to think about every day. There's a great variety and it's done really well.
WheeldonHS
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a well-considered collection of Shakespeare's works. Each entry has an informative introduction regarding the piece.

This is a great book for fans of Shakespeare or for people wanting to learn more about his works.

However, if like me, you're not a big fan of Shakespeare then there is little to hold your interest for the entire year. Whilst I liked the snippets of historical information, I found I just couldn't be bothered to keep going with it.

I appreciate that this is a great book for th
Chloe
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how everyday has an extract but also provides the context necessary

• The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • A Winter's Promise (The Mirror Visitor #1)
  • Snow Still
  • Midnight Is a Place
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Last Day
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Status Update (#gaymers, #1)
  • Beta Test (#gaymers, #2)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • A Song for Summer
  • We Are All Greta: Be Inspired to Save the World
  • Arctic Wild (Frozen Hearts #2)
  • The Turn of the Screw
  • La vendetta
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts, #1)
  • Connection Error (#gaymers, #3)

News & Interviews