Start by marking “The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  26,674 Ratings  ·  1,650 Reviews
From breathtaking stop-action animation to bittersweet modern fairy tales, filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance – witty and macabre at once. Now he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children – misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds. His lovingly lurid illustrations evoke bo ...more
Published October 22nd 1997 by Rob Weisbach Books (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories

Tina
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is me--a huge Tim Burton fan (or so I thought):

One day, while carelessly browsing the Internets, I came across a book that I had no idea existed. I couldn't believe my eyes and felt especially stupid when realization hit me: I must have been living under a rock in a God-forsaken place, as never before had I heard of this book:

Of course, as soon as I realized that I had to have this book, another realization hit bullseye: remember that God-forsaken place, the one where I lived under a rock?
Ahmad Sharabiani
The melancholy death of Oyster Boy & other stories, Timothy John Burton, c1997
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a 1997 poetry book written and illustrated by film director Tim Burton. The poems, which are full of black humor, tell stories of hybrid kids, spontaneous transformers, and women who have babies to win over men.
Some characters of the book would later appear in the Flash series Stainboy, which was created, directed, and written by Burton: Stick Boy and Match
Florencia
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: burton fans, dark humor lovers.
Recommended to Florencia by: me!
I am a fan of Burton's movies. So, I was kind of interested in his writings. It wasn't a big surprise to find out that the level of awesome weirdness was the same. The characteristic Burton mixture of darkness and uncomfortable tenderness.

I mean, he wrote some really freaky poems (technically, not that great, and that is a charming plus) but with such sweetness and sensibility that you feel touched. Well, most of the times, just sad. It is written in a way that seems to be funny, and for some p
Cecily
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, poetry
A short collection of macabre poems, illustrated like a children's book, but aimed more at the YA market, and delightful for dark-thinking adults as well.

There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a most inappropriate present from Santa.

Occasionally the rhythm doesn't quite work at the first attempt, but even so, it's great fun.

It is strongly reminiscent of Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children (my review HERE), bu
Melki
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this tiny tome was sort of like taking a prolonged vacation on The Island of Really, Really Misfit Toys. The natives are strange but friendly. They take some getting used to, but after a while, you'll want to hug them...BUT be careful - many of them have sharp objects sticking out of their bellies.

description

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes
put up his aluminum tree.
It looked pretty strange
because he couldn't see.

The above is a pretty good example of what's in this book
Kyriaki
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Τι τέλειο μικρούτσικο βιβλιαράκι ήταν αυτό! Γκυκούτσικες και σκοτεινούτσικες ιστοριούλες γραμμένες σε στοίχους με πολύ ωραία διακριτικά, χρωματιστά και ασπρόμαυρα σχεδιάκια, πολύ πολύ ταιριαστά με την ατμόσφαιρα του βιβλίου!!
Πολύ πολύ μου άρεσε!
sweet jane
Ο κόσμος του Τιμ Μπάρτον είναι τρομακτικά γοητευτικός. Ποτέ άλλοτε το αλλόκοτο, το διαφορετικό, δεν είχε τόσο γλυκιά υπόσταση. Ήρωες με κεφάλι στρειδιού και σώμα κρεβατιού έχουν μεγαλύτερη καρδιά και από άνθρωπο. Πραγματικά υπέροχο βιβλιαράκι!
Ariel
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was FANTASTIC. OH MAN. SO GOOD.

I don't have much to say. It's a collection of short poems and accompanying doodles by Tim Burton. It's damned creepy, freaking depressing, laugh out loud funny, and utterly awesome.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, fiction, humor, poetry, goth
This collection of dark comedy poetry was at times very funny and creative, but at other times too strange for its own good. It's a good balance I guess, my favourite one being the 'Toxic Boy' poem.
Flor
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un poemario gótico y con humor al mejor estilo de Tim Burton .!! 🖤

Me duró menos de media hora jajaj pero lo disfruté mucho .!!

Los que más me gustaron fueron :

🖤Chico mancha
🖤La melancólica muerte de chico ostra
🖤La chica vudú
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • The Boy Who Kicked Pigs
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 2
  • 12 Terrors of Christmas
Timothy "Tim" William Burton is a prolific American film director/writer, best known for the dark imagry and quirky nature of his popular films. He is also the author and illustrator of the poetry collection "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories."
More about Tim Burton...
“Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot.
He liked her cute figure,
he thought she was hot.

But could a flame ever burn
for a match and a stick?
It did quite literally;
he burned up quick.”
434 likes
“Son, are you happy?
I don't mean to pry,
but do you dream of Heaven?
Have you ever wanted to die?”
213 likes