Jump to ratings and reviews

The FireNight Prophecies #1

Gifts of Fire and Ice

The Gift of Fire to Save Us...
The Gift of Fire to Awaken Us...

Valinet is a gifter. She’s good with fire magic, but little does she know she is one of the most powerful gifters of the empire. Torn between the life she knows and one that she does not, Valinet and her brother Serg must decide if they will brave the dangers of the Middle Desert to seek protection in WindFall.

With their lives turned upside down, they must find their own path within the empire. Pushed apart by fate, they struggle to stay connected to one another, while noble Bloodlines seek their own ambitions. Are the Bloodlines seeking Valinet? Will they seek to employ her or try to take her power? Can Serg keep himself out of the watchful eyes of the Bloodlines?

Gifts of Fire and Ice is book one of the FireNight Prophecies. It brings the Fire Empire into focus just as it is starting to unravel. Noble Bloodlines seek to weaken the emperor’s grasp, pulling in Valinet, Serg, and even the emperor’s own children. They must play every hand they have to win.

480 pages, Kindle Edition

Published March 2, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Darren Boeck

5 books93 followers
Darren Boeck is an avid reader of both science fiction and fantasy novels. Writer of Adult/YA Epic Fantasy. When not working on this current series, he can be found navigating life with his wife, four daughters, and two dogs.

Newsletter: http://darrenboeck.com/
(Signup on the Main Page, Lefthand Side)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DarrenBoeck
Facebook: http://facebook.com/AuthorDarrenBoeck
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/darren.boeck/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
Profile Image for Kat.
Author 8 books329 followers
December 5, 2022
GIFTS OF FIRE AND ICE was an excellent epic fantasy adventure. Val and Serg have grown up in a small village at a far corner of the kingdom. The Fire Kingdom has defeated the Ice Kingdom and now ice wielders are outlawed. Val is exceptionally talented as a gifter who can bestow magic upon objects, perhaps the most powerful gifter ever. Serg has been chronically ill his entire life, but comes to the emperor along with his sister where it is discovered he has latent power that can only be released with the death of another gifter. I loved all of the characters in this novel. There was a large cast, but it still felt very readable and I didn’t find myself getting confused as I sometimes do in long epic fantasies with large casts. I liked Princess Nola, Blur and Kelson especially. The world building was nicely done and as the book reaches its climax several characters have big changes in store that will take us into book two in new and interesting ways. Excited to see what happens next! 5/5 stars.
Profile Image for E.P. Stavs.
Author 13 books82 followers
March 31, 2021
This was a thoroughly enjoyable YA fantasy! Boeck creates a beautifully developed and interesting world, exploring just enough regions to be interesting but not overwhelming but also leaving new and exciting areas left to be explored in future books. There was a wide range of characters with diverse abilities and personalities, and I particularly liked Serg's character arc. His strengths weren't the usual MC's strengths, which was refreshing, and I loved his sense of loyalty. Overall, a solid, well-written story and one I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys long, adventure-filled epic fantasy.
Profile Image for Clare Liscott.
10 reviews3 followers
March 2, 2022
I enjoyed this novel. The author created an interesting world, with convincing social structures and forms of magic. The main characters were likeable and the villains all too credible. There was a strong plot, complete with intriguing twists and surprises. Fantasy fans will be keen to read more of the books in this series.
Profile Image for Jonathan Alder.
Author 6 books11 followers
January 16, 2021
Gifts of Ice and Fire starts off as a hero's journey, and turns into so much more. The book's strength is in its world and characters. Fantasy is often one of my favorite genres, but its also the one that I'm typically most critical of the characters. Boeck exceeded my expectations by getting me to care about the characters and their pursuits. He excels at weaving together a mix of sub-genres and emotions that is sure to satisfy readers.

By the end of the book, the characters felt real and I was fully invested in learning how the story continues in book 2. I'm excited to learn more about the culture and magic, and how the characters will handle the next phase of the story.
Profile Image for Michele Quirke.
Author 2 books123 followers
December 16, 2021
Packed with fantastic world-building, lots of action, and enjoyable characters, Gifts of Fire and Ice by Darren Boeck is a fantastic YA fantasy novel.

Although I enjoyed the magic system and various locations we got to see throughout the novel, what stood out to me most were the characters. Serg, in particular, was my favorite. I feel like he had such tremendous growth and really came into himself as the story progressed.

Also...SIBLINGS! It's such a challenge to find books where a pair of siblings takes center stage, but that's exactly what we find in Gifts of Fire and Ice. I greatly enjoyed Serg and Val's relationship! There was also a wonderful cast of side characters and I must say, I 100% ship Serg and Princess Nora! I'm excited to see where book 2 takes them!

If you're a fan of epic fantasy with lots of action and adventure, then this is the book for you!
Profile Image for Jodie Reneé.
58 reviews7 followers
January 15, 2022
A Fantastic Debut from a Talented Author

Gifts of Fire and Ice follows two siblings, Serg and Val, as they embark on a journey of self discovery as their whole lives change overnight.

I loved this book! Powerful females, perfectly imperfect protagonists, a magic system that is fascinating, fantastic fantasy world building and political intrigue aplenty. Lovers of high fantasy will enjoy this book.

By the end, I had so many questions that I need answering. I’m really interested to see where Boeck takes his characters next.
Profile Image for A.D. Green.
Author 2 books25 followers
April 21, 2020
Gifts of Fire and Ice is a YA Fantasy book and the first in a series. I have reviewed it as such.

The book is well suited for YA Fantasy. It's not overtly gratuitous in violence and there's no swearing although that is not to say it doesn’t have some dark scenes in it.

I found the book quite light and an easy until around 70% in when everything starts ramping up. Culminating in a shock I did not see coming.

The book has likeable characters – not least the two main protagonists – but also several readers I am sure will love to hate.

If you like YA Fantasy but are unsure on whether to take a chance on a first time author then try the ‘Look Inside’ and read a chapter. Book Two - Essence of Life I believe is out later this year.
Profile Image for Zak D.
38 reviews
December 12, 2022
What I liked:
The world felt very developed from the start. The worldbuilding was done really well.
The magic system was fascinating! A mage is either ice-based or fire-based and has set abilities depending on their attunement. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book.
I liked Serg as a character a lot. He was relatable on many levels.
The unexpected twists in the story at the end were done really well!

What I didn't like:
I didn't understand Val's motivations much of the time after they arrived at the palace. She left her brother alone and rarely checked on him. For someone who was so protective of him at the start, it felt a little odd.
69 reviews
December 28, 2020
Good Story, but

another author who doesn't give a hoot about quality?
This is a good story, I'm on book 2 and disappointed book 3 is not out yet.
I don't understand why he didn't do more to ensure he released product worthy of his story. I have seen worse, but that doesn't excuse it.
47 reviews
October 25, 2021
Great book

This book was great. Really enjoyed it. I know it is the 1st book And every character is interesting To learn about.
February 14, 2022
Fun to read

Not a great story but still a good one. The story seemed to rely a lot on "helpful" strangers", and good luck.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.