Start by marking “In The Clearing” as Want to Read:
In The Clearing

In The Clearing

A stunning new psychological thriller from the bestselling author of Call Me Evie.

Amy has only ever known what life is like in the Clearing. She knows what's expected of her. She knows what to do to please her elders, and how to make sure life in the community remains happy and calm. That is, until a new young girl joins the group. She isn't fitting in; she doesn't want to
Published December 31st 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about In The Clearing, please sign up.
J.P. Pomare Hi KC,

Hi KC,

this one won't be available in the US until the second half of 2020. I'll make sure the publication date is updated when the US edition is added to Goodreads and it may be available on Netgalley earlier.
(less)

Start your review of In The Clearing
Mandy White
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you love Call me Evie? Yes... then you are going to LOVE In the Clearing! In my opinion In the Clearing is better than Call Me Evie! It is that good!

This was a book that I was desperate to get my hands on, so a huge thank you to Hachette Books Australia for sending an advanced copy my way. I could not wait to get started on it and then I was completely hooked, and needed to see how it was going to end. I was gobsmacked when it was revealed. Absolutely brilliant. When I finished this book I
NZLisaM
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense, 2019
4.5 I'm still shaking with disbelief" stars!

Teenager Amy lives an insular existence in the Clearing, raised by the Elders through strict routine, brainwashing, deprivation, punishment, and fear to believe that everyone outside of it is a threat.

Having lost her first son, Freya is overly-cautious when it comes to protecting her second. Her isolated property is a safe house fence, alarm, dog, shutters, panic button, even a fire bunker Freya is prepared for anything. Or is she?

Freya and Amy's
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

In The Clearing by J.P. Pomare. (2020).

Amy has only ever known life in the Clearing and knows what's expected of her. But then a new girl joins the group and she isn't fitting in; she wants to go home. What happens next will turn life as Amy knows it on its head. Freya has gone to great effort to feel like a 'normal person' and if you saw her with her young son you'd think she was an everyday mum. But then a girl goes missing and
Michael
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
New Zealand born, Melbourne based author J.P. Pomare has been on a roll lately after his debut Call Me Evie won the Nagio Marsh award for best first novel. He has now followed up with a story about a deep underbelly of society and those who are apart of it and what happens to those who escape. Based loosely on the family who was a well known Australian cult who acquired children and imprisoned and brainwashed them The Clearing never fails to impress.

The narrative begins with a young NSW girl who
Joanna
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You may think that Call Me Evie would be hard to outdo but J.P. Pomare has risen to the challenge with his new book. It only took me 90 minutes to get through - a true page turner! It was completely enthralling, creepy and had many twists that I genuinely didnt see coming! ...more
bookswithpaulette
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
The second book from J.P Pomare. If you liked his first book this one is a massive step up very polished and grabbed my attention very quickly.

This book is centred around Freya, shes a little paranoid about security and overprotective of her son. Living a secluded life on the outskirts of town she has a guard dog, fenced in the property, kitted out bunker you get the picture. As we get to know Freya and her story..she has very good reason to be on edge. Especially when someone is watching her.

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

I knew I would always be burdened with the past.

It has been quite the year for J.P. Pomare, the author of Call Me Evie and In the Clearing. Pomare won the Nagio Marsh award for best first novel. This is a brilliant accolade for the New Zealand born author, who now resides in Melbourne. In the Clearing is an extremely polished thriller that will keep you guessing from the moment you open this addictive novel to the very last word.

The construction of
Julie Garner
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, crime-thriller
I received an ARC of this book.
I thought that Call Me Evie was a standout for a debut author. In The Clearing steps it up further and sucks you right in, straight away. I don't know how he has done it, but J.P. Pomare's second book is outstanding.
From the very first page you get a sense of what the book is about...The Family. It feels like a fictionalised book about this Victorian cult. It takes you prisoner, along with the kids, and keeps a hold of you, tight. Adrienne wants her family of 12
Book Bandit
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of Call Me Evie and after reading the synopsis of this was worried I wouldn't like it but OH MY GOD the twists, the pace, the story! I loved it.

I've read a few books lately that are too hard to review without giving anything away so I'll tread lightly. Freya lives in the bush with her needy son. She is super conscious about security and privacy because she has a pyscho ex and lost her first son years ago. Amy on the other hand is a youngish girl who has a weird
Hayley (meet_me_at_the_library)
This book is BRILLIANT! I was hooked from the very first page! The prologue is utterly chilling and perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the book.

The story is told from the POV of two womenAmy and Freya. Amy has only ever known life in the Clearing. She knows what to do to please her elders, and how to make sure life in the community remains happy and calm. When a new young girl joins the group, everything is turned upside down. The new girl doesnt want to stay with the group, and Amys life
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eerie, chilling and suspenseful. This one kept me turning the pages until I found out how it would end.

Amy has only ever know what life is like in the Clearing. As we come to know, the Clearing, is a community of people living together, who must obey their elders. Freya is living a very security conscious life with her son, bordering on paranoia. Then a young person goes missing from nearby and someone from Freyas past shows up that changes her world.

Pomare weaves the stories of Amy and Freya
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this. First half is tense, second half is twisty. I like it a lot more than his first novel.
Theresa Smith
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-bingo-2020
I dont read an awful lot of thrillers as I tend to quickly begin to suffer from thriller fatigue. As a consequence, Im fairly selective on which thrillers I read and the timing of them. All of the stars seem to have aligned with this one though. In the Clearing turned out to be a book I couldnt put down.

You never escape a cult.

Often after having read a thriller, the most common thing youll hear is: That twist! I cant say that with this one though, because In the Clearing has as many twists as a
Katie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wowie!! What an incredible read!!

I loved JP Pomare first novel, Call me Evie, and to be honest i was worried this one wouldn't be as good. I felt like i put too many expectations on it. I honestly hate when i do that!!
Anyway, The Clearing is a thrilling ride, that's for sure!! I have heard about all kinds of cults through out the years and JP in depth research didn't disappoint!!

**Please note though- there are TRIGGER warnings in this story of child abuse, neglect and kidnapping. **

There are
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
Crisp, atmospheric, taut, and terrifying. Wonderfully written.

Excellent thriller vibe but DNF at 100 pages for me bc of child sexual abuse. Skipped ahead to the end to see how things work out and I couldnt see that end coming, so if you can handle tough content like that (I cant), the twist is a ripper.
Renelle Sharpe
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! Absolutely loved it and kept me guessing right to the end!!
barberandbel
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have to start with wow! I am in awe of how brilliant, maddening, shocking and enthralling this novel is. I am rarely at a loss for words, but this book really has to speak for itself. J.P. Pomare created a world almost effortlessly where I instantly the felt pain, fear, solitude and desperation of the characters. I read in hopes of being transported in hopes of feeling something, and this is one novel that inexplicably left me feeling like I was standing next to Freya and Amy experiencing ...more
Pile By the Bed
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
JP Pomare follows up his well received and award winning debut Call me Evie with a novel that takes as its inspiration the true and very troubling story of The Family. The Family was an Australian cult led by a charismatic woman called Anne Hamilton-Byrne. The cult set up in the Australian bush and acquired children through their members to inculcate in their particular mix of religion. JP Pomare uses a barely fictionalised version of The Family as the basis of this twisty, disturbing thriller.
Teagan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy moly Guacamole! An incredible page turner from go to wo. I could not put this book down! I have fallen hard and fast for this new thriller novel and boy oh boy did it not disappoint.

The books is based on the lives of Amy and Feyre, one finds herself in the centre of a cult, the other haunted by something the reader is not quite sure about at first. The fast pace of this book doesn't disappoint though and quickly their lives unravel and the truths of the past and present become laid bare
Katie King
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rural Australia is about to get a lot darker. J.P. Pomare's 'In The Clearing' holds readers captive in a world of cultish indoctrination and past traumas. When a young girl goes missing, residents Amy and Freya realise their community may not be quite what it seems. Call Me Evie fans are getting the breath of fresh air they've been pining for.
Jackie Robinson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I dont like books where people are victims of framing or gaslighting. I understand why it was important to the storyline but it was probably a bit too much for me.
However I truly enjoyed this and was literally on the edge of my seat for the day it took me to read. This will definitely be a big seller!
Ann Hamer
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book so much I read it in a day. I think it is better than Call Me Evie. I enjoyed the twists and turns and the narrative voice. Couldnt wait to see who did what. The cult aspect was also fascinating. Liked the oppressive weather that adds to the atmosphere and that omnipresent sense of Bush fires which is so real. ...more
Katie Clews
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an epic read ! I loved Call me Evie released last year .. this is next level . Very cleverly written with twists and turns that I didnt see coming .. 5 stars 🌟 from me !!! Highly recommended ...more
Jessica
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I knew this book would be fantastic and I was right. It had me hooked from the beginning. Absolutely loved it.
Eleanor Whitwell
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well that was one hell of a ride. :o
Cass Moriarty
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
J.P. Pomares debut crime thriller Call Me Evie was good, but his next book In the Clearing (Hachette 2020) is even better, on a whole other level. This is a truly page-turning and unputdownable story that will keep you on edge as the plot thickens, the tensions increase and the stakes become higher for all of the main characters. About half-way through, there is a clever and unexpected twist that recalibrated my thinking about all I had read so far, and had me turning back to the beginning to ...more
Kt
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forget Alfred Hitchcock, J.P. Pomare is the new master of suspense and plot twists!

Amy has only ever known life in the Clearing. Shes doesnt know its a cult, but sees it as her family. A place where she knows whats expected of her; where her and the other children behave and obey or else; and where the Queen (Adrienne) is protected at all costs. Freya is a single mum to seven year old Billy. She lives in a small town, but someone is watching her, invading her personal space and causing her dark
ClaireJ
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Now this book is what I call a fantastic psychological thriller! From the very first chapter I was completely hooked. It was so full of suspense that I found I was holding my breath at a lot of points throughout the story.

This kind of book is always hard to review as it is difficult to explain a lot without dropping major spoilers but here is a small overview.

It follows two main characters Freya and Amy. Freya is a very over protective mother of her young son Billy. She lives a secluded life
Lisa Jordan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Told in two pov's, this psychological thriller was right up my alley.
I love stories with weird cults in them. This one has children that are all white blonde (either by dna or by peroxide) and is based on a real life Aussie cult called 'The Family'.
There is much to love about this book. The storytelling was excellent, as was the construction of the plot.
There are no spoilers here from me, but suffice to say if you read 'Call Me Evie' and enjoyed it, you will likely be blown away by this
Kimmy C
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Christian The Wife And The Widow White has endorsed After reading page one, you wont be able to stop, its certainly an inducement for me to buy this book. And it certainly puts a very Australian slant to the insiders and outsiders of cults, evoking memories of The Family who were notorious decades ago, but adding in the heart pounding child abduction and double crossing, and moving across events in the main characters life. I certainly enjoyed reading this - not to the extent that I wasnt ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Strangers We Know
  • The Mothers
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Riptides
  • You Don't Know Me
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • Maggie's Going Nowhere
  • Below Deck
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Silver
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • The Girl in the Painting
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • Jane In Love
  • The Drover’s Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson
  • The Weekend
J. P. Pomare was raised on a horse farm in rural New Zealand where he lived until he was eighteen before deciding to travel. After years abroad, including a twelve months living in North America, he settled in Melbourne, Australia and has lived there since.

His debut novel Call Me Evie was released to critical acclaim and won the 2019 Ngaio Marsh Award for best first novel. In The Clearing is his