Start by marking “The Treasure Map” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Map

The Treasure Map

What if you faced a life and death adventure to maintain your faith?

Jack is a ten-year-old boy ready for a joyous Christmas vacation, but as punishment for a poor report card, he is tasked with cleaning out his family’s long-forgotten attic. Inside, he finds a chest with a treasure map and a letter that transports him to another time, place, and existence.

Jack finds hims
Published November 4th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Map

Start your review of The Treasure Map
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story with lessons

What would you sacrifice for your beliefs? You'll ask yourself that very question as you read this. It's fiction with a message, and an easy enough read for older kids who have graduated into chapter books. They might even add to their vocabulary (in a good way).
Kelly
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I agreed to write this honest objective review and received a complimentary pre-release copy to do so. It is the first Tyler Scott Hess book I have read.

The story changes time and place every few chapters, some chapters revealing 10-year-old Jack’s life working on cleaning up the attic while missing out on some of his family’s Christmas activities and being fascinated by the treasure map and letter. Other chapters take us into the time and place of the treasure map and letter where the Faithful
Tara Savanna
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jack, having not lived up to his potential, is suffering the consequences of his actions and has to clean out a musty, forgotten attic where he finds a surprise waiting for him in a forgotten trunk.

I’m always a little hesitant when reading books with kids in them because some writers take children’s attitudes and snark to the extreme of disrespectfulness. Mr. Hess, however, pulls off the perfect balance of the typical 10-year-old’s attitude without getting overly snarky AND has his parents call
Mary
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's something about a group of people with different personalities, many quirks, and various skill sets banding together with a common goal. There's bound to be tension, and sometimes even traitors, but there's also a bond that only comes from putting one's life on the line for each other, and this camaraderie enabled the fugitives who have a leading role in this book to take on what seemed nearly impossible to accomplish. I loved the message of teamwork, and that everyone has unique abiliti ...more
Tonja  Condray Klein
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Two stories intertwined in time!

Great intricate characters! Amazing backstory with the Monroes! Inspiring loyalty with the Faithful! A Truth that transcends places and history for those who know how to find it now! I’m hoping with how this ends means a book 2?! I deeply wish to read more about this interesting family’s mixed times! 😊
Joshua  Stevens
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Treasure Map by @tylerscotthess was such a good read.
🍂
It follows Jack a ten year old boy who as punishment has to clean out the attic on his Christmas vocation.
Jack and his family were really well written and felt genuine. Jack was a relatable and fun character.
🍂
It also follows Niko an escaped fugitive who was convicted for his faith. Niko's story was very exciting and had me on edge. There are also some really good spiritual themes in here.
🍂
This is a middle grade book (I think I'll get my y
Yakira Goldsberry
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the Christmas season right around the corner, there will be plenty of Christmas books hitting the shelves. But there has never been a Christmas story quite so unique or different as Tyler Scott Hess’s The Treasure Map.

When I saw the cover reveal for this book, I thought it was an autumn-ish story, but then I reminded myself that Hess is obsessed with Christmas. Like, a bit over-the-top obsessed. Not that I’m complaining. And it turned out, it was. But, I guess you could say that The Treasur
Sharel Gordon-Love
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake Monroe was like any typical 10-year-old around Christmas time; snowball fights and sledding with his friends enjoying the season in anticipation for presents and family traditions. Unfortunately for Jake, his report card showed up as well, and the punishment he received was much different than any he had before in Author Tyler Scott Hess’s, “The Treasure Map.”

Jake could not believe he was given the task of cleaning out the attic in their family home that had been passed down to them from th
Susan
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I agreed to write this objective review and received a complimentary pre-release copy in doing so. This is the first book I have read of Tyler Scott Hess’s.

Jack Monroe is a 10-year-old boy who is giving the task of cleaning out the attic as punishment for a poor report card. All the while his siblings are enjoying their Christmas vacation. Little does he know that all the hard work will be worth his while in the end. While going about his punishment young Jack comes across a treasure map and a
Joy Kidney
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was it possible for an escaped convict to be a hero? That's the question asked by a boy who finds a map in an old trunk in the attic. Cleaning up the attic during Christmas break was punishment for less than stellar grades, but leads to a challenging mystery from an earlier time, connected to the boy's ancestry. Boys and girls alike will be intrigued by this well-told and suspenseful story.

The author, Tyler Scott Hess, is also fun to follow on Instagram.
Terri
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading The Treasure Map.
The characters are wonderful and the story filled with imagination. I love how Jack discovers the pages that transport him to another time. The story moves back and forth between Jack and Niko and I found it hard to put down to find what happens next. There is a good message about family, friendship and faith. I highly recommend this book for all age groups.

This objective review was based on a complimentary pre-release copy.
Susan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a pleasure to read and discover the world that Jack falls into! I think this author did a great job of switching between Jack and Niko and how Jack keeps it going. Loads of action and details of a different world that will keep you turning the pages. Definitely will leave you thinking deeply about the meaning and pondering the lessons we can learn from it all! It felt like an allegory to me and I enjoyed the message. A wonderful creation!
Dorothy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining but with a meaningful undertone. My ten year old son and I read this together and he told me, "This is the best book I've ever read!" This story is perfect for preteens who are interested in adventure and suspense. I'm looking forward to reading more from Tyler Scott Hess. ...more
Pauline
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-ya-lit
I think Treasure Map is a book that will be much enjoyed by preteens. The topics will resonate with younger readers. It would be a great book to read aloud in the family. The book was full of action and a main character with whom preteens and early teens can identify. I can envision once reading this book some 10-12 year olds will be begging to go clean their attic.
Grace Grose
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun Christmas adventure!

Engaging story with adventure and mystery intertwined within. Enjoyed seeing Jack’s maturing process and relationship with his family. Recommend it!
Kristi Drillien
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, fantasy, sci-fi
When a bad report card leads to Jack spending Christmas vacation cleaning out the attic, the last thing he expected to find was a map and letters that magically whisked him away to another place and time. Suddenly he's seeing events through the eyes of Niko, a young man who lives in a time when the Faithful are persecuted and even publicly executed in an annual celebration. Niko miraculously escapes this execution and then joins a group of rebels who are determined to expose the evils of the Sta ...more
Leanne
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When trying to find books for kids that are at that "in-between" stage, around 10-14 years of age, it can be difficult to find material that is engaging and fun for them to read. This is a gem! Not only is it filled with exciting action for the boys, it carries the elements of mystery and drama for girls. This is universally enjoyable, and as an adult, I THOROUGHLY savored it. I read it in a matter of a few hours, and couldn't put it down. As a parent of four, this book was a breath of fresh air ...more
Blessed & Bookish
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Treasure Map by Tyler Scott Hess is a unique and vividly interesting time-slip novel. And while I got the vibe that the story was directed more to the Young Adult genre, I found myself completely immersed in Jack and Niko’s story. I have read several time slips, but this one is unique in that Jack (the middle-school-aged-boy) actually gets to live out Niko’s story when he is transported in a vision to the land of Ariel and learns first-hand the persecution Niko suffers because of his faith.
T
B.M. Baker
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Gripping Read

Wow!! This is my first time reading this genre and this author, and I was not disappointed! I was drawn into the story from the start and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. For me, it was quite intense as I'm not used to this kind of reading. I couldn't help but laugh at Jack's punishment of cleaning out the attic, and I loved watching his imagination roar to life to make the task more enjoyable. Then when he discovered the chest and map...oh, I didn't want to put the book down.
Ramón S.
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the whole idea of the book but the characters are not fully developed and I realized that because I was not loving them I was not really interested in their trials. The end is not credible in my opinion but I will continue reading the author to see how the story grows
Tonya J.
Jan 07, 2021 rated it did not like it
This book was listed under “Christian fiction and nonfiction“ I know there’s a lot of sects out there that call themselves Christians, but the celebration of holidays is pagan. I’m sure the story is spectacular if you can get past that. I was just sorely disappointed.
DeeAnn Smith
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
enthralling!

I could not put this book down, read it in one morning. I love books about the past & this kept me hooked! Loved the storyline! Didn't want it to end.
Jessica
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thumbs up. I would put this in the teen section of the library, 7 to 9 th grade. A fast paced read.

People that like the Maze Runner or Michael Vey will enjoy this book
Bob Clark
Jul 21, 2021

• What if...
  • Journey to Joy
  • Mission to Protect (Military K-9 Unit #1)
  • The Fixer (The Raincoast Saga, #1)
  • Eye for Eye (Talion #1)
  • Mist at the Beach House
  • Ye Olde Antique Shoppe: The Edward V Coin
  • The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love
  • Hide and Seek (Lantern Beach Guardians #1)
  • Shock and Awe (Lantern Beach Guardians #2)
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Fire Dancer
  • The Tech
  • Dragon on the Far Side of the Moon
  • 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • The Art of Rivers (Coastal Hearts #3)
Tyler Scott Hess is a believer, writer, and author of the new novel The Compass.

Trained in the business world, uplifted in the church, and dedicated to the craft of writing, Tyler has spent years sharing his thoughts on the world through an ever-increasing collection of novels, including the holiday classic, Christmas in Pineville.

Tyler grew up in the Pacific Northwest, where he graduated from Ore

News & Interviews

At Goodreads, we love reading (shocker, I know). There's just nothing like curling up on the couch with a cup of coffee or tea and burying...