Start by marking “Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)

Breaking Faith

(Breaking Faith #1)

Soon-to-be medical student Brett Derwent thinks he has everything all planned out. That is, until he meets Tommy Hawks. Over the course of one incredible summer in Northern Montana, this easy-going, kind-hearted guy turns Brett's life upside down...but Tommy isn't everything he seems.

Brutalized by his violent father, desperate to protect his mother and four siblings, and
ebook, second edition, 234 pages
Published March 2010 by Alpheratz Press Ltd. (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Faith

Ilhem
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-king
4,5 stars

It started liked that, just the simple beginning of a friendship

Breaking Faith features two characters who are teens/young adults for the most part of the book but it definitely will call out to you as an adult. My civil status says I am one and I swallowed lumps in my throat repeatedly, sniffled, cooed (discretely and too rarely), had incredible fits of rage and mulled over endless questions.

The story opens on casual facts of life : Brett is 19 years old, preparing med school, cheri
Bev
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it

I think probably 3.5 stars for this one from me for Brett and Tommy.

I won't go into all the details of the book, but we have GFY, prison , a complete shithead of a dad, a dead shithead of a dad, and a love that lasts all the time one of the guys is in jail, which I have to say I found a little improbable given their young age. Not a keeper I'm afraid.
Juxian
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abused, native
It was one of those terribly exhausting books when you hate everything that happens there, you don't like the characters so much - and yet not to the extent that you can justify dropping it. There were so many ugly things happening in this book - hell, almost everything in it was ugly. Realistically ugly, I must admit but - you know... You can open a site to check your mail - and ten headlines about ugly things that people do to each other will immediately spring on you, can't be more realistic ...more
Evelyn Swift (Featherbrained Books)
This really wasn’t what I was expecting but it was a fairly good story. It was much heavier than I thought it would be and had a lot of mature themes about abuse, terrible families, drugs/alcohol, and young attraction. I liked both Tommy and Brett but the romance left a lot to be desired for me. I was looking for a couple that got my heart beating and they just didn’t connect for me. In the beginning, as they were just discovering each other it was very sweet and I enjoyed it, but I found it a b ...more
Adrianne
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best, most realistic portrayals of a gay erotic romance which I have ever read. The emotions are very real, and heartrending. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about two people in love and up against amazing odds. Excellent book!
Trisha Harrington
It was not what I had been expecting. I did not enjoy this book at all. So I can only give it 2 stars. :)
Ricardo
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars

Brett and Tommy start dating, Brett has just finished high school and Tommy is a few years older but not much. Brett is white and Tommy is native but in the place they live Tommy is considered to be “from the wrong side of the tracks.” Tommy’s father is abusive and one time when he becomes abusive with Tommy’s little sister, Tommy follows him to a bar with a gun and shoots him. Tommy goes to prison and Brett puts his college plans aside to pay for Tommy’s lawyer and waits for him. Tom
Stacey Jo
This book was gripping, engaging, heart-breaking, yet uplifting by the end. It makes you wonder just how much you would give up for someone you love. And I'm not talking about someone you've known forever or with whom you have a deeply established bond. Brett Derwent met Tommy Hawks in the ski shop that Tommy worked in where Brett was a ski instructor in Northern Montana. Brett has plans to go to med school at the end of the summer but over the summer, the two find an incredible love for each ot ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Antonella
Free for one hour at DSP NOW
"Breaking Faith," by M. King is part of our free November Tweetaways! Available for an hour.
Silkeeeeeereads
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-coming-of-age
Extremely heavy story. Very sad and hard to shake off. I guess that says a lot about the talent of the writer. It's not a pretty story, but one that unfortunately is too common.
Manuela
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story, but a beautiful one at the same time. I read a few books about abuse and damaged characters, but this one is probably the most realistic. Or at least that's how it felt to me. Often in romance, even when a difficult subject like abuse is front and center, authors choose to make things less ugly, to give their characters easy and positive ways out. Not this author and not this book: everything about Tommy and Brett's journey is so difficult and so heartbreaking and actions ...more
Lisa
I liked this book how Brett stayed with Tommy despite him going to prison. I know there is a second bbok in the series and maybe it will be explored there but I thought it was a little easy how Tommy came out of prison and seemed to adjust to life on the outside.
Alex
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall
A powerful, moving story that follows two young men as they face cruel realities and the struggles of love and trust. While this tale starts off innocently as two first meet and begin to explore one another, it expands into something more, as a simple young romance is tested by external and internal forces. I enjoyed both parts of the ride, from the young love blooming to the rocky ride that follows.

A well-written and constructed piece filled with enjoyable, human (and flawed) characters
Lily
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Currently out of print but set for re-release @ Dreamspinner Press in Oct 2011

This book had been sitting on my TBR for ages, since 2008 to be precise. I'm so glad I finally read it. While it's not the typical M/M romance it is a wonderfully written story about two young men falling in love and dealing with some very difficult situations. If you're looking for a lighthearted romance this won't be the book for you but anyone wanting to read a well-written, emotional love story that also incorporat
ManOhMan
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Kerry  sullivan
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gblt, read-again, romance
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

This is what the book is about.
Brett Derwent thinks he has life all planned out. With the freedom of college life just months away, Brett’s eagerly awaiting some fun and independence… until he meets Tommy Hawks. Over the course of one northern Montana summer, an intense romance blooms between the young men, but Tommy has a painful secret—one that even first love can’t mitigate. Continually brutalized by his violent father, Tommy is pushed to th
Suze
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Tweetaway free read, Nov 13
Brett - thinks he is hard done to, but really all he has to do is keep quiet until college, then he can explore his sexuality.
Tommy - is hard done to, living in an abusive household with the pressure of being the eldest child (shared with his twin who is getting out).
The first half of the story is them meeting and gradually getting closer, though I did feel all the love and hope was foreshadowed by a sense of doom. Like all crashes, you know it is coming and can't stop it.
When the incident occur
Amber
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amber by: Stacey Jo
This book was an excellent read for me. It kept me up past my bedtime to read. This isn't a hearts and flowers type read. Its pretty dark and depressing dealing with parental abuse, murder, and separation. I loved the contrast between the two characters with Brett, although not from a wealthy family, still well off with plans for college and Tommy coming from an abusive family where he works to help support them. Bret at times seems really naive but that helps me believe that he could be able to ...more
Dianne
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the first pages I was completely and utterly invested in the characters of Brett and Tommy. The emotions they experienced in their lives, their love ,their struggles were everything from heart soaring to gut wrenching - and all so earnestly and realistically presented. The writing was beautiful and precise in immersing the reader into the thoughts and surroundings of the characters. Faith- the exploration of it, the emotions it incites - is exactly what this book is about. Faith in one's se ...more
B.
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Breaking Faith, as much as it could be considered a love story, it was also inspirational. Brett and Tommy's relationship is put to the test when Tommy is sentenced to ten years in prison. Brett doesn't just walk away, but instead remains a constant by Tommy's side. I wish the author would have gone into more of the stigma placed on people who are involved with convicts, but she does touch on it enough to get the general idea. If you're very into physical romances, this book is ...more
Angela
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erotica, m/m, romannce,
What a really good book that explores first love and trying to stay together through tragedy and years apart. The two MCs were very believable and very likable together. I felt more emotionally involved with this book then I have with any books that I've read lately. My only complaint was I wish we could have seen more of their life together at the end. This was a beautifully told story about love, loss, abuse and trying to keep sane while everything around them seems to be keeping them apart.
Elizabeth H.
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This novel might not be the best structured gay romance I've ever read, mainly because the ending is given short shrift. But I was absolutely captured by it from the very beginning and didn't want to put it down for anything. I found it haunting and effective. It's one of the very few gay romance novels I read in 2009 that I remember very, very well. I think of it now and then, and that's a huge compliment in my book. Kudos to the author for fearless writing.
Meggie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh gosh what an hard plotted story... and so deeply emotional... I felt really sad about Tommy fate and his childhood years. How awful... Good he had Brett through his prison years otherwise he would be all alone... I believe, that without Brett, Tommy's family wouldn't keep in touch with Tommy, okay Scott would... Damn, this was really hard plotted story. I really, really hope for some happiness in upcoming sequel...
Scott and Brett really need some happy years...
Snowtulip
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, own
3.5

This book had some pacing issues, but I was easily captured by Tommy and Brett and the real life difficulties that they were facing.

I caught myself saying "seriously" many times throughout the book, yet still remained captivated.

In the end, it was really the character depth of Tommy that kept me reading and invested in the story. I just felt for him throughout and really want some happiness for him!
Andrea
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5/5

Started out strong and I was into Brett and Tommy. The first part of the book would have been a 3 or 4 star rating. After Tommy's father died, the book took a huge turn. I wasn't feeling it after that. I wasn't even rooting for Brett and Tommy to be together any more. The ending felt really rushed. The last part of the book was more like a 1.5 or 2 star rating for me. Starting out so good and ending the way it did left me feeling it was just an OK book.
Veenayraja
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a plot-driven novel that left me pleasingly sapped of energy by end. The characters' stories take center stage, written in detail with the gut-wrenching poignancy of a Truman Capote true crime drama. The romance holds it together and creates the crushing impact. Yet, despite the NSHE, I was left with an inspirational sense that life can be good if we take the correct path. Highly recommend.
Olivia
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, ebook
I wish I could say that this was better than Brokeback Mountain for me...but, I didn't really like Brokeback Mountain that much either. I think the characters in this one were better but I never got really attached to any of them. I don't feel the characters really grew over the course of the story.
Lorraine
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I though the characters (Brett and Tommy)were well developed and believable. The story was somewhat sweet and intense, but was kinda drawn out as it progressed. I loved how it depicted love if it is strong it's strong, so the reason for four stars instead of three.
Kaetrin
Oct 25, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook, queer
NetGalley ARC
Syfy
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a difficult one to read, only because reality is so painful. 100% through and through a great book on every level.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • All Bets Are Off (Mountain Boys, #1)
  • Caregiver
  • A Still, Small Voice
  • Hot Mess
  • The Heart of the Jungle
  • Bodies of Work (The Avondale Stories #1)
  • Reclaiming Love
  • Diplomacy
  • Something Different
  • Venetian Masks
  • Between Two Worlds (Amish #1)
  • 72 Hours
  • It Started with Brian
  • Heart's Home
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Blue Notes (Blue Notes, #1)
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Sleeping Stone
M. King writes gay fiction with an emphasis on romance and erotica.

She lives in a damp and verdant corner of south west England, where she may usually be found behind a vat of coffee and a keyboard.

As of 2011, if you enjoy M. King's style, you can also check out her work as Anna Reith - non-explicit cross-genre fiction.

Visit her at:
www.twitter.com/mkingauthor
www.facebook.co

Breaking Faith (2 books)
  • Passing Shadows (Breaking Faith, #2)