Start by marking “Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps” as Want to Read:

In World War II much of Asia fell under Japanese control after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

All non-Asians were imprisoned in concentration camps until August of 1945, the end of the war in the Pacific.

This is the story of a Dutch family, resident in the Dutch East Indies, that fell victim to the Japanese occupation and was interned in jungle camps throug
Published September 18th 2019 by BristleCone Press

To ask other readers questions about Perils and Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perils and Pearls

Start your review of Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
Cheryl
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Hulda's mother sharing her memories of their time in the prison camps. It is people who have lived and were fortunate to survive horrific ordeals like this that are willing to share their stories that we can read about them. Hopefully, readers come away from these types of books with more appreciation for their freedom and learn from history.

Thus the reason I picked up this book to read about Hulda and her family's survival in the prison camps. This book does read like a memoir. Wh
Stephanie Jane
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, history
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Perils And Pearls tells the story of a colonial Dutch family from their earliest incursions into Indonesia until their eventual return to the Netherlands at Indonesian independence. The book starts with a family history of the men, who were mostly military doctors, going back as far as the 1600s and 1700s when the Dutch nation exported many of its people under the auspices of the Dutch East Indies Company. The Dutch history in east Asia at th
Faris Abdala
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a fresh insight on the history of the Indonesian archipelago during World War 2.

The first part talks about the author's family. It was interesting to see how some of the Dutch, born and raised in Indonesia, also consider Indonesia to be their home and have difficulty adjusting to life at the Netherlands. I never considered this point of view before. Being an Indonesian living abroad, I sympathize with how they felt. No matter how much better the foreign country is, it is still
Marilyn Wilson
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
As an author who has interviewed people for over a decade on their life journey, I have come to realize how important these personal stories are. Perils and Pearls discusses an event in history that I had heard nothing about - the Japanese imprisonment of Dutch nationals living in Indonesia in the 1940's. Why, I wonder, was this not a part of the history I learned growing up?

Perils and Pearls starts by exploring a bit of Dutch history, focused largely on the author's ancestors. She also covers h
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
I loved that Perils and Pearls provides a view of a family’s experiences during World War II from different setting that I usually find. I liked that this covered Indonesia and the Netherlands throughout the book.

The story begins with the patriarchal line, dating back to the 1600s. I struggled with this portion of the story a bit. I had a hard time keeping all the family members straight, and I’m unsure if this much detail was truly necessary to the overall story. It was interesting to see how B
Carla
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading historical novels, documentaries and biographies. They give a intimate look at a period of time, offering new insight and encourages you to take a deeper look at a time period, to research more and understand the people, lives and cultures.

This book does just that, I never knew about the Dutch that lived in Indonesia and the route to Indonesia Independence. This was never discussed at school and I don’t think I have ever seen this in media accounts or in any of the books that I ha
LAWonder10
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a harrowing account of a family from Holland who was caught up in and experienced some of the devastation of World War ll.

I discovered the Japanese trained their Samurai soldiers from their youth, in methods of torture as part of their training. Several were named. It is incredible to me that individuals can be so inhumane to create such cruel methods of causing pain in others.

This story is very well written. I didn't put the book down until I was finished! Although it offers a clear p
Ibjoy1953
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts On This Book

My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I enjoy reading about history so I was excited to be able to read and review this book. This is the first hand story of Huldah and her family. In the beginning we learn more about her family, and then more grueling accounts of what happened to the family after 1942 when Japan invaded the Dutch Indies. So much of Huldah’s story is very difficult to read, it gives more insite to what actually happend. I could hardly imagine Hulda, her mom and br
Deacon Tom F
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great family story.
Leila
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am not usually one to read memoirs or historical books, but something about this one intrigued me.

I have to admit, the first chapter to chapter and a half, I found to be long, drawn out, confusing and boring – it wasn’t so much the book, it is definitely me. I am not a history person; I have never liked history. The first chapter or so was history. It was a background of history, geography, and family lineage.

The middle of Chapter 2 really started focus on the author and her family which is wh
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Told from the recollections and journal entries of the author's parents' points of view, along with historical fact, this book will appeal to nonfiction readers who want both the historical as well as personal aspects of war. The beginning has a poetic feel, I believe influenced by the author's father, who seems to have been not only a man of medicine but who appreciated history and, from the language, literature alike. It calls to me like works I have discovered via our own local historical soc ...more
Angela Thompson
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perils and Pearls Shares a Look at WWII that I Missed. I had no idea that these Japanese prison camps existed. The camps were missing from any history that I learned from the time. Through her family's memories and her childhood memories, she reveals details and images of which so many of us are unaware.

The Author's Writing Style Differs from Many Memoirs. I enjoy memoirs because of the emotions and the memories shared by the authors. Hulda writes from a more educational and informational angle
chelle reads
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
For someone who’s mother’s family parted in WWll, this book gave me a deeper insight and understanding of what was really endured and witnessed during those harsh times.
I wouldn’t even have the guts to sit down and listen to a story, only after, recording and researching it all down to paper. That takes work, and I appreciate the author for sharing her journey.
Other than that, a great historical description of life and loss. It was very interesting to read and you could tell, the author took h
Amy
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps was a fascinating read to me. Hulda Bachman-Neeb tells of the suffering her family endured during the World War II.
Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps told me about something I never heard of before. I learned so much about what happened to people who were not of Asian descent in the Pacific during the second wo
Dalene W.
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well researched book

I decided to read this book because a lady in my neighborhood was a nurse missionary to China prior to and after the Japanese invaded China. She was also imprisoned in a concentration camp by the Japanese. She passed away when I was very young and I’ve always wanted to know what she must have endued while in captivity. This book is very well written.
Stan Waters
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest Account of Dutch Family Saga following capture by the Japanese in WWII.

I enjoyed this story immensely. It covered just enough specifics to be informative without getting bogged down in the details. Told from a child's perspective, it gave true insight to a young family's experiences at the hands of their Japanese captors in the Islands of Indonesia during WWII.
Sharon Jones
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A historical eye openet

This book was filled with so much historical information before the war thus giving me a new look at the world of the Netherlands. The subsequent story of this families' experience during and after the war is something people should not forget. They were a tight knit family with perseverance and fortitude. We did not have to be regaled with detailed horror to realize the great suffering g these people incurred under their captors. I find it sad Thatcher Empire of Japan has
Gay Deputee
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale

Reading this book was a rare step away from my preferred genre of fantasy/science fiction. However, once I started reading I didnt stop until I read the entire book. Very well written account, a subject I was only nominally aware of. Thank you for sharing your story.
CG
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other side of the story

There are many books about the Holocaust and Japanese P.O.W.'s, and rightfully so. This is the first one I've seen that talks in detail about what civilian prisoners endured. The author laid the history of not only her family's trials but also a partial history of Indonesia. It was an enlightening book about the strength of family.
Cindelu
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

This a well written book about a fascinating subject. Many of us were unaware of the atrocities revealed in this book. It is a lesson in war and humankind . The strength and courage of all involved was amazing.
Teresa
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pacific unknown war

I did know a little from unbroken but did not know this happened.Great story. So sorry about your brothe. rs
W JACK MARTIN
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic information as to forgotten or little known facts regarding the treatment received by prisoners of the Japanese Military.
Robert Brown
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

What a history lesson! I did not know the Japanese were that far down the Pacific Rim. What a story, to be caught between the Japanese and the Germans,
Mary Kaye Carruth
Powerful story!

Well written story about internment and survival in the Dutch East Indies. Very enlightening information that has been sadly overlooked in history.
Dayle
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
WOW! Amazing book by a Dutch family imprisoned by the Japanese during WW2. I’ve read many books about the war but never knew anything about the Dutch East Indies.
Bonnie Randolph
Richard Hoxworth
Feb 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bury Him: A Memoir of the Viet Nam War
  • Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)
  • Before We Were Yours
  • Scattered Rays of Light: The Incredible Survival Story of The Kotowski Family During WW2 (Holocaust Survivor Memoir, World War II Book 1)
  • The Duke's Yuletide Blessing: Christmas Regency Romance (A Regency Christmas Book 2)
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
  • A Goddess Among Men
  • What Did You Do In The War, Sister?: Catholic Sisters in the WWII Nazi Resistance
  • Above the Star (The 8th Island Trilogy #1)
  • Life in the Camel Lane: Embrace the Adventure
  • Save my Children. An Astonishing Tale of Survival and its Unlikely Hero
  • The Takeaway Men
  • Mendelevski's Box: A heartwarming and heartbreaking Jewish survivor's journey
  • When I Die I'm Going to Heaven 'Cause I've Spent My Time in Hell: A Memoir of My Year As an Army Nurse in Vietnam
  • The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)
  • The Colors of All the Cattle (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #19)
  • Simonne—A Passion for Life: A Holocaust survivor’s tale
Hulda Bachman–Neeb was born in Indonesia of colonial Dutch parentage two years before the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941. Because much of Asia fell under Japanese control, all non-Asians were imprisoned in concentration camps until August of 1945, the end of the war in the Pacific.

As a member of the Dutch Foreign Service in her adult life, Hulda held assignments in twenty-five countries o