Start by marking “The Monster in My Basement” as Want to Read:
The Monster in My Basement

The Monster in My Basement

There's a monster in Dave's basement! His name is Howard and he's very hungry. Howard invites Dave to dinner. But will Dave eat dinner or BE dinner? The thought makes Dave shake a little bit, shake a little bit, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake. Has Dave made a big mistake?
Published September 1st 2020 by CrissCross AppleSauce

To ask other readers questions about The Monster in My Basement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster in My Basement

Start your review of The Monster in My Basement
Tina
This is a children's book that me and my 10 year old daughter read to my 6 year old twin boys. The pictures in this book was so cute, and I loved them so much. This was a cute and fun story that all my kids really enjoyed reading/listening to. My boys laughed so hard during parts of this story. This is a silly book, but has a great message about not judging people/monsters just by what they look like. I feel how the world is right now this is a super important message. I have really been loving ...more
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Whilst playing little Dave comes across a monster in his basement that looks all sad and lonely. Dave asks the monster what is wrong and he tells him that he is hungry and would like a bite to eat.

Dave wonders what kind of food the monster would like. He then has a thought that the monster might like to eat him. He tries to back away but the monster grabs his hand and tells him he is taking him to his cave. Dave is scared. Is the monster really going to
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Haha, what a silly book! The illustrations were pretty nice, and I enjoyed how some of the words were shown in color instead of regular black. The underlying message to me seems to not simply judge people by their outward appearance, which certainly is a good message to keep in mind, and this is the message that would seem most apparent to the children who read it.

One thing I must say as an adult (and this is NOT meant to be a detraction of the authors or anything like that!) is that from an adu
Alicia Bayer
This is a cute book with a fun little recurring rhyme that kids will enjoy, though it has some problematic areas. A boy finds a monster in his basement who scares him, yet he willingly leaves his house and goes with the monster, all the while worrying that the monster might eat him. He then goes into the monster's house and lets the monster's mother feed him dinner, even though he's concerned that he might be meant to be their dinner. The idea of a child just going along with anything that compl ...more
Alison
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The cutest, funniest book. The "shake a little bit" refrain absolutely *always* gets my students laughing, and the voices of both little Dave and Howard the Monster are funny, warm, and so relatable for kids. I'm a creative writing teacher, and while I do read this book to very young students, I mainly use it as a model with elementary students for how to begin thinking about writing and illustrating their own picture books--it's that good! In terms of classroom use, in a world so presently frig ...more
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
We received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

A little boy named Dave finds a monster in his basement! When the monster invites Dave along for dinner, he isn't quite sure what to do! When he ends up in the monster's cave, he wonders if he's made a BIG mistake!

This is a fun picture book about hungry monsters that can be read by itself...
but
this book is also a song!

The song and the story behind The Mon
Kaitlyn
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Debbie Smith
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Oh my goodness. This is a book that’s impossible not to love. And since I have several elementary teachers in my family I can imagine this being read and then sung in classrooms.

I liked it before I listened to the song sung by children’s musician Dave Preston, but after hearing the catchy tune I love it. And as you can see, the illustrations by Heather Lynn Harris are adorable. I can imagine these pages being flipped through while singing.

And the monster . . . really, not so scary after all. Oka
Publication Date: 1 September 2020
Publisher: Independent Publishers Group CrissCross AppleSauce
Rating: 4/5
Advanced Reader Copy provided by CrissCross AppleSauce via Netgalley

This book is about a boy named Dave who finds a monster in his basement. The monster is hungry but Dave can’t find any food that he thinks the monster will like so the monster takes Dave to his house to eat. Dave is scared that the monster,
Angie
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. The following is my honest review and opinion. I was so excited to read this book, basements are such scary things for little ones (and lets be honest some big people too). This is a perfect read around Halloween when everything seems scary especially strange noises (like the heat kicking on for the first time in a while) and the darkness of fall. While this book does seem rather scary and spooky, have no fear, it really ...more
Gayle Swift
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, delightful, and joyous! I shared this entertaining book with my five-year-old grandson. He’s a hard nut to crack when it comes to books. He’d much prefer to be in motion or reading about anything that moves, He found The Monster in My Basement engaging and enjoyable.
I found it a hoot with the added benefit of some valuable messages: be kind, help out at home, don’t pre-judge things, and choose to be brave. Harriss’s imaginative illustrations explode with color that reflects the romping
Stacie
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A young boy named Dave hears a groan coming from his basement so he goes to investigate. To his surprise, he finds a large, red, furry, and hungry monster. Dave thinks for a bit about what a monster might want to eat and wonders if maybe he would want to eat him. But, thankfully, this monster is also very friendly. His name is Howard and he offers to take Dave to his cave. There, Dave meets the monster’s mom and when she says it’s time to eat, he wonders again if he made a big mistake.

The story
Denise Forrest
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story about a boy who discovers a monster in his house and agrees to go home for tea with the monster, however he cannot help wondering if what they will be eating is him!

A lovely, fun, rhyming story for sharing with young children. The author has written a song on the same theme which is printed in the back of the book.

I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Marty Cusimano
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dave Preston's wonderful song is now a delightful book.
The Monster in My Basement is a must read every time the grandkids come to visit...even though they have copies at their own houses. We just love to "shake a little bit. Shake, shake,shake,shake,shake!"
This is an excellent book to use in discussing fears and making mistakes with young children.
Marina
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dave finds a monster in his basement. The monster is hungry... Should Dave help or run away?

Such a lovely book for children. Super useful if we want to teach them not to judge a book by its cover! I'd definitely recommend it to my kindergarten and lower forms colleagues.

Thank you NetGalley, Dave Preston, Heather Lynn Harris and City of light for this ARC! ❤
Julie Bunn
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our family LOVES this book! The story line is exciting and keeps the kids attention (and adults too!) The illustrations are great! The QR code makes it interactive! We also bought one for our nephews and would suggest this book for Christmas gifts! We love Dave Preston’s children’s CD’s and he is also a great author- put those together and you have The Monster in My Basement!
Cat
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha! Kids are going to enjoy this tale of a boy meeting the monster in the basement! It has a nice momentum and a good twist. Illustrations were amusing and well done.

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Emilee (emileereadsbooks)
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Independent Publishers Group, CrissCross AppleSauce for a free digital copy for my review.

A rhyming story about finding a hungry monster in the basement. I liked the whimsy of it all and the ways the words fit into the illustrations so well.
Catherine
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good children's book about a monster who is in a little boy's basement. The monster asks the little boy to go to his home to meet another monster and the boy goes there, not knowing what he is going to find there. However, he is pleased with the final outcome. The book is fun and suspenseful and my daughter and I enjoyed it.

Many thanks to the author, publisher and netgalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Linda ( Clary_Starfall )
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Omg 😍🙌🏻🤗💕 this such an cute story
My nieces were thrilled reading it, and kept singing the song ‘Howard’

Very well done, the illustrations are very cute, the text easy and little so it’s easy to understand 💕

Loved it 📖💕
Oct 11, 2020
Sally
Oct 27, 2020
Dave Preston
Jun 16, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristen