Start by marking “In A Mirror (The Brittany & Charli Series #1)” as Want to Read:
In A Mirror (The Brittany & Charli Series #1)

In A Mirror

(The Brittany & Charli Series #1)

Brittany & Charli Matthews are identical twins and polar opposites. Brittany is a cheerleader trying to impress the Queen Bee and date the mysterious new guy. Charli is a studious skatergirl and wary of her boyfriend and the influence of his rowdy friends.

When their parents' marriage falls apart and their father returns after going AWOL for months, will the twins adapt to
Published November 12th 2019 by Halo & Claws Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In A Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In A Mirror

Start your review of In A Mirror (The Brittany & Charli Series #1)
Greg Watson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a Mirror by Emily Bourne is a well-crafted and believable novel in a high school setting. Whether those years are a recent memory or (like me) you are chronologically-advantaged, you will find the book to be a thoroughly enjoyable read.

A social hierarchy is very much in evidence at the high school depicted in Emily's novel. Placement (or displacement) in the lunchroom determines a student's place within the school's popularity structure.

In the story, students also face peer-pressures related
Becca Smith
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of ‘In a Mirror’ and I was seriously blown away. The book is full of so many layers from the relationships between the characters to the plot itself. I was hooked from page one and read the book in a couple of days (which is so rare for me! It usually takes me a couple of weeks to get through a book).

One of the things I loved the most about ‘In a Mirror’ (without spoilers, of course) is the way Emily Bourne was able to make each twin girl distinct. Often times w
Emily Bourne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
So obviously I find this book a 5 star... I wrote it.

Why would this book be for you? Do family relationships interest you? Are you more interested the more complicated those relationships become? Do you like history between your characters and diving into the lives of the secondary characters? Do you like drama, and OTT drah-mah? Do you find emotional conflict engrossing and want to cry, laugh, swoon and be angry at the one book? Do you love sweet high school romance that at an instant can turn
Dahlia Burroughs
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“We look across at each other like reflections in a mirror.”

I was given an ebook of In A Mirror from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Young adults have it tough; deadlines are looming, they have to navigate social hierarchies, and, to top it off, they also have to find their place in the world. We tend to forget the trouble we went through at the same age because our lives have become hectic with jobs, family, financial difficulties, etc., but do you remember when you were in your mid
Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
This was absolutely not my cup of tea. I wanted to DNF, but I pushed through because I had heard there was tremendous character growth. While there was some growth, it wasn't enough to redeem all of the negative feelings that I had towards the characters.
Joel Barkus
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated this book! It reminded me of a few other (now) classic Aussie novels which I read when I was in High School; books that I still love to this day.

Let me start this review by stating that this is not my genre of choice. I came about this book via AuthorTube and becoming a fan of this book's author. When I saw that she was looking for Beta-Readers, I reached out to show my support to a fellow Aussie writer - a decision I'm glad I made.

Three things I really like about this book
Lauren Clark
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best way to describe this book, is like looking into a mirror, and watching it SMASH everywhere, and having to pick up all the pieces in an emotional, rollercoaster, type of way.
Brittany & Charli were so relatable that sometimes I had to pause to remind myself that no, I wasn't reading my teenage diary.
So many funny moments, so many heart breaking moments.
Emily captures sisterhood and friendship so well.
This is the sort of book you want to read on a beach, drinking a nice cocktail.
Or the
Joey Paul
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up as pre-order and have been dying to read it. The story was engaging from page one and I adored all the characters, though I did love Charli more than Brittany, both girls were so different from each other, and it was the kind of book you pick up and then never want to put it down. I was desperate to know what happened, and overall it was a definite 5 star read. Highly recommended and can't wait for the sequel and more books from this author!
Diane
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This book sucked me in from the beginning. Brittany and Charli are such distinct people while still sharing the bond of being twins. The struggles they deal with, both in school and out, from cliques to dysfunctional parents, to dating. Bourne does not shy away from some of the darker issues that can come up in adolescence either, and she treats them with the seriousness and complexity they deserve.
Bug
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! I don't read a lot of contemporary or coming-of-age stories, but I'll definitely be continuing with this series as soon as they come out, I felt like I just couldn't get enough and I can't wait to see what comes next! I sped through the book and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

The plot was really interesting, the writing style was both cozy and funny, and I loved the Australian atmosphere. Every aspect of this book felt so well-crafted and was so enjoyabl
Zoe Webb
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I do not read YA contemporary, but I am so glad I read In a Mirror. Emily has done so much for me and my writing career through her Youtube channel, so I initially bought In a Mirror to support her, and I am so glad I did!
The character voices for both Brittany and Charli are awesome. Especially in Brittany's chapters, I swear I could hear the Australian accent. It was also really interesting how different Brittany and Charli's voices are. Brittany's chapters seem a bit more informal and she tend
Jessica Williamson
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Full disclosure - Emily is a friend.

This book definitely delivered on what it promised. It is a dramatic beachy teen read.

I have some conflicting views here so let's go over what worked for me and what didn't.

What worked - The growth of the two female leads. Both girls are exponentially different people than what they were in the beginning and throughout the book. I think they both learned from the experiences they lived through.

The teenage drama was super realistic. And their lives
Moon Petrie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a Mirror strikes a remarkable balance between a light, fun, beachy high-school drama and a gut-wrenching and realistic portrayal of the struggles young women face as they approach adulthood. Each aspect serves as a counterpoint to the other, just as the perspectives of the twin narrators, Brittany and Charli, bring balance to the story. The two sisters, and indeed all the characters in the book, are extremely human: flawed, lovable, and complex, sometimes behaving unforgivably, but always eli ...more
Norwegian_Writer
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-lesninger
I'm going to start this review by saying that I probably haven't read non-fantasy/sci-fi book in years, so I went into this thinking I would probably like the story, but that the book wouldn't be for me. And, for the most part, I was proven wrong.
I loved this book, it was interesting from start to finish, heartwarming, heartbreaking, funny and raw. All the emotions were there, and delivered in a good, natural way. But, there is also a lot of drama in this book, specifically teen girl drama, whi
T.B. Caine
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m biased because I know the author and we are friends so yeah I thought I’d just put my disclaimer there.

I really liked this book even though it is more of a contemporary read than what I’m used to.

It is VERY accurate to the experience of high school like so much so I could feel my gut clench during certain scenes. It is so accurate that I was actually surprised at the accuracy if that makes sense. (It is accurate so there is a bit of ED, body shape talk, racism, etc. It all is part of the p
Bridie Blake
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily Bourne’s debut is a rollercoaster ride of teen drama and angst and I am here for it! Twins Brittany and Charli each bring a different voice to the story and you feel for the two girls as they struggle to find their place at school and in life. They each face different pressures and handle them in their own, very realistic way. One of the things I loved about this book, was the realistic way in which the characters, not just the two MC’s, but all characters behave, talk and react to what is ...more
Angela Anne
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of beta reading this book and receiving an arc in exchange for an honest review. In a Mirror is a page turning, fun contemporary with tons of romance, drama, and Australian vibes. Seriously—the Australian vibes in this book are adorable and it’s refreshing change of setting. Brittany and Charli are both relatable characters struggling with everyday problems that bring me back to high school. I especially loved how my opinions of characters changed as they developed and grew th ...more
Isabella Lynnwood
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and I think Emily Bourne did an amazing job of capturing the high school experience. Luckily for me, social media bullying was something that didn't affect anyone I knew.

In a mirror reminds me of all the reasons I am glad I no longer attend high school but seeing things from the teen twin protagonists, Brittney and Charli, made me feel like a teen again. I can't wait for In a Haze to see where Britney and Charli find themselves next.

I am trying to keep this spoiler free but I
Jasmine
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book! The characters were so well written and relatable. I really felt everything that Brittany and Charli were going through because they are written in a way that makes readers care about them. I was invested in their journeys- when they laughed, I laughed. When their hearts hurt, mine hurt. This story kept me on edge, and I just had to keep reading until I reached the end. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves coming of age stories with romance and drama. ...more
Timi V
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this book, at the beginning it was a little slow because I couldn't bond with Brittany but from the second chapter, meeting Charli made this book one of my fav ones, now I love both girls, but my fav is Charli, I resonate with her more.

Emily's writing style is amazing, she shows perfectly what's going on and feelings and thoughts the girls have regarding the given matter. I don't like YA as much as I did a few years ago, but this book hooked me and I enjoy it so much.

I recommen
Anthezar Anthezar
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The characters are amazing in this story! They had depth and were more complex than what they appeared to be much of the time. Everyone had history. The story is written in the 1st person from the point of views of twin sisters, Brittany and Charli. I’m generally hesitant with multiple views in that style, but Emily Bourne NAILED it. SUPER nailed it! The sisters truly felt like individuals. It was so well written.

If you’re looking for a fun read, then I would recommend this book. I enjoyed it an
Katie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this book, it transported me back to high school for good or bad. Brittany is 9th grade me, and Charli is 10th grade me. I related to them so much, as well as the side characters as they fought between staying true to themselves and trying to fit in with their friends. I love the development between the sisters and the arcs they went through. I can't wait to read the next one!
Stephanie McKaskle
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend
Autumn
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

A great escape from the real world. Just the kind of easy read I needed.
Looking forward for the next one!
Kimberly
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a good teen and young adult romance read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable rollercoaster ride of emotions romance read.

Jeanne Richardson
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book I've read written by Emily Bourne; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

Maja
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read from this author. This is the first book. The story is about two identical twins Charlie and Brittany. Dual, first person, point of view, which I always love.
It was a good story and I will follow the rest in the series.

Shay
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brittney and Charli give you quite the roller-coaster of emotions and drama for sure. This book was very naive for my taste, and I really just couldn't get into the book. Thought it was more NA but it's really just reliving high school over again, and I DO NOT by any means want to do that.

Justen Perkins
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great read on love and heart break to new beginnings. Learning to be yourself in the middle of high school.
Geri
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had my emotions in a twist. I loved reading the perspective of each twin and they felt so real and unique. I didn’t need their names at the top of the chapters because their voices were so strong. This book made me laugh, cry and done plot twists I never saw coming. I needed to read the sequel immediately after.

• Song of the Dryad
  • She's Not Here
  • Dirty Psychopath
  • Our Darkest Path (Our Darkest #2)
  • Water Baby
  • Virtue (Briarcliff Secret Society Series Book 2)
  • Yours
  • The Christmas Bell: A Horror Novel
  • Revenge (The Princes of Powell #1)
  • Set In Stone (The Stone Series #3)
  • Savage Christmas
  • Pitch Black (The Boyne Club, #4)
  • Lay Me Bare (Lay Me Bare, #1)
  • All the Broken Things (Lynn's Story #2)
  • An Explicit BDSM Story – Sorority Rush Week Part Two
  • An Explicit BDSM Story – Sorority Rush Week Part Three
  • An Explicit BDSM Story – Sorority Rush Week Part One
  • Crushed: A Dark Billionaire Romance (The Dahlia District, #3)
Emily Bourne is an author from central west NSW, meaning she’s an Aussie Country girl at heart. Emily writes books about self-discovery and finding love. Believing, you can’t have a romantic relationship that works until you truly love yourself. She specialises in teen and young adult novels about social issues, layered with romantic suspense. Emily’s books can have you laughing-out-loud, reaching ...more