Start by marking “This Is How I Lied” as Want to Read:
This Is How I Lied

This Is How I Lied

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  8,950 ratings  ·  1,289 reviews
Gudenkauf proves herself the master of the smart, suspenseful small-town thriller that gets right under your skin.” —Gilly Macmillan, New York Times bestselling author of The Nanny

Everyone has a secret they’ll do anything to hide…

Twenty-five years ago, the body of sixteen-year-old Eve Knox was found in the caves near her home in small-town Grotto, Iowa—discovered b
Published May 12th 2020 by Park Row

To ask other readers questions about This Is How I Lied, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelly Wells Yeah that ticked me off too - arson is kiiiiind of a big deal, and it just got set aside?

·  8,950 ratings  ·  1,289 reviews

Start your review of This Is How I Lied
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ladies and gentleman, we have another WINNER!

As soon as I saw Heather Gudenkauf’s name, I requested this book without reading its blurb, because “Before She was found” was one of my last year’s favorite, underrated books and I believe her new book will be also another surprising, twisting, heart throbbing, gripping thriller. And yes, I don’t have to be clairvoyant to know I’ll get something fresh, mind numbing, well written with impeccably crafted, complex characters. It is already at my top ten
daph pink ♡
2*disappointing*stars

Yet another mystery book where author tries to make her characters interesting and secretive and fails to do it.

Why I picked up this book?
There was a comment on this book :- based in a small town where secrets are still alive( and you know how much i like books set in small town)

Why I disliked this book?

• Poor character development :- now this is the thing I disliked the most about this book. All the characters are horribly portrayed .

Maggie ,the haunted cop I literally
megs_bookrack
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

This is how I lied, and this is my truth.

Grab your popcorn and settle in, This is How I Lied is a wild and sometimes cringey ride!

In 1995, 15-year old, Eve Knox was viciously murdered.

When she didn't arrive home that fateful night, her Mom panicked. It was so unlike Eve to be late, therefore, fairly quickly a search was began.

Her best friend, Maggie, teamed up with Eve's little sister, Nola, and they ultimately ended up finding Eve's body, discarded in a local cave.

Neithe
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Heather Gudenkauf joined us in The Behind the Pages group for Spoiler-free Q & A to talk about her books and her writing process

To see what Heather has to say you can find the Q & A here to ask Heather a question or leave her a comment

My review

This Is How I Lied has a little something different here with the creep level to the story and Heather Gudenkauf had me a little worried as she created a sense of dread for me like I haven’t felt before while read
Kaceey
Meh...💁🏻‍♀️

At seven months pregnant, Maggie knows she can’t continue her role as an active police detective. She’s been assigned desk duty digging into a cold-case from over twenty years ago. The murder of her friend Eve, to be precise! In fact, Maggie was the one that found Eve’s body all those years ago.

Is Maggie capable of maintaining her objectivity? Or is she way too close to this crime to help bring it to a close.

I’ve enjoyed Heather Gundenkauf’s books in the past, but this one failed to g
Michelle
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-w-mars
Starts with a bang but sadly fizzles out.

At around 60% a reveal is made that pissed me off because at this point everything we've been told is basically a lie. There was absolutely no foreshadowing of this. It was simply a case of "Oh, I forgot I did that." How is a reader suppose to believe this?

Maggie the pregnant police detective cries and vomits a lot which grew very tiresome. Nola, the sister of Eve that was murdered, is one of the most bizarre characters I've read about in a while and no
Larry H
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Heather Gudenkauf's new thriller, This Is How I Lied , is not to be confused with Riley Sager's The Last Time I Lied or any other thriller with the word "lied" in it.

If you’re looking for a slightly creepy thriller with some great twists, one that will have you flipping pages as you race toward the ending, stop. You’ve found it right here.

Twenty-five years ago, Maggie’s best friend Eve was murdered. Maggie and Eve’s troubled younger sister Nola found Eve’s body. Ther
Norma
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, absorbing, and an irresistible page turner!

THIS IS HOW I LIED by HEATHER GUDENKAUF is a cleverly layered, compelling, dark, and suspenseful psychological thriller that meanders and holds you tight in its grasp without you even realizing it. This definitely sets the tone for an immersive and unputdownable read.

What I absolutely love about HEATHER GUDENKAUF’S storytelling is that she hooks you in almost immediately and then the story makes its way under your skin as the story progresses.
Kelli Wilson
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
3.25 stars!

A mystery book about a 25 year old unsolved murder. New evidence has been discovered that leads to reopening the case. The current lead detective on the case was actually the one who originally found the body and was the victims best friend. Will she be able to be objective? She begins by pulling all the case files and evidence previously collected. The case will make her reevaluate several people in her small town, as well as herself.

This was a slower, but constant paced book. The st
Berit☀️✨
Gripping and disturbing. Heather Gudenkauf has crafted an addictive, dark and twisted who done it. 25 years ago Maggie’s best friend Eve was murdered. The case was never solved, but now there is a new lead and Maggie Who is now a police officer is on the case. Re-opening this cold case stirs up many secrets and old feelings,, not everyone is happy about it. A tense Mystery with plenty of suspects and secrets. So who killed Eve all those years ago? Was it the boyfriend? The sister? The creepy guy ...more
Diane S ☔
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Psychological thrillers and I still seem not to mesh. I seem to pokev, what i think are, major holes in the plot. Picky, picky I know and others may not feel the same. Still, could one person have so many happening in one day? Seriously! The suspense level was okay, the characters were okay. Nola though, a definite bad seed, she was entirely creepy. I enjoyed seeing what she would do next. Her character definitely added to the storyline.

I like this author generally, so will probably read her ne
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Happy Publication Day to This Is How I Lied!

3 stars. An unsolved murder in a small town.

Maggie is seven months pregnant and easing off her heavy workload as one of the two detectives in her small town. She reluctantly takes on desk duty and is assigned the cold case of a local young girls’ murder that devastated the town over twenty years ago. This case is close to Maggie as the victim, Eve, was her fifteen year old best friend and neighbour. Digging into the past brings up old memories while ne
Susanne  Strong
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
2.5 Stars

Shudder!

When Maggie was a teenager her best friend Eve was murdered.

Twenty-five years later, a new piece of evidence is found. Maggie is now a Detective in the small town of Grotto, Iowa and she is assigned to the cold case.

Every potential suspect is analyzed with fresh eyes: Could it have been Eve’s boyfriend, the Town Creeper, Her Sister?

Two years younger than her sister Eve, Nola has always been the town pariah. Now a Veterinarian, people still shun her. Of course, Nola’s vile hab
Mary Kubica
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Total page-turner! Quite possibly Heather's best book yet (though I love them all). Layered and smart, with truly nuanced characters and an unexpected ending. Must read! ...more
Kristy
Eve Knox was only sixteen when she died in the caves by her house. She was murdered, her body found by her best friend Maggie and Eve's younger sister, Nola. While there were some suspects--her boyfriend, Nick; the local town drifter--no one was ever arrested and the case, led by Maggie's police chief father, went cold. Now Maggie herself is a detective in her hometown of Grotto, Iowa. She becomes lead on Eve's case when it is reopened after new evidence emerges. Immediately Maggie is transporte ...more
Kendall
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well... we ALL know that I'm a huge fan of Heather Gudenkauf. I always know that Gudenkauf will deliver an impeccable heart throbbing thriller with complex characters.

And..... let me tell you once again her mastermind has not let me down. Gudenkauf sets an addicting and masterful web of suspense that you won't want to put down. I love the alternating viewpoints in this one and Gudenkauf sets her readers up nicely for a ride that will keep you turning those pages!!

Ohhhh Heather you certainly del
Barbara
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
“This is How I Lied” is a murder mystery with multiple creepy suspects. In fact, almost all the characters in this story are not only suspicious, but a bit eerie.

The story takes place in Iowa, which isn’t a state that I would expect such disturbing characters. But it’s always those small towns…. At any rate, a girl dies under suspicious situations and her murder is never solved. Twenty-five years later, her boot is found. She died in a cave, and her boot was found in an isolated crevice.

The vi
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Amazing characters and story!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow! That is exactly what I said so many time throughout this power packed book. The author crammed so many awesome pieces into this book, it simply grabs you and you are just compelled to keep reading.

The character development is awesome. It is not often we get a female creepy character. Nola is weird and odd, and just gives you the creeps overall. The level of detail throughout is superior and Gudenkauf is stellar at bringing the goods that lea
Liz
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
When Heather Gudenkauf wrote this book, she couldn’t have envisioned the pandemic we’d be dealing with. So, it was mildly disconcerting to have a book taking place in June, 2020 with no mention of Covid-19.
Told in a nonlinear fashion, we hear from Maggie O’Keefe, a detective in a small Iowa town tasked with re-investigating the 25 year old cold case of Eve Knox, her best friend in high school. We also hear from Eve prior to her death, and Eve’s sister in the present day. Maggie also happens to
Julie (JuJu)
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, arcs
A dark thriller with complex characters...Heather G is a fab storyteller and hasn’t disappointed me yet!

Maggie is an adult now, and a detective with the Grotto PD, but she’s still haunted by the unsolved murder of her BFF twenty-five years ago. She’ll never forget the night her and Eve’s sister—Nola—found the body and now Maggie has a chance to close the investigation.

A new clue has surfaced and since Maggie is seven-month’s pregnant, she’s prepared for desk duty, digging into the cold case.

Th
Kimberly Belle
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heather Gudenkauf kicks her signature suspense up a notch with This is How I Lied, a gripping, whirlwind of a read. Expectant mother Maggie, still haunted by the murder of her childhood best friend, dives into the cold case only to uncover shocking secrets. Dark and creepy, with plenty of questionable characters to keep you on your toes, this is the perfect summer page-turner.
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
(3.5) Good book, great writing.. I just didn’t connect with any of the characters. (Even characters I don’t like can be compelling.. But not in this 1.) Still a page turner though!
Denise
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I loved, loved, loved - until the ending. I don't even know why, but it just left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Still though, it is a big step up from Gudenkauf's previous book, Before She Was Found, which was just average for me.

The book begins with the sixteen year old, Eve Knox, being killed in a cave. You know that she knows her killer, and that is about it. Fast forward twenty-five years and Eve's best friend, Maggie (who coincidentally discovered Eve's body
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I never saw it coming. I was wrong then right wrong then right the wrong again. I love it when I am wrong. This is a must read. I am loving Gudenkauf's suspenseful thrillers. I can't wait for more from her. ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Dex Stroope is in his midsixties, big-bellied with a face that always looks like it could use a good nap.

I found Nola standing there looking up at me with those big glasses and green eyes like some kind of click beetle… Right away I was concerned, but by the casual look on Nola Knox’s face, you would have thought she was selling Girl Scout cookies or popcorn for her basketball team or something. But instead of asking me if I want a box of Thin Mints or Do-Si-Dos, she says, My sis
Christina McDonald
A twisty, evocative tale of the danger of secrets and the power the past has to lead us down deliciously dangerous paths. Immersive and richly atmospheric, This Is How I Lied intertwines page-turning suspense with characters that creep into your very bones.

The story follows Maggie, who’s been haunted by the murder of her best friend, Eve, for 25 years. Now a detective and about to give birth, she decides to investigate the cold case. But as shocking secrets emerge, she realizes someone in town k
Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel?
Five bright stars for This is How I Lied. Heather Gudenkauf’s novel is more than good enough, it is brilliant. I had to hold on to my seat for this one, it was quite a ride! You have likable characters until they are not. You have reliable characters until they are not. You have alternating/opposing POVs, murder, cover-ups, creepy behavior, manipulation, two young girls abused in different ways by their romantic interests. What more could you ask for? The identity of the murderer? To satisfy an ...more
Wendy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather Gudenkauf is one of my must read authors and she did not disappoint with "This Is How I Lied".
15 yr old Eve was murdered and her body was found by her crazy younger sister Nola and Maggie, Eve's best friend. The case was left unsolved until years later when Maggie, now a cop, reopens it with new evidence. Many twists and turns and many possible suspects lead to an unputdownable story.
Highly Recommended!

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin-Trade Publishing/Park Row for an arc of this nove
Judy D Collins
THIS IS HOW I LIED is a riveting crime thriller of an unsolved murder cold case, and the Author takes her finely crafted skills to another level. Atmospheric, heart-pounding, adrenaline-filled, intense, and extremely satisfying.

Another superb edgy thriller from one of my favorite authors. Powerhouse Author Heather Gudenkauf is a master of smart, chilling, and psychological thrillers. I have read each of them and anxiously awaiting the next.

THIS IS HOW I LIED is the best psychological thrille
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
This is a good, but not great offering from Gudenkauf. It's a fairly straightforward mystery--what exactly happened to Eve 25 years ago? How did she die and who is lying about their part in Eve's murder?
Overall, there aren't any major surprises. I was expecting a twist as with Gudenkauf's previous books, but this one doesn't really have one.
The one thing I really didn't care for is that there are a few plot threads that are not resolved fully in the end. Yes, we do find out who killed Eve and wh

• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption
  • Home Home
  • Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • She
  • Don't Look Down (Shadows of New York #2)
  • One of Us is Lying
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • The One Night Stand
  • The Daughters of Erietown
  • Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
Heather is the NYT and USA Today Bestselling author of THE WEIGHT OF SILENCE and NOT A SOUND.

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to treat yourself to new book this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...