Start by marking “Darker Than Night” as Want to Read:
Darker Than Night

Darker Than Night

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT HIDES IN THE DARKNESS...
DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T THERE.

Horror novelist Michael Anthony is going home -- taking his family from New York to the small Missouri town where he grew up with his eccentric grandmother. But when they move into her old house, they find that something already resides there.

In the walls, under the floors, in the darkest c
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published November 1st 1999 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Darker Than Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darker Than Night

Jason Fenner
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where to start?! It had me shaking the book was so scary. I started to believe I was seeing shadows lurking in the dark. Be wary when reading you will fall victim to the same thing. Great book all around will read it again and again.
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun haunted house story.
Robert Lease
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book by Owl Goingback. He adds a modern twist to Native American legends.
D.
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Owl Goingback does an exceptional job of getting into a readers mind. There was a night that I was reading this that I walked into the basement and a scene from this book flashed through my mind. He's a strong writer, and his books are fun in the same way that good horror movies are fun: You care about the characters, and you want to see how they get out of the creepy/terrible/horrible situations they are in.

This is Owl's version of a haunted house story, although it's really more than that. The
Scott
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: spooks
Crota was my first fabulous experience with Owl. The whole subterranean city concept is a bid draw for me. Having picked Darker Than Night up at my local thrift shop and just completing it, I look forward to more Hopi mythological terror fests. DTN was a bit slow in the terror department...this book reads more like a campfire-tale Twilight Zone series with spooky encounters and lore rather than the book where you sleep with the your nightlight collection in full force.
Yvonne Mendez
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is a standard horror story complete with a house in the woods, children in peril, ancient evils and a dead cat. In this case the ancient evils fall in with Native American legends, so it is a book that will keep you interested, even though the author gets in his soap box from time to time with themes about gun control and violence on TV. The ending felt abrupt leaving lots of loose ends, maybe there will be a part II?
Seth Tucker
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fantastic read from a great horror writer. This book was much more slow burn than his previous novels that I've read, but this story was so very disturbing by how strange the events in the stories were. The villainous creatures in this book were also very well conceived. As the book arrived at its climax, I found myself regretting reading it in the dark.
Craig
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a rather standard haunting story with some interesting Native American twists. The horror-writer-as-protagonist-in-a-horror-novel is a shtick that's way over-used, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Megan
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: one-per-month
Didn't love the writing and the occasional weird political screeds, but the story was good and the monsters creepy.
Ryan Lieske
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Decent time-killer, if you're not looking for anything too heavy. Most of it's pretty standard, but it has its moments.
Tiffany O'Brien
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit predictable, but the premise is great.
Randy