Start by marking “'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem” as Want to Read:
'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem

'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem

‘Twas an evening in Bethlehem and all through the day
Many guests were arriving from far, far away...

The inn is full, but when a young, expectant couple arrives, the innkeeper cannot turn them away. Follow this beloved tale through the eyes of the innkeeper’s young daughter as she witnesses the glorious surprises of that very first Christmas and rediscover anew the gift of
Published October 1st 2019 by Stormcave

To ask other readers questions about 'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem, please sign up.
Jenelle Thank you for your interest! As soon as I have approved the final proof copy in hardcover, I will be creating an "early order form" for any who would …moreThank you for your interest! As soon as I have approved the final proof copy in hardcover, I will be creating an "early order form" for any who would like to pre-order their copies and get them on or before October 1st! Keep an eye out for that over on my author facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JenelleLeann...(less)

Start your review of 'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem
Savannah Jezowski
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This little picture book is a inspired by the popular, secular poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. However, this little tale doesn't follow the adventures of someone waiting for Santa Claus, but rather someone waiting for the birth of the little baby who would one day save the world.

It's utterly beautiful. The poem itself is rich and compelling and flows easily off the tongue. The illustrations are simply breath-taking and blend perfectly with the style of writing for the story. I can't recom
Kyle
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a parent, but even so, I know it’s difficult to find children’s books for Christian families that aren’t overly preachy or deficient in quality. ‘Twas an Evening in Bethlehem shatters that mold to deliver a beautifully-written and illustrated book that is perfect for your Christmas season. The heartwarming verses written by Jenelle Schmidt and the lovely artwork of Sierra Klein are both top-notch. You’re sure to make many treasured memories reading this title with your children during th ...more
Morgan
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a new Christmas book (and even if you're not), this is a beautiful retelling of the true story of Christmas. It's written in verse, much like The Night Before Christmas, but it's all about what Christmas is really about. The illustrations are beautiful and wonderfully painted. I highly recommend it.
Ashlee Willis
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A timeless story told within a soft, lilting rhythm that readers will both recognize and enjoy. A unique view of the truest meaning of Christmas, accompanied by dreamlike illustrations in sweet earthy colors that give a sense of hushed reverence. Recommend this book to any and all ages!
Moriah Jane
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Gorgeous, lyrical prose! I highly enjoyed the fresh perspective of the birth of Jesus from the view of the inn keeper's son! Fantastic new read for Christmas.
Nancy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, Imaginative Retelling of a Historical Event
I really enjoy reading aloud the poem-text of this book and let the words roll off my tongue, especially the list of the shepherds' names. I love the soft, earthy tones of the paintings and how their simplicity draws me into the story, leaving the details to my imagination. I especially like how a piece of the "big picture"on the left side page is inserted behind the text on the right side page.
I purchased a copy for my 92-year old mother an
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The child of an innkeeper in Bethlehem shows Mary and Joseph to the stable, bringing them some blankets and cleaning out the animals' trough to be used as the manger for the baby. In the middle of the night, the child hears a baby crying and sneaks out to the stable to visit the Christ-child. Angels are singing in the heavens, a bright star shines over the stable, and local shepherds come to worship. The child is proud to be a part of the miracle of Jesus' birth, and keeps the King close in thei ...more
J.L. Mbewe
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on a fun Christmas poem, 'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem shares about that special evening when Jesus was born through the eyes of a child whose father works in the Inn that had no room for Joseph and the very pregnant Mary.

The illustrations were lovely and paired nicely with the text. The author did a wonderful job writing and keeping with the rhythm and rhyme of the traditional poem, I especially thought it clever when it came to naming the shepherds who came to visit. I read it ou
Tara Savanna
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the idea of Jesus’ birth as seen through a child’s eyes! This book shows the true meaning of Christmas with whimsical rhymes and lovely artwork and would be a great addition to anyone's Christmas book collection. I would recommend it to anyone with a child of eight or younger, but honestly, I enjoyed reading it as well!

I received a complimentary copy from the author. I was not obligated to leave a positive review and all thoughts and opinions are mine alone.
Leslie McNamara
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Such a sweet version of an old favorite. Had to get a copy for each of the grandchildren. I know they will cherish reading this every Christmas.
Nadine Keels
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Through the eyes of an innkeeper's daughter, the story of the Nativity comes gently to life to the cadence of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas in 'Twas an Evening in Bethlehem by author Jenelle Leanne Schmidt, illustrated by Sierra Klein.

Simply and beautifully told, this story is, with muted and lovely artwork. It reminded me of the power of picture books while leaving me with the full glow of Christmas. While I enjoyed the Kindle edition by myself, I'd recommend getting the hardback edition to
C.O. Bonham
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the traditional Christmas poem, twas the night before Christmas.

This adorable picture book takes the Rhyme and meter of that poem and uses them to retell the story of the Nativity.

The pictures are sweet and compliment the story perfectly.

This little book is sure to become a Christmas tradition for many years to come.
Ally Morcom
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, simple story with gorgeous illustrations and an ethereal style throughout. A neat twist on the Night Before Christmas that I think will probably become a classic in our house.
Kristen
Dec 25, 2019
Debbie
Sep 07, 2020
Jenelle
Aug 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Stefeni
H.S. Skinner
Sep 25, 2019
Maida Korte
Nov 07, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please add these books to my author profile 3 216 Aug 22, 2019 06:51AM

• The Midnight Show
  • Met By Midnight
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • The Rose and the Wand
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia #2)
  • Gruff (Once Upon a Western #1.7)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight for a Curse
  • The Dancing Princess (A Twist of Adventure, #5)
  • Of Myth and Monster
  • Shadow Light: A Short Fairy Tale
  • Nyssa Glass and the Caper Crisis (Nyssa Glass #0.5)
  • Redeemed
  • Freeze Thaw: Flurries & Phantoms
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Mercury on Guard (Mercury Hale Book 1)
  • As Far Away As Possible
  • A Gown of Spider Silk (Once Upon a Short Story, #2)
During the days, I wrangle four small hobbits and help them along on their adventures.

Basically, I'm Gandalf.

But come evenings, when the hobbits are sleeping... I become my alter-ego: PLOT WIZARD (still a wizard, just a different kind)... and adventures await in the pages I scribble upon.

I write fantasy, fairy tale retellings, hints of steampunk, and I have epic plans for a hybrid science fiction/

News & Interviews