Start by marking “A Gathering of Angels” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Gathering of Angels
Katherine Valentine

A Gathering of Angels (Dorsetville)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In A Miracle for St. Cecilia?s, Katherine Valentine created a charming Connecticut town where ordinary people experience extraordinary things. Now in A Gathering of Angels the citizens of Dorsetville continue to discover the daily wonders of faith. While Father Flaherty toys with taking up kickboxing to trim his growing waistline, another town expansion proves more ominous ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by Penguin Books (first published August 11th 2003)

Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I might categorize A Gathering of Angels as a Catholic cozy. It is a sweet if predictable book. Although it isn't what I usually read I found the first half of the book very charming. Having grown up in a big city I am always fascinated by small towns. In this small town, nothing tragic happens. The residents are occasionally misguided but never intentionally bad. It puts forward an uncomplicated message: Be nice, be kind, help your friends and miracles will happen. It is a little cliche, but ev ...more
Margaret Hardie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series - about a small New England town, is just excellent. I highly recommend them. They are not swift moving. Just calm, funny, inspirational, and . . . just read them all.
Susy Skidmore
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in a series that centers around a small New England town and the funny and somewhat relatable townspeople. Very heart-warming and faith building.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful series.
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
2nd in the Dorsetville series...
I purchased this 2nd in the series hoping it would fare better than its predecessor and it does, although the parts involving Denise and Marlene are puerile and the author goes overboard in it.

"A Gathering of Angels" pretty much continues but with something of a gap -- perhaps a few years -- in time since the ending of book one "A Miracle for St. Cecilias."

After a couple of mobsters threaten one of Dorsetville's own, they are involved in a hit-and-run of another
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This a nice little read. When I was browsing for books at my local library I came across this book. At first I wasn't sure if Id' like this book. I tend to stray from religious based fiction and since it is a sequel I was hesitant to read this out of sequence. I'm glad I decided to read this very enjoyable book. After reading the first chapter I found that I couldn't put it down. I love it when I find a book that creates that childhood excitement.

This book is about a group of nuns and the commun
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
St. Cecilia's has been given a reprieve by the opening of a home for retired Catholic priests and nuns. The nun who brought about the transformation has died while on a pilgramage to Yugoslavia. Her rosary starts making the rounds and a miracle happens to each of the people into whose possession it comes. It also doesn't hurt to have a guardian angel. More of the life of the community of Dorsetville.
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoyed the Miford series
If you have ever wondered how to keep your faith when prayers go unanswered you will enjoy Gathering of Angels by Karen Valentine. Set in Dorsetville, a small New England town this sequel to A Miracle for St. Cecilia's, which I have not read, is sure to interest you. The quirky small town characters include Father James and his housekeeper Mrs. Norris who are entertaining enough to keep me reading. The novel is faith inspired fiction, which I love.
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emily, April
Recommended to Kristy by: Marie Bricher
This was a quick spiritual-based read about individual blessings of a traveling rosary. The timing of this read couldn't have been better with the arrival of our daughter. I prayed the rosary last Wednesday (4/7) before our doctor appointment and 8 hours later I was at the hospital to begin the journey of motherhood. I recommend this read to anyone who needs a spiritual boost.
Downhill from first in series. What happens after the first book in a series? The author runs out of steam? Out of ideas? The author introduces some really unconvincing characters: Molly the bag lady, and the two guys who pose as gangsters. No motivation to read #3.
It took me a while to really enjoy this book, as it seemed too light at first. As I read longer, it began to be more fun. There are so many characters that even by the end I didn't have some of them straight, but I did enjoy the story.
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some of the reviews I read on this book were pretty harsh, but I truly enjoyed it. The characters were likable and fun to get to know. I liked the fact that it was a story being told about the Catholic faith. Published in 2003, it does seem to be set in a simpler time and I like that!
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
This is the second book in the series I've read. I enjoyed it and there were some wonderful pieces of faith and miracles that inspired me. Some of the "drama" seemed forced and over the top though. I'm going to continue to read the series as my library has most of the five books (yeah!)
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful and entertaining story. Especially when you listen to it on audio.
Sandra Kent
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent story! I love this series. If you liked Mitford, you will love this.
Jun 06, 2013 added it
Read in 2007
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I wish there were half stars.... at times I liked the story and other times I really liked it.... so in reality, I'd like to give it 3.5 stars
Jan 12, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely couldn't get into the book and I think the religious topic is not my kind of thing at all.
Apr 16, 2016
Apr 04, 2013
Jul 08, 2010
Dec 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Dearest Dorothy, If Not Now, When? (Dearest Dorothy, #6)
  • Aprons on a Clothesline (The Lake Emily Series #3)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby Series Book 3)
  • Henry Reed's Journey
  • Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy
  • Harry Bentley's Second Chance (Yada Yada Brothers #1)
  • Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks, #8)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out
  • A Change of Heart (Harmony, #5)
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • The Simple Truth About Love

Dorsetville (5 books)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Grace Will Lead Me Home
  • On a Wing and a Prayer
  • The County Fair (Dorsetville)