Start by marking “A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)

A Match Made for Thanksgiving

(Holidays with the Wongs #1)

Advertising executive Nick Wong enjoys living in Toronto. He loves late nights partying and taking women back to his penthouse. And so it is with great reluctance that he returns to his boring hometown of Mosquito Bay for Thanksgiving.

This year, however, is even worse than usual. His interfering parents and grandparents, frustrated with the lack of weddings in the family,
Published October 8th 2019 by Jackie Lau Books

To ask other readers questions about A Match Made for Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Match Made for Thanksgiving

Start your review of A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
K.J. Charles
Short and very sweet romance where a CEO and a woman with a "do interesting things" list have a one night stand. Super tropey romance, in other words, executed well. There's no significant conflict or angst: this is very much feelgood. Well written and exceedingly likeable, with a big comedy family background and a couple of very funny scenes.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was SO cute and 100% needs to be lengthened out into a Netflix original rom-com ASAP, please and thank you. I loved the family dynamics here and thought the romance itself was super swoon-worthy and sweet, but honestly... I just want all the hilarious, ridiculous family holiday hijinks. I will say this wasn't the most memorable read for me, but I did enjoy it a whole lot and loved the author's narrative voice, so I'm very excited to continue the series at some point soon! (And seriously, Ne ...more
aarya
3 stars (I liked it with caveats)

Fluffy, fun, and short. I’m such a sucker for meddling families and there is SO MUCH meddling here. I’m glad I took a break from my recent binge of Christmas novellas and tried another holiday novella instead. Reading about Thanksgiving is perfect for my autumn mood!

I don’t use the word “rom-com” often, mostly because the majority of books labeled as rom-coms in traditional publishing don’t make me laugh out loud. But I do believe that this novella is a rom-com;
Maria Rose
Jackie Lau continues to surprise and delight me with her variety of romance novels and novellas, and when I heard she was writing a holiday novella series featuring the Wong family, (aptly named Holidays with the Wongs) I immediately added them to my to-read list. First up is A Match Made for Thanksgiving. It’s rare to find a holiday romance novel with Thanksgiving as the focus and even more so, one that celebrates Canadian Thanksgiving (it’s the first one I’ve found). As a fellow Canadian, that ...more
Elley Murray
This book made me crave bubble tea... haha! This is a really fun, fluffy holiday book with quirky rom-com coincidences and the BEST meddling family. I'm so excited that this is part of a series called Holidays with the Wongs, because I NEED more of this zany family's hijinks! I love that Nick and Lily hook up for a one-night stand and both are intrigued, but it is what it is so they go their separate ways... until Lily shows up as Nick's brother's blind date at their family Thanksgiving! I love ...more
Zoe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Small town Ontario transplants to Toronto go home for Thanksgiving! Meddling parents! One night stand turns awkward because she's his brother's date! I loved everything about this story, especially the parts that were set in my backyard.
kittykat (Jo Tortitude)
What a fantastic rom-com novella series!

It's both steamy and heartwarming, something that I had not experienced before this year. Although not set entirely in the small town of Mosquito Bay, it is similar in feel, albeit entirely hetero, to Katrina Jackson's Welcome To Sea Port which is also a series of four novellas, albeit not rom-com although it has its moments.

The rock solid family dynamic in this is just my cup of tea, as was the small town vibe. But the characters are QUEEN here. This is
N.G.Peltier N.G.Peltier
This was a quick, cute fun red! Guy who only does one night stands, heroine who has never had one but wants to be less boring collide and mix in some meddling family members and once again jackie Lau had created such cuteness with this holiday novella.

I swear all her books would make such funny movies/tv shows. Universe, get on that! I'm looking forward to the other siblings' books! :)
Lisa
This is a super cute story I'm a bit mad @ myself for not reading it sooner but ANYWAY

one night stand-turns-something more trope!!! also the Wongs!!!!

Jackie Lau writes family so well I love the Wongs so much
Jess
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish this had been a little longer, but I really enjoyed reading it.
Celine
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this romance novella. Lily is an accountant who likes making lists, and she has one box to tick off tonight: have a one night stand. She runs into Nick - a rich playboy, whose mum happens to be friends with Lily's.

A Match Made for Thanksgiving is super cheesy in a delightful way. I loved the explicit consent and the meddling family. The writing in the second half of the book was somewhat weaker than in the first half, but it concluded in an enjoyable way. I look forwa
Melissa
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute, the right amount of steamy and laugh out loud funny!
The perfect little thanksgiving holiday rom com for those that like to add in a little seasonal read here and there.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Jacque
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!!

This book as so delightful!! Lily and nick were so lovely, and nicks family was hysterical😂 and it was so sexy!!! Very here for it👏🏼
Viper Spaulding
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book!

This lovely romance checked all my boxes. From their first meeting to their holiday dinners, Nick and Lily are just absolutely adorable together. Lily is sweet but self-aware, willing to risk her heart and live life to its fullest. Nick is terrific, strong and independent, but with enough sense to know when to just roll with it.

I loved how even when Nick thought they were moving too fast for his comfort, he still was the one pushing for more. The family scenes
Angela Gibson
Perfect holiday romance read. Light and fluffy dessert!
Emma
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-lily-white
3.5 stars rounded up for not insulting my intelligence.

I do not have a twitter account. I used to follow one lawyer who wrote about math so that tells you what I value. I now read exactly one persons twitter - the author Courtney Milan. Again there is lots of law and sometimes math. But every once in a while there is book recommendation, usually for an author featuring non-traditional romance characters. This time it was a Canadian author! I figured I could support a fellow canuck and spit out t
farmwifetwo
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didn't like it. Was going to grumble about it's barely there plot and quick HEA and it seemed short.... now I just realized it was barely over 100pgs. I hadn't realized as I was reading it.

It was just "ok". It's a lot harder to write a short story IMO than a long one. If you just want a quick cute story... this is it.
Liz
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was very cute and had some fun moments (the Nanaimo bars!), but I never really figured out why they found each other so attractive? Like the set up of the book predicates they’re physically attracted to each other and that worked but it never really deepened much beyond that. Just a bit too fast and bit too instalove-y.
mara0b
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was so cute quick but also brought up some interesting, more serious topics but with a personal happy ending for the characters which was super nice because I wanted a light-hearted, joyful read and this was exactly it! No miscommunication! WE LOVE TO SEE THE MCs TALKING!!!
Jennifer Brown
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Sweet, low angst story. Lily and Nick fit so well together. I thoroughly enjoyed their story
How I rate a story. (In order of importance)
Does it keep my attention? 🌟 yes, from start to finish
Is it plausible / logical? 🌟 yes, except when his family showed up at the end when she was sick. That seemed out of place and didn't add to the story.
Grammatical errors or odd, repetitive language? 🌟 nothing stood out
Do I like the characters? 🌟 yes, very much Lily and Nick were relatable.
Overall, wo
Malin
Nick Wong is an advertising executive ("like in Mad Men?"), who very much enjoys his lifestyle as a wealthy, handsome (he apparently looks a lot like Henry Golding - nice!) and carefree bachelor in Toronto. He has a gorgeous penthouse on the 53rd floor with gorgeous views of the city, he can go to the best restaurants, clubs and bars and meet beautiful women. He can find and eat amazing food from all over the world. A completely different existence from the place where he grew up, boring Mosquit ...more
Lauren loves llamas
Content warnings: (view spoiler)

I’m a pretty big fan of Jackie Lau’s books. They’re funny, intrinsically Canadian, and usually feature lots of delicious food (Nanaimo bars are the standout here). This novella feels a little fluffier than usual, but I still loved it.

Nick was glad to escape his small hometown of Mosquito Bay, and the only thing that keeps him coming back is holidays with his family. This (Canadian) Thanksgiving, however, they’ve taken medd
Melanie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, arc-author
A Match Made for Thanksgiving was a fantastic read with an amazing romance and a great group of side characters.

Nick Wong enjoys his life in the city and all it has to offer including the wide variety of single women. His hometown of Mosquito Bay can’t compete, but he heads home for Thanksgiving only to discover his family has set up Nick and his three siblings with blind dates. The problem? His brother Greg’s date is Lily Tseng, Nick’s latest one night stand that he can’t get out of his head. L
Emmalita
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Canadian romance authors, Jackie Lau, has seen a lot of holiday romances featuring white characters, but very few with biracial or Asian characters. She decided to correct that with a series of four novellas, one for each of the Wong siblings. The Wongs grew up in the small Ontario town of Mosquito Bay. The first novella centers around Canadian Thanksgiving, which is this weekend. This is a sweet, fluffy novella with low conflict, some steamy sex, baking, and a playboy who unc ...more
Frida
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Aww. Fun, sweet and cozy!
Caro
A Match Made for Thanksgiving is the first installment in Jackie Lau's series of holiday novellas Holidays With the Wongs, each book centering on one Wong sibling finding love during various holidays.

Nick Wong, a high-powered advertising executive based in Toronto, shares a one-night stand with Lily Tseng right before heading to his hometown, Mosquito Bay, for Thanksgiving. One-night stands are the norm for him. Finding himself unable to stop thinking about them afterwards is not. So discoverin
Katie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the conceit of these novellas; there are four Wong children, all unattached, and their parents and grandparents hatch a plan to set them up with potential partners at (Canadian) Thanksgiving. Lau is writing the types of books she (and I) wants to see – holiday romances featuring people of color. I’ve read several romances featuring people of color this year and was happy to add two more to the list, specifically to check off my unofficial holiday tradition.

Of the two I preferred A Match M
Amanda
3.5 stars, rounding down

Jackie Lau is pretty much an autobuy for me. She’s been a big slump-buster in the past and there’s something comforting about her books. (Maybe it’s all the food!) This is a cute Canadian Thanksgiving-set novella with a ONS that turns into more. There wasn’t much conflict in this, and normally I love that. But I’ve actually... been in the mood for angst lately? This took me longer to read than usual but it’s still sweet and fluffy.

CW: death of parent in the past is refere
Allie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This was a perfect holiday romance novella!

It's set in Toronto! A place I just visited this summer and keep talking about because the food was amazing. And there's lots of eating of food and talking about food and joking about food! (I mean, it's a Thanksgiving book, but that's not even the half of it. I'm not even sure what soup dumplings are, but I want some now.) And awkward family setups resulting in great dialogue!

And the best thing of all ... having conversations with each other instead of
b.andherbooks
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What if your meddling family set you and your siblings up with blind dates for Thanksgiving dinner...and your brother's date just happens to be the gorgeous woman you just had a glorious one-night stand with?

Steamy, cute, and full of edible descriptions of food and sex that will leave you wishing for an invite to the Wong's!

Available now!

CW for parental death (in the past). Thank you to the author for the ARC!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Grumpy Jake
  • Temporary Wife Temptation (The Heirs of Hansol, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • House Rules (Uptown, #3)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • A Taste of Her Own Medicine (Small Town Romance #1)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Hearts on Hold
  • American Sweethearts (Dreamers, #4)
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted #2)
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Harbor (Beards & Bondage, #3)
Jackie Lau decided she wanted to be a writer when she was in grade two, sometime between writing “The Heart That Got Lost” and “The Land of Shapes.” She later studied engineering and worked as a geophysicist before turning to writing romance novels.

Jackie lives in Toronto with her husband, and despite living in Canada her whole life, she hates winter. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking, hi

Holidays with the Wongs (4 books)
  • A Second Chance Road Trip for Christmas (Holidays with the Wongs, #2)
  • A Fake Girlfriend for Chinese New Year (Holidays with the Wongs, #3)
  • A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day (Holidays with the Wongs, #4)