Start by marking “The Stoic Art of Living: Inner Resilience and Outer Results” as Want to Read:
The Stoic Art of Living: Inner Resilience and Outer Results

The Stoic Art of Living: Inner Resilience and Outer Results

Tom Morris's exuberant seminars and presentations to business leaders have taken the commanding heights of corporate America by storm and his books on philosophy for businesspeople have sold millions. Dr. Morris shows how the ideas of Stoic Philosophy - which emphasizes goals like gaining command of one's passions and achieving indifference to pain and distress - are compl ...more
Published April 7th 2004 by Open Court (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Stoic Art of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stoic Art of Living

Dan Wiener
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Life changing and perspective altering. I used to be an avid reader and this was an excellent choice to get back into it. This might be the best book I have ever read. The only thing that is good in and of itself lies in the will, your willpower. Anything that happens that is outside the realm of your own will is out of your control and is thus neither necessarily good, or bad. Regardless, feels good to finish an entire book.
Sergei Moska
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Looking at the title, you may have trouble figuring out whether to classify this in "philosophy" or "self-help". It's self-help. That's not a knock against the book, but that's what it is.

The book's style is as follows. Many short chapters are divided into three sections, with each section corresponding to a Stoic thinker: Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius. Each chapter has a theme (e.g.: "Clarity for the Journey", "Obstacles and Anger", etc.), and in each Morris quotes the Stoic and then o
Adam
May 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sociopolitical
I had thought that this was going to be a book about philosophy and, specifically, the Stoics. Instead, it was a self-help book with cherry-picked quotes from three Stoic philosophers used to back up otherwise unsupported opinions. And it read like an essay I might have written in high school - sort of like a very slightly more mature version of Who Moved My Cheese?

And I guess I could have been OK with that had it been done well or with some modicum of insight. Instead, the advice came across li
Colin
A self-help type instruction manual in Stoic philosophy, my only complaint is that it is too "dumbed-down" for my taste. Heck, Morris doesn't even cite his sources in the original languages! But I found it to be a user-friendly introduction to the philosophy.
Carlos
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great book.. lots of perspective
Robert
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I last read this book on 12/2/13. Still good.
Sam
Nov 05, 2011
Carl
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Tom Morris has become one of the most active public philosophers in the world due to his unusual ability to bring the greatest wisdom of the past into the challenges of the present.

A native of Durham, North Carolina and a Distinguished Alumnus of Durham Academy, Tom was a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, which has honored him, along with Michael Jordan, as a reci