Start by marking “The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)

The Country Inn Mystery

(Jenny Starling #7)

Discover a new series of whodunits by million-selling author Faith Martin. These charming mysteries will have you scratching your head to work out who the murderer is.

Meet Jenny Starling: travelling cook and reluctant amateur detective.

THIS IS A BRAND NEW, NEVER BEFORE PUBLISHED FAITH MARTIN BOOK.

Jenny Starling is working at The Spindlewood Inn for the weekend. It’s
Published June 20th 2019 by Joffe Books crime, thriller and cozy mystery (first published June 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Country Inn Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Country Inn Mystery

Start your review of The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
Alan Cotterell
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all I must thank Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC, in exchange for an honest review.

I am a fan of this author, having read all of her Ryder and Loveday (R & L) series, and quite a few of the DI Hillary Greene series. This is the first of the Jenny Starling series I have read and won't be the last.
It reads as if it could be a play, as it only really has a few locations. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I liked the character of Jenny Starling a bit of a modern day Miss Marple.,
Linda Strong
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it

Jenny Starling, otherwise known as the traveling cook, but most notably known for her penchant to be around every time there is a murder, is hoping that this time she won't have to deal with the local police.

She's working at a quaint inn just for the weekend. Not much can happen ... right? The inn is hosting a Regency Extravaganza, with guests attending in 1800s costumes, as well as actors/actresses from the Amateur Dramatic Society.

The actress, Rachel Norman, is re-enacting the drowning suicide
Helga
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisty plot, humor, interesting characters, appetizing food, ghost walks, amateur dramatics, suspicious death, an impossible murder, a cunning culprit, a few red herrings and a tragic love story.

In the 7th book of Jenny Starling series, Faith Martin is at her best.

Thanks to the author, Joffe Books and the NetGalley for a copy of the book.
Louise Wilson
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jenny Starling #7

Jenny Starling is a travelling cook. She's working in the kitchen in the Spindlewood Inn. Readers of this series will know that wherever Jenny is there is always a murder. Jenny is filling in for a friend. The owners of the Inn are holding a "Regency Extravaganza" weekend. One of the actresses while doing her "dying scene" dies for real. There are several witnesses, so how could this happen?

This is a good series. Jenny is not only a great cook, she's also a great detective as we
Cheryl
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star read.

A few tears shed after the reading of this one! Firstly, because this is the last book (so far) of the Jenny Starling series, with the author able to continue if she so chooses. And DAMN! ... I'm going to miss her. Secondly, poor Jenny concludes the case and rolls out on a whimper instead of the fireworks I had come to expect. I was a little disappointed with this offering hence the reduction in stars, but still an entertainingly light romp into a quintessential British m
Gail C.
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE COUNTRY INN MYSTERY by Faith Martin is the seventh in the Jenny Starling series. All of these books stand alone and there is no need to read them in any particular order. In this book, Jenny has accepted a two week cooking position to fill in for her friend who is going on her annual vacation. The setting is a lovely picturesque country inn where the owners have created a Regency Extravaganza for the weekend, complete with costumed participants from the local amateur dramatics society. Guest ...more
Anissa
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very fun entry in the series that has me hoping there's more Jenny Starling coming. The mystery pace was well done. The characters arrived on the scene quickly enough, the murder victim was perfectly off-putting and the murder itself was cleverly done. I only had a quibble about one half of the couple from the United States. Min did not use phrases an American would use (she used distinctly British ones) and it threw me out of the story in those instances. Still, this was a minor thing in an oth ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Jenny Starling is a traveling cook who has landed another plumb assignment. Not only is Jenny an exceptional cook who is in high demand for her culinary skills, but she has been more than instrumental when it comes to excelling at amateur sleuthing.

Currently, Jenny is at The Spindlewood Inn, and a play is being produced there. Jenny hopes to regale them with her tried and true recipes, but also wants to try a few new things. She is quickly distracted, however, when the leading actress in the en
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I must confess that this is the first book that I have read by this author and I really like the premise and our main character, Jenny Starling. Also enjoy that she is a traveling chef so that plots never will get boring or repetitive since new locales and people are always involved. Very good writing, sometimes a bit too flowery with some descriptions but that also lends it the books Bri ...more
Jannelies
This time, we find Jenny in a lovely country inn... over a weekend with lots of people who come to be a part of a play and of course, eat delicious food.
The food is not the problem, it is the fact that someone gets killed. No surprise there, because that is what happens in this series. No suprise either that there is a large group of suspects, the police is baffled and Jenny has to help them solve the crime.
I love this series because it is like reading a big puzzle; you are given all clues, th
Kathy
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book from Faith Martin was tried and enjoyed. It is not great literature, just a quick and easy murder mystery read featuring a traveling cook, Jenny Starling. I will most likely try another of these in the near future, as it is simple and fun stuff with appealing young woman who apparently thinks more clearly than the police at times.
Where does the author find the time to produce so many murder mysteries? This was my first Jenny Starling and was centered in The Cotswolds.

Kindle Unlimited
Bridget
Over recent months I've become a great fan of Faith Martin so, when I saw this seventh book in her wonderful series featuring Jenny Starling being launched, I knew I had to read 'The Country Inn Mystery'. Also, it has a culinary theme which I love and a little light humour. The first three books - The Birthday Mystery, The Winter Mystery and The Riverboat Mystery were all so good, I knew it was likely that Faith Martin had written a winner with this book, too, and I was right!

Best-seller author
Laurie
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traveling cook Jenny Starling is currently filling in for a friend at the Spindlewood Inn where the owners are hosting a “Regency Extravaganza” weekend. Jenny is there to cook an authentic Georgian menu, for guests in historical costume who are there to enjoy the amateur dramatics put on for the occasion. The script calls for the lead actress to do a death scene, but someone decides it’s the perfect way to cover-up her murder. With an inn fully booked with suspects, the police are happy to have ...more
Blaine DeSantis
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tanis Blount
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was adequate. The review I had read previously had compared the author to Dame Christie. The writing compares in genre alone.
Vanessa
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-x, xx
The Country Inn Mystery by Faith Martin is the seventh book in her Jenny Starling, traveling cook series. I have loved reading this book again......If you love a this cosy mystery this is the series for you. Plus, a great holiday read.
One thing I just love about Faith's books is they can be read as a stand alone book........they're a quick and easy read hence why I called them a cosy mystery book. I open my kindle and just become the book.......Faith has a way of doing this.
I remember reading
Ppcfransen
The Country Inn Mystery is part of the Jenny Starling Series. Most books in this series have previously been published under the penname Joyce Cato as part of the Travelling Cook Mystery Series. This title had not been previously published, but reading through the reviews of other books in this series I see gripes that bothered me in this book too. So either Faith Martin decided to continue writing in style for the series, or this story was written as part of the original run, but shelved.

Jenny
Alyson Read
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book number seven in the very popular series featuring travelling cook and amateur sleuth Jenny Starling, and is previously unpublished. Jenny is in her late twenties and stands around 6 feet 1 inch tall. With her blue eyes and shoulder length black hair she has a curvy figure and a startling effect on many of the men she meets. Jenny's overwhelming mission in life is to feed people, in fact food comes above anything else in her eyes. Unfortunately in her travels as a cook-for-hire she h ...more
Jann Barber
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Joffe Books and Net Galley for the ARC of this book. It is the seventh book in the Jenny Starling mystery series, and I will definitely be going back to read the previous books!

Jenny Starling is impressive in many ways. She stands over six feet tall and is a modern woman. She drives a cherry red van and works as a traveling cook. This, of course, throws her into various situations where murders inevitably occur.

She is filling in for her vacationing friend who works at The S
Renee
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2019
Faith Martin has written The Country Inn Mystery, the seventh book in her Jenny Starling, traveling cook series. Once again, Jenny has been hired for a temporary assignment, covering the kitchen at the Spindlewood Inn, owned by Richard and Muriel Sparkey, while her friend(Patsy Vine) is on holiday. Patsy takes her annual time off at the end of the summer busy season,but since the Sparkey's are hosting a 'Regency Extravaganza' weekend, the inn is booked, and Jenny will be busy cooking her 'delici ...more
Rekha
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing and the story development reminded me of the first book in this series - The Birthday Mystery. Until the first 25% of the story, there is no crime. But somewhere deep in her mind, Jenny knows that something is going to happen but she cannot really say when or where.

Jenny's love for cooking is well described in the first half of the story. The delicious food that she prepares makes everybody happy. But once Rachel is found dead, Jenny's attention is diverted and she wants to solve the
Sandra
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Country Inn Mystery by Faith Martin is well presented cozy mystery at its best.

Although a seventh book in the series, which somehow escaped my notice when I requested the book, I had absolutely no trouble to follow the story as it can be perfectly read as a standalone.

I didn't mind the fact that murder happened at the end of the first third of the book. I quite enjoyed getting to know the participants, and learning quite a lot about Regency cuisine.
It has that old fashioned murder mystery f
Jane Hunt
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jenny is providing holiday relief for a friend at a Country Inn in the Cotswolds, the highlight of her visit is a Regency Extravaganza, where a select few from the local amateur dramatics society will be acting out a piece of local Regency scandal with a tragic end.

The clues for this one start early on, but are so well hidden that you don’t realise their significance until the end. There is slightly less emphasis on the cooking side of things, in this first time published Jenny Starling mystery.
Hillary T
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice predictable mysteries

After reading all the books in both this series and the Hillary Greene series, I’ve made some observations. While I did enjoy all of the books, there were some things that bothered me. The author tends to repeat herself so often that I found myself skipping through paragraphs in each book. There are dozens of other ways to describe someone’s figure without using the exact same terms- Junoesque, for Jenny Starling. In almost every single book in both series’, someone end
Veronica Barton
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Traveling cook Jenny Starling fills in for her friend and fellow chef at the Spindlewood Inn featured in Author Faith Martin's latest whodunit, The Country Inn Mystery. It's the inn's 'Regency Extravaganza' weekend--filled with actors, fans and fabulous food! As the guests arrive, Chef Jenny soon realizes that the peaceful country-side setting is brimming with scandalous undertones.

Local drama and historical group, The Caulcott Deeping Players, are at the inn to perform a re-enactment of a scand
Joanna Larum
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the seventh in the Jenny Starling mysteries but it would work perfectly as a stand alone. This time, Jenny is cooking in a country inn, taking the place of a friend of hers who is on holiday. A nice place, the old-fashioned inn is a pleasant place to work with the added bonus of a Regency Extravaganza, giving Jenny the opportunity to cook something a little different. On the last day of the weekend, the local amateur dramatic group are putting on a play about a local family, where a you ...more
Robin Leslie Coxon
Faith Martin's 7th book centering around her character Jenny Starling, the travelling cook and amateur detective, continues the wonderful journey. Jenny has been hired to substitute for her friend, Patsy, who is taking a Holiday. What can happen in a weekend while being the cook at the Spindelwood Inn during their Regency Extravaganza. The Inn host and hostess are presenting a drama performed by the Amateur Dramatic Society.
Ms. Martin once again has developed her characters for their roles and
Kerry Britnell
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Faith Martin proves she has the perfect recipe for a good old fashioned murder mystery.
Jenny Starling finds herself once again reluctantly thrust into the middle of a puzzling murder enquiry when a renaissance reenactment weekend takes a deadly turn.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and find Faith Martin's unpretentious style refreshingly easy to read. The plot kept you guessing throughout and although I had figured out 'who done it' uncovering the how at the end was well done.
Highly rec
Jan
Impossible for me to do an unbiased review on a Jenny Starling book! Each is excellent and easily stands alone.
Traveling cook Jenny Starling agreed to take over for her friend who is going on a two week vacation. The job is at a lovely Inn in the Cotswolds which is hosting a production by a troupe of amateur thespians. Easy to figure out who the victim will be, but the plot takes some interesting twists and tosses in not a few red herrings. Another fun read!
I requested and received a free eboo
Jeanette
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How i love to read a book that is based here in the UK! This is the first book that i have actually read by Faith Martin and wonder why i haven't read more. A very enjoyable story and one that i managed to read within a day. I believe i have a few other books by this author and shall be searching them out. Recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review, freely given.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Oxford Mystery (Jenny Starling, #5)
  • The Castle Mystery (Jenny Starling, #4)
  • The Riverboat Mystery (Jenny Starling, #3)
  • The Winter Mystery (Jenny Starling, #2)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • The Manor House Murder (Monica Noble #3)
  • The Birthday Mystery (Jenny Starling, #1)
  • The Lying Game
  • Murder by the Sea (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #14)
  • Silent Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #8)
  • Dead of Night
  • Death on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery #6)
  • A Fox Hunting Murder (Inspector John Crow #7)
  • Murder at the Manor Hotel (Melissa Craig #4)
  • Murder on the Clifftops (Melissa Craig, #3)
  • Murder on a Winter Afternoon (Melissa Craig, #5)
  • Murder in Cold Mud (Churchill & Pemberley #2)
Faith Martin is a pen name of English author Jacquie Walton, who is best known for her popular detective series, starring Detective Inspector Hillary Greene.

As Joyce Cato, she writes more classically-inspired 'cosy' murder mysteries. As Maxine Barry, her latest romance novels are now available from Corazon Books. As Jessie Daniels, her 'spooky' crime novel, The Lavender Lady Casefile came out

Jenny Starling (7 books)
  • The Birthday Mystery (Jenny Starling, #1)
  • The Winter Mystery (Jenny Starling, #2)
  • The Riverboat Mystery (Jenny Starling, #3)
  • The Castle Mystery (Jenny Starling, #4)
  • The Oxford Mystery (Jenny Starling, #5)
  • The Teatime Mystery (Jenny Starling, #6)