Start by marking “The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)

The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery #3)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,456 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
For the Fourth of July, Lee McKinney and her aunt debut their latest confections-chocolate frogs-at TenHuis Chocolade. The first customer to buy a croaker is the town crank. But when he later disappears and police suspect foul play, it's a chocolate clue that leads Lee to the killer.
Published December 2nd 2003 by Signet (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up

Moriah Venable
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Joe Woodward gets into a fight with the town crank Hershel Perkins, he becomes the suspect when he is missing. All the clues lead to him but Lee and Joe in he had nothing to do with it. The night of the search, Hershel comes to Lee telling her to tell her Aunt Nettie to meet at the old chapel. He doesnt trust the various people looking for him for one reason or another. Arriving they find his body and Joe following them, wondering why Lee was acting weird. Which still incriminate him. Vario ...more
Linda
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chocoholics
Shelves: challenge
If you weren't craving chocolate before you will be by the time you finish this book. I loved all the chocolate tidbits and it made me yearn for a candy store that you tend to go to while on vacation. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery was a good one.
Betty
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2016
It was predictable from the time the killer first showed up.
Tammy
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, mystery-cozy
Lee McKinney helps her aunt run TenHuis Chocolade in a tourist town. For this year's 4th of July they debut chocolate frogs in a variety of sizes. The only person to buy a large frog is also the town's most annoying citizen and it's the first time he has ever bought anything from them instead of asking for samples. When he disappears Lee's boyfriend is the prime suspect, even though he has no real motive. But there are others who do... relatives who need the money, investors in a secret land dea ...more
Shala
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been my favorite in the series so far. The characters were more likable, and the plot was less predictable.
Natasha
Nov 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
I am only just starting this book and it's awful. I am one of those people who can't stop reading something once they've started, so unfortunately, I'm trapped.
I keep hearing my elementary school teacher's voice in my head lecturing me on the importance of showing and not telling when writing stories. Why didn't Joanna Carl listen to her teachers? Way too much telling and no showing.
The original reason I decided to read this book was to try something lighthearted and unfortunately, because it is
Barbara ★
I picked up this book because I needed a book with an amphibian on the cover (and frogs work). This is the first I've read in the series and I definitely felt lost for the first few chapters. Even without having the background on the characters, I figured out the baddie early on (it was just so obvious). I did like the suspense and the chases both on land and sea. They added some real excitement and danger to this little small town in Michigan. I liked Joe but I thought he was rather close-mouth ...more
Luffy
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I "solved" a mystery in the books I read. I'm happy to have broken that barren spell. The book still rates low to me. But however awful - mind, this book is not that - a book can turn out to be, if it's your favorite genre you're gonna cut it some slack. I'm glad that there diversity in the Chocoholic series. The Joe character is no longer peripheral. He fits well into the fleshing out of Warner Pier. I found the History of early chocolate making tedious, but it's no big ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it

4 sta
Tabby Kat
Lee McKinney is building a new life for herself, working at her Aunt Nettie's chocolate shop in Warner Pier, Michigan. An old acquaintance from high school, Joe Woodyard, is showing interest in Lee and he asks her to accompany him on a romantic dinner and river cruise. Unfortunately Joe has a run-in with an eccentric man, Hershel Perkins, who accuses him of illegally tearing down an old root beer stand. When Hershel's canoe is found near Joe's place, the police suspect there may have been some f ...more
Robin
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This one was a bit sad because the victim was not very bright. He was more misunderstood then anything and although no one deserves to die most characters you seem to see in books as the victim have been made out to be unlikable but this guy wasn't. I almost cried when they found the Chocolate Frog. The book ends well and I think the couple even goes one step further on the romance path but they are still agonizingly slow but at least they're officially together now. I stalled after this one due ...more
Dawn Michelle
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it

3 1/2 Stars
Read~February 27, 2010

Well!
My wish (from the last book) was granted!!
Much better storyline, the bad "person" wasn't immediately known (though I had idea's of who it was, it wasn't in the first couple of chapters like in the previous books) and the "why" was interesting as well.
I still love these characters. And as she fleshes them out, they really become very enjoyable to spend time with. And yes, the storyline was better, but still, there is PLENTY of room for growth. I am hopin
George
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Third in the mystery series involving Texas transplant Lee McKinney. Now living in Warner Pier, Michigan a small resort community on the shores of Lake Michigan. Lee lives and works with her Aunt Nettie who owns and operates a chocolate business. Lee finds herself involved in another murder with her boyfriend, Joe, as the chief suspect, so works to unravel the mystery to help clear Joe.

An entertaining read with a good mystery to be solved. Interspersed with chocolate lore as well as explaination
Quanita
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A man is murdered shortly after purchasing a chocolate frog. Another man is framed for the murder and several attempts are made on the life of the accused. Many people disliked the murdered man, no one appears to dislike the accused. This is a great cozy about the acquisition of waterfront property and how a handmade white chocolate frog with dark chocolate spots helps to solve the case and point out the killer.
Steve
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy read, took 2 days. I like this series because you don't have to think too much. The setting of the west side of Northern Michigan is the reason I am drawn to this series as I love the area. Will the pending romance of Lee and Joe get side tracked again in this mystery. The chocolate shop (which I assume is an off shoot of Kilwins) seems to be going strong when murder strikes the small town of Warner Pier yet again.
Carol
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I always read books that have food in the title and this one was a good one. I have read others in the series that centers around a chocolate shop - heaven on earth! It's just a fun mystery about what did the town's strange person and what did he know that got him killed and why try to frame Joe Woodyard a wood boat restorer and his girlfriend Lee, the bookkeeper of the chocolate shop?
Quick read with no bad language!!
Roger
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
There are always mysteries in small towns. Things we don't know that are going on. This may be a perfect example of that. It was a fun book to read, it looked like the characters liked having a good time, and there was even a second mystery throughout. But the ending may not be such a surprise as the author intended.
Kellene
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: culinary
I liked this book, and it was a quick, easy read. Yes, I had the killer figured out almost immediately, but the motive took a couple more chapters. It was still a fun story and I liked the main characters, Lee and Joe, a lot. I need to go back and read the first part of the series, but I think I will enjoy doing so.
Mary
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am borrowing these from libraries and enjoyed this story. Lee and her boyfriend are set up and attacked because of what Herschel knew. As they start getting attacked, they are not under suspicion and now the pieces are falling into place. Dolly Jolly, a visitor writing a cookbook, even helps bring all the pieces together.
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice, easy read. I think they are calling these "cozy" mysteries now. All I know is, they are fun to read, I can read a whole one in two bedtime reading sessions, and I don't have to think about them so hard it keeps me awake. I don't worry too much if I figure out the answer before Lee does, it's fun to see how she gets there.
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2003
The town crank is murdered, but Lee's boyfriend Joe looks like the most likely suspect. Can she clear his name? Another light but fun book in this light series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up: A Chocoholic Mystery, Bk 3, PB-B @ 2003, 8/5/04. Hershel Perkin's canoe is found smashed and half submerged near boyfriend Joe Woodyard's Boat shop, after the two men had a public altarcation in the post office Now Hershel has disappeared, and Joe is the suspect. Lee must solve the mystery to clear Joe's name. Okay.
ChrisGA
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The frog is a brain-damaged man who is notorious for his rants and crusades against what he perceives as wrong. Unfortunately, Joe got in his crosshairs over the demolition of an old drive-in theater. Once again, Lee and Aunt Nettie find a dead body and try to find the murderer. Diverting mystery. Satisfying ending.
Jenn
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This was alright. The main character's weird speech thing annoys me. The who in whodunit in this one was pretty damn transparent. Overall, it was okay, but I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't have to pay for it.
Babs
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a lovely wee book. It's never going to win any prizes for outstanding literature, but it's a nice book to curl up with in a cosy chair with some chocolates. Great for rainy days or when you're feeling a wee bit under the weather (as I am at the moment) and need an easy "cheer you up" read.
Shannon
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I originally started this series because of the Michigan connection, and I generally like them. This one, though, seemed a little thin on plot, but I would read it anyway to keep the thread of the Lee's story going.
Karen
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Such a fun book! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery!
Helen
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite a good cozy mystery. While based in a chocolate shop, there wasn't too much food stuff to spoil the plot, and there was interesting information about vintage boats. However, I picked the murderer halfway through.
Christine
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoy that each book has a chocolate theme this one is frogs. I can picture the shop, the workers and the smell. Glad Lee and Joe are growing together. I love Dolly Jolly- what a lady and a nice addition to the crew.
Barbara
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
What can I say about this. I love the bits of the history of chocolate interspersed in this book. Otherwise, I guess this is a typical cozy mystery. Not especially complicated or thought provoking, but very enjoyable to read. I guess that the point overall.

Enjoy what you read.
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Murder by the Glass (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)