Start by marking “Love Bites” as Want to Read:

(Love Bites #1)

Angela likes Chloe. Chloe likes Angela. It should be simple enough - there's just the small matter of Angela's aversion to sunlight. And crosses. And mirrors . . .

In 1998, Angela was a smart, gothy astronomy student ­- until her then-girlfriend accidentally turned her into a vampire. A year later, she divides her time between her post-graduate degree (working on it in a da
Published July 9th 2020 by Jo Fletcher Books

To ask other readers questions about Love Bites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Bites

Start your review of Love Bites
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
Wait, are you telling me that this is an LGBT+ vampire novel set in the 1990s???????????

:F
fanna
Apr 16, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
May 28, 2020: I've just been enlightened that Ry, the author, is gender-queer so my previous assumption and worry around the romance is lowered. Definitely excited to read this!

April 18, 2020: Ahem, I might be a little skeptical about a male author writing a f/f romance but thank you, Quercus Books, for the digital review copy via Netgalley.

April 16, 2020: Are we talking about queers, vampires, and mental health rep all while finding love? Sure, I'll pun intended take a bite of this.
Aoife
I received this book from Jo Fletcher Books in exchange for an honest review.

It's 1999, and Angela is still trying to get used to life as a vampire since being turned a year earlier - and figuring out which ways Buffy the Vampire Slayer got it right, and where it got it really wrong. When Angela meets Chloe, there's a connection but can she really date someone when she sleeps all day, never ages, has super strength and flashes fangs every time they make out?

This was, to say it simple, a really e
Bookphenomena (Micky)
DNF at 15% unrated

I stopped at 5%, then 10%, then 12%, managed to get to 15% and I just couldn't push anymore. It was confusing, uninteresting to me from a writing style perspective and I didn't connect with these particular characters. I loved the blurb but for some reason, I just could not get into it.
Kevin Hogan
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This paranormal romance is thoughtful and disturbing in some places, and funny in others. The characters and their voices are so strong and consistent.

Bonus points for the characters doing stupid things *in character* so that even though you see the mistakes coming, you understand why, and sigh, and say "oh honey, no" to the character.

Ry Herman
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It is possible that I might be biased. But I honestly do like the book.
Theresa Derwin
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Author: Ry Herman
Publisher: Jo Fletcher Books
Page count: 384pp
Release date: 9th July 2020.

Angela was dead to begin with.
Please indulge my deliberate misquote of Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' there, but I can find no better way to indicate the state of the first main protagonist.
This fun, well-written LGBTQ Vampire romantic comedy, starts in 1998, Scottsdale, Arizona, with Angela awakening mid rigor mortis and rather discombobulated.
As Angela spends three nights, as per vampire lore, co
Hannah
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise but a bit of a mess. The romance doesn't spark, and there are a lot of weird plot threads that don't get tied up or that are weirdly jammed in there - like Chloe's weird roommate, or the revelation about Chloe's heritage. ...more
Lisa
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
[b]CONTENT NOTE: This review discusses issues of physical and emotional abuse, depression, and anxiety as presented in the book, as well as a date rape allegory used in the book.[/b]

Judging by that back cover copy, this book sounds exactly the way it was pitched to me, as a “tender and unforgettable … feel good queer romance with a surprising paranormal twist” (as per the promo email I received). And it is indeed all of those things, though not quite in the manner I had anticipated.

Don’t worry,
Amy Williams
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review of Love Bites by Ry Herman: NO SPOILERS ;)

OK, yes. So it's a Lesbian Vampire book--which is a fun lure, for sure. However, it really is a lot more "layered" than you might think!

Yes, there are at least two very well-written love scenes, and they are that--it's written in a sweet, sensitive tone that honors the characters and does not debase them. They are perfect for someone who knows what that's like, I imagine, but also for someone who does not, and is curious.

There is some necessary "
Daniel
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely well written: characters that were gripping, relatable, and entirely believable, it builds to the very end, and you can't help but root for Chloe and Angela. You will like this if you like fantasy, or romance, or even science fiction. It is definitely not the usual vampire novel, or monster novel, or angel novel, or supernatural romance novel, or anything else you want to characterize it as. It is absolutely not an Irish potato famine musical novel, but it does make you wonder what one ...more
David Harris
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Jo Fletcher books for an advance e-copy of Love Bites via NetGalley.

CW: Love Bites, and so this review, includes themes of physical and emotional abuse and also suicide.
Love Bites is an absorbing, modern romance novel that just happens to concern a vampire. In events set in and around Boston leading up to Christmas 1999 we see Chloë and Angela struggle with their pasts, with the ways they've been hurt, to imagine a future together.

Graduate astrophysics student Angela has escaped
Cat Spearey
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy, kindle, arc
This is a debut novel which I was drawn to by the cover in all honesty plus, vampires!

So firstly, my favourite character was the cat, Entropy. Loved that it was crazy and opened drawers to empty them. Secondly, the main characters themselves were really interesting. Throughout the book, Angela and Chloe faced their mental health issues left from previous relationships and I think this was handled really well to be honest. Herman tackled anxiety and depression without being condescending, includi
Grace Brownlie
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love Bites is a fantastic novel, for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, it is quite simply a highly enjoyable read that incorporates clever metaphors, a gripping story line, and plot twists that I would challenge anyone to predict! Secondly, it manages to address the very serious and complicated issue of psychological / emotional abuse in a completely original way, and with just the right combination of insight, emotional charge, and dark humour. And on the subject of humour, I laughed out loud on ...more
Evelyn Katz
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re asking yourself if you really need to read another vampire book, the answer is yes! Yes you really do need to read Love Bites. Ry Herman infuses this story of vampires with humor, heart and insights on love, the mystery of attraction and the challenges of relationships. It’s also a story of recovering from an abusive relationship, learning to trust and to forgive yourself. All of this, packed into a wisely written, perfectly paced book with characters you’ll care about even after the s ...more
Sara Thompson
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really fun FF romance that had beautiful writing, three-dimensional characters, and a really satisfying ending. Not to mention a very decent sex scene! I'm not normally a reader of vampire things, but this one was definitely worth my time. The awkwardness! OMG. That has been me every time a pretty girl talks to me. Lol. He totally nailed that. Just a really fun and lovely book that took me an afternoon to read. ...more
Rachel Broadwin
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book draws you in. I do not usually gravitate toward this genre, but I found I wanted to keep reading.
Katelyn Allers
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The characters in this book are very strongly developed. I loved the nerdy nods to the mythology and folklore of the supernatural. And the astronomy as described in the book is A+++.
Armarna Forbes
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great f/f romance that has wit and charm and all the warm-fuzzies, but also knits in fantasy expertly. The characters are multi-layered and complex, and Ry Herman's writing style is amazing throughout.

You'll find yourself really pulling for Angela and Chloe (and it helps that you fall in love with them along the way, too). Highly recommended!
Annarella
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First thing first: this is a gripping and entertaining read even if it's a bit slow at the start.
It's an unusual and sweet paranormal romance but it's also a story that talks about abuse, health mental issues and accepting oneself.
It's an LGBT love story but it's also about accepting the other with all the emotional baggage and trying to make think work.
Chloe has to accept that there's an entire paranormal world and her own acceptance, Angela has to understand her new self and what it means.
The
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant read! It is a slow start, but stick with it, as the author is just laying the groundwork and letting you get to know the girls. With such a deeply emotional, yet funny read, you need to know the mains before it can all kick off.

Once you are in, this book really draws you in. It takes the time to address some very deep and important issues, but never throws them in your face, and truly does the, in a light but realistic approach.

The flow of the story was excellent and the cha
Chloé
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa
(Thank you to the publisher Jo Fletcher Books, via NetGalley, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

The vampire renaissance is here, and I for one am welcoming it with open arms. Especially the queer vampire side of it. So offer me two women falling in love, and one of them is a vampire, and I will take the idea and run off with it like a dragon hoarding sapphic books.

Before delving into the novel, I expected something of rom-com magnitudes; it definitely fa
Jillian Courtney
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a self aware, clever story of second love- the one after the one that broke you. This story treads the line of what is imaginary and what is real in a way that I ind exciting and enticing. It's a page turner!
Serena Coleman
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel, with it's intelligent & interesting women as the central characters.
This is not quite as light hearted a read as you might expect from the marketing, but that is not a criticism from my perspective. I was pleasantly surprised at the different approach to a vampire novel, with a gentle treatment of F/F romance, but with a nod to some of the tropes of predatory lesbian vampires.

Chloe is still struggling with depression and writers block two years after divorce. Angel
Shannon (ridiculusreads)
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Love Bites follows two characters struggling with their lives in very different ways. While both are dealing with bad break ups, Chloë is dealing with mental health (TW: suicide is contemplated regularly) and Angela is dealing with, well, being undead!
When their paths cross, they tumble into an unexpected whirlwind romance and they’re both hiding their struggles from the other.
I really like both characters. If you ignore the fact one of them is a vampire, they’re very realistic characters! I do
Stacy Sarling
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love Bites by Ry Herman ***REVIEW***

Meet Angela, a Vampire and Chloe, a seemingly normal human being. Angela is looking for some normality in her life, finishing her degree and trying to survive. Chloe is an anxiety ridden homebody who hides from the outside world and making new friends; she only has a roommate because she can't afford the rent on her own. They meet one night at a nightclub, one of Angela’s uncommon haunts, after Chloe’s aunt randomly turns up and practically pushes her out of t
Rianne
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read! I really thought I didn't like fantasy, and that I read all the popular fantasy books when I was younger because they were popular, but actually, I think I like paranormal novels. So this was right up my alley, being paranormal and queer. I like that Chloe and Angela aren't perfect characters, or perfect partners. While a lot of their conflict stemmed from Angela being a vampire, it still felt like realistic relationship conflict, and if it was replaced with a non-paran ...more
Andover Library
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Its been a while since I read a vampire novel – they seem to have fallen out of fashion slightly. I was delighted to spot this. I like my Vampires with bite and this book certainly delivered that.

It’s always interesting to see which bits of traditional lore urban fantasy authors keep and which they discard. In this case we get a fairly traditional set of Vampire rules – no sunlight, garlic, reflections, permission needed to enter houses, fresh human blood needed to survive.

I enjoyed the slow r
Kerry-louise Jones
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This was a good paranormal romance with queer representation, the characters were well developed and likeable and I was fully invested in seeing where the relationship went. I liked that they both had their own issues but wanted more for each other. I thought it was also a strong novel in raising awareness of mental health issues, it is one of the first books I have read that mentions intrusive thoughts.

I also really enjoyed learning some theories behind constellations and the suits in a deck o
Yarna
I had kind of low expectations going into this book, since it's a vampire book, but I was quite pleasantly surprised. The approach to vampires and the paranormal world is done in such a different style to what we're used to from this genre. I ended up really appreciating the lightness in tone of some parts of the story, while it also grappled with a lot of heavier themes regarding abusive relationships, recovering from them, and what actually makes you a monster.

It's not necessarily a book I wou

• The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Pretty Girls
  • Ghosted
  • The Stranger
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Life and Other Near-Death Experiences
  • Every Note Played
  • How to Stop Time
  • The Confession
  • Inside the O'Briens
  • Humankind: A Hopeful History
  • Grave Secrets (The Lavington Windsor Mysteries #1)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • The Second Life of Nathan Jones
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • I Think I Love You
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
Born in the US, Ry Herman is now a permanent Scottish resident. He has been writing for most of his life, and his debut novel, the queer supernatural romcom Love Bites, was published by Jo Fletcher Books in July of 2020. Ry is bisexual and genderqueer.

Ry has worked at a variety of jobs, including submissions editor, theatre technician, and one job which could best be described as typing the number

Love Bites (2 books)