Start by marking “The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)

The Alpha's Warlock

(Mismatched Mates #1)

Cursed, mated, and in for the fight of their lives…

Warlock Nate Hawthorne just wants a cup of coffee. Is that too much to ask? Apparently. Because instead of precious caffeine, all he gets is cursed by a pack of werewolves who want to use him for his magic. Now the only way to fix the damage is a mate bond to a grumpy and oh-so-sexy alpha in the rival pack, who happens to
Published March 20th 2020 by Smoking Teacup Books

To ask other readers questions about The Alpha's Warlock, please sign up.
Eliot Grayson Hi there! Nope, not a spin-off! Dor and Charlie will be getting their own book later on in the series. There are a couple of standalone novellas that …moreHi there! Nope, not a spin-off! Dor and Charlie will be getting their own book later on in the series. There are a couple of standalone novellas that will be popping up in the Mismatched Mates series, but Charlie and Dor will feature in the fourth full-length main series book.(less)
Asteropê There was a preview at the end of this book. It'll be about:
Matthew (pack alpha)
Arik (the captive shaman and necromancer)…more
There was a preview at the end of this book. It'll be about:
Matthew (pack alpha)
Arik (the captive shaman and necromancer)(less)

Start your review of The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
Jilly
Me, after reading the blurb for the book: "Knotting"? Like macramé or something? Well, I like arts and crafts. I just hope that they don't mean sailors knots or something like that because that is boring. Oh, free on KU? *click*

Me, after reading the "knotting" scene: What. The. Actual. Fuck? Also:

ok, so the year at home has made me a little dramatic.

Once I got over all of that, I really liked the book. There was more angst than I would usually like, but I liked the main characters enough to canc
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Has Potential*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book isn't bad per se, it has a lot of potential, however it lack something quite important: chemistry. The story centers around Warlock Nate Hawthorne (26?) and the pack leader's second in command of the Armitage pack Ian Armitage (27), one of the most feared werewolves in northern California. Nate shows up in Ian's territory weak and dying, in the need of a mate as Armitage pack's enemies' shaman has put Nate in a curse. And the one who to be Nate's mate is
Micah
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Has anyone ever read a book that has A LOT of issues, doesn’t entirely make sense, and does not have the best dialogue but for some reason you just cant stop reading & are thoroughly entertained??? Well... that was me & this book.

I honestly don’t know what it is about this book but it was kind of fun?? I mean there’s a moment in this book when everything gets a bit confusing & rushed like the plot line, relationships, & dynamics between characters but again, I had fun?? Both characters are mess
Lorraine Lesar
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
One dream, two souls, both with their own goals
One golden chance of what might be
(it’s a kind of magic)
One Mating that could light the way to go
No mortal men can win this day
This rage of ours
Can soon be gone
(it’s a kind of magic)
The flame that burns within us
We’re both hearing the same harmonies

5* for the enchanted socks
3* for Nate and Ian
5* for Charlie and Doran
5* for the snark and inner thoughts of Nate
3* for the storyline
5* for W’s review that pe
Mir
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found Nate's dialog very entertaining and think this book has a good balance of humor, action, sex, and serious emotional issues. I would have liked a bit more world-building, but that's mostly greediness on my part because I wanted the story to go on longer. What is Dor? How is he connected to Charlie? What about the MESCALINE COYOTE DEMON CULT?! You don't just throw that shit on the table and walk away, dammit author. PLUS the next book is not available yet? But I need to know!
#madatyou
Kazza
 photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

4.5 Stars

Reviewing as I read-

Liking this so far.
Paranormal with an urban fantasy vibe.
Some Lots of snark and humour. Characters I'm getting a good feel for now loving - sarcastic, crazy bastards who bicker and fuck and bicker some more. Bit of 'forced for your own good' mate bonding, which I'm not adverse to.
There's also knotting....and even more knotting. Yeah, baby...
While the book is sexy when Ian and Nate get it on, the ratio of story to sex is really good - I got plot, world buildin
Ariana
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3,5

This one surprised me.

I expected magic, growly shifters and pack politics.
And while I got all that, there is also the humorous, delightfully sarcastic and self-deprecating tone of the story-telling. It was funny. Although present for most of the book, it doesn’t overwhelm and made me chuckle (and even laugh out loud) quite a few times.
And mostly - amidst the humour there were enough of serious feels to keep me going!

The idea of a ‘forced mating’ is always tempting, and I love when two guys wh
W.
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. Snarky. Playful. Hot.

March 29, 2020
Format: Kindle Edition

If I were to make a list of the 10 Best Stories to Read while practicing Social Distancing during a Quarantine , The Alpha's Warlock would be on that list.

Book is snarky , with lots of tongue in cheek banter; hilariously funny inner thoughts and one liners . The plotline and narrative is fast paced with non-stop action and adventure.

Main and secondary characters are quirky ,colorful, intriguing and OTT. Nate and Ian, the her
Kathleen
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifters, paranormal

I mostly felt “meh” when I put my ereader down. Weak world building, barely likable main characters, missing pack dynamics (wait, what pack?), lack of physical descriptions, adolescent behavior and dialogue. I’ll stop here. Not my kind of PNR story.
Cadiva
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist on the usual paranormal romance

I enjoyed this book but it felt a bit frantic at times, like the plot elements never really got a chance to bed in before it was off again.

Nate and Ian were an interesting pairing though as I do love a good frenemies to lovers story.

I'd have liked just a little more set up I think before the book went off in another direction with yet more character introduction.

But I do like Eliot's writing style in the main and you get a good romp through
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
4 Stars

Review:
When the story started and almost immediately jumped into, "Alphas have huge dicks!" and, "I'm gonna have to be fucked and knotted to save my life!" I became skeptical about this book and how much I would enjoy it. But then I started getting to know the characters, their relationship grew, there was a lot of great angst and emotion, and I ended up really liking it!

I really felt for Nate because of his past abuse and how he felt so lonely and unloved and useless to everyone but stil
M.I.A
Well, this sure starts off with a bang.

Sucked right into the story
kidnapped
drugged
struggling to safety

The story is told from a first person P.O.V. The narrator, Nate Hawthorn, is a treat. A snarky warlock hiding his hurt insides from the world.

We get an enemies-to-lovers trope here. This had to be my favorite take on it!
Assumptions and misunderstanding leading to a mutual dislike of one another.
It's incredibly well done, the animosity.
Their fights are intense.
They hurt one another [emo
Tammy
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by this author and I have to say it was entertaining from the first page until the last. Nat and Ian were both in denial about their feelings and both hard headed as hell!! In the next book I'm hoping to hear how these two are getting along and I hope that Nat gets the training he wants to give him much needed confidence and control in his magic. ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I liked it but it felt too superficial. For characters that had known each other when they were younger I expected more. It felt too rushed and I couldn't really see the connection between them even though it was fun to read. ...more
Quaint
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Alpha werewolf, Ian, has a scowling face constantly up for display. He sucks at expressing his emotions.well, your typical Alpha

warlock, Nate , is your little * oop sorry* no no no no... your magical warlock who is still struggling to wield his power in full potential due to his shitty piece of shit of a father who manipulated, abused, and mistreated his son.

Nate has been lonely and longing for love; he hoped to fill the void in his heart, to find the one, to find the place where he belongs.

Ian
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
✨ Read for the 2020 KU Shitathon™ challenge - [Yearly Edition] - over at Maraya's Cave Of Freaking Wonders

♠ Plan B: #1 of 3 -- Month: April ♠

Was it better to be useful, and therefore used, or useless and left to die?
@16% [Chapter 10]

Cute read!

Simple plot but still engaging enough. Only real issue I had was @61% were our hero whines non stop for three-four full pages! Beyond that everything else was ok.

Liked the two MCs banter, but my fav characters were Charlie & Doran! I really hop
Achim
3.5
Amusing festival of bickering. Of course it's one of those stories about miscommunication and it isn't a spoiler to tell that those guys secretly care about each other if only Nate would be able to cope better with his abusive past and Ian would get his head out of the ass but then the snarky remarks and the grumpy sarcasm are a fun diversion and makes it easy to enjoy while it lasts.

There is an unbalance of MC characterization vs world building which puts the adventure too much on the sidel
Steph ☀️
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I 💚 snark :)

Very interesting beginning that has potential. I wish I could say that I loved this just as much as my GR friends. Seriously, I did love the snark. However, I felt the angsty chemistry between the two MCs missed the mark. Most likely it’s a me thing, so yeah. Also, even though the couple did get their HEA, the author IMO leaves the reader with a cliffhanger.
Caipi
I wasn't really in the mood for this book when I started reading it but I needed it for a challenge. So I'm glad that this turned out to be a pleasant surprise and I really enjoyed it!
It's an humorous enemies to lovers story between a warlock who can't shut up and a grumpy werewolf, both messed up but somehow lovely characters. In addition there are an interesting vampire and his "Dor" as secondary characters.

I'll definitely give the next part a chance, too. :)
Jenn (not Lily)
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku
Sooooo good! I love that this starts out going 80 mph from the first page, throwing us into the story and the world immediately. Nate is such a mess but so prickly to defend his new independence. The relationship is such a massive cluster from long before we arrived in the spectator section. It's amazing to watch it morph into something completely unexpected. More please!!! ...more
Jess
This book had definitely hit a few of my sweet spots.
✔Enemies to Lover
✔Shifters Bond/Mate
✔Long time Secret Crush
✔Protective Alpha

Nate was a warlock and was stubborn, oblivious and snarky. I could not help feeling bad for Ian but then, he was not perfect. He was similarly snarky, stubborn and so poor in communicating his feelings. He was painted to be gruff like The Hulk in the first part of the story but that was because we were reading from Nate's perspective and that was how he saw Ian. Th
Claudia
this could have been better ... as I really missed a development between Ian and Nate. nevertheless a nice story ... not sure about the next one
Mariah
The part of me that spent the most anxious years of my life reading nothing but Sterek fan fiction needs this to be so much more.

This had a bunch of stuff I love:
-Shifters and warlocks
-mating bonds
-enemies to lovers
-but one of them is secretly in love with the other
-miscommunication
-oblivious idiots
-knots 🥴

The stuff I didn’t love:
-only one POV
-mating bond but not the fun kind TW: (view spoiler)
-underdeveloped magic system
-underdeveloped secondary characters
-just t
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
This one was lots of fun and very entertaining! It's an enemies to lovers story between a warlock with lots of snark and spunk and a grumpy werewolf who likes to be in charge. They are a bit messed up but you can't help but love them. Some interesting secondary characters as well. I liked the world, the characters and the humor so I will continue this series.

Joyfully Jay
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
Updated for audio review:
A Joyfully Jay review.

Read Elizabeth’s review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

The Alpha’s Warlock is the first book in Eliot Grayson’s new Mismatched Mates series and I really loved it. The book jumps right into the action with Nate near death and things keep up a high level of excitement throughout the story. Slowly we discover more about what is really going on, who wants to capture Nate, and their ultimate goal. There is a nice twistiness to th
P Leslie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, m-m, shifters
I really enjoyed Alpha’s Warlock.

Nate was no push over and I looked forward to the moments he went head to head with his stubborn werewolf.

Ian came across cold yet his actions weren’t that of a cold, uncaring person. He takes the ultimate plunge to save Nate. I always got the feeling, very early on, that there was more to Ian. Ian was intense and when he focused his sights on Nate; there was so much hidden emotion or yearning behind those eyes. It was difficult to get a good read on Ian yet it
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

Hmmm, I felt like there was background story about these characters (and universe) that happened elsewhere. Mentioned of characters that never made in on page, sudden character appearance that didn't have enough explanation... it was annoying. And Nate seemed to be unconscious a LOT. However, the growly/grumpy Alpha and the whole (view spoiler) was kind of entertaining; so it kind of made up for it
meep
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I liked this book a lot, sometimes the bickering got to be a little much but Nate was hilarious so it kept bringing me back. I look forward to the next book
Walford
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Any novel I read in one sitting automatically gets four stars. This one hit all the marks for me; suspenseful throughout, hot, sweet, and leavened with snark.
Amanda
This is an entertaining read and the action start right at the beginning. Usually the first book of. PNR series begin with much info dumping for the world building, but this one started with Nate, a warlord being kidnapped and cursed and he crawled to the Armitage Pack and needs to mate with an alpha asap to save his own life.
He didn't expect to be mated with someone who hated him since forever.
Ian Armitage and Noah tends to piss each other off and I wonder how they will survive this new arrang

• The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Tatiana and Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, #2)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Home Improvement: Undead Edition
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • Forbid the Sea (October Daye, #7.2)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Forbidden Magic (Magic and Claws, #1)
  • Trained by the Boss
  • Phoenix Rise (Phoenix ShiftARS #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • Alex (Striking Back, #4)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Zero Divergence (Zero Hour, #3)

Mismatched Mates (2 books)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)

News & Interviews

“I was so, so done with decapitation for one day.” 2 likes
“I was like a bad supernatural country song, all wanting to be loved and sad that my werewolf ran away. Or something.” 0 likes