Start by marking “All the Pretty Things” as Want to Read:
All the Pretty Things

All the Pretty Things

For fans of Sadie and The Cheerleaders comes an all new thriller about a boy who turns up dead under suspicious circumstances and the one girl who may be the key to solving the mystery of his untimely death.

For Ivy, summer means roller-coaster season, spinning cotton candy at the Fabuland amusement park, and hanging out with her best friend, Morgan. But this summer is diff
Published March 17th 2020 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about All the Pretty Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Pretty Things

Start your review of All the Pretty Things
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well, I want to name my reads with Bryan Adams’ “So far so good”album but unfortunately I name them with my favorite U2 song and “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”

This book seemed like a promising mystery. One young boy, Ethan who is also staff member, suffering from Down Syndrome found dead at an amusement park by his coworker Morgan.

After the incident, Ivy, our heroine, daughter of park’s owner, returns back from her holiday at NC and she finds out her friend climbed and hid herself
Chelsea Humphrey
Well this is tough, because I loved the premise behind All the Pretty Things and it had some truly creepy moments, but the whodunnit is quite obvious from the early stages of the story. That, coupled with the stilted dialogue and dads who say "Ummm...?!" at the beginning of every sentence truly wore me down. I'm not the target audience for this book, so perhaps this is what the teens are into these days, and if it sounds interesting to you then I recommend trying this one out for yourself.

*Many
megs_bookrack
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

Going into All the Pretty Things, I had some reservations. I had heard mixed reviews and wasn't sure what sort of experience I would have.

Unfortunately, not great, although I've had worse.

First off, the synopsis describes this book as an 'all new thriller about a boy who turns up dead under suspicious circumstances.'

So, obviously, with that description in mind, I am expecting a Thriller or Mystery.

I would not classify this as a Thriller, nor a Mystery, and the death of the boy, wh
JenacideByBibliophile
Actual Rating - 2.5 Stars

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Random House Children’s, via Netgalley for an honest review.

Wow.

I mean…

…what the actual f**k?

description

There were about a dozen different ways I saw this story going, but the way it DID go?

Wow.

This lovely little tale is told by Ivy, the daughter of the owner of the Fabuland amusement park. After her grandparents had successfully opened multiple chains of their popular doughnut shop, her father decided to think bigger and pur
Alexa
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
This one is a bit of a slow burn, for fans of "slice of life" YA contemporary who like messy characters and bits of suspense. I was drawn in initially by the "set at a small town amusement park" angle, which indeed is the book's strong suit. Fabuland felt so real, and I love all the weird quirks of the world.

Even though it starts off with a death of one of the park's employees, the book isn't a typical "someone died and I must investigate!" thriller because Ivy's drive is to get to the bottom of
Wendi Lee
Ivy comes back from vacation to find her small town in turmoil. An acquaintance and fellow Fabuland co-worker has died, and Ivy's best friend, Morgan, had the misfortune of finding his body. Even worse, Morgan has barricaded herself on one of Fabuland's rides after hours, and is refusing to get down.

It's up to Ivy to get Morgan down from the ride, and then solve the mystery of what really happened to their co-worker, Ethan.

The atmosphere in this mystery is exactly right. Fabuland (which happen
Stacey-Lea
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
A whole lot of yikes.

This was incredibly predictable, even with the attempted two 'mystery' storylines, and so uninteresting - I only finished this book because I was reading it through audio on 2x speed and I apprently like to waste my time.

Our lead character Ivy has no depth, along with every other person we encounter. Also, I always find it hard to believe when a female doesn't have at least some kind of intuition surrounding potential sexual/abusive tendencies in someone around them (attemp
M.  [storme reads a lot]

The setting of the story is awesome, and it works well. This entire book is pretty much set in Fabuland Amusement park. I would have loved this story even more if the creepy factor was what I anticipated, but it still worked since most of the scenes were set in the park.

So, the whole mystery solving this was kind of lame. I enjoy Nancy Drew and all of those things, but this was pretty bad. I thought it was rather silly, and I did not enjoy this part of the story at all.

Also, it seems like the v
Elaine
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of All The Pretty Things.

I was intrigued by the premise (and the cover! Can I say how much I love this cover?) and excited when my request was approved.

But, then my excitement waned.

This isn't so much a thriller than it is about a young woman struggling to come to terms with the harsh realities of her life and family.

* Minor spoilers ahead *

When a young, mentally disabled man who works at her dad's amusement park is found dead, Ivy plays Columbo and
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of ALL THE PRETTY THINGS by Emily Arsenault in exchange for my honest review.***

When Ivy’s best friend Morgan finds the body of a special needs young man, the teen ends up in a psych hospital leaving Ivy a cryptic message about Ethan’s death. Ivy, determined to help her friend and solve the mystery, questions her coworkers at Fabuland, the her father’s amusement park.

Ivy is a good kid, hard working, dedicated to her father, loyal t
Lost in Book Land
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hello!

It's a new week! I am losing track of my days a little bit but it is a new week and I am hoping for some exciting things this week. I am reading a lot of books right now and playing a lot of video games (mostly animal crossing but my husband and I just finished playing Horizon Zero Dawn the other night). I have also been watching a lot of television and movies (I watched Onward the weekend it hit Disney Plus with my husband, and I loved it, I also just finished watching Cheer on Netflix an
Chelsea
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I was really exited to read this. Unfortunately, it was another disappointing "thriller. It was pretty obvious just three chapters in that the dad was a creep. I still don't understand how the main character didn't notice or just pretended it wasn't a problem. She also seemed emotionless throughout the whole book and I don't get why, considering what her friend was going through. Nothing much happened and the writing felt really stilted and the dialogue was cringey.
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Random House/Delacorte Press. Ivy has always been the boss’s daughter, first at her father’s doughnut chain, and now at Fabuland, an amusement park full of roller coasters, cotton candy, and princess parades. Everything changes one summer when her best friend, Morgan, discovers a body and ends up in the psych ward the next day. Everyone is convinced that Ethan fell from the bridge on his way home from Fabuland, but Morgan and Ivy a ...more
Donna
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
ALL THE PRETTY THINGS tries to be this intense mystery, like it shows in the blurb. But it really does fall flat. The build-up to the big reveal is rather lackluster. Instead of tension it provides uncomfortable awkwardness as Ivy tries to find answers in all the wrong, and obtuse, ways. And the secondary plotline isn’t surprising, leaving me going ‘duh’ at the end of the book. And being generally skeeved out on behalf of Morgan.

Ivy comes across as rather wooden and lacking her own personality.
Lindsay
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
It seems I side with the majority in saying that this wasn't what it proclaimed to be. After reading the summary, the reader expects this to be a mystery set in an amusement park, and the story is that to a small degree. What the summary leaves out is everything else. How Ivy spends the whole book asking fellow amusement park workers questions regarding Ethan's death. How much time is dedicated to Ivy working at Fabuland and thinking. How there is never a mystery like the synopsis claims. The au ...more
Morgan (youarethelibrarian)
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seriously, Goodreads, where are the half stars? I would rate this one 4.5 stars.
This book was not what I was expecting, but in the best possible way. There is a mystery, and yet it isn't the focal point of the novel despite the main character thinking it is for most of the book. In the end, though, Ivy comes to terms with something she has turned a blind eye on for far too long. The book also did not end like I was expecting, however the ambiguity of what happens after the book's pages end is m
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who want an easy mystery
Shelves: mystery
*** Note: I received e-copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to PRHGlobal for free copy. ***

All the Pretty Things was YA small town mystery that revolved around Fabuland amusement park, Ethan’s death and reason behind Morgan’s silence. It was about workplace harassment, health risks at amusement park, motivated perception and ignorance.

Mystery behind Morgan’s state was clear. I could figure out what might have happened to her. Within fe
Cesar
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 stars

As someone who has read Sadie and The Cheerleaders, seeing those two compared to All the Pretty Things is like comparing apples to apple seeds. Especially with a lackluster mystery AtPT has when it made it obvious who the culprit was.

Where this book fails is trying to make a 'whodunit' mystery. That is the biggest issue I and a lot of other people have with the overall book. All you have to do is read 20 pages and the culprit is already revealed. With that revealed, it makes reading the r
dumplin’
Mar 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
i’m gonna be real i skimmed this but in my defense i was like ten chapters in and bored out of my mf mind
thi
Mar 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
1/5
- casually triple checked that this was supposed to be a thriller because there’s nothing thrilling about it
- barely anything happens
- Skip this
Lu
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

TW: death, overdose, sexual harassment and assault, suicide thoughts

Ivy Cork is the daughter of the owner of Fabuland, the amusement park in her city and during summer she usually takes care of the spinning cotton candy machine and she hangs out with her best friend Morgan. But when Morgan finds one of their former classmate and coworker, Ethan, dead, everything changes and Morgan has a mental breakdown, refusing to talk to Ivy.
Joanna Bennett
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

When I saw the blurb for this and it said for fans of Sadie and The Cheerleaders, I was sold! Two books I really enjoyed so I wasn’t going to to pass up on the opportunity to request this. It did keep my interest throughout but it was lacking in a few areas.

I’ll start off with the positives. The one thing I like about mysteries/thrillers is that you don’t have to connect with the characters. The book is mostly plot driven. Thi
Tabatha
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of All the Pretty Things!
I dove into this book without reading the description first, because I wanted to really experience the excitement of the story. I will say that I absolutely love this book! The storyline and plot I found to be extremely attention grabbing .and enticing. I found myself not wanting to put this book down at all, and when I was finished reading the entire book, I found myself sad that it had ended.
I gave this book four star
Missy
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #20 read in 2020

OᐯᗴᖇᐯIᗴᗯ: Ivy’s family owns a neighborhood amusement park and she is her dad’s right-hand-girl. When her best Morgan finds the body of a classmate and coworker on the property, Ivy can’t be convinced that it was just an accident. So she sets off to find out what really happened and what everyone is hiding.

ᗯᕼᗩT ᗯᗩᔕ ᘜᖇᗴᗩT:
◇ This went a completely different way than I expected.
◇ There were a lot of side-stories and secrets that didn’t lead to the ultimate answer as to what ha
Katlyn Ulinski
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback.

Rating: 3

This book is about a girl who investigates the death of a young boy, Ethan, who died near her dad's amusement park. She is also trying to figure out what's going on with her best friend Morgan, who's been acting weird and flaky lately.

I enjoyed this book. It was very simple, quick, and well done. I really enjoyed the description of the park and it really felt like it could be a real park somewhere. It was vivid with ride descript
Cathy
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
So...huh.

The "mystery" of this book was glaringly obvious from the get go for me. So really I was just reading it to prove myself right, and was disappointed when I was. It wasn't mysterious enough for me.

I also didn't connect to a single character, except maybe one. Who was dead for the whole book (and this isn't a spoiler, it states right at the beginning that they're dead). So, yeah.

I usually like the occasional thriller, but this one was both trying too hard and not hard enough at the same t
this honestly wasn’t the book i thought it was going to be. there could have been a lot that wasn’t in the book and it could have been a lot more suspenseful. i think i actually enjoyed about half of this book. half of it was boring and a lot of the protagonist just doing stuff. it also took me almost a week to read, so that could also affect my feelings for it. the beginning and the end were the best parts, in my opinion. there was too much with the amusement park, i think.

with that said, the w
Cristina
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
These days my love for YA has really dwindled, and I've found myself reaching for adult thrillers and mysteries the majority of the time. But when I see a YA book marketed as a thriller, with a fantastic cover and an intriguing premise, I go all in!

Books that take forever to get going, are a major pet peeve of mine. So I was really excited when 5 pages in, one of Ivy's co-worker's has turned up dead, and her best friend is missing. The story starts off quickly, but then kind of falters from tha
Krissy
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, ebooks
This was a YA mystery/thriller novel. The main character, Ivy, starts asking around after an employee from Fabuland dies suddenly. Fabuland is an amusement park where she works, which is also owned by her dad. At first I wasn't very sure about this book. It was a little slow, and detached. Then suddenly I felt myself getting more into it. It was pretty obvious for me what was going on, but it was still a fairly enjoyable read. I have found myself gravitating farther away from YA, but those who t ...more
Zoë ☆
Wow this was a ride.... I didn't much care about the amusement park setting, but the mystery kept me reading! I wasn't disappointed but I also wasn't blown away by the reveal.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Forgotten Garden
  • Frozen Beauty
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Some Kind of Animal
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Admission
  • They Wish They Were Us
  • Mayhem
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • The Guardians
  • The Lucky Ones
I haven’t had a terribly interesting life, so I won’t share too many details. But the highlights include:

• When I was a preschooler and a kindergartner, I had a lazy eye and I was Connecticut’s “Miss Prevent Blindness,” appearing on pamphlets and television urging parents to get their kids’ eyes checked. I wore an eye patch and clutched a blonde doll wearing a similar patch. I imagine it was all r