Start by marking “A Rose to the Torch (Into Vermilion, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Rose to the Torch (Into Vermilion, #1)

A Rose to the Torch

(Into Vermilion #1)

A genetic mystery. An ancient bloodline. A terrible secret.

From birth, Coral has been burdened by the knowledge that she is a hemomancer – an endangered race known for their somewhat macabre ability to manipulate blood. But secret suffering has been easier than the alternative, should Coral’s family ever find out about her powers.

When she finally loses her best friend Tama
Published October 31st 2019 by Lunarium Books

To ask other readers questions about A Rose to the Torch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose to the Torch

Start your review of A Rose to the Torch (Into Vermilion, #1)
Susie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susie by: All Bleeds Through: Ten Stories of Hemomancy and the World it Shaped

Booked By Random

*I received a free digital ARC via NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Incredible world building

I can completely understand why people have a “Marmite” reaction to this (i.e. they either love it or hate it): if I hadn’t read the prequel to this, All Bleeds Through (ABT), then I believe that I would have been somewhat confused, too.

ABT lays out the basics of the universe, with tales set inside it that eventually all link together. This brings nearly all of tho
CR
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The first thing that caught my eye for this title was that cover. I fell in love with it. The story itself sounded really good and I loved to find something new to read. However, part of the story was a little on the confusing side but others were fine. I think that for me it needed to be a little more concise with its telling and showing. I do think that I will check out this authors other titles but for this one it was ok.
Asrar Lydia
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I recieved a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I enjoyed this book, the storyline was unique and not something I have previously encountered in urban fantasy. The idea of hemomancy is really cool, and I liked the way the author built up a difference between the blood types.

It is a well written book with a good pace and plot building, although I would have liked some more character depht. I liked Coral and Gavin, but I didn't connect with them since I didn't feel l
Angel 一匹狼
A young girl, that has been harboring a secret for all of her life, suddenly finds herself in the middle of a feud between to warring sides of hemomancers, the scourge of humanity.

The secret being that she is a hemomancer herself. Hemomancers being humans with the power to use their blood as a weapon. Lander being someone who has probably read "Tokyo Ghoul" just a few days before starting to write this book.

Or not, but while reading "A Rose to the Torch", "Tokyo Ghoul" was the reference that kep
BooksCoffee
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The curse of carrying the bloodline of the ancient bloodfiends comes to haunt a young woman as she finds herself in the middle of the secret war between the two most influential bloodlines in Lander’s brilliant urban fantasy.

Built on the characters, universe, and themes established in Lander’s earlier book All Bleeds Through: Ten Stories of Hemomancy and the World it Shaped, the novel takes the reader on the harrowing journey of the high school graduate and closet hemomancer Coral Savary, whose
Leon Sinclair
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a fantastic read! The worldbuilding drew me in and the plot seemed well paced with some interesting twists. The magic system is fairly simple, clearly explained, and used well throughout, both as a tool to explore the characters and to further the plot.

I had a few minor gripes and one bigger gripe that stopped me from giving this book 5 stars. One standout issue was the accent of one of the characters, Gavin. Gavin is meant to be Irish, and occasionally peppers his speech with an a
Pegboard
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting to read A Rose to the Torch after reading Bartholomew Landers A Bleeds Through. This novel can stand alone, but I had enjoyed the anticipation of continuing the story of the hemomancer, a person who can control blood. Coral Savary just turns eighteen when Gavin approaches her, another hemo. Of course she should be leery of strangers, by ditching Gavin Coral ends up in the clutches of Blake. He is the worst kind of hemomancer and his plans for Coral cannot end well for her, as ...more
Jimmy Jefferson
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A taste for blood, intrigue, and life

This is a great fantasy thriller that encompass a young lady who is a hemomancer and has a desire to be belong. Corral finds herself in the middle of two worlds and belonging to neither. After her family cuts all ties to her, she has to seek assistance in the Orchid Veil. Corral finds herself in a war being conducted for the purpose of winning her blood. This story is fast paced and filled with action while also exploring the emotion and vulnerability of a te
Jessica
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carol is a high school student who is a secret Hemomancer in a world where being one is a certain death sentence. When she is stalked by a dangerous stranger, she stumbles into a world and war she never wanted to enter. Cast out by her family and friends, and on the run from the infamous Rosarium who wants her blood. Coral has no choice to accept the help of a mysterious group called the Orchid Veil. But are they any better than the Rosarium? And will she ever find her confidence and self-worth? ...more
Rachel Kester
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book by author Bartholomew Lander tells the story of Coral, a high school graduate and secret hemomancer. Coral dislikes being a hemomancer and tries to keep this fact hidden from others. However, one day, a mysterious man finds her which changes everything. Coral is soon disowned by her family and must start working with the Orchid Veil to help protect herself.

Lander writes with a creative and captivating style that is sure to make putting the book down difficult to do. The story features
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This was a good read with an interesting premise, it has great world building, well written and developed characters and a good story. The shame is I thought the story was only good, everything else was fabulous, I don’t think the end worked so well, and parts of the story were quite confused. I enjoyed it and with more work could be brilliant, I will still read the next, as it was interesting enough that I want to see what happens next and I hope it gets better.

Thanks to netgalley and the publi
Jemma Geary
I picked this because it intrigued me and isn't my usual genre. So glad I did as I really enjoyed it - coral is a character who found difficult to like, but the people who rescue her and try to save her I loved! And by the end I'm questioning whether they've just made a worse enemy to the veil!! The second book will be on my tbr when it comes out. ...more
Laura (Bookie_mama_bear)
I think this book has real potential to be great, unfortunately for me it just lacked lots of detail. The author has gone for an instant hook but it hasn’t really worked. It left me confused and unsure what was really happening. It’s a shame because the story could have been so much more engaging.
Tammy
Feb 10, 2020 added it
Shelves: not-for-me
This book was way too slow paced for me. Stopped at 46%. Liked the secondary characters better than Coral.
Shanell Meek
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written characters and story!

This is a well written story full of twists and turns. The main character Coral struggles with both internal and external demons. This brings a sense of humanity to her and makes her relatable. This is more a story of survival rather than fulfillment which makes it more interesting and brings a whole new idea to the table. I really enjoyed this book, it brought brought a whole level to this book full of suspense, drama and suspense. Coral is a young woman who w
Drusillah
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More, more, more!

I enjoyed Lander's latest book, especially after having read the short stories. What an interesting premise. The characters were quite well-rounded and the dialogues flowed smoothly. Lander built a cool world that I want to read more about.
Prashiela Manga
Mel (Epic Reading)
Nov 18, 2019

• Cruel and Unusual
  • Falling from the Light
  • Blood & Roses (Part One Book 1)
  • The Voice of Death (The Danny Ryle Mysteries #5)
  • What To Do About POTASS: A comedic novella of political errors
  • Coinage of Commitment
  • Simon's Mansion
  • Quick Relief for the Common Cold
  • Matt Monroe and the Haunted House
  • Acquired: Now What?: Embrace the flux and uncertainty of M&A and become a savvy and bulletproof business professional. YOUR JOURNEY AWAITS!
  • After Olympus
  • The Girl Who Cheated Death
  • Pink The Painter (The Adventures Of Pink The Hedgehog Book 1)
  • Seraph (Voidstalker #3)
  • Shortcut (The Cut Series Book 2)
  • A Grimoire Dark: A Horror Thriller (The Spirit Hunter Series Book 1)
  • Hap: The Prize Winning Horse
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
A programmer, writer, and spider enthusiast. Bartholomew writes dark, character-driven urban fantasy with a dash of YA energy and a pinch of cosmic horror. When not writing about blood and spiders, he can be found running RPG campaigns and watching the horizon for the Mothman.