Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
The Silent Treatment

The Silent Treatment

___________________________
A lifetime together. Six months of silence. One last chance.

Frank hasn't spoken to his wife Maggie for six months.

For weeks they have lived under the same roof, slept in the same bed and eaten at the same table all without words.

Maggie has plenty of ideas as to why her husband has gone quiet.

But it will take another heartbreaking turn of events
Expected publication: April 2nd 2020 by Century

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Start your review of The Silent Treatment
Nilufer Ozmekik
What is wrong with me? Dont say everything I can hear you! Why didnt I like this book so much?
I think Im not in a wrong place, Im at home and its not wrong time, its around 2 a.m. I finished a book and writing a review (Actually I started it but probably finish it tomorrow and post it another time line and who cares, my timing is still right!) so this is not youre in the wrong place at the wrong time situation. This is totally youre holding the wrong book for your taste and you cannot connect
Emer (A Little Haze)
Do you ever feel like you're just the wrong reader for a book? That for some reason a perfectly well written book with an interesting plot just doesn't appeal to you.

That's what has happened to me with The Silent Treatment.

There are no real reasons why I didn't enjoy this book as I should have. I think it's purely down to very personal reasons. I just felt very alienated from the world of these characters as what they were experiencing was something too removed from my own life.

The story
Jayme
There is no doubt that this debut novel is well written...

It just wasnt a story that I could relate to personally, as I never had the desire to have children.

I was expecting a book about the break down of a relationship but did not realize there would be a strong focus on parenting when I requested this.

Maggie doesnt feel like she, or her family can be complete, unless she becomes a mother. And, her greatest desire is to not only become a Mom, but to be the best version of a Mom, that a woman
Gilly Macmillan
In her tremendously moving debut, a novel that pulses with emotional tension, Abbie Greaves masterfully unpicks a history of ordinary lives facing extraordinary challenges. I found it impossible to look away from the relationship at the heart of this novel.
Elaine
I was stoked when I received a copy of The Silent Treatment from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I thought the premise was intriguing, yet as I was reading, I realized it was a bit hard to suspend disbelief for.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Frank and Maggie have been married for a long time. When a family tragedy forces Frank to withdraw from the only woman he's ever loved, Maggie takes a drastic step herself that forces her husband to reassess their life together.

Will Frank be able to save Maggie before
Hristina
This book is written just beautifully. I liked so much about it, but even if I didn't, the writing would've been enough for me to enjoy it. It flowed so naturally, and it helped me immerse myself in the story almost immediately, which is not something a lot of books do.
This is a character driven book, and they were brought to the page perfectly. Their relationship and the issues within it were intriguing throughout the read.
This was amazing, and it was hard to put down. I recommend it.

*Copy
Juana
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, novels, arc
** I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest and unbiased review **

This book enthralled me on so many levels that it is almost difficult for me to find the words to explain why its a novel Id recommend. The voice of the two main characters, Frank and Maggie, is so powerful that I really felt as if I was intruding in their lives, peeking at their diaries, at their most intimate moments.

Both characters feel so real that, even with the mystery of the secret that led
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
THE SILENT TREATMENT is a beautiful, emotional debut read and I absolutely loved it! Also, I will caveat that gushing review with the fact that Im probably the perfect audience for this book. After reading the reviews, I understand that someone who hasnt been married for many years or who doesnt have kids, wouldnt experience the same connection with Frank and Maggie that I did. It gave me all the feels and was absolutely relatable. ...more
Mary Lou
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frank has not spoken to Maggie, his wife of forty years, in six months.
Maggie is now critically ill in hospital and Frank has little time to explain why he has been silent for so long.
Im afraid this book was not for me. I revisited the blurb on Netgalley to clarify my inappropriate selection but the summary is actually vague enough to mislead me. Let me just stress, the problem lies with me, many will absolutely love this book.
I may be pedantic, but I like an accurate backdrop against which a
Robin
Compelling and emotional. I couldn't put it down.

More review to come soon.

To be published in April 2020. Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
Karen
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Because that is what love is, isnt it? Giving without receiving. Of course, there is always the hope of receiving. Tiny, precious, fragile. You can be batted away a thousand times and still it will be there, too."

Oh my. I read this book in one sitting and it broke my heart to a million pieces. By the end, I was sobbing. I don't want to give too much away of the plot. This is basically a story about marriage and parenting. The way I felt about this story was the way I felt as I was reading
Joan
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this novel has one of the best editorial commentaries (blurbs) that I have read for a long time. Straight away you know that at the very heart of this novel is a devastating family crisis, and this is the type of story that I really like to read and enjoy. I thought the actual story was even better than that though and I know it will stay with me for a very long time.
The story revolves around Frank, his wife Maggie and their only child Eleanor, a surprise arrival after years of trying
Jodie
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an emotional look at the love and marriage of Frank and Maggie. The story begins with Maggie taking an overdose of sleeping pills and Frank finding her some time later. The two had not spoken to each other for the past six months despite living and sleeping together. When Maggie is ventilated and sedated, Maggies nurse Daisy encourages Frank to talk to Maggie and to tell their story.
Frank recalls the story of the two of them and speaks this to Maggie over the next several days. He
Sherri Puzey
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
25 // I am struck by how much there is to say, how much I should have said, and yet how very little feels appropriate. And how do you start to talk again, when you stopped so long ago?

THE SILENT TREATMENT opens with a man who has not spoken a single word in six months struggling to call emergency services for his wife, who then ends up in a coma. the rest of the book is devoted to uncovering what prompted this mans silent treatment and what unfolded in this couples marriage in the decades prior.
Kyles
The Silent Treatment is a truly emotional read and one that felt a little too close to home in a lot of ways.

It is easy to see myself in Maggie and my husband in Frank.having gone through similar trials and tribulations; having similar personality traits and emotional states. I wont go into that lest I reveal too much. suffice to say the characters feel completely authentic; their responses to lifes hardships, to love, loss and grief felt so realdredging up some things I would much rather leave
Joodith
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie, having been happily married for forty years have hit a bump in the road. Actually it's more of a colossal boulder which neither of them seems able to clamber over or around. For the past six months Frank has not uttered one word to Maggie. Not one. But why?

One morning he finds Maggie slumped over the kitchen table having apparently swallowed the contents of a bottle of sleeping tabelts. Did she intend to kill herself, or was this an attempt to shake Frank out of his dreadful
Andrienne
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have been married for forty years and recently, they stopped talking for 6 months. This book is about marriage, being a parent and trying so hard to be good at both. Loved it. It crushed me.

Thanks to the publisher for letting me read early.
Jacqueline Allan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sincere thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me an ebook copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I enjoyed this story very much and felt like I knew each character personally due to the description of them. I enjoyed the storyline. This is not my usual genre but in this instance I am extremely pleased and grateful for opening up my mind to something totally different. Thanks again.
Nancy Carty Lepri
I have reviewed this book for the New York Journal of Books where it will be posted on their site the evening before the release date.

"The Silent Treatment" by Abbie Greaves
Harper
April 7, 2020
10-0062978772
Women's Psychological Fiction.

Professor Frank Hobbs never thought he'd find love, that is until he met Maggie. Working on his Ph.D. at Oxford, he takes a break and spots the vivacious young woman at the Rose & Crown, knowing from the beginning she is the one for him. At age 26, Frank is
Bidisha
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trickles into the heart and grips you to pay attention
Rating - 3.75
#NetGalley #TheSilentTreatment #AbbieGreaves
It is hard to believe this was written by a debutante. It is moving, to say the least.
The Silent Treatment urges you to re-examine life and relationships, a la Julian Barnes Sense of an Ending. It is hard-hitting yet humble, creating that rare combination that is scarce in this genre. In its essence, Greaves debut novel is a love story. The spouses have stopped speaking with each
Jennifer Garber
Alison Eden
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
#TheSilentTreatment #NetGalley An emotional book about the roller coaster lives of Frank and Maggie. Their love story draws you in and you really feel the emotions from both Frank and Maggie's perspective. However, I did find the book to very slow to get going and I didn't really enjoy the way the story was told as Frank reliving their whole relationship. For me there was too much detail and not enough action. The change of narrative half way through to show Maggie's perspective did bring about ...more
Natasha Ellis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its not often a book makes me cry, this book did. A really heartbreaking, well written story about marriage and being a parent. Highly recommend. ...more
The Nerd Daily
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Beth Mowbray

In her debut novel, Abbie Greaves breathes life into a tale of love, sorrow, guilt, and secrets. This beautifully written story of marriage through the years is both uplifting and heartbreaking, sometimes at the very same time.

In the first pages, we are introduced to Maggie under rather extreme circumstances. She is sitting in the kitchen opening multiple sleeping pill capsules, preparing to take them all, but at the same time she is
Caroline Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have had a lifetime together but for the last six months, Frank hasnt uttered a word to Maggie. Life has continued -eating, sleeping, sex - but no words. Maggie has tried to make him talk to her without success. So Maggie takes matters into her own hands.

My first thought on reading the blurb of this book was to wonder what exactly could make a husband stop speaking to his wife for six months? Did she do something wrong? Or did he? Was there something he was ashamed of? Feeling
Honestmamreader
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silent Treatment is the fantastic debut novel by Abbie Greaves, and if this novel is a marker point for the rest of her work. Then I will definitely be putting them on my wish list.

Maggie and Frank have not spoken a word to each other in six months. They have been happily married for forty years. And, are still living under the same roof, eating meals together and sharing the same bed. But, they don't speak. What is the reason behind The Silent Treatment.

This story takes us on a journey to
Joanne
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What to say about The Silent Treatment? Well if I tell you that, despite finding it tricky to concentrate on books much recently, I read this in one day, I think that tells you how much I adored this book.

I don't want to say much about the plot at all beyond what you can tell from the back of the book details. For six months, Frank has not spoken to his wife Maggie who he has been with for forty years. Maggie has her own thoughts as to why this is and up till now has been just biding her time,
Joan
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Advance Readers Edition

Maggie and Frank, married for some forty years, have, by choice, not spoken to each other for the past six months.

Not one word.

Today, Maggie lies in the hospital, unconscious, quite possibly never to recover from her suicide attempt. And now, finally, Frank will talk to Maggie. But will his words be enough . . . or are they too little and far too late?

Well-defined characters populate this eloquent tale of a marriage floundering over the secrets both are keeping.
Rachael Stray
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lifetime together.
Six months of silence.
One last chance.

From the outside Frank and Maggie share a happy and loving marriage. Then why haven't they spoken for the past six months?

Why has Frank just shut down and stopped speaking to his beloved wife?

Still living together, eating together and sleeping together but without a word spoken - just what has happened to make Frank stop speaking to Maggie?

How much longer will the silent treatment carry on?

Everything changes when Frank finds Maggie
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Frank has not spoken a word to his wife in 6 months, so will Maggie trying to take her own life spur Frank on to reveal what he has not been able to say for all of this time?

The Silent Treatment was a surprising heart-breaking read for me. I was expecting a thriller type story a dark and hidden family secret to be revealed but instead we got the story of a relationship; its origins, the marriage and the trials of parenthood. The book deals with some very hard-hitting issues (which I cant really
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The 24-Hour Café
  • Three Hours
  • Mix Tape
  • Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up
Abbie Greaves studied at Cambridge University before working in a literary agency for a number of years.

She was inspired to write her first novel, THE SILENT TREATMENT, after reading a newspaper article about a boy in Japan who had never seen his parents speak to one another before. It will be published in April 2020.

Abbie lives in Edinburgh with her boyfriend and is hard at work on her follow-up