Start by marking “All Adults Here” as Want to Read:
All Adults Here

All Adults Here

When Astrid Strick witnesses a school bus accident in the center of town, it jostles loose a repressed memory from her young parenting days decades earlier. Suddenly, Astrid realizes she was not quite the parent she thought shed been to her three, now-grown children. But to what consequence?

Astrids youngest son is drifting and unfocused, making parenting mistakes of his
Hardcover, First, 368 pages
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about All Adults Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Adults Here

Start your review of All Adults Here
Ceecee
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to be published shortly before publication on 9th July
Ang
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was entertaining, though there was definitely zero plot. (I mean, maybe a minuscule plot. Hard to find. Need a magnifying glass.) I think it's a big of a set-piece. A truly enjoyable one, though! I will have NO trouble at all handing this to patrons looking for beach reading in 2020, I'll tell you what.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the digital ARC.
Annissa Armstrong
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It might be my favorite Emma Straub. The relationships and the character development was so well written. This author has a great writing style and makes her books very interesting reads. This book comes out on May 5 so be ready to purchase!!!
Hitha
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you're having Gilmore Girls withdrawals but wish the show were more progressive, then you'll love Emma Straub's latest. The Strick family is all around unlikable at first read, but each character becomes more and more endearing as the book progresses. It's slower paced than Straub's previous books, but I appreciated it after the chaotically fun final chapters. It's a fun, poignant read that will stick with you long after you've finished it.
Janet
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emma Straub does it again! She is adept at introducing us to a flawed yet lovable cast of characters as they learn to navigate aging and family dynamics. 4.5 stars.
Elle Rudy
Mar 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways, 2020
*Thanks to Riverhead Books & Goodreads for an advance copy!
Claire Messano
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma Straubs best work yet! A complicated story of the joyous and tough moments that families face throughout their lives as we all get through this thing called life. I loved every minute of it. ...more
Lorri Steinbacher
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's fun to read about families that are just dysfunctional enough, the type of dysfunction that comes from people just trying to do and be their best and the missed connections and lack of understanding that leads to dysfunction-lite. It's wonderful, aspirational even, to read a book in which a trans teen can come out to people with little fanfare and nearly universal acceptance. You might think it's unrealistic, but hey, what does it hurt to write the world the way it should be?

Recommended for
Natalie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first glance this looks like a novel about a family in crisis, but as I read and peeled back the layers, it was apparent that Straub used the Strick family as a vehicle to explore 21st century life, sexuality and changing mores.

The author cleverly inserts family members in turmoil as they confront unmarried pregnancy via a sperm bank, bullying, internet dangers, gender dysphoria and lesbian love. Yet, none of this seems forced or outrageous. Straub manages to have the family going through
Dkbbookgirl
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good book
Complicated family
Lots of individuals searching for their place in the world- and within family
Mary
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars are inadequate. I loved this novel a lot. Thanks, Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance, for the chance to receive a copy of this ARC at the SIBA#19 Trade Show in September, 2019. Id add more but I respect the guidelines not to quote from or give away details about an ARC. Ill say this: get a copy on May 5, 2020, the publication date of ALL ADULTS HERE. ...more
Karen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Willow
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
***i received an arc of this novel from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review***

i just want to say first and foremost that this book was so beautiful. people are so fascinating to me and i love getting to know them. this novel was perfect for me in that it was a careful examination of the intricate web that encompasses family relationships. I havent always like reading about family relationships but now i love it. i find these kinds of novels to be so intriguing and heartwarming. i also
Hayley
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Ms Straubs The Vacationers and Modern Lovers, but this new novel is really a cut above and I LOVED it!

Set in the quaint New England town of Clapham, the novel revolves around three generations of the Strick family. Astrid, the matriarch, witnesses the accidental death of another town resident, and this memento mori causes her to question the way she has lived her life.

Told from multiple perspectives, each of the characters holds a secret and it is only when these start to come
Dave Wheeler
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Adults Here, a family sagà to keep you captured to the pages from start to finish. The mother Astrid lost here husband a few years back leaving here to bring up her children alone. Two boys Elliot & Nicky plus Porter who is now pregnant and going it alone. They are all adults traveling along the road as, well adults warts and all.
Cecelia is Nicky's daughter who had been sent to live with his Mum after a incident with her best friend (now not her best friend). On the day Cecilia arrives
Katherine Mary
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Families that are on the hot mess express are my jam. Haha!

Emma Straubs All Adults Here is a smash! Am I surprised? Nope--I have always loved her novels!

At the start of the novel, Astrid Strick is a witness to a school bus accident. It reignites a memory for her and she begins to realize that she may not have been the parent she thought she has been to her children all these years.

Astrid is a widowed mother of three children- 2 boys and a girl. Porter, Nicky and Elliot were so well written and
Mainlinebooker
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Peggy
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Riverhead Books for an advance copy of this book.

3.5 stars rounded up. Emma Straub has set this family drama in the heart of the Hudson Valley, which rings true to small towns in that area. Each member of the Strick family learns more about each other over the course of the novel. They discover truths about events in the past as the novel slowly weaves through their lives over the course of a few months in the fall.

A single tragic event at the start triggers intense introspection on
Heidi Sandiford
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a much needed break from my usual psychological thrillers, especially in our current crazy virus-stricken world. Well written in Emma Staub's great style. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Vacationers, but this was still a very enjoyable read about the lives of a family in the Hudson Valley. Every family has its problems and secrets and this book does a great job of describing the issues and secrets every family member has in an entertaining way. The issues are modern: social media, ...more
Kim McGee
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
A mother looks at her grown children, grandchildren and her own life as she searches for truth. Astrid's husband is dead, her grown children are scattered and she has agreed to house her teenage granddaughter but she doesn't feel fulfilled until the day she admits that she is in love with a woman. Female focused look at her roles as mother, wife, caregiver and friend. Other women in the book find their voice as single parents or friends being brave and standing up for
Sharon
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
An adult book dealing with familial, personal, and community relationships. No one in the family seems to know just who they are in relation to anyone else, from the 13 year old granddaughter who is sent to live with her grandmother (the reason seems to be rather indefinable although she apparently "told on" one of her friends who got involved in something inappropriate--and the telling backfired in unexpected ways. The widowed grandmother has discovered she is in love with a woman and so it ...more
Lauri
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I thoroughly enjoyed this book that explores family dynamics and the bonds and moments that frame our relationships with our parents and siblings. The characters confront their mistakes, misunderstandings, and insecurities as they continue to grow on their life journeys and to learn acceptance. The characters are well-rounded, flawed, genuine and relatable. A well-written novel that engaged me
James Beggarly
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I was lucky enough to win this delightful book in a Goodreads Giveaway. Longtime widow Astrid Strick watches from across the street as a woman about her age is hit by a school bus and killed. Astrid is reminded at once of how short life is and wants to change the person she is, especially in how she relates to her three grown children. This is a wonderful book, stuffed with family members and told with a lot of heart and good cheer.
Louise
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maggie Holmes
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A feel-good read for all those self-doubters out there, especially parents. With teenagers, pregnant women, siblings, adult children, grandparents, wives and husbands, hetero, trans and lesbians, this book gives you insight into the thinking and emotions of so many people that you end up wanting to stay with them, have a coffee or drink, and just share. (Except for Jeremy and his family who don't quite get their comeuppance.) I can't wait to visit the Strick family again on audio.
Ashley
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
Karen
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want this novel full of humor and heart to end. Emma Straub once again delivers a delightful, immersive read with lessons to be learned for all. Take the plunge. You'll be glad that you did.
Gennifer
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite Straub book to date. The characters are quirky and complex. The familial relationships are believable and relatable. Straub's writing is fluid and the storyline is compelling. I nice break from all the thrillers I've been reading.
Mrs. HK Houghton-Kiel
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored All Adults here. Thanks to NetGalley for my Kindle review copy. I want to move to Clapham NY, get my hair cut at Shear Beauty, eat at Spiros Pancake House, shop at Secondhand News and have a drink at Buddys. I need to become friends with Porter Strick, eat her goat cheese, and find out what happens to Cecelia and August. Emma Straubs characters are so flawed, they are all perfect. Beautiful depiction of family secrets, family love, parental mistakes, and second and third chances. ...more
Katie Bennett

• The Knockout Queen
  • He Started It
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Transcendent Kingdom
Emma Straub is the New York Timesbestselling author of the novels All Adults Here, Modern Lovers, The Vacationers, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, and the short story collection Other People We Married. Straub's work has been published in twenty countries, and she and her husband own Books Are Magic, an independent bookstore in Brooklyn, New York.

Articles featuring this book

Spring ushers in blooming flowers, warmer weather, and more daylight hours for reading! We're here to help you beat any lingering winter b...