Start by marking “The Mothers” as Want to Read:

Five Women.
They meet at their NCT Group. The only thing they have in common is they're all pregnant.

Five Secrets.
Three years later, they are all good friends. Aren't they?

One Missing Husband.
Now the police have come knocking. Someone knows something.

And the trouble with secrets is that someone always tells.
Published January 9th 2020 by Trapeze

To ask other readers questions about The Mothers, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jen Mactaggart Because of the genetic abnormality that caused the death of the first child. It was evidently on the father's side so she could conceive naturally wit…moreBecause of the genetic abnormality that caused the death of the first child. It was evidently on the father's side so she could conceive naturally with someone else without the risk.(less)

Start your review of The Mothers
Dem
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this one! An entertaining, clever and suspenseful psychological thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.

I picked this one up on a day trip to the book store, I was swayed by the blurb which sounded like a fun read and it certainly was.

Five Women.... They met at the NCT Group. The only thing they have in common is they’re all pregnant.
Five Secrets...... Three years later, they’re all good friends. Aren’t they?
One missing husband.......... He’s di
Liz Barnsley
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured The Mothers in one sitting it is excessively addictive with a terrific cast of characters and an involving, emotionally resonant, twisty mystery.

Sarah J Naughton is a masterful plotter with a keen eye for divisive, entertaining and authentic characters. Any parent will relate to the sometimes funny, sometimes sad vagaries of parenting and the mystery element is steeped in atmosphere as we watch this group of Mum’s come together and fall apart in equal measure.

Then of course there’s th
Louise Wilson
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A group of five women formed a friendship when they met at their antenatal group. Now, several years later they are still friends and see each other regularly. But one of their husbands has gone missing. The police have been called....

I'm afraid this is one of those books that I can't say too much about. The book explores: friendships, motherhood and secrets. The characters relationships were complex. It's well written and thought out. Grab yourself a copy of this book you won't be disappointed.
Karen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five women, Chrissy, Electra, Skye, Jen, and Bella – all very diverse personalities and who, on the face of it, only have one thing in common. Children. They wouldn’t normally be friends if they hadn’t met at an ante natal group. For some reason their friendship has endured and they continue to meet for drinks at each other’s houses, even though it sometimes seems that they actually don’t really like each other very much.

The main focus of the story is Bella and her husband Ewan. Bella reports he
Amber
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 ! I binge read this book ! And while the concept was not particularly original ( think big little lies ) I thought this was very well written & the characters very well developed
Stina
★★★★★ 4.5 stars (rounded up)

If real life hadn't gotten in the way, I would have devoured THE MOTHERS is one sitting! It is brilliant, compelling and so completely addictive with a twist that just deliciously clever. My first read by Sarah J. Naughton had me turning the pages though my eyelids were drooping on 2 hours sleep. A totally unexpected well twisted and ingenious read, THE MOTHERS has an easy reading style that draws you in from the first page.

Five women from different walks of life, who
Louise Wilson
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of five women formed a friendship when they met at antenatal group. Now, several years later, theynare still friends and see each other regularly. But one of their husbands is missing. The police have been called....

I'm afraid this is one of these books that I can't say too much about. The book explores: friendships, motherhood and secrets. The characters relationships are complex. It's well written and thought out. Grab yourself a copy of this book you won't be disappointed. I really en
Shalini
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A skillfully crafted thriller with seamless subplots, the book was a delight to read.

Family, friendship, motherhood was well portrayed. The characters were well etched. The plot had enough twists to keep my pulse rate on a steady high.

An engaging quick read where I could read stress free.
Ali
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!
Ha! This was really good! Totally unexpected, well twisted, smart and - I must admit - quite emotional at times, too.

A circle of mothers bound by the baby issues, antenatal worries and first tooth problems. Do those mommy groups ever grow beyond nappy rash and milk supply chats?

Bella is one of them. A happy mom but not as happy as a wife. Things gone a bit stale, she got a bit frumpy. It all goes through the same cycle - day in, day out. Until one day Bella's husband, Ewan, disappears.
Five very different women all attended the same NCT Group during their pregnancies. Despite that being the only thing they had in common over the years they carry on meeting regularly until the morning after one of their usual meetups Bella wakes up to find her husband missing.

The Mothers is told from multiple points of view, with each of the five women in The Mothers Club getting their own chapters, alongside chapters from the point of view of Iona, the Detective Inspector investigating the dis
Kelly Van Damme
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Mothers alternates between present events and the history of the five mothers, starting three years earlier after they’d met at prenatal classes. Bella, Electra, Chrissy, Jen and Skye couldn’t be more different if they tried, but somehow they work. Or do they? When Bella’s husband vanishes it’s clear that this is just the tip of the iceberg, that there’s more to the mothers than you see at first glance. A police investigation ensues, but this is in no way a police procedural. While there are ...more
Joanna Park
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mothers is a very compelling addictive read which I thoroughly enjoyed. The easy writing style soon drew me into the story and allowed me to just relax and enjoy it.

The story is told from two different storylines, one in the present day following the police as they try to solve Ewan’s disappearance and the other in the past following the five women’s friendship. I found I enjoyed both threads equally as it was great to follow the fabulous Iona in her investigation but also fun to learn more
Melanie’s reads
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such an easy enjoyable read with a great cast of characters or should we say suspects? I loved how about a third of the way through, the group of five get given cocktails based on their personalities. I would be a hanky panky (make of that what you will).
These five would never have been friends had it not been for meeting at NCT, they are exceedingly different but it works. Bella, Chrissy, Sky, Electra and Jen each with their own problems whether that is personal, financial , work or k ...more
Mellisa
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has left me speechless. Honestly it's amazing. It started off a little slow and I was a bit wary but it soon picked up and WOW I did not want to put it down! Everyone needs to read this!!

I loved the characters and the true spirit of friendship throughout the book - Bella, Electra, Skye, Chrissy and Jen. It showed the jealousy and strength of friendship and how even the lives that look perfect on the outside can actually be awful. I just loved the whole story, I loved the twists, I love
Dawn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five women from different walks of life meet at an NCT group and become firm friends. Through a the ups and downs of domestic life, love, pain and children they are there for each other. Bella’s husband disappears and the police are investigating his disappearance and suspect the ladies have some involvement.
What a bloody good read this was. The characters are built up well and you can sympathise with them all. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest rev
marnie | once upon a time book reviews
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The seven lines used for the blurb of this story instantly had me intrigued and I couldn’t wait to get stuck into reading this. In this case, less is more in describing what The Mothers is all about. Right from the get go I was completely immersed in this story and I was so invested into each of these women’s lives, that it had me racing through the pages to see how it was all going to unfold. Chock full of mystery and suspense with twists and turns aplenty, The Mothers is a great read to lose y ...more
Janice
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every one of us should have someone we can call to help bury a body (figuratively, you understand). Bella, Chrissy, Sky, Electra and Jen are a rather unlikely group of friends, but they have each other. They’ve stayed together despite not having very much in common: entirely different personalities, living and financial conditions and parenting styles.

After meeting up at an ante-natal group, they formed a close bond that three years on, is stronger than ever, and when Bella’s husband Ewan goes m
Sian Whitehead
May 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Julia
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. This book started off well for me, then as it progressed I lost interest, found it quite far fetched and thought the characters were awful!
Emma Shaw
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an exhilarating read this turned out to be! Sizzling with tension, this had me on the edge of my seat and up until the wee hours as I couldn’t put it down. The author threw some clever curveballs to throw us off track and I found myself unable to guess where it was going or who I should suspect. A heady mix that made this a delight to read.

When banker Ewan Upton is reported missing Iona and her partner are called in to investigate. His wife Bella is a mess. She has no idea where he cou
The Glass House Online Magazine
Who Would You Call To Help Hide a Body?

If you killed someone - who would you call to help you hide the body? Let's face it, we all have that one person we would turn to if all hell broke loose. What if your husband went missing? Who would you turn to?

Firstly - a quick apology. This review for the blog tour a *little* late - due to unforeseen circumstances (mainly getting stuck in China on the way home for a Christmas holiday - where I promptly forgot you are blocked from all social media..) but
Celeste Ní raois
Five Women.

Five Secrets.
Three years later, they are all good friends. Aren't they?

One Missing Husband.

Now the police have come knocking. Someone knows something.

And the trouble with secrets is that someone always tells.

Well, where do I start with this review only with I LOVED it. This book mainly centres around 2 characters Bella and her husband Ewan. The chapters alternate between present time and over th
Kerry L
Jul 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lavender
„Five Women. Five Secrets. One Missing Husband.”

Five women met when they were pregnant and stayed in touch. They became close friends despite the fact that they have totally different personalities. The story is told in two timelines. In the present there is Iona, a police detective, who soon gets a feeling that something is not right with the story the wife and her friends tell about the missing husband. The past timeline is told from all of the women’s POV. We learn how they met, became friend
No Books
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved The Mothers!
Naughton has written such an enchanting tale, wrought with tension and suspense and she really had me believing that the mothers club didn’t like each other!
The Mothers is the story of 5 new mothers who met at their antenatal classes and although they’re vastly different people, they vowed to stick together forever, whatever. When tragedy strikes one of the mothers, will they band together to save her or throw her under the bus?
Naughton’s characters are vibrant and clever
Angie F
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five star suspense from beginning to end. This is a fantastic read with such spellbinding moments of tension I had to remind myself to breathe. All leading to a momentous conclusion. I loved every minute.
Serena Louise
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mothers

This is my first of Sarah’s books and I can say won’t be the last. I was drawn to this book by the blurb and the length of it as it curled just under 300 pages for a quick, thrilling read.

We’ve got a cast of characters from the mums themselves to their partners and children. I’d say it would be difficult to keep track of them if you were to put the book down and step away from the story for a while. Even after reading in two sittings, sometimes I had to remind myself who was who.

We h
Clare Robinson
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Five women who on the surface seem to have little in common. They all have very different personalities and very different lives. Meeting when they are all pregnant at the same time their friendship continues as they meet regularly to drink and discuss their lives. When one of their husbands go missing secrets threaten to spill out that could change all of their lives for the worse forever.

I don't want to say too much about the plot in order to not inadvertently spoil anything but needless to sa
Cal
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mothers by Sarah J Naughton is a unique, thrilling and gripping read that had me hooked almost from the very beginning. This is the story of five women, all mothers, all with their own secret that they’re desperate to keep hidden. I was drawn into the lives of these women from the outset, soon becoming invested in each individual story. And when the reserved Bella’s husband goes missing, the police soon begin to look for answers. Will they be able to find the missing man? Or is there more to ...more
Hannah Wingfield
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This was the best psychological thriller I have read in a long time (I didn't guess all the twists, yay!) and I loved the exploration of women's friendships, especially when all they had in common was the ages of their children. BUT the ignorance about autism in this book is outstanding! Minor spoiler about how autism comes up in the book (view spoiler). From the stereotypical "symptoms" to the assessment process and, most ridiculously of all, the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• In Five Years
  • All the Wrong Places
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams, #2)
  • Her Dark Heart (Detective Gina Harte, #5)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Safe House
  • The Matchmaker
  • The Lying Room
  • Death Deserved (Alexander Blix & Emma Ramm, #1)
  • A Good Man
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Violet
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward, #5)