Start by marking “Your Symphony of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are” as Want to Read:
Your Symphony of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are

Your Symphony of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are

Why you are a different you at different times and how that’s both normal and healthy

• Reveals that each of us is made up of multiple selves, any of which can come to the forefront in different situations

• Offers examples of healthy multiple selves from psychology, neuroscience, pop culture, literature, and ancient cultures and traditions

• Explores how to harmonize our
Published August 4th 2020 by Park Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Your Symphony of Selves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Symphony of Selves

Start your review of Your Symphony of Selves: Discover and Understand More of Who We Are
Cynthia Larson
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mastering Multiplicity for Optimal Living--A Fresh take on an Old Idea

Your Symphony of Selves illuminates one of the biggest unspoken and unquestioned assumptions implicit in western human society: each and every one of us consists of a steady, unified, single self. We might occasionally notice with irritation that a friend or family member is "not acting like themselves," yet seldom do we acknowledge the dynamics of the multiplicity of identities each of us actually possess.

Your Symphony of Se
Jean-michel Boudreault
This is a good book but as I see it there are two main issues with it. First, the author’s main thesis is self evident: it must seem intuitive to practically anyone that a person is comprised of multiple “selves,” setting aside for now what the exact definition of a self is. Which leads me to the second major problem I have with this book: the authors never actually define the “self,” that is the say, the object of their analysis. While I understand that they would prefer to avoid the distractio ...more
Bjørn Harald Snersrud
The main thesis is presented once...and then repeated endlessly in slight variations throughout the book. Still, the ideas and tools presented, even if diluted and covered by fluff, are worth digging for. In short- the book would be great if it was limited to ish fifty pages and written with the more pragmatic readers in mind.
Mike
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the thesis of this book, and hearing the author speak on podcasts has been informative, but the book is badly written. It's extremely repetitive, makes it very difficult to find the one useful tidbit of information amongst the 500 quotes from different people all saying the same things in slightly different ways. ...more
Rose Guingrich
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
It was, quite simply, a notable concept with poor execution. The order of the book didn’t make sense (outlining the benefits of a concept they haven’t properly explained and and THEN citing examples and explaining it? But why?), and it became boring very quickly. My favorite parts of the book were the quotes from other authors, so, woo.
Spencer
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A symphony of selves- to Appreciate your inner selves, a healthy multiplicity.
You have an accessible self that can be more forgiving and compassionate than the other selves.
When u r absentminded it is because a diff self was dealing with a thing. The part of you that did the thing is no longer here.
Monotheistic western societies have a dissociated executive self and one God that comes from this psyche.
Awareness of subpersonalities begins communication with them, it liberates and begins to integr
Gus diZerega
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
James Fadiman and Jordan Gruber have written an important and fascinating book, “Your Symphony of Selves.” In it they challenge the taken for granted Western notion that we are individuals “all the way down” and any sign of a person being more complex than that signals pathology.

It’s not that the phenomena of multiple selves has not been noticed. But as a culture we have terms that reduce their significance, such as “facets,” “personalities,” and “roles.” Fadiman and Gruber argue there is much
Robert Weitzel
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tour de force, exhuming the long hidden awareness of the multiplicity of selves present in all of us, and exploring the amazing changes in our lives inherent in recognizing this fact of life.
Written beautifully, with clear evidence from diverse and respected sources, and convincing, illustrative examples that resonate immediately.
Jim Fadiman (with his collaborative author, Jordan Gruber) has done it again - written a fascinating and groundbreaking work that will open minds and change lives, to
Eric Bettencourt
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Audible and used the physical book for reference and I really loved it; such a great theory. The authors don't really break new ground with any new major insights but basically reframe and consolidate many nebulous aspects of the self and it's experiences.

The Audio book was a little tough to listen to in places especially when there were lots of lists and equations otherwise super engaging and interesting.
Adam Miller
May 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was eye opening and has changed my perspective on identity/personality in interesting ways. It also takes an intuitive way I think many of us think already perhaps without knowing it and explains it with a series of examples from multiple sources. Especially for “parts” work psychology this book will be a great source of information and I believe was designed for the average person to be able to read and apply the concepts right away. Five stars and a great read!
William
Mar 10, 2021 added it
Shelves: gave-up
Too dry, too many examples, not enough that I felt I could apply to myself.
Michael
Apr 28, 2021
Apr 25, 2021
Mircea
May 10, 2021

• Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • The Shadows
  • Cycle of the Werewolf
  • Slender Man
  • They Call Me the Night Howler! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld, #11)
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned in the Twilight Zone: A Fifth Dimension Guide to Life
  • Original Politics: Making America Sacred Again
  • JOTT: when things disappear... and come back or relocate – and why it really happens
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 11: Includes Vols. 31, 32  33
  • James Bond: Origin, Vol. 2
  • Consciousness Medicine: Indigenous Wisdom, Entheogens, and Expanded States of Consciousness for Healing and Growth
  • Fundamentals: Ten Keys to Reality
  • Divergent Mind: Thriving in a World That Wasn't Designed for You
  • Conan: Serpent War
  • Batman: Curse of the White Knight
  • Zealot: A Book About Cults
  • Farnsworth's Classical English Rhetoric
James Fadiman is an American psychologist and writer. He is acknowledged for his extensive work in the field of psychedelic research.
Fadiman received a Bachelor of Social Relations from Harvard University and a Master's degree and Ph.D in Psychology from Stanford University.
While in Paris in 1961, his friend and former Harvard undergraduate adviser, Ram Dass, introduced him to psychedelics.
Current