Start by marking “After the War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside” as Want to Read:
After the War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside

After the War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside

Published May 7th 2020 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about After the War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the War

Start your review of After the War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside
Jae
It's quite a skill to portray an important subject so tenderly and and with such compassion in only 118 pages. An incredible story of survival and loss, and of eventually finding a little peace and a sense of belonging. I found this book very moving and am so glad I came across it.
For adults, middle-grade children and just about everyone.
Wendy Bamber
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really beautifully written book that moved me to tears on a number of occasions (though this isn’t difficult, I’m incredibly soft). I likened this in standard of writing to the Once, Then and Now series - really! Told from the perspective of a teenage boy, this was easier to read because it is set at the end of the war when we know Yossi and his close friends are safe at a beautiful hostel in The Lake District being cared for by kind people and community. There are multiple flashbacks which are ...more
Steph
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is incredible. The friendship between the boys is a thread of love, pair this with some gentle kindness throughout from the people of the village and you’ve got a winner. I loved all of the characters - big or small, they added so much to the story. A real feeling of community and belonging. There are some scenes in this which are harrowing and thought provoking. I appreciate the care and research that went into this book
Freya
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Tricia
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A touching portrait of the refugees welcomed to Ambleside after the Second World War.
A Severs
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tom Palmer's latest run of war-themed stories continues with 'After The War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside' - a story focusing in on three Polish teenagers who are brought to the safety of the Lake District for recuperation after Europe is liberated in 1945.

The story follows Yossi and his friends Mordecai and Leo as they arrive on the Calgarth Estate beside Lake Windemere and begin to attempt, with the help of a multitude of kind heroes, to rebuild their shattered lives. As they gain in strength a
Lindsay
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moving, powerful, important story told with honesty, skill and compassion. The kindness and hope shown to the children arriving in the Lake District after seeing and suffering the worst of humanity, and the bravery of the children in surviving, rediscovering a semblance of normality, and slowly being able to try and look to the future, whilst carrying the awful memories of those they have lost. The strong bond of friendship between Yossi, Leo and Mordecai was portrayed so well. I was eager to re ...more
Strawberry
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and hopeful story inspired by real events. Yossi and his friends Mordecai and Leo are among a group of children who arrive in the UK after surviving the horrors of the Holocaust and World War II. Their stay is supposed to help them recover from the terrible life they had been experiencing, but while the children start to adjust to their new lives, Yossi is haunted by memories of what happened to his family.

This is quite a powerful novel and one which I think many children sho
The Library  Mouse Tales
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was inspired by the incredible true story of the Windermere Boys. After surviving the Nazi Concentration Camps, 300 hundred child Holocaust Survivors were brought to stay in the wartime village of Calgarth Estate in 1945, near Windermere were they could start to recover from the horrible things they had experienced.
The story is set in the Summer of 1945, after the end of the Second World War. Three boys (Yossi, Leo and Mordecai) are among three hundred children who arrive in the English La
Jo
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up in a little local bookshop having loved the other books I've read by Tom Palmer. I knew it was going to be heartwrenching, I knew it might not have a happy ending. I did not expect the first 20 pages to be the first point I welled up!
Yossi, Mordecai and Leo are Polish, Jewish teenagers who have survived the horrors of concentration camps and been brought to Lake Windermere, a place they can feel safe and at peace. Focussing mostly on Yossi's story, we learn how there were fight
Hannah Miles
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most thought provoking books I have read. At times it is an uncomfortable read, but good, the content of this book should never ever happen again.

The main protagonist is 15 year old Yossi who has arrived in Ambleside along with his friends Mordeci and Leo and the other children rescued from concentration camps including Auschwitz.

You as a reader relive true life events that Jewish people would have endured and witnessed through memory flash backs that Yossi has. Tom Palmer h
Stephen Connor
A moving story of three Polish boys who have moved to England after their persecution at the hands of the Nazis.

Primarily, the story is about their rehabilitation and reintegration into an accepting and tolerant society. The community at Windermere cares for the boys, and that in itself is alien to them. Every act of kindness that is shown towards them invites a memory of their time at the concentration camps, or at home as the Nazis came for the Jews. The time-slips, for me, are the most poign
Helen Tamblyn-Saville
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wonder-bookshop
I read this thoughtful and compassionate book in one sitting. It is clear the amount of research and care that went into this lovingly written story, inspired by the tragic real-life events.

I loved Yossi and his friends, the hope that they clung to as they adjusted to their new lives. We experience Yossi's flashbacks which are harrowing, leaving the reader with a very real lump in their throat, and the author shows the clear PTSD that is unsurprisingly suffered.

An emotive read, that is written i
Zoe Antoniades
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, moving and very well told.

The subject of the Holocaust is never an easy one to read about and I can imagine it would have been even more difficult to write about. To be able to do this in a way that is clear, accessible and manageable for young readers is a great achievement and Tom Palmer does this with sincerity and true expertise. He has put his heart, mind and soul into this book, researching the truth behind the stories meticulously, respectfully and with admirable commitment. A t
Cathy
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this sensitively told story of Jewish children rescued from Auschwitz and brought to an estate on the banks of Lake Windermere. Here it is hoped they can begin to heal and throughout the story the smallest details of things we take completely for granted today are shown to have such a huge significance for these survivors of concentration camps. From not having to fight for food, clean sheets, being able to learn... it's all written so beautifully. Mixed with the tragedy there is ...more
Emma Ellis
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a Primary school librarian from Leeds and Tom recently visited our school. I'd heard alot of buzz about this book so wanted to give it a go. My favourite thing about the book is how it doesn't talk down to it's audience, there is so much additional information for a KS2 reader.
I loved the references to Leeds and the links to real history. I enjoyed that Tom went to realism rather than a Hollywood ending and wrote in the way that discussion can be opened up in the classroom. Perfect for reluc
Lisa Day
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Based on a true story, author Tom Palmer did an amazing job of explaining what life was life after about 300 children were freed from various Nazis concentration camps and sent to a real camp in Britan where they can recover. This book is and perhaps even more heartbreaking than other Holocaust stories as we learn what life was like for these children during the Holocaust but also after it - including coming back from starvation and waiting and hoping for their families to find them. My heart br ...more
Jean Kirby
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the children (mostly orphans) who were rescued from Auschwitz concentration camp at the the end of the war, They were sent to Windermere for a few months, where they found kindness, food and clothing and ways to deal with the grief and trauma.
The book is very interesting and brings out many emotions as the boys relive their experiences during the war.
It is a very easy read and suitable for dyslexics
Anna Wigley
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book really shows how terrible the Holocaust was especially for children. It's set after the war when three hundred children move to the English Lake District where they are fed and recovered. They are also being tried to reunite with their families.

This book made me feel so many emotions as I learned about life after the war. I would definitely recommend this. It's a great book and really makes you realise how terrible the Holocaust was.
Clare Marie
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is extremely powerful informative and well written. It's written in a manner that shows how children felt but it's written sensitively. I learnt a lot about Judaism, as well as the war from reading this book. I was hoping for a different ending, but it finished honestly and shows that after everything they'd been through they still didn't have the outcome they wanted. ...more
Lauren Stewart
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A simple story, exploring the life of 3 concentration camp survivors (teenagers) and what the first few months of freedom had in store for them. The flashbacks to experiences of the war were very emotive and straight talking to allow the reader an insight to the horrors that were experienced, but without gory detail to allow access for children.
Fiona
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
A very touching story based on the true experiences of Jewish children brought over to the Lake District after the end of the Second World War. Survivors of the Nazi Concentration Camps, the horrors and loss that they suffered are heartbreaking. The central friendship between the three boys is very moving and sensitively told and the lasting message is one of hope.
Anne
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
A sensitively written story about the Windermere Boys - Holocaust survivors who were among 300 children who were taken to the Lake District to begin to recover and rebuild their lives, drawn from real stories. This is a snapshot of the immediate post war months and includes flashbacks. Quite moving.
Cal Littlehales
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Byline reads From Auschwitz to Ambleside.
Everyone should read this book. It's not always an easy read but it is a necessary and essential read. From extreme sadness and despair through to hope for the future. Wholeheartedly recommend.
Mel Smith
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Well written and captured the events of the time. The main characters and their journeys makes you realise how hard it must have been. A fantastic, emotive book but definitely a must read!
Runningrara
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Reading for work is always a pleasure when it involves a new @tompalmerauthor book. Top of the stack for my Y6 when we get back to school.
Paula Hale
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of loss and friendship. This is a wonderful story to use with a WW2 topic and we will definitely be getting this into class.
David Bywater
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really emotive and educational.
Caroline
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
Such a moving, touching book based on a true story.
Michael
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
A true story, fictionalized, simply and movingly told.

• The Night Bus Hero
  • The Last Paper Crane
  • Boy, Everywhere
  • The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
  • October, October
  • Orphans of the Tide (Orphans of the Tide #1)
  • The Valley of Lost Secrets
  • The Haunting of Aveline Jones
  • Lark
  • Crater Lake
  • The Wild Way Home
  • Kidnap on the California Comet (Adventures on Trains #2)
  • When The World Was Ours: A book about finding hope in the darkest of times