Start by marking “Catherine House” as Want to Read:

Catherine House

A seductive, gothic-infused tale of literary suspensethe debut of a spectacular new voice about a dangerously curious young undergraduate whose rebelliousness leads her to discover a shocking secret involving an exclusive circle of students . . . and the dark truth beneath her schools promise of prestige.

You are in the house and the house is in the woods.
You are in the

Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Custom House

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 12, 2020
    Enter for your chance to win an Advance Reader's Edition CATHERINE HOUSE, the gothic-infused debut by Elisabeth Thomas.

Trust us, you belong here.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 5755 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 11 - Mar 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Catherine House, please sign up.
    Melissa There is some romance towards the second half of the book, but it's definitely not the focus. There is some sexual content as well, but nothing…moreThere is some romance towards the second half of the book, but it's definitely not the focus. There is some sexual content as well, but nothing graphic or explicit. They're more like "closed door" sex scenes where you know what's happening, or what's just happened, but no overt descriptions of sex. In my opinion, any discussions of sex, sexuality or romance definitely serve character and plot development and don't feel extraneous.(less)

Start your review of Catherine House
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
    School of selected, special, successful, superior students (too many S letters in a sentence seems like special spell. Oh no! Again too many s letters make me feel like stuck in a spell) made me think: Hey, we have some kind gothic, intriguing thriller, more understandable and less brain cell killer version of Ninth House (yes, I was not intelligent enough to enjoy that book.) or some kind of Truly Devious trilogys murder mystery with just a little Hogswarts vibes.

I have to emphasize that world
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    OK not only is this a Gothic novel, it's got an academia setting.

YES to the YES, YES, YES.

I've applied to like three giveaways of this book on Goodreads. I want a copy SOOOO BAD. It sounds like everything I want in a book and I NEED it.

Where's a working accio spell when you need one? :|
    Amy Imogene Reads
    Jan 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
    This is such a pretty ARC, and its giving me all kinds of Secret History and If We Were Villains vibes...and its blurbed by Rory Power. YES!

Thank you to Custom House - William Morrow for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
    The Artisan Geek

18/3/20
    Really enjoyed this dark and gothic read! Also had a wonderful time chatting to Elisabeth herself about the book! :D

13/3/20
    A huge thank you to Custom House for gifting me a copy of this book, really up for some dark academia! :)

You can find me on
    Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
    Vonda
    Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
    I was really excited for this one., For no reason it turns out. The characters were undeveloped and the pace was slow.. It would be better labeled a "novel" than psychological thriller because this book never gets you on the edge of the seat. I instead fell asleep.
    Erin A. Craig
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    What a phenomenal debut! I really loved the voice spare and poignant, sharp and ruthless. I loved discovering the mystery of Catherine House, learning the secrets behind all those silk wallpapered walls. Will absolutely recommend to everyone! ...more
    Anna Luce
    DNF 15%

Here, no one knew who I was or what I'd done.

Why, why, why, do the protagonists in these 'academia/campus' novels always have a dark secret related to their dark past?
    It would be different if the narrator mentioned their mysterious past later on in the narrative but here she alludes to it within the very first chapters...
    Plus, the narrator tries hard to be taken as this 'edgy, not like other girls girl' and I'm also kind of done with these type of characters:

My hair slunk over my
    Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
    I don't think I'm smart enough to enjoy this book.

It reminded me of art history class - staring at priceless scribbles for hours and rolling my eyes when the professor would say "the artwork is not on the canvas, it's how it makes you feel."

Well, this book left me feeling profoundly confused, disturbed, and a little grumpy, primarily for the lack of payoff after a buildup that is stretched day in and day out over the course of three years of college. And for all of the mystery and intrigue of
    Samantha
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    A wildly impressive debut. Emphasis on the wild part. But quietly wild, if youll permit such a typically incongruous combination of words.

The book is quietly wild in the way that the best gothic build books are. This is indeed a slow burn (even the climax is more of a sinister simmer than an explosive denouement), but like all solid gothic, it boasts an off-the-charts sense of atmosphere and setting.

The plot is more suspense/coming-of-age than true gothic horror (Think Donna Tartt mixed with
    Mel
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    **I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.**

Throughout the whole time I was reading this book I was hard-pressed to articulate why, exactly, I was enjoying it so much but now I feel sure that it's because this book does pretty much the exact opposite of what you expect it to. A narrator arrives at an austere and beautiful but also quasi-cult-like school that just so happens to be in control of a mysterious substance? Well, obviously our plucky heroine is going to spend the majority of her
    Jessica (BlogEared Books)
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley
    I went through quite a few emotions while reading this but the one feeling that stay consistent was confusion. I just finished it and am so confused and honestly a little frustrated that I read the whole thing, hoping for something that made any kind of sense.

I love boarding house books- and when this book began I got a "Down a Dark Hall" vibe- my favorite book by Lois Duncan. The house was spooky, each person in the house seemed to have a certain talent and they referred to the house as if it
    Julie
    CATHERINE HOUSE (set for publication May 12,2020) is an odd read for lack of a better way to describe it. Within the novel,our main character, Ines, investigates the unusual college that she is at in an effort to discover its dark history and present. And really, the premise is a great one: it's the fodder for a perfect gothic story with a creepy atmosphere that motivates readers to keep going to discover the "secret," but the story itself falls short of delivering what it promises. While ...more
    Kristen
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
    So, it just didn't work for me. I'm not sure to whom they are going to market this book, but it certainly shouldn't be for adults. This is an easy read with uncomplicated ideas, and has more of a young adult feel.

Even so, I didn't really connect with the characters or the plot the characters and the story are just not really compelling. There are several plotlines that just do not play out well, especially the most important one of "plasma." I can appreciate the attempt, but the execution
    Bailey
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Whew, what a book! Sort of somewhere between Donna Tartt and Jeff Vandermeer, but also its own thing. Can't wait for others to read this one.
    Sistersreviewingbooks
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Dont judge a book by its cover is a good starting point to explain how I felt about this book. My order of selection is usually as follows: the book covers pique my interest, the title makes me pick up the book, and the plot summary seals the deal. I chose Catherine House for its covers beautiful color combination - the blue and pink swirling on the gate. The title was intriguing enough and the plot summarized a gothic-infused debut of literary suspense. SOLD. Im here thinking Im about to get a ...more
    Kara
    Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Heavy on eerie atmosphere, but thin on plot, Catherine House definitely has gothic vibes but in a modern setting.

Ines is an unlikeable and sometimes downright despicable character, but I've always found those types interesting. The mystery of the boarding college is revealed slowly, and though I don't think I ever fully understood the concept of plasm, it was creepy.

Yaya was the best character and her open and forgiving friendship with Ines is what really made this book worth it to me. I look
    Rachel
    Feb 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Unfortunately, I had to DNF this one. I rarely, if ever, dont finish a book but this one I just couldnt get through. It really sucks because I was so excited to read this one because the synopsis gave me Ninth House vibes.
    This story just didnt go anywhere. It was so repetitively boring. I made it through 50% and I honestly couldnt tell you what happened. Nothing did. The writing was very choppy, vague, and unexciting. I hate to say this but this one is worth passing on. I really didnt get
    Donna Hines
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    Catherine House lures readers in with passion, intensity, and a fire in the belly that never fades!
    Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania I can relate to this nightmarish boarding school that makes many promises but delivers nothing but nightmares.
    Catherine House is a 'community of minds' and what many fail to realize is there's educational smarts, streets smarts aka life of hard knocks, and there's common sense.
    Which avenue you choose depends on many factors such as upbringing, education,
    Heather Fineisen
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
    I am not really sure what this book is supposed to be about. An ultra private college called Catherine House, houses a batch of incoming first year students including Ones, Theo, and Baby. Throw in the controversial study of Plasm and the school becomes one of secrets and suspense. There is some tension built into the story but Plasm and the concentration in the study of it is never explained well enough. The characters fall flat because the premise is not clear. The art concentration was full ...more
    Richelle Robinson
    * I won a copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.*

As much as I wanted to like this book, it didnt work out in my favor. I didnt really care for the main character Ines. I feel she is written in a way that you will either like or dislike her character. I did like Yaya who is a secondary character.

The book started off slow but I knew that was needed to set the scene for the
    Jo Oleksy
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: first-reads
    *I received an ARC of this book via Goodreads Firstreads*

I loved this book and the characters. But I dont easily dislike books, I always tend to rate high because I just go by how they make me feel and then I get to a book I love even more and cant give it more than 5 stars.

Whatever you think this book is going to be like, it isnt. Its bigger and more descriptive and moody and velvety and the characters are all complicated.

Were all infinitely connected, all part of the same structure.

The cat
    Liz Barnsley
    I immersed myself into "Catherine House" in short order - the literary writing appealed to me entirely and I've always had a place in my heart for stories set in boarding schools - this one is a school with a difference, a quietly compelling place that is as much a character as the students and teachers that live within it's walls.

Those that attend give themselves up to it entirely, no outside contact and leaving the world behind. The promise being you come out a whole new person, ready to take
    Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
    Michelle
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: giveaways
    Honestly, I DNF at a little over half way. I was struggling to read it and someone told me I shouldn't waste my time reading stuff I didn't like so I'm going with that. The writing is good but the material I just don't care. That's really all there is to it. I don't care what happens. It's a bit weird and the main character does nothing for me. In fact, it's kind of like she cares even less than I do.
    Moira
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
    I am so conflicted about this book. The concept and parts of the story really interested me. Unfortunately most parts dragged and I found myself skimming over sections. This is classified as a suspense/thriller but it never actually got suspenseful. All the ground work was laid out but nothing happened, and the ending ... well I threw my kindle down and walked away from it.

ARC provided by #NetGalley in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.
    Pam
    Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2019-reads
    Just did not care about the characters or the story. DNF at 50%.
    Shijia
    Dec 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
    wow, this sounds like Ninth House...but better...
    Alexis
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: abandoned, giveaways
    Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book via Goodreads giveaway.

I did not finish reading this book. I read around 43% of it and had to quit.

Maybe the synopsis of this book spoiled me. Maybe I would have been able to finish this book if the synopsis wasn't so much better than what the book actually delivered. However, this synopsis promises a much better book than what's actually there.

I was hooked on getting a copy of this book after reading the synopsis. Let's just say that I'm glad I won a
    Joanne Liddement
    I was attracted to the novel Catherine House by it's enticing synopsis. Unfortunately i found both the characters and plot jarring and i struggled with the book as a whole, which is a shame as it could have been an amazing novel.
    Ines has been given the chance to study at Catherine House, a university for the gifted and bright. The conditions set upon entry, are that all students must cut any contact with their relatives and friends, and they must commit to the chosen studies. Any student who
    Jenn Hill
    Mar 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
    I did not really enjoy this book. Most of the time I was wondering what the heck was going on and where they were leading it. The answer is nowhere. Catherine made all the students work crazy hard, to the point of abuse on their psyche and then used the plasma pins to brainwash them into continuing. This book was like a cult and a boarding school rolled into one. Ines joined up with Catherine running from something and ended up leaving running from something. There was not really an ending, ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The German Heiress
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • The Sweeney Sisters
    • Pretty Things
    • Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
    • Lakewood
    • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
    • In the Dark
    • Me
    • What Lies Between Us
    • Please See Us
    • The Night Swim
    • The Guest List
    Elisabeth Thomas grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where she still lives and now writes. She graduated from Yale University and currently works as an archivist for a modern art museum. CATHERINE HOUSE is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book

In honor of Black History Month, we rounded up some of the most anticipated 2020 novels by authors of color. And, of course, these books also r...