Start by marking “Little Free Library” as Want to Read:
Little Free Library

Little Free Library

Sharing stories we love with one another is one of the most magical forms of connection there is. This is especially so for Meigan, who develops an unexpected friendship with a mysterious borrower of books from her Little Free Library.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Published April 8th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Free Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Free Library

Start your review of Little Free Library
Maureen
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars *

Upon setting up her Little Free Library, Meigan develops an unexpected friendship with a mysterious book borrower.

Meigan mounted the post outside her house, complete with shelves, and sheltered from the weather, painting it in pretty colours, and adorning it with pebbles she’d picked from Lake Superior during the summer, and so her ‘Little Free Library’ came into existence with instructions to take a book - return a book.

However, one mystery borrower decides to leave other items of i
karen
If you can bring me more such books, I will leave you every scrap of gold I can find.

a perfect, adorable, FREE short story. the whole time i was reading it, i was braced for it to slant off into tweetown while still hoping it would be horror, since it is essentially the same set-up as my all-time favorite Amazing Stories episode:

because we're all going through a thing right now and everyone's a little on edge, i'll spill the tone-beans THIS ONE TIME so you know what you're getting into: it is no
carol.
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it

For "Little Free Library" by Naomi Kritzer, however long this entry lasts.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kind of an "awww" sort of fantasy short story, plus books!! I love stories about books! And also stories about (view spoiler). Free to read online on Tor.com.

Meigan builds a "Little Free Library" from a kit, decorates it, sets it up in her front yard, and puts a bunch of her old books in it for people to trade and share. All goes well until someone empties out the LFL completely. Meigan's a little miffed, but shrugs it off and leaves a note to them to ne
Nataliya
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: N
This is a cute and charming story about a quite unexpected connection formed through a front yard ‘little free library’. The best part of it was the overdrive my imagination went in trying to picture what happens next.

Short and sweet. 3.5 stars.

———————

My Hugo and Nebula Awards Reading Project 2021: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Mayim de Vries
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
"We have begun constructing a ballista, in secret. Please send me more books."

Yes, you do want to read it.
Mitticus
Short story about a woman setting a Little Free Library and an interesting borrower. I got enthralled by the story while reading it.

But... What happen next?
too short :(

Here in Tor
GoldGato
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Little front yard libraries have popped up throughout the United States and they are a joy to behold. Given my huge book collection, I have never taken or exchanged any books but have instead admired the craftsmanship involved. Some folks really get involved with the presentation and/or the specific items.

VTdGbf.jpg

dAj4cS.jpg

So it’s an optimal time for a fantastical Tor short story from Naomi Kritzer to bring these embassies of goodwill to light.

Meigan is a Little Free Librarian, having built her book hutc
Amber
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good read about a girl named Meigan who created a little free book library and her correspondence with a mysterious book borrower who she befriends. Check this fantasy short story out here at this link and enjoy!

Melki
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this Tor.com short about a mysterious book borrower and the even more mysterious gifts left in exchange.

Highly recommended!

Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
4,5 stars

What a fantastic short story! It started out pretty "normal" but ended up really surprising me, and in a good way :) It's even hard to describe the plot without giving anything away, but let's just say it evolves around one little free library.

The idea was interesting and I haven't seen before, and I truly enjoyed the humour :) If you like reading short stories, give it a go!
Zack Jay
2.5/5 cute, that's it lmao ...more
Stephen
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming. I'm building one of these to encourage the neighborhood elementary school kids I teach to read through the summer since they missed so much of school this year and our local library remains closed. Library day at school was always a highlight for many. If it results in a portal to another land, all the better! ;) ...more
Silvana
I know some friends who have this little library and now I want one too. Except that nobody in my neighborhood want to read. Or do they? There are those kids who like to tease my dogs. Hmm.

Wow, that's totally not a review. Ugh just go read it. Short and sweet.
chvang
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming and whimisical. Another fairy tale for bibliophiles. If you've ever given out books and like to imagine they'll be enjoyed and of use, this story is for you. ...more
jenny✨
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
OK SO I NEED THIS TO BE A FULL-LENGTH NOVEL

(view spoiler)

Also, this was coincidentally the second Naomi Kritzer short story I've read this week, and I really liked both of them. (The other was called "The Thing About Ghost Stories," where an academic folklorist collecting ghost stories comes to terms with he
The Cats’ Mother
This was a cute little short story, available for free on tor.com. What reader doesn’t love a story about books? I followed the link on my friend Maureen’s review but am too technologically challenged to know how to add it myself 🙀

When she sets up a Little Free Library near her home, Meigan is initially disappointed when someone takes all the books, but is undeterred and replaces them, including a note asking them not to do it again. Next time she checks, she finds a book has been replaced with
elizabeth jovena
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
so delightful and sweet (but really really short)
Roslyn
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nearly a 5 ...just too short, and felt a bit like a prologue. But it's charming and beguiling and I do want to know what happens next. ...more
Rebecca Crunden
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Oh my goodness, I really liked this one. A little free library becomes a way to correspond with a mysterious, grateful seeker of books. J'adore!
Peter Tillman
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Story link: https://www.tor.com/2020/04/08/little...

Clever short story about just what it says, and really, you don't need to know anything more. But it comes to an abrupt, unsatisfying ending! Weak 3 stars. A little disappointing, from one of my favorite new writers.
Netanella
This is an awesome, feel-good story about a woman who sets up a Little Free Library and the magical creature that she meets through the offerings he leaves behind in exchange for the books. I wished it were longer.
Andria Potter
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another favorite find, free on tor.com. I want a sequel please! ❤️❤️❤️ 5 🌟!!!!
Elena Linville
It was a cute short story about a woman who puts a Little Free Library in her front yard and ends up with a surprise in exchange for some of her books. But other than that, there isn't much substance to this story, and most of the mysteries are left unexplained by the end of it. I would have loved a little more resolution than the ending we got. ...more
Kate
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
A sweet, lovely story. I've never seen a little free library, myself, and I'm sure something so pure and good wouldn't be found around here. ...more
Punk
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming short story about a woman who puts up a Little Free Library and makes a connection with a mysterious book borrower. Delightful, with a hint of danger.

Available at Tor.com.
Prabhjot Kaur
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely short story that was in fact too short but I enjoyed it all the same. It has a mysterious and eerie feel to it. Now, all I can think of is what happens when the egg hatches and when would the egg hatch? Years, months, weeks or days!

I need more.

4 stars
Dusan Prvacki
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh I absolutely loved this, although it's very short. Little Free Libraries with fantasy books? Where can I find one, so I can move to that town/country?

Except for the amazing setting, our main character encounters a mysterious fantasy character who basically becomes her pen pal and she gets to learn a new fantasy story while exchanging books and letters, every day and bit by bit.

You never get to know what really happens in "pen pal's" world and the ending is incomplete, yet very satisfying and
Nathaniel
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I want more of this story. Like, a whole novel based around this story. I enjoyed it so much that it's almost cruel to have it as a short story. The ending alone was basically a cliffhanger. Agh, now what? Naomi Kritzer is a fantastic storyteller. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »