Start by marking “The Girls Weekend” as Want to Read:
The Girls Weekend

The Girls Weekend

Their reunion just became a crime scene . . .

June Moody, a thirty-something English professor, just wants to get away from her recent breakup and reunite with girlfriends over summer break. Her old friend and longtime nemesis, Sadie MacTavish, a mega-successful author, invites June and her college friends to a baby shower at her sprawling estate in the San Juan Islands. Ju
Published August 11th 2020 by Crooked Lane Books (first published July 7th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Girls Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls Weekend

Start your review of The Girls Weekend
Dita
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I love, love, love a closed room mystery and I enjoyed the writing, dialogue and characterizations in this book. I fear, however, that it needed a few more characters in order to successfully pull off a surprise ending.

I suspected early the "who" and "why" but it was still a very enjoyable read and I still recommend strongly.

Thank you to Jody Gerham, Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hangover meets Knives Out waltzes with “And Then There Were None” vibes!

A great summary of vacation book: Best 5 friends’ reunion at least likeable but wealthier one’s estate in the San Juan Islands. But the least likeable a.k.a. control freak bitch disappears.

Her 17 year daughter of the least likeable and now missing, probably murdered friend, is more annoying than her mother (yes she reminds us of Rosemary’s baby: we haven’t seen her/his image and Polanski’s movie but as you think about the
marilyn
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I buddy read The Girls Weekend with Julie (JuJu) and she summed it up well..."It definitely wasn’t a deep, thought provoking book, but it kept my attention...like a bad soap opera."  June and her friends make so many bad decisions, one after another.  Once I got over the fact they were never going to do the smart thing, I just settled in for the wild weekend, went with the flow, and enjoyed the story.. June, Sadie, Amy, Kimi, and Em, are 38-ish year old college best friends/frenemies, spending a ...more
Kaceey
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75*
Attention ladies! It’s time for the old gang to reunite.
A weekend getaway to the sprawling estate belonging to one of the most successful in the bunch. Hmmmm, let me think…can’t imagine there would be hard feelings or jealousy! After all....they are all friends...right!?

After a sleeping off a night of hard partying they awaken to the disturbing news that one of their fellow merry-makers has disappeared. Was she murdered? Well, maybe that huge smear of blood on the wall is a subtle clue.

I
Debra
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Their reunion just became a crime scene . . .

Getting together with your friends from college sound like fun, right? Except when the host is your old nemesis who married the man you once dated and *gasp* turned down. June Moody is an English professor who had big dreams of becoming a successful author. Her nemesis Sadie, married June's ex and went on to become a successful author whose children's books have been made into popular movies. Begrudgingly she agrees to attend the weekend.

Sadie has it
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
Nope, no suspense or surprise for me.

I had a hard time with this novel from the beginning. I wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't a review copy.

The synopsis sounded like a novel that would suit me, but it failed in every way. I hated all the characters and couldn't connect. June was so annoying that my eyes were rolling non-stop, but the other "girls" weren't much better.

Very slow, very mild mystery that was far-fetched. I'm going to stop here because this was a huge struggle from beginning t
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The rest of the night is a series of blurred snapshots: the feel of someone's warm lips closing over mine. Hands in my hair. Golden light all around us.

There are large black patches where everything goes dark. I can see myself sitting on a beach. The stars pulse with clear silver joy; I can feel their happiness coursing through my body. There's cold sand beneath my toes. Somebody is braiding my hair.

A scream, high and sharp, full of panic; my throat aches as I realise it's coming from
Bridgett
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I was expecting something gritty and salacious...the reality of The Girls Weekend was quite different.

I'm so drawn to books like this one because I relate so deeply to the stage of life depicted...middle-age women spending time with old friends and reliving their youth. Unfortunately, this particular story didn't resonate at all. At it's heart, this is a 'locked-room mystery,' but there weren't enough characters to make it much of a mystery at all. I suspected the antagonist very early on, but k
James
The Girls Weekend is a 2020 release by Jody Gehrman, a new author to me. I found the book on NetGalley and thought it would be a clever thriller to read this week. I enjoyed the book and ended up allotting 3.5 stars, as it was a good story but didn't fully pop or surprise me at any point. That said, I recommend it as a solid thriller and suspense novel for fans of this genre.

Five college friends lost touch over ~20 years. Some stayed close, others drifted... the missing years are a little murky.
Frank Phillips
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a pretty darn entertaining read! It wasn't incredibly deep or scary, but it was refreshingly entertaining and had my attention throughout! The characters felt very real to me, and actually reminded me of a few people I know similar to Sadie, our protagonist. I appreciated that at one point it seemed like every character had motive and opportunity, and I suspected all of them at one point, which I love in a good thriller. An important lesson this book teaches us is that the grass isn't a ...more
Julie (JuJu)
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Julie (JuJu) by: Dita
Shelves: arcs, 2020-reads
Complex characters, woven together in a twisty and tangled shitshow!!

Your old college girlfriends want to get together for a weekend of fun. Drinking and reminiscing. It might be fun if it weren’t for all that unresolved animosity. It’s planned at Sadie’s “estate”. She’s the one who made it big and has the “perfect life”. She’s also the control freak, who needs everything to go her way. Sadie is more of a frenemy.

Kimiko’s the one who never really grew up. She’s still drinking and drugging like
Gabrielle Grosbety
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
“That’s always been her gift: serving a cocktail of bossy and sweet into frosty martini glasses. She can seduce, beguile, and manipulate all in one deft pour.”

The Girls Weekend made me feel like I was vacating my life as well and going on a retreat with these women who have secrets fizzing over like shaken up soda, pasts that threaten that they could be murderer or accessory to murder as all have motives and are constantly suspecting one another for the missed time they can’t make up in
megs_bookrack
Crooked Lane Books, you had me at 'locked-room mystery', one of my all time favorite tropes!

Didn't read the rest of the synopsis.

Don't know. Don't care. Give it to me!!!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A group of women who are mostly friends (maybe frenemies) get together for a reunion, at the large estate owned by queen bee Sadie MacTavish. When Sadie goes missing, they are all suspects… A fun and twist-y read that will definitely have you grabbing for the popcorn!

I loved that this is a closed-room mystery. All of the characters who could be suspects are secluded at the MacTavish estate, and I did enjoy puzzling over who I thought might be to blame! I have to say, these women are definite fre
Lilith Black Bee
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BLOG ••• TWITTER ••• WHISHLIST ••• 2 months of free books HERE

E-ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are my own and are not affected in any way.

PROS:
• Well developed characters. I feel like if the author didn't put a name to every character, I would've still known who is who. They are very easy to differentiate, their voices being so clear from one another that it's hard to mistake them.
• Amazing plot twist! I'm sure th
Mandy White
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman is a quick read, despite the story being a slow burn. It does take a while to get to the main part of the story. I read this book in an evening and while I enjoyed it, I felt that I had read it all before. There were parts of the story that were glossed over and really should have had more depth.

5 friends from college reunite for a girls weekend. They have not seen an awful lot of each other recently there is definitely plenty of tension among them. It is a dra
Rose
The Girls Weekend, by Author Jody Gehrman,

This book takes place in the Pacific Northwest of Washington State - at  a sprawling estate in the San Juan Islands. This caught my attention right away, being that I live on the West coast of Canada, and love this beautiful natural area of the world.

It's a Girl's weekend story, with a group of 5 girlfriends connecting after many years

It kind of started off on a good note for me, but I became quickly bored with the storyline. It just did not capture my a
Jenny
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Five college girlfriends reunite for a weekend baby shower. In theory, what could be better than five friends gathering together, reconnecting and celebrating the upcoming birth of a friends baby. On paper, a great idea but underneath the surface lies secrets and jealously that has one friend, June Moody, not wanting to go but changes her mind when abruptly dumped by her current boyfriend.
Heck, what could be better than licking your wounds at your friend, Sadie McTavish's house. Famous author, S
Lisa
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story kept my attention and was a fast and easy read. Not the deepest or most complex mystery, it reminded me of a Ruth Ware novel. A group of women have a weekend getaway but chaos ensues. That kind of thing. I liked it.
Darinda
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
June reunites with four old college friends (Sadie, Amy, Kimi, and Em). They gather for a baby shower for Amy, hosted by Sadie at her estate in the San Juan Islands. Things are a bit shaky between the old friends when everyone arrives. After a night that no one remembers well, Sadie is missing and everyone is a suspect.

The characters are a group of women in their late thirties. They haven't been in close contact for years, but decide to reunite when one of them is expecting a baby. Told from Jun
ℳacarena
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
June gets a text message from one of her oldest friends, Sadie, inviting the group to a baby shower at her house. It's been years since the five of them met, and June doesn't seem too eager to go to that "Fearless Five" reunion.

They all became friends at college, but their friendship is not as it used to be. June and Sadie were more like frenemies. Sadie was the typical queen B and, even though they are around 38 years old now, June still feels insecure around her.
Em is June's best friend, so
Kristi
The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman is a quickly paced thriller with an entertaining story-line. I had only one problem with The Girls Weekend and that lay in the main character and narrator, June Moody; she’s just not a very likeable gal. At. All. Generally, when reading, I either empathize with a main character or at the very least, can see their point; investing me in their story or plight. I don’t have to love them to love the book. I had a hard time becoming mentally engaged with June; she wa ...more
Taylor Knight
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was so excited to start The Girls Weekend. The plot sounded really great and I've been super into suspense books lately. However, I felt extremely disappointed with this book. I still really liked the overall plot but there was multiple times that the writing was tone deaf.
The first thing that hit me really wrong was the main character, June, and her careless comparison of hate stalking someone’s Instagram to a person who self harms. June was also incredibly immature and spent so much of her
Kim
This book reminds me of why I don’t have a lot of female friends, hah. (But the few ones I have: ride or die)

The narrator did a great job and I enjoyed listening to her voice. The story dragged a little sometimes but I kept looking forward to the next time I could hit play again. Overall: A satisfying read!
Alexa
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
I'm waffling between a 4 & a 5, so maybe call this a solid 4.5? I really loved it. I was sucked in immediately by the JUICY interpersonal conflicts, and "trapped in a place where a murder happens" is one of my FAVORITE thriller tropes, and this one did not disappoint. Though this one is "trapped in a place and someone disappears and there is blood on the wall and everyone blacked out and doesn't know what happened" but CLOSE ENOUGH.

The Girls Weekend plays on the complicated and sometimes toxic a
İlkim
I started last night and couldn't put it down. I was so wondering who the killer was, it kept me through all night. This is really a good thriller. And the important thing for me is, the ending is good. If the finale didn't work out for me, it affects all my journey.

Five women are coming together to celebrate the new baby but after a night of highly drinking (?) everything changes. No one remembers the previous night and everyone suspecting the other one. All secrets are revaling and you see an
Michael David
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
THE GIRLS WEEKEND is an entertaining thriller about a group of old college friends who meet up years later for a baby shower reunion weekend. When one of the women goes missing, the rest of them try to figure out what happened to her and if one of them are responsible.

Author Jody Gehrman does a great job writing compelling characters and making their stories interesting. I flew through this fast-paced book and was intrigued throughout. I will say the ending didn’t blow me away, even if it is ap
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: August 11, 2020
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Murder Mystery | Suspense

The Girls Weekend is a suspenseful murder mystery! I’m actually quite surprised by some of the reviews of this book because I personally thought this was a really great read! I love a weekend getaway type mystery, one where the characters have come together after a long period of time, and dark secrets are shared one by one. Add into this the seclusion of the setting, the unpredictable plot twists, and some intri
booksnpenguins
Book requested on and received from NetGalley.

Friendship can be a double-edged sword.
It can make you feel the most special person on the planet, or it can turn your life into a little, claustrophobic hell on earth.
June Moody knows all about it, especially about the ugliest face of it, and in this fast-paced thriller you'll get to see her struggling with the joys and pains long time friendship comes with. All spiced up with a criminal twist, some family drama, girl feuds, and some sweet and spi
The Cats’ Mother
The Girls Weekend (unforgivable to have left off the apostrophe!) is a stand-alone thriller by a new author to me, but one who has written several other contemporary fiction novels. It was perhaps a mistake to read another Friends Reuniting Locked Room type mystery so soon after The Guest List, as this suffers by comparison, although I find it interesting that in that book I didn’t mind all the characters being awful, but here the unlikeability, especially of the narrator, did bug me.

June Moody,

• Nothing to See Here
  • My Perfect Wife
  • Me
  • Stranger in the Lake
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • The Girl You Gave Away
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Sister-in-Law
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Don't Look Down (Shadows of New York #2)
  • Little Cruelties
  • Confessions on the 7:45
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel
Jody Gehrman is a native of Northern California, where she can be found writing, teaching, reading, or obsessing over her three cats most days. She is also the author of eleven novels and numerous award-winning plays. Her debut suspense novel, Watch Me, was published by St. Martin's Press. Her other adult novels are Bombshell, Notes from the Backseat, Tart, and Summer in the Land of Skin. Her Youn ...more