Start by marking “The Book Review Companion: An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews” as Want to Read:
The Book Review Companion: An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews

The Book Review Companion: An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews

The Book Review Companion is a handy reference guide, loaded with feedback from authors and real-world experience. It includes step-by-step instructions for getting and using book reviews.
- Proven review strategies applicable to any book, and any author
- The ten major sources for reviews, including sixty resources
- Amazon review policies demystified and clarified
- A com
Published October 24th 2019 by PartnerPress

To ask other readers questions about The Book Review Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Review Companion

Start your review of The Book Review Companion: An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews
Stuart Aken
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Subtitled ‘An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews’, this is manual designed to do what the title suggests. Unfortunately, in common with a number of other books offering similar advice, it has little new to say about fiction, concentrating mainly on nonfiction. This isn’t a fault of the book; it’s an issue with the marketplace. I was hoping I might find something new here, but I’ve come to the conclusion there is no more to be said on the subject of promoting fiction through reviews ...more
Lola
I received a free copy of this book from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

I've been enjoying reading some non-fiction books about (self)-publishing among other topics this year, so when I got the email about this book I grabbed the chance to read it. I think reviews can be very important to a book's success, so I thought it would be interesting to read a book about how authors can get reviews. And I was hoping this would be a good resource for that.

It's clear the author has been around the
Hillary DePiano
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a simple, straightforward guide to the importance of getting reviews for your book with tips and suggestions on how to do so. It's short but that's because it doesn't waste your time getting to the point. The author's tone is friendly and clear and the advice given is easy enough, though the implementation is harder and more work than it may seem on the page. Chasing down reviews is WORK but Wogahn gives you a great foundation of how and where to start focusing your efforts so that work ...more
Aly
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been in the PR industry for 13+ years and I'm working on my first book marketing project. I read Joanna Penn's book How to Market a Book which provided a good overview, but David's book goes into greater detail surrounding how to get reviews, who to ask, who you shouldn't ask, how to ask, how to find book bloggers, pros and cons of editorial reviews, etc. There are eBook promotions that you can secure without having any reviews, which I was previously looking into, but David shared some gre ...more
John Penteros
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For newbie authors and those who've been flailing around trying to figure out what you're supposed to do after the writing dust has settled, here it is. The Book Review Companion is another practical, sensible, and clearly written book by David Wogahn. David makes the distinctions between customer reviews, editorial reviews, and blurbs, and explains the benefits and pitfalls of each.

This book is real world advice from someone you wish you had sitting at your side as you plow through the complex
Antonia Burgato
Writing book reviews is a challenge for many indie authors. Yet, it is an essential skill to learn early on in any publishing venture. In The Book Review Companion: An Author’s Guide to Getting and Using Book Reviews, David Woghan explains the process of getting reviews and why they are essential in a step-by-step manner. From finding the right reviewers to rules and ethics of the game, this guide is requisite in all publishing endeavors.
Christina Hannan
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative about reviews

Out of the three books in this series, I felt like it was more universal rather than U.S based, which made it so much easier for me to be able to plan ahead for what would need to happen marketing/review wise for when the time to publish comes. The book has some good insights on what to do and has easy to follow ideas on how to get those reviews.
LeAnn Robinson
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the Best

I've read tons of books on marketing for authors, and this was one of my top favorites. It covered a small element of the marketing effort, but it did so in sufficient detail that I now believe I actually know how to implement the ideas. I wish more marketing books were like this one!
J.W. Wexford
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Was okay, could be more specific

I know there are a lot of books out there on strategies for acquiring reviews, so I’d recommend reading more than just this one. It’d be nice if he’d have chapters specific to fiction vs nonfiction. Some of it is not practical either. But every author’s path is different. A lot of good ideas and suggestions though.
Morgan Bishop
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wouldn't it be ironic if I didn't leave it review on this?

This was a very detailed and incredibly helpful Manual for self publishing writers, especially people new to self-publishing. Every chapter is very detailed and very helpful!
Chanelle Nash
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very informative and the best book on getting reviews I have read so far to date.
Kristine Shields
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A good reference book. Dry but packed with a lot of information.
Morgan Perryman
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was practical, up-to-date, and easy to both understand and implement. I can't wait to put some of these steps into action! ...more
John Vonhof
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Book Review Companion is an excellent read for authors looking for ways to get more reviews and endorsements. The book is well organized and very thorough. I found lots of worthwhile tips on getting reviews. Well worth the read.
Alessandra Cordeiro
The reading is easy and didactic. Detailed content is a guide for beginners and intermediate level. I did not consider the importance of book reviews until I read this one. Extremely useful for authors who are self-publishing. I highly recommend this book.
Miranda A. Uyeh
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book puts in one place all that the author needs to know about book reviewing and the logistics behind it. Some aspects of the book reviewing phase that may be confusing, especially for beginning authors unaware of how to navigate the waters, are demystified and laid out in simple steps that they can follow. This is not to say that the work of lifting a book up for the world to see is suddenly made easy by using this book. It simply means that the path toward success in the book reviewing p ...more
Jacqueline J.
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Book Review Companion" is a wonderful resource that has informed me why book reviews are essential. Although I'm an author, I truly wasn't aware how essential they are until after I read this book. I really liked the analogy of the full parking lot and book reviews. It's true, if you go to a restaurant, for example, and the parking lot is empty, then you wonder if the food will be any good. The same is true for book reviews. This book is so very thorough that an author can use it again and ...more
R. Bruce Rowe
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David lets us know that reviews are the key to creating credibility for you and your book. More reviews increase your chances of making the sale. But how do you get reviews? This book answers that question in detail. Use it as a handbook to make it happen, step-by-step. David's experience in the business comes through as he answers virtually every question you'll have.
Remember that people must be able to discover and see value in your book. The writing must be good, but it's your marketing that
Amber  Christiansen
This book is pretty comprehensive for the subject. It details why reviews are important, ways to get them (including a wealth of resources), and how and why to write reviews. The advice on how to write reviews was a bit too formulaic for my tastes, but it'll be worth referencing when I don't know what to say. The part I found most helpful was the resources on finding reviewers and how to approach them.

I received a free ARC from the author and am leaving a voluntary review. I'm on the author's ma
Michaell Cavllaro
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Book on the subject of how to get Book Reviews

Before reading this book I knew nothing of the importence of having book reviews, or how to get them. Now I know. Every author, or person who want's to become an author must read this book. Thank you for a great book Mr. Woghan.
N. Lang
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
great info for newbies

Good info for newbies like me. I have the "Yellow pages of Book Review" and found some of those links in here too but don't know if there all the same. A lot of stuff I booked marked and will be going back to. I found some of the stories of marketing with book reviews interesting and worthwhile. Just got to keep getting those reviews.
Rachael Eckles
Jan 06, 2020
P.K. Butler
Aug 31, 2020

• 101 foolproof jokes to use in case of emergency
  • A Shattered Marriage (His Deadly Betrayal Series Book 1)
  • Write Great Beginnings: How to start a novel, hook readers from page one, avoid common first-chapter problems (Writers’ Guide Series)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • MARK CUBAN - Top 15 Secrets To Success In Life & Business: The Sportsmanship Of Business
  • How to Write A Series: A Guide to Series Types and Structure plus Troubleshooting Tips and Marketing Tactics (Genre Fiction How To)
  • Acting Married (Married, #5)
  • Amazon Reviews for Books: How to Get Book Reviews on Amazon
  • How to Write a Novel: Step-by-Step | Essential Romance Novel, Mystery Novel and Fantasy Novel Writing Tricks Any Writer Can Learn (Writing Best Seller Book 1)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Chariots of The Gods
  • A Forbidden and Explicit Foursome Story: Teaching the Babysitter and her Boyfriend (MFM Reverse Harem Explicit Romances Book 14)
  • How to Sell Books by the Truckload on Amazon - 2020 Updated Edition: Learn how to turn Amazon into your 24/7 sales machine!
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Recipe for Chaos (Fairyland Romances, #3)
  • Self-Discipline for Writers: Writing Is Hard, But You Too Can Write and Publish Books Regularly
  • Cobblered to Death (Courtney Archer #1)
  • Be a Writing Machine: Write Faster and Smarter, Beat Writer's Block, and Be Prolific (Author Level Up Book 2)
David Wogahn is an indie publishing strategist specializing in publishing and imprint management for indie publishers and hybrid authors. His publishing and Internet marketing experience began at Los Angeles Times parent Times Mirror where he was co-founder of Times Mirror Multimedia and later co-founded and served as COO of a VC-backed online sports network.

David is the author of Register Your Bo