Start by marking “Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps” as Want to Read:

In World War II much of Asia fell under Japanese control after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

All non-Asians were imprisoned in concentration camps until August of 1945, the end of the war in the Pacific.

This is the story of a Dutch family, resident in the Dutch East Indies, that fell victim to the Japanese occupation and was interned in jungle camps
Published September 18th 2019 by BristleCone Press

To ask other readers questions about Perils and Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perils and Pearls

Start your review of Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
Deacon Tom  Frankenfield
Great family story.
Faris Abdala
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a fresh insight on the history of the Indonesian archipelago during World War 2.

The first part talks about the author's family. It was interesting to see how some of the Dutch, born and raised in Indonesia, also consider Indonesia to be their home and have difficulty adjusting to life at the Netherlands. I never considered this point of view before. Being an Indonesian living abroad, I sympathize with how they felt. No matter how much better the foreign country is, it is still
Dalene W.
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well researched book

I decided to read this book because a lady in my neighborhood was a nurse missionary to China prior to and after the Japanese invaded China. She was also imprisoned in a concentration camp by the Japanese. She passed away when I was very young and Ive always wanted to know what she must have endued while in captivity. This book is very well written.
Stan Waters
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest Account of Dutch Family Saga following capture by the Japanese in WWII.

I enjoyed this story immensely. It covered just enough specifics to be informative without getting bogged down in the details. Told from a child's perspective, it gave true insight to a young family's experiences at the hands of their Japanese captors in the Islands of Indonesia during WWII.
Sharon Jones
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A historical eye openet

This book was filled with so much historical information before the war thus giving me a new look at the world of the Netherlands. The subsequent story of this families' experience during and after the war is something people should not forget. They were a tight knit family with perseverance and fortitude. We did not have to be regaled with detailed horror to realize the great suffering g these people incurred under their captors. I find it sad Thatcher Empire of Japan has
Gay Deputee
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale

Reading this book was a rare step away from my preferred genre of fantasy/science fiction. However, once I started reading I didnt stop until I read the entire book. Very well written account, a subject I was only nominally aware of. Thank you for sharing your story.
CG
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other side of the story

There are many books about the Holocaust and Japanese P.O.W.'s, and rightfully so. This is the first one I've seen that talks in detail about what civilian prisoners endured. The author laid the history of not only her family's trials but also a partial history of Indonesia. It was an enlightening book about the strength of family.
Cindelu
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

This a well written book about a fascinating subject. Many of us were unaware of the atrocities revealed in this book. It is a lesson in war and humankind . The strength and courage of all involved was amazing.
W JACK MARTIN
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic information as to forgotten or little known facts regarding the treatment received by prisoners of the Japanese Military.
Robert Brown
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

What a history lesson! I did not know the Japanese were that far down the Pacific Rim. What a story, to be caught between the Japanese and the Germans,
Mary Kaye Carruth
Powerful story!

Well written story about internment and survival in the Dutch East Indies. Very enlightening information that has been sadly overlooked in history.
Dayle
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
WOW! Amazing book by a Dutch family imprisoned by the Japanese during WW2. Ive read many books about the war but never knew anything about the Dutch East Indies. ...more
Bonnie Randolph
John E. Smith
Feb 06, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Before We Were Yours
  • The Duke's Yuletide Blessing: Christmas Regency Romance (A Regency Christmas Book 2)
  • 3mph:The Adventures of One Woman's Walk Around the World
  • A Wedding for the Widower (Brush Creek Brides #1)
  • Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 1-3
  • Miss Devon's Choice (Branches of Love #5)
  • Scattered Rays of Light: The Incredible Survival Story of The Kotowski Family During WW2 (Holocaust Survivor Memoir, World War II Book 1)
  • Special Delivery (The Saints of San Diego #2)
  • The Colors of All the Cattle (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #19)
  • Smoky: How a Tiny Yorkshire Terrier Became a World War II American Army Hero, Therapy Dog and Hollywood Star (Animal Heroes Book 2)
  • The Image Seeker (Bold Women of the 20th Century, Book 2)
  • Buttons in my soup: Holocaust survivor story (True WW2 Surviving Memoir)
  • Horns of the Devil (Jeff Trask Crime Drama, #2)
  • She's Having a Baby (The Saints of San Diego #1)
  • The Curse: A Shocking True Story of Superstition, Human Sacrifice and Cannibalism (True Crime)
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • When I Fall, I Shall Rise: A Holocaust Survivor Memoir
Hulda BachmanNeeb was born in Indonesia of colonial Dutch parentage two years before the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941. Because much of Asia fell under Japanese control, all non-Asians were imprisoned in concentration camps until August of 1945, the end of the war in the Pacific.

As a member of the Dutch Foreign Service in her adult life, Hulda held assignments in twenty-five countries

News & Interviews