Start by marking “Tara Road” as Want to Read:
Tara Road

Tara Road

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  72,129 ratings  ·  2,080 reviews
With each new book, Maeve Binchy continues a remarkable progression of sales and audience growth, reaching fans of all ages and backgrounds with her matchless wit, warmth, and sheer storytelling magic. "Tara Road," her first full-length novel since "The Glass Lake," again shows her incomparable understanding of the human heart in the tale of two women, one from Ireland, on ...more
Published July 18th 2000 by Dell (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tara Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tara Road

·  72,129 ratings  ·  2,080 reviews

Start your review of Tara Road
Angela
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book came to me in such an unusual way that it is impossible to judge its contents without noting the story. I was riding the subway to work in NYC when I was in my early twenties, when a little, old, Chinese man tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up from my book and he asked me, in broken English, if I liked to read. I was taken aback by not only being touched by a stranger on the train, a no-no for regular NYC commuters, but by his seemingly random question. I gave him a quick nod and tu ...more
Angela
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My mom and sister and I refer to this as the "smell the milk" book. Sometimes you open the fridge and wonder what that horrible smell is, and you open the milk bottle and nearly pass out. But it's so bad someone else HAS to experience it to, so you ask whoever's nearby to smell the milk, too.

I picked this book up in a grocery store in Shannon, Ireland. I was hoping for a fun, light read during my vacation. It *was* fun and sort of light, but not in the way I expected.

I've truly enjoyed some of M
Melindam
Ria lives in Dublin, Ireland, in a beautiful, Victorian house surrounded by loving family and friends. She has great kids and is happily married -or at least she thinks so- to hotshot estate agent, Danny Lynch. But the day comes when Danny suddenly drops a bomb onto Ria's happily-ever-after. He is leaving her for a young girl, whom he also got pregnant. Ria's world is completely shattered and she does not really know how to cope with it all, when a chance phone call from America starts her on an ...more
Suzanne
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
It turns out Tara Road wasn’t a re-read, I think Quentins is the one I am after. This was typical Maeve fair. Family, relationships, infidelity, supporting those in your community.

Ria is a young wholesome woman who meets Danny Lynch and this is the relationship we watch as children come and the building and renovation of a lovely home on Tara Road. This home is always bustling with the various characters that come and go.

Ria and Marilyn perform an unlikely house swap for three months over the
Michelle
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Binchy is one of my favorite authors and I think this is my favorite of her books. Great for a vacation read. She always wraps her stories up in nice little bows at the end, which may not generally be what would happen in reality, but I think that's why I like it - she's good at reminding people that things always work out in the end. Also, she has really strong female characters, or ones who start out weak but find strength, usually through other great women characters, which is always somethin ...more
Colleen
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Maeve Binchy and not my last! SO glad I have finally tried her. I've had this book sitting on my bookshelf for 20 years. Ugh! So entertaining with real-life stories and characters I could totally understand, relate to, and aspire to.
Cynthia
Oct 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Obsidian
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I have been wanting to read this book forever since this book refers to characters that are in later Binchy novels. How I wish that I had stayed away from it. This book is 656 pages. Due to a nasty cold plus fever I had the past couple of days I wondered if perhaps I was being too harsh about this book. Then I re-read some passages and decided that no I was not. I think the biggest thing for me is that I cannot believe this was once upon a time selected as book as the month by Oprah Winfrey. I a ...more
Maureen
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is another wonderful story from Maeve Binchy. It is my favorite of hers.
It is the heartfelt tale of two women of different backgrounds, experiencing life changing drama.

Ria lives on Tara Road in Dublin,and has lived a very happy life according to her. Out of the blue her husband Danny informs her that he is leaving her and the children to live with his pregnant girlfriend.

Marilyn lives in the United States, by chance she telephones the home of Danny Lynch. She had previously met him in Irel
Educating Drew
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, romance
I agreed to read Tara Road simply because the binding of the novel looked worn. I thought to myself, "how terrible of a book could it be if others had loved it with marked creases." As soon as I picked it up, part of me began regretting the decision. I could not find any redeeming qualities.
The novel begins with Ria, a young Irish girl talking to her sister about love and relationships. This, I imagine is used as a backdrop to illustrate the naivete of Ria (short for Maria) in the land of love.
Cyndy Aleo
May 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: women-s-fiction
My first introduction to he writing of Maeve Binchy was her novel Circle of Friends, after which I read The Glass Lake. When I saw that Tara Road was chosen as an Oprah selection, I thought it would be even better.

::: Girl Meets Boy :::

Ria is a pretty if unspectacular girl. She lives with her widowed mother and older sister, takes a secretarial course, and takes a position at a real estate agency, where she meets the gorgeous and ambitious Rosemary and the dashing Danny Lynch. In real life, Dann
Deb
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tara Rd

I enjoyed this big fat Irish family tale.

I have a paperback and this is a fat little book at 648 pages. I've had this book on my shelves for a good long time. I don't know if it was its compact but stout size that seemed daunting or the fact that I never could get a satisfactory understand of what this was about enough to press me into reading it. Maybe because there is so much to this book it may be hard to say it all but I hope to give enough facts myself to help prospective readers
Lisa
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, top-author
4.5 stars. This book is big but I enjoyed every moment of it!
There's nothing new here - Maeve's style is very distinctive and always follows the same pattern - but I love that pattern!
It's an epic family drama with laughter, tears and ordinary life stuff...kids grow up and make choices and become adults. There are consequences and that's that.
No twists and no subterfuge so get your jammies on, light a fire and curl up with this book...it will warm your heart.
(A small shout out to all the little
Iluzija O. Istini
A friend left me this book after she finished it while passing through the city I was living in.

About two weeks ago, since I was missing her, I decided to take it on.

Amie, girl, what the hell? XD
Patricia Devereux
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, as a book snob, I kind of look down on authors who are wildly popular. But I had heard of Binchy and, hey, "Tara Road" was in the one-for-one paperback exchange at my library's book sale, so I picked it up.

I was instantly sucked in to the characters' complex relationships, their longings, divorce and romance struggles, motivations, eforts to better themselves.

The dual stories of the two divorcees on both sides of the Atlantic who exchange homes was a great plot device. I was fa
Swanbender2001
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Maeve Binchy and it will not be my last. The story starts with Ria, living in Dublin and married to the charismatic Danny Linch. She believes nothing could be better about her life except to have a third child until the time comes to discuss this possibility with her happily married husband. Only to discover he is having a third child with another woman! Ria’s life is turned inside out and upside down and so are the lives of her young son Brian and 15 year old Annie. Just when ...more
Booknblues
It has been quite some time since I have read a Maeve Binchy book, but I remembered her wonderful Irish stories about human relationships and emotions and the realm of goodness and the sorrow of misunderstandings. I also remembered I should have a box of tissues close by and sure enough Tara Road proved true to form.

Ria Johnson a somewhat awkward and insecure young secretary meets incredibly handsome Danny Lynch at work and they fall in love and move into their dream house on Tara Road and have
Stephanie
May 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rachel
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This...was an absolute waste of my time. When I think of the time I could've spent studying, there's a sense of emptiness in me that Maeve Binchy has stolen a day or two of my life that I will never get back. No, no...it's more than that...it's like a sense of betrayal even. Maeve was supposed to be funny. She was supposed to be funny and witty, like she was when she wrote Aches and Pains. This is one of the reasons one should never go reading a book expecting anything. In retrospect, I thought ...more
Lizabeth
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
If I could, I would give it a 3.5 stars. I liked some of the themes presented in this book: abuse, friendship, commitment, love, children. I did not like the soap opera type of story. My husband asked what I was reading and I told him confidently that it would fit right in as a Lifetime movie. I don't normally read that type of literature (or watch Lifetime movies, well, except perhaps at Christmastime!). I was drawn, however, to Binchy's writing. She writes very well and the story lines are com ...more
LISA
Apr 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
OK maybe it was just my mood, but I was bored to tears ... I listened to more than half, all the while thinking "I have to stop this" but I continued hoping somehow I would even care ... I must have spent 7 hours or more listening! OMG.
I am so glad I stopped & couldn't care less what happened to thet characters. However, on a positive note, if one were really interested in Ireland, it's people and such, perhaps one could enjoy One Star's Worth here !
L.  (Thou Art An Artless Greasy Tallow-Catch)
I gave it the old 50 Pages try and that's all I'm giving this book. Nothing happened for those fifty pages. Absolutely nothing. The fortune in your cookie has more emotional impact. Donald Trump's tweets have more narrative. The list of side effects for Humira are more riveting.
Dem
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Review to follow
Bettie

Watched the film - chucked the book!
Icewineanne
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-fiction
Such a wonder heartwarming, addictive story. My favorite of all of the Maeve Binchy novels. 10 stars
Jules (jules.likes.to.read)
I really enjoy reading books written by Maeve Binchy. No complaints so far. I recommend her books
Glenna Pritchett
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was positively wallowing in Tara Road, in the gorgeous house, the lives of the huge cast of characters, all their personal dramas and foibles, some great to hate and some to love -- just a great, delicious, mesmerizing soap opera. Maeve Binchy was blessed with amazing imagination and storytelling ability.

It's a fun book for the long, cold days of winter. Get this book, a blanket, and your favorite beverage, then let it snow!
Sarah Nelson
May 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Possibly I’ve read too many of Binchy’s books. Though small details are different in each, they are all the same. A cheating husband, an abusive husband, a fancy woman/smart single businesswoman, two best friends with secrets.
I like Binchy’s writing style but the sameness of the stories has gotten really old.
Suzanne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good read! My first of Maeve Binchy, and I'll read more.
smoreads
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's official, I'm on a summer 2018 Binchy Binge.
2017 Reading Chal...: Tara Road by Maeve Binchy 1 13 Nov 22, 2015 12:57PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Tara Road by Maeve Binchy 3 17 Mar 21, 2015 07:23PM
Maeve Binchy 11 71 Sep 02, 2013 06:45PM
I can't stand her! 39 370 Jun 22, 2013 09:42AM
The movie adaptation. 9 106 Jan 31, 2013 10:59AM

• Where the Heart Is
  • Jewel
  • The Deep End of the Ocean (Cappadora Family, #1)
  • Black and Blue
  • Open House
  • We Were the Mulvaneys
  • Icy Sparks
  • Midwives
  • The Joy Luck Club (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 6 Reader)
  • Here on Earth
  • Memoirs of a Geisha (Penguin Readers)
  • A Virtuous Woman
  • Songs in Ordinary Time
  • River, Cross My Heart
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin