Start by marking “Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time” as Want to Read:
Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time

Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A new generation of observatories, now being completed worldwide, will give astronomers not just a new window on the cosmos but a whole new sense with which to explore and experience the heavens above us. Instead of collecting light waves or radio waves, these novel instruments will allow astronomers to at last place their hands upon the fabric of space-time and feel the v ...more
Published October 3rd 2000 by National Academy Press (first published February 4th 2000)

John Gribbin
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply the best book about the history of the long search for gravitational waves. This edition appeared before such radiation was actually discovered, but puts everything in perspective -- and an updated edition is coming soon.
Mark Reynolds
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was skeptical, because while there are many popular books on physics and astronomy, not very many of them are well written. This one is. There are not too many of the "hyped-up" sentences that makes physicists sound like wizards. I just ignored those sentences. Most of the book is a down-to-earth history of gravitation wave research, mostly experimental, and the prospects for detection. Of course, now LIGO has detected two events, but even so, this early history is interesting.

For the
Drake Tungsten
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Good background on the study of gravity and the related technology/facilities (such as LIGO). This book came out before any gravity waves were actually detected, so it's nice to see that in the last few years that the search has born fruit.
Edward
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The Prelude and First chapter cover the basics quickly which is merciful for the reader familiar with the concepts but reinforces the important geometrical ideas concerning space-time. The major focus of this work is on the development of gravity wave detectors and the personalities involved. The astronomical sources of gravity waves, such as binary neutron stars and black holes, are covered to a lesser extent but it's not till late in the book that you begin to understand the relationship betwe ...more
Colette
Apr 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: nonfiction, science
I read this back when it first came out about 15 or 16 years ago. It is one that I have thought about over and over through the years. I no longer remember what captured my interest and imagination, but I do remember earnestly hoping these scientists would find what they were looking for. I'm glad they finally have. The writing has stayed with me.
Converse
The main reason I didn't give this book on astrophysics a higher rating is that the main topic, gravity waves, haven't been observed yet (also checked LIGO website, the site for those working on this topic) so book has hypothetical quality. Also left me with questions about the science. Otherwise well-written
Ashish Jaituni
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is a wonderful book. Very well written. It tells the story of search for Gravitational waves till today. Prof. Bartusiak is a very good writer, much better than many scientists who write books on popular science.
Eric
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like science
The title is cool but the author tries to hard to continue using the music metaphor throughout the book. Also, I think it's too long. It was interesting for like 2/3 of it but she really stretches things out for no reason.
Liam Day
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it somewhat repetitive toward the end and the chapters on current interferometrical efforts to detect gravity waves not nearly as interesting as the history leading up to them, but that history is among the best histories of the science of gravity I have ever read.
Steve
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
As are her other books, this well written. However, I found it dragged a bit after she covered the basics of gravity wave physics. Tough when you pick a topic that is still in the realm of theoretical.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Gödel And Einstein
  • The Ingenuity Gap: Can We Solve the Problems of the Future?
  • Defining the Wind
  • Four Colors Suffice: How the Map Problem Was Solved
  • The Discoveries: Great Breakthroughs in 20th-Century Science, Including the Original Papers
  • The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor
  • They All Laughed...: From Light Bulbs to Lasers: The Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions
  • Impossibility: The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits
  • In Search of the Big Bang
  • The Genie in the Bottle: 67 All-New Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life
  • Emilie Du Chatelet: Daring Genius of the Enlightenment
  • The Calculus Gallery: Masterpieces from Newton to Lebesgue
  • The Future of Spacetime
  • Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System
  • Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
  • Ada, the Enchantress of Numbers: A Selection from the Letters of Lord Byron's Daughter and Her Description of the First Computer
Combining her skills as a journalist with an advanced degree in physics, Marcia Bartusiak (pronounced MAR-sha Bar-TOO-shack) has been covering the fields of astronomy and physics for three decades. Currently, she is a visiting professor with the Graduate Program in Science Writing at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Bartusiak is the author of Thursday's Universe, a layman's guide to the ...more
More about Marcia Bartusiak...