Start by marking “Out of This World” as Want to Read:
Out of This World

Out of This World

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  802 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Published September 1st 2006 by Brava (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of This World

Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Kiiiinda strange but taken in the context of Jill Shalvis' early works, not a bad effort on her part!
Oct 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
I have no idea where this book was supposed to go but it was... bad. Really bad. If I hadn't been reading Shalvis' Wilder books at the same time as this, I probably would never have picked up another one of her books.

Basically the story left some loose ends dangling, it barely made sense and the main characters were not in any way charming or likable. It's a shame because overall I really like Shalvis' writing. She's usually funny and can keep a tight plot line. If this was my first intro to he
Anna (AnnaReads.com)
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I heart Jill Shalvis but this book was crazypants.
marieno
The story is told at the first person. Both the main characters have chapters with their point of view. It's well written but the «supernatural » side was not my cup of tea. I felt trapped; like in a nightmare. Don't worry, I'm still a fan of Jill Shalvis.
Eva
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
It starts out great. The author has a wonderful way of expressing details, creating vivid, verbal pictures, really tight, good writing. After the first two pages, I was hooked.
Then it went all weird. Suddenly, in what began as an adventure featuring a young, urban artist on her first trip to the backwoods of Alaska to view the B&B she'd just inherited, there were aliens and superpowers and pirates. And pages and pages of torrid sex scenes. And pages and pages about cookies, hungering for th
Bet Lantaff
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This was a really good book for a story that I couldn't figure out. Every time I thought I knew the next turn, I didn't. And then the pirates showed up, which really threw me for a loop. But it all worked out in the end and a pretty good story came out of it. The pros of the book were the comedic scenes, the fleshed out secondary characters and the chemistry between Rachel and Kellan. The cons: the way the story jumped from Rachel's POV to Kellan's POV. I can't say exactly what it was a
Lexie
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Prelim Review: This was okay. I didn't enjoy it as much as Get a Clue or Shalvis' Lucky Harbor books, but this was decent. I suppose like Kellan I had trouble thinking that Rachel would have become lovesick over him if not for the special abilities they both receive. Other than a bit of minor moments beforehand she didn't seem all that concerned with the idea.

Full review to be posted at Poisoned Rationality
Melanie
Very cute, very funny, nerdy hero who's been in love with the heroine for years.. All of a sudden, add in psychic abilities that allow her to see through his clothes (I wouldn't mind that ability, lol!) and a mystery surrounding her Alaskan B&B, and voilà!, you have a very sweet and funny romance:-)
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
What an odd book. It starts as a contemporary romance with a very unlikable heroine. Then things get a bit weird with super powers and alternate realities. Far from my favorite Jill Shalvis. Low three high two stars and that's it.
Caffenero
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic-creatures
There's a first time for everything, also a two star for a JJ book :-/ I really couldn't get into this girls-scout-mint-chocolate-cookies induced bad dream :-S
Aly
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's 3 things that convinced me to buy this book even before I finished reading the backcover.

-Jill Shalvis
-Alaska
-Bears and wolves and moose

And since I didn't read the summary till the end and stopped before the last paragraph, it was a surprise to realize there's paranormal elements to the story. A good surprise it was for me, especially since after almost fifty books I read from this author, it was, I think, the first time she went down this route. Which also made this one more absurd and
Sandra
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre book. I really liked Or plan and Rachel. I just wish they would have been in a normal setting. Just a little too out there premise. I still love Jill Shalvis and will continue reading all her current works. And will be more selective of older works.
Wendi
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Having just found a Jill Shalvis book I had not read before - I just grabbed and bought it:
Jill. I love your work! Every story!
this one.. "Abilities" .. too far fetched for me.

It took me forever to get into it. Normally, im a 1-2 day max on your books.
Emily Higgins
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Rachel inherited a bed and breakfast in Alaska from a great-great-aunt. Rachel convinces her best friend's brother, Kel, to go with her when she flies to Alaska to see her inheritance. Once there, nothing is as it seems.
Jane
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-shalvis
I am a big fan of Jill Shalvis but this book was just plain weird. It was supposed to be a little romance along with some paranormal. I did make it half way through it but just couldn't go on. Maybe if you like paranormal it would be your cup of tea but it sure wasn't mine.
Lori
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This was a very strange story. Alternate universes, pirates, special powers, etc. Ultimately it was about 2 people who have known each other their whole lives and didn't realize what they felt for each other until they were thrown into unusual circumstances. Although it was a strange story I liked it.
Kate Dirty Girls' Good Books
One of the things I love about my library is it's romance section. Four shoulder-height racks that rotate. The part I like best is that they are only loosely alphabetized. Meaning all the "M"s are together, but not necessarily in order. It might seem like a strange thing to appreciate, but I love stumbling across a favorite author's book I haven't heard of before. That's how I found this quirky Shalvis read.

Rachel inherits a Bed & Breakfast in Alaska from her aunt. She takes her good friend
Iris Blobel
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it

Trust Jill Shalvis to make me read a paranormal story. LOL.

AND enjoy it!

Okay, in all fairness, it's not much of a story. Rachel, a muralist (I had to google that one!) in LA, inherits a B & B in the wilderness of Alaska. Kellan, her friend's brother who is also secretly in love with her, accompanies her. Two beautiful characters, it was fun to follow their story.

Then it gets all weird and I found myself reading, not understanding the plot at all, but laughing at the jokes, dialogues
Jessi
Wow. If a book could have multiple personalities, this book would. It flips from a regular romance with some paranormal touches and then suddenly turns into an action/adventure series... with pirates.
I read this book because I adore Jill Shalvis. Some of her earlier work can be uneven though.
Rachel Bond, LA artist, likes her life. When her great-aunt leaves her a B&B in Alaska, Rache'ls not sure what to do with it. Since her best friend can't come with her, Rachel brings the next best perso
Jayjay
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2read-kobo
Three weeks ago Rachel Bond inherited a bed-and-breakfast. Too bad that it's in a remote part of Alaska, staffed by a house chef who can't cook and a guide who can't read a map. There's something distinctly strange going on...and that's not counting the fact that Rachel just got hit by lightning, and her good friend Kellan is suddenly possessed with animalistic sexiness she's never seen before. Turns out, Rachel's inheritance is not your regular bed-and-breakfast - it's the portal to an alternat ...more
Cordelia
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This book hooked me in the beginning, even though I spent a lot of time thinking, "How many people have distant relatives who leave them businesses in remote areas that they have to take over Or Else?" Then, about 1/3 of the way through, I spent the rest of the book thinking, "What the hell is going on and why is this so ridiculous?" I occasionally liked the characters, but the vaguely supernatural We Have Superpowers Now plotline was just... stupid.
Jan
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I erroneously thought the premise of this book would make for a side-splitting, hilarious, tears-down-the-cheeks read. The main character is a mural artist from LA who was bequeathed a B&B in the wilds of Alaska which she goes to visit with her best friend's older brother. Could be funny, right??? For me, the book fell flat right after the lightening hit which is virtually ten minutes after they got out of the plane.
Elaine
OK, this is really a 3.5 to me, but since I enjoyed this funny, cute story so much more than a recent creepy read, it's getting 4 stars.

This story is a best friends to lover trope, with a somewhat wacky, paranormal plot.

The good: a unique plot, humorous, cute
The bad: odd character traits never explained, some holes in the story

I enjoyed this light tale, with is HEA. I hope you do too!
Sara
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Based on the cover blurb, I couldn't figure out the title on this one. Once I started reading, it became clearer. It was a weird little story about an LA painter who inherited a B&B in the wilds of Alaska and ends up going to visit it with her best friend's brother. While on the trip, the two start to fall in love, are struck by lightning, suddenly possess super powers and evil pirates try to steal these powers. It was a bit much to take, but worked out OK in the end.
Morgan
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This one was hard to read. So many twists and turns, it got confusing and muddled at times. Also, a bit of an issue with the setting and how things really work in the Alaskan Bush. Love Jill Shalvis books in general, just not this one.

Oh, and as for the cover, penguins don't live in Alaska, or near the North Pole. They belong at the other end of the world, the South Pole. Someone at the publisher's should know that.
Colleen
This book is definitely different, it's sort of a hokey, comical paranormal type story. It's definitely nothing to take serious and if you are in the mood for a quick, light-hearted type book with a sweet romance, give this one a shot. I will admit the book started out much stronger, but it started to get old about 3/4 the way through - hence why I only gave it 3 stars.
Janet Beck
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just no....thought it was a typical contemporary romance, fish-out-of-water experience. The potential romance was getting very hot, and then a very strange supernatural element was thrown in..ruined it for me.

I got this book from the libary, have no idea if that is typical for the author, but the cover/blurb do not indicate the style.

Nancy
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
heh. well, it's quite an explicit "romance". which for some reason i didn't expect. not exactly a problem, but it uses a completely unnecessary and awkward superhero storyline to push the two people together and it's not all that well written. i thought the premise of inheriting a remote B&B had potential on its own... my expectations were too high i guess.
Al
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jill Shavalis attempts to blend romance, which she is very good at writing, with a bit of science fiction. The result falls a bit below her straight romance novels. I got the feeling that some of the characterizations were a bit forced to account for the science fiction elements of the plot. Standard romance plot elements. Worth a read.
Christina Crone
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had just grabbed this book at the library and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Most books normally get to the "I can put it down" phasw towards the end...this one took it from Chapter 1. I wanted to call out for work so I could just sit at home and read.

Perfect mix of mystery, paranomarl, romance, humor....GREAT BOOK. I will definitely be reading more of Jill Shalvis!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Out of This World 1 4 Feb 15, 2012 07:49AM
  • Mating Season (Children of Nanook, #1)
  • Handsome Bastard (Ancient Blood, #1)
  • Complicated
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • A Gentlewoman's Ravishment (The Ladies' Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Heat Rises
  • Mating Fever
  • The Last Princess (Pack Seduction, #3)
  • To All A Good Night
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Able-Bodied (Harlequin Blaze #451) (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Men of Courage II (Men of Courage, #5; Stone/White, #1)
  • Special Force
  • The Knight's Prisoner
  • Falling, Freestyle (Xtreme Adventures, #1)
  • Five Ways 'til Sunday (Delta Heat, #1)
  • Bound by Night (Brides of Darkness #3)
  • Breeding The Female (Forced, Fucked, and Bred Trilogy, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi
More about Jill Shalvis...