Start by marking “Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)

Dangerous Remedy

(Dangerous Remedy #1)

Camille, a revolutionary's daughter, leads a band of outcasts – a runaway girl, a deserter, an aristocrat in hiding. As the Battalion des Mortes they cheat death, saving those about to meet a bloody end at the blade of Madame La Guillotine. But their latest rescue is not what she seems. The girl's no aristocrat, but her dark and disturbing powers means both the Royalists a ...more
Published May 5th 2020 by Zephyr

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Remedy, please sign up.
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chris I got the following response from the author via Twitter:
I got the following response from the author via Twitter:
"you can get the audiobook in the us right now, or you can pre-order the hardback from book depository, which will be released in a couple of months. ebook sadly not currently available in north america for rights reasons i suspect." (https://twitter.com/KatAliceDunn/stat...) (less)

Start your review of Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
NAT.orious reads ☾
3.25 STARS ★★★✩✩
This book is for you if… you're a younger reader with a nack for historical fantasy fiction.

Overall.
I really wish I had better things to say about this book but 3 days after finishing Dangerous Remedy I'm still as indifferent towards it as I was reading the last page. Although merely an average read for me I'm confident younger readers would have a lot of fun with it, so this is still a recommendation for teenagers

Continuing with its strengths, I'd say the book is worth
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Frankenstein meets chaotic disaster gays during the French Revolution? How could I not be intrigued.

Full review to come, but this is an really fun novel with lush historical worldbuilding, fully-fleshed characters and relationships, and lots of gays. Perfect for fans of Six of Crows & The Gilded Wolves.

[Buddy Read with Imi, Lauren & Moon]

I received an advanced review copy in exchange for an honest review
Lucy Langford
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
3***

”The soul died long before the guillotine arrived in Paris... it died when rich men in charge forgot we’re human too.”

This book had an interesting set up. It covered a historical period in France which I didn’t know much about: Revolutionaries vs. Royalists, the guillotine, and a band of skilled teenagers whose job it is to break people out of jail. On one of these excursions Camille (the lead of the group) and her team are tasked with the job of getting a girl out of the prison and give the
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

introduction:
I received an Advanced Reading Copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Well, April was not a good month for me in terms of reading. There wasn't much that was grabbing my interest, and I ended up finishing half as many books as March. I was starting to get into a slump, and then I began reading "Dangerous Remedy".

summary:

charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
I couldn’t risk you all for their sake. It’s not a trade I’m willing to make.

On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: biracial (Black, white) lesbian mc, Black mc, bi mc, gay mc

CWs: human experimentation, gore, violence

Galley provided by publisher

Dangerous Remedy was easily one of my most anticipated 2020 releases, and it does not disappoint. It is an action-packed, found family-filled historical romp that will alternately have you laughing out loud and sobbing into a hankie.

The story opens with
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dangerous Remedy was an action packed read best summed up as queer Stranger Things meets Frankenstein during the French Revolution. It was a fun, enjoyable and quick read that I'd definitely recommend although I lacked the emotional investment that might have increased my rating.

Content Warnings: violence, death, execution, human experimentation

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4/5

I loved the fast pace of the story that still kept the balance between dynamic , dramatic scenes and quieter on
No One
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody, brutal and real

I honestly don’t see how anyone can not love this book it has everything anyone could want. Historical fiction, rag tag team, humour, badassery, LGBTQ rep, powers and more honestly this book was written for me I swear.

The only thing I would change is I would love to of had each chapter for each character to know how they are feeling it’s all very based on CAMILIE AND ADE

I would love some chapters of Al and Guil and Olympe to hear about their background and their stories b
ila ✨
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
[4 stars] i don’t often start unfinished series these days, but Dangerous Remedy was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, and i just couldn’t resist, i had to read it immediately. first of all, this is a good debut; i’m really, really excited about this series and where it is going, and i absolutely can’t wait to read book two. i thought about it, and i think that four stars is a fair rating for this one, but book two has five-star potential written all over it, and hopefully it will ...more
Zoe
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as release-2020
Useless gay's in the French Revolution? We have no choice but to stan
Lou
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dangerous Remedy is the first instalment in a brand new and stylishly innovative historical fantasy series and Kat Dunn’s debut novel set against the turbulent backdrop of the French Revolution. It's very much a homage to The Scarlet Pimpernel but puts a modern, bang up to date spin on things. It’s 1794 and the Terror of the French Revolution is at its height. Camille and her gang have been hired to rescue a girl from the guillotine. But the job’s not what it seemed - the girl’s no aristocrat, a ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)

This historical fantasy should have been my thing but it missed on capturing me into the story or characters. I found it a chore to read after the first quarter with a few odd highlights along the way. This is the second French revolution setting I've read in the last few months and considering the last one (The Court of Miracles) was a fav of the year so far, this one really had a high bar to reach.

My problem was really with characterisation. I didn't actually like any of the character
Simple Porg
Sep 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
Me: sees this in my recommendations because I liked The Midnight Lie*
Me: Oooooooooooh pretty

Sounds interesting.
Pretty cover.
Unfinished series.

Wow it checks all the boxes.
This is a bad idea.
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Full disclaimer: I got an e-ARC of this but I ended up waiting so long that I ended up audiobooking it on storytel. The audiobook format helped me at least finish it quickly and I don't know how different my reading experience would've been had I read it in written format.

This is one of those books I don't know how to talk about because there's very little I could say I
anna ✩
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I went back and forth between 3.5 or 4 stars for a while, but decided 4 stars was more fitting, given I TRULY enjoyed this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Dangerous Remedy is a page gripping, chaotic, fantastical young adult historical fiction story focused around a group of four French rebels - The Battalion des Mortes. Camille, Ada, Al and Guil escape death over and over and save everyone they can that is on their way
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot possibly explain to you how fun this book is. I know, you're gonna ask me how a novel set in the French revolution featuring the threat of the guillotine could be "fun" but the answer, my skeptical friend, is that it's a heist novel. And it's extremely gay.⁠

Dangerous Remedy was pitched as disaster bisexuals caught up in weird magical science, a kind of Frankenstein meets Six of Crows. And it's exactly that.⁠

On a mission to retrieve a prisoner, Camille, the daughter of a murdered revol
Tilly
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I'm not going to write a full review for this because...I really don't want to.
Such a let down. I was SO excited for this book but what I got was a boring copycat like storyline with zero likeable characters. I was so bored that I struggled not to DNF and especially not to skim read. I was promised magic but got barely anything. There was little drama and very little depth to the characters.
It was meant to be historical fiction but had inacuracies and the speech was like modern day langu
Ams
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sapphic
THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE BOOK
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
Mar 25, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-new
DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING SINGING THE SONGS ON ANGRY MEN, IT IS THE PE-

"Camille, a revolutionary’s daughter, leads a band of outcasts – a runaway girl, a deserter, an aristocrat in hiding. As the Battalion des Mortes they cheat death, saving those about to meet a bloody end at the blade of Madame La Guillotine"

gods, yes.
✨ ✨
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5????? idk I thought this would be better than it ended up being
Manon the Malicious
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*4.75 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In Revolutionary Paris, Camille, Ada, Al and Guil form the "Battalion des Mortes." They break people out of prison, no matter which side they're on. But, when they break into the Conciergerie to get Olympe, the daughter of an Aristocrat, who they found is not who they expected and their lives get that much more dangerous.

That was great. I flew through it, it was captivating. The characters were complex, layered and
USOM
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Dangerous Remedy begins with an explosion. Featuring a group of outcasts, with the majority of them being queer, Dangerous Remedy is a story about found family and standing up for what's right. It is a book that celebrates choice and the power of our own agency. I was immediately hooked within the first chapter because of the action and intrigue - a girl with magical powers? Quickly
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
-3.75 stars-

'Go right ahead,' said Al. 'I think we're due to rename ourselves Battalion of the Bad Plans anyway.'

This line just about sums up 'Dangerous Remedy' and of course you are not ready for the chaotic babies of the Battalion. If you love historical fictions set in the backdrop of French Revolution, this definitely is the book you ought to pick up! I am personally biased when history and fantasy infuse in a book so Dangerous Remedy turned out just my type.

With the French Revolution on the
Amybibliophile
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you loved Six of Crows then you will adore Dangerous Remedy!

Camille, a revolutionary's daughter, leads a band of outcasts - a runaway girl, a deserter, an aristocrat in hiding. As the Battalion des Morts they cheat death, saving those about to meet a bloody end at the blade of Madame La Guillotine. But their latest rescue is not what she seems. The girl's no aristocrat, but her dark and disturbing powers means both the Royalists and the Revolutionaries want her. But who and what is she?

I so h
Monogamist
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a free e-copy via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This is definitely a great debut novel and I recommend it for all the historical fiction fans. It has a big chunk of great queer characters, it was super easy to read and Kat Dunn's description of post French Revolution Paris is absolutely amazing. It has an intriguingly fast paced plot and I liked that it jumps straight into the story from page one.
The plot twist at the end was a huge surprise and made me drop my jaw. Howeve
Justine
Originally posted to I Should Read That

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This review is spoiler-free.

Dangerous Remedy has been on my radar for ages — I love a good historical fantasy and the French Revolution setting caught my eye. I think that for a reader like me, who has become incredibly picky about what I do and do not like in YA over the years, this one didn’t quite hit the mark. However, I think you’ll enjoy this one if you’re a dedicated YA reader and are l
Azrah
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I was provided with an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Set during the French revolution, Dangerous Remedy follows the Battalion des Mortes - a daring group of youths led by a Revolutionary's daughter, who "cheat death" by rescuing people from the guillotine.
One particular rescue finds them in the company of a girl with very strange and dark powers and as both sides of the revolution hunt her down, the group have to decide whether or not to fight for her safety or their
Bertie (LuminosityLibrary)
Dangerous Remedy has such an exciting premise I knew I was going to enjoy it. I mean, it's set in revolutionary France with heists, disaster gays, and the found family trope, did Kat Dunn write this for me?

"There are no bad plans," said Guil. "Only badly implemented ones."

Camille is the leader of the Battalion des Mortes, a small group who save people from the guillotine in the French Revolution. In their most recent rescue, they discovered they were lied to. The girl they saved isn't the d
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Zephyr for sending me a copy of Dangerous Remedy, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review!

So, I have to be honest, I wasn't really drawn in by the synopsis on this one.  I'm not a huge fan of political intrigue type books and that seemed to be what this was, however, I'm really glad I read it because it was so much more than that!

This group of characters were brilliant and flawed, and I absolutely loved their interactions.  I know people are going to compare this boo
Lady H
Nov 02, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: dnf-2020
DNF @ 22%

There's nothing terribly wrong with this book, and if I pushed through I'd probably give it a 2.5 or even 3 star rating, but why bother? Overall the book's tone feels very young and simplistic, so it would probably work better for younger readers. The dialogue is also incredibly heavy-handed, and while I appreciate an established sapphic romance, I cannot believe how cheesy and sappy the dialogue between these two is.

Also, I thought this was French-inspired; I hadn't realized it's actu
Zoë ☆
Omg aaaaaaaah I really really enjoyed this - how the heck is this not more popular?! 😱 RTC but like I said.... you guys should totally read this!!! I’m also very excited for a sequel 🙊🙊
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Queen of Coin and Whispers
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • I Hold Your Heart
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • If Darkness Takes Us
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Dragon Mountain
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Dragon in the Library
  • Peril en Pointe (Swan House Ballet School Mystery #1)
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
Kat Dunn grew up in London and has lived in Japan, Australia and France.

She has a BA in Japanese from SOAS and an MA in English from Warwick. She’s written about mental health for Mind and The Guardian, and worked as a translator for Japanese television.

Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Mslexia Novel Competition, and Dangerous Remedy is her first novel.

Dangerous Remedy (2 books)
  • Monstrous Design (Dangerous Remedy, #2)

Articles featuring this book

If you like books about queer kids falling in love and having adventures, you're in for quite the treat this month. June brings a great...