Start by marking “The Elder Trials (The Raven's Prophecy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Elder Trials (The Raven's Prophecy, #1)

The Elder Trials (The Raven's Prophecy, #1)

In the Viking village of Greytree, Astrid Mace is different. She is unaware of her roots, her troubled entry into the world and the powers she possesses. Powers she will need if her village is to survive The Elder Trials. All 13 of the Neophytes (children turning 13) in the village must compete and complete in 13 trials. Can the three Lords who rule over Greytree be truste ...more
Published October 5th 2019 by Murder of Crows Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Elder Trials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elder Trials

Start your review of The Elder Trials (The Raven's Prophecy, #1)
Heather
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read for anyone who loves adventure, magic and Vikings. Astrid is such a strong young woman who faces impossible odds but with the help of her friends and her unknown heritage meets them head on.
Nora
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
:) found it :) have a good day

James Edwards
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic. Great character developments. intriguing over arching story full of unanswered questions. The trials themselves were also very entertaining to read. Could not recommend high enough.
Tanya
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
James and Marc describe this series as a cross between The Hunger Games and Viking mythology. (Please correct me guys!! I’m tired and may have that slightly wrong!!)
Whether that’s right or wrong, that’s certainly true.
This new world they’ve created has yet to give up most of its secrets I think, and I wonder if there are other beings and things yet to be discovered. Some of the ones in this book are not part of your average Viking world, that’s for sure!!
There are laughs in here (the story behin
Tasha Leigh
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
If you love Vikings and quests and adventure (or your kidlets do), then this book is for you. Coming in at around 250 pages, it's not all that long but wow does it pack a punch.

Full of questing and intrigue as well as friendship and all around happy feels, it was a quick and easy read. I will say though, there are a few parts where it may be a little scary (there's a spider the size of a cow that's just *shudder*).

Basically if you think Hunger Games, a little Percy Jackson with some Warrior of
Wendy Edwards
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great little story! Well done Lindsay brothers. This one kept me interested until the end. Great to see a strong, female main character in this fantasy novel for middle school children. Some of the graphic descriptions of the various trials reminded me of horror movies I watched in the eighties. This book had a little bit of everything: adventure, horror, drama and some sadness. I can see why so many of our year 4-6 students have been enjoying this book. Looking forward to reading the nex ...more
Chloe Alexis
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Astrid is my new fav character. I wasn’t crying at the end, you were crying. Highly recommend for readers of fantasy, mythology and Vikings.

Please tell me book 2 is coming out soon!
Olivia Ganzenmuller
The Elder Trails by Marc and James Lindsay: Middle-Grade Fantasy - Sword and Sorcery. Vikings. Action. Adventure. Coming-of-Age. Games, Contests, and Trails. Family. Friendship. Rivalry. Creatures. Chosen One.

I enjoyed this novel. It has all the ingredients of a fantastic middle-grade fantasy with the voice and tone of an adult novel. There's no sex or explicit language, but there is moderate violence.

It follows thirteen thirteen-year-olds of the village of Greytree as they compete in the Eld
Magenta
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I really enjoyed the Hunger Games-esque trials and how different they were. I also thoroughly enjoyed Astrid and her family! I found Astrid to be a really compelling character that I couldn’t help but to root for. It was definitely just Norse enough for me to enjoy, but also different enough to find interesting as opposed to the same story being told again. I am really looking forward to the next novel in the series! I couldn’t put this down and finished it in two sittings. Wi ...more
Jody
Feb 29, 2020
Kate Rossato
Apr 09, 2020
Julie Meagher
Feb 24, 2020
Sonu
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2020
Sophie Thomson
Jul 26, 2020
James Lindsay
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cooper
Dec 04, 2019
Cobine books 1 2 Oct 10, 2019 05:20PM

• The gods of Silverlake
  • Dreamcatcher: A Raven's Prophecy Tale
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1)
  • Graevale (The Medoran Chronicles, #4)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (Dog Man, #3)
  • Dog Man Unleashed (Dog Man, #2)
  • Dog Man and Cat Kid (Dog Man, #4)
  • Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (Dog Man, #5)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Grime and Punishment (Dog Man, #9)
  • Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls (Dog Man, #7)
  • Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (Dog Man, #6)
Born in 1972, Katherine, NT and married with three children I have always loved to read in particular fantasy fiction. My favourite authors include JRR Tolkien, Robert E Howard, Stephen King, Raymond E Feist and the awesome Matthew Reilly. Growing up I was always a bit of a geek, in particular my love of comics and horror movies, something that has stayed with me well into my “mature years”.

I was