Start by marking “Addiction” as Want to Read:
Addiction

Addiction

Addiction can destroy your life. But if you destroy addiction, can you get your life back?

At twenty-eight, Owen Fredrikson is homeless, unemployed, and grappling with drug addiction. Before he let drugs take over his life, he had a pretty sweet job working the front desk of a fancy hotel, his boss was his best friend, and he had a loving fiancé.

After three years togeth
Published August 16th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Addiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addiction

Start your review of Addiction
Sheri
I think my angst-o-meter is broken?
Pretty sure this time it IS me and not the book.
I've become accustomed to angsty angst (*cough* Lane, Garrett, and Hansen *cough*) from a few of my favorite authors.
And I had anticipated this to be the same.
I wanted an emotional tsunami to sweep me away.
And well, here I am.....still dry, including my eyes.
Things felt subdued. As if I was watching through layers of glass on a foggy night.
It was...muted.
However, it was a beautiful story of how addiction no
Eliott Griffen
It's no surprise that I gave this book five stars. But not for the reasons you think.

I've spent my life with an addict in very close proximity. Needless to say, this book brought back some memories. Every addict is different, but they share certain traits. It is tough to write about it, but Roberta did a fantastic job.

In the prologue, we see how Owen and Dex met and how their relationship started. By Chapter 1 years have passed, and things happened. Through flashbacks, we learn the whole story
Joyfully Jay
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

This was one of those books that I knew was not going to work for me early on. When the book opens, we are in Dex’s POV and he was fairly irritating to me. While I didn’t care for his thought process, the style of writing overall was simplistic in an unpleasant way, relied at times on clichés, read as dated for the age of the characters, and felt forced as it didn’t have a natural flow for inner dialogues and conversation.

The set up for their story did not work for
Kirstin
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Addiction is a difficult topic to cover and can be such an emotional experience, but it's very unique to the person. No one's addiction is the same and no one's recovery is the same.

This story was a beautiful telling of two men who had their lives planned out together, until one of them was injured and started taking pain medication and never quit.

The setup for the story was great. Both Owen and Dex had me squeeing at their first date and loving how darn cute Dex was at romance. Their character
Kim
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read this author before. This is a mm contemporary story about drug addiction. Main characters were Dex and Owen. Owen journey was a rough one and after hitting rock bottom this is a way up. I’ll read more from this author.
Becca
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, please be aware of the content warnings in the blurb. They are no joke. This is another one of those hard stories that pulls no punches, and I have to commend the author on it. Unless you have been an addict or dealt with someone who is an addict, it’s hard to know what someone is going through or putting others through. Granted, this has a happy ending, but remember in life, there aren’t always happy endings. And it could have turned a lot different in this book as well. Be ...more
Riina Y.T.
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another sparkling success for Roberta and her latest bittersweet second chance love story.

I greatly enjoyed Owen and Dex’s heart breaking journey. They had it rough but deserved each other so much (IMO). Right from the start, they have great chemistry and I was rooting for them to get find their way back into each other’s hearts and lives.

THAT ENDING!!! I MELTED!!!! T___T

The writing was beautiful and flowed effortlessly, the characters vivid, and the story gripping –– sucked me right it from the
Tjpayne
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, fiction
*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

I fell in love with this author's writing with her first book, "Return to Sender". When I found out she was writing a second book, I was eager to get my hands on it as soon as possible.

As I started reading the story, I became immediately impressed with the writing. While I adored the author's first book, I was stunned by how well this one was written. It's obvious to me that she continues to improve with each book she writes...
Adrienne Bross
I absolutely devoured this book. I came home from work, laid down on the couch while my kiddo was playing Soul Caliber VI and lost myself completely in the story of Owen and Dex and what they went through.

Blabanski's writing is tender and emotionally charged, and even in scenes of anger or judgement, it's hard not to feel for every single character involved. The story starts with speed dating and ends with one of the most complete and satisfying story and character arcs that I've read in a while
Anabela.M.
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Owen has reached rock bottom.  He's managed to ruin his life and lose everything: his fiance Dex, his friends and his job. Because of a misunderstanding, he has also made an enemy out of his dealer,who beats him close to death. Luckily, the police find and take him to the hospital. And maybe ending up in the hospital can be lifesaving for Owen in more ways than one,if only he could grasp the opportunity.

I love the way Roberta Blablanski  structured the book. She took me from the past to the pre
Molly Ringle
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
As the news has been telling us, opioid addiction has become a major problem in the US, affecting millions of people. Roberta tackles the subject in an up-close and (necessarily) hair-raising way, showing the near-worst-case scenario of what can happen to such an individual. Thankfully, for those of us who aren't fond of tragedies, there's redemption to be had, but watching Owen's downward spiral and painful climb back up is still rough. Importantly, we also see the pain of his former fiance (De ...more
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews

Wow. Roberta Blablanski's Addiction is a remarkable story that tells of the horrific spiral downwards that addiction can cause.

Owen and Dex were together, engaged to be married. But when Owen became addicted to opiods, everything changed for the couple.

Through the use of frequent flashbacks, we learn of their past happiness, as well as the depth of their love. We also learn of Owen's spiral into addiction.

Their story includes drug addiction, a scary attack, and recovery. It's a quick story, so
Kat Cassidy
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roberta Blablanski is quickly becoming one of my go-to authors for second-chance romances.

Addiction is one of those stories that takes your heart apart and then puts it back together in all the right ways. Owen and Dex's romance is sweet and real, but it's also not easy for either man. There's a lot of struggle, both internal and external for both of them throughout this story. I felt so deeply for both of them, especially Dex.

Addiction treats the titular subject matter truthfully, honestly, a
Joscelyn Smith
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Owen and Dex's story was an intense read dealing with Owen's addiction and how it affects him and those that love him. Ending up damn near dead was unfortunately probably the only thing that saved Owen by bringing Dex back into his life. I seriously enjoyed these characters and their hard journey as they navigated the pitfalls of Owen's recovery, not just over his addiction but recovering Dex's trust. All in all an enjoyable angsty read.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book*
R.J. Sorrento
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is love strong enough to overcome the perils of addiction? This question is at the heart of Owen and Dex’s story.

The ripple effect of addiction for both main characters made for an interesting read. I also got attached to the side character Sammy, and I look forward to reading his story next.
Jay
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance, kebb
How strong is your love? What is your breaking point? When is it enough to call it quits? Is second chance even a possibility? Owen Fredrikson and Dex Atterbury come face to face with these questions and more in Roberta Blablanski’s Addiction. Explore the reality of addiction, its devastating heartache, the strength of tough love, and embark on a skeptical new beginning.

It all begins with a chance meeting during, of all things, a dating game that takes place at the hotel where Owen works. Shocki
Jenny Wood
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Owen and Dex.

This is a first for me with this author and I knew going in that it was bound to be a “taboo” subject. I knew though, from personal experience loving an addict is something more people need to talk about. It’s affecting more and more people by the day, and you can point fingers and blame whoever you want, until you’ve experienced it… you have no idea.

With this one, like so many people who get addicted to opioids, Owen had suffered a broken ankle and was prescribed pain pills. He h
ButtonsMom2003
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
An unusual romance but I liked it.

Addiction is the first book I've read by Roberta Blablanski and I think it's actually only her second published book. For such a new author I thought she did a really good job with Addiction.

It was a heart-wrenching story in a lot of ways – but I knew it would be when I decided to read it. Owen's addition nearly destroyed his life. On a lighter note, I loved the way that Dex and Owen originally got together; I don't think I've read an M/M story with a speed-dat
cupcakes and bookshelves
My first read from Roberta Blablanski, and after this it won't be my last.
Addiction was heartbreaking but the pain and struggle was necessary to get the most out of these characters ..... and to get them to their HEA. Owen and Dex were sweet and real, the pages alive with their intensity from the very beginning. Addiction also dealt with tough subjects matters in such a wonderful way, highlighting the power of healing and forgiveness, perfectly. I REALLY loved reading it.

*Copy kindly given in
Bahar
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Owen looses everything due to a prescription drug addiction. Can he get his life back? For me, Owen's story is more about forgiveness than anything else.
Addiction can be a very heavy topic...especially for people who have experienced it. It was nice to read a book that dealt with the issue and left me feeling hopeful.
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs, mm

3.75 Stars

The blurb for this story ticked a bunch of boxes for me. I love dark, hurt/comfort reads with a happy ending and I’ve read some amazing romances dealing with drug addiction, but for me, Addiction didn’t fully work.

I thought the author dealt with Owen’s addiction realistically, but I think I wanted more. I wanted more emotion and turmoil from Owen. It would have made the story more believable. I would have enjoyed the story more had the author dug a bit deeper.

There were some good si
Jenn
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like this is a tough book to review because I did like the story and the characters, but I felt like it was missing something, especially in the last third of the book, it just felt very abrupt and incomplete for me. I feel like I just needed a little more.

Addiction is a difficult topic and I think this author does a good job with it, especially in the beginning. I felt like I understood a lot of what Dex and Owen were going through. It’s also very clear that these two mean something very
Alice Rachel
Sep 04, 2019
Fossa
Aug 13, 2020

• Today (Single Dads #2)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • The Last Text
  • Trusting the Elements (Never Too Late, #1)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • How to Bang a Billionaire (Arden St. Ives, #1)
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • Of Autumn Leaves and New Beginnings
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Hold My Hand (One Man Guy, #2)
  • Fated Hearts (Shadow Bound, #1)
  • Flash Rip
  • Jacob Michaels Is Trouble (Point Worth #5)
  • Angels in the City
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Jacob Michaels Is Tired (Point Worth #1)
Roberta Blablanski hails from The Big Easy: New Orleans, Louisiana. She draws inspiration from her colorful hometown and her former life as a college radio DJ. When she isn’t writing, she spends her days searching for the world’s best Bloody Mary and avoiding people she went to high school with. Her normal habitat is curled up in bed with a good book and a cup of coffee.

Roberta developed a love of